2015 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by YmoBeThere » January 4th, 2015, 11:26 am

Bob Green wrote:
Bob Green wrote:T.J. Rahming with two touchdown receptions in the Army All American Bowl and Ben Humphreys with a Pick 6.
Correction - one of Rahming's TDs was on a run (end around).

Per Olympic Fan on DBR, who had a long talk with a football staffer, Coach Cutcliffe is not looking to bring in a transfer QB. He believes some combo of Sirk, Boehme and Pierre will work.
Which could be a smoke screen? No one will really know until Miller goes somewhere. I do find the last comment interesting as they got a total of 16 pass attempts this season between them. In 2013, Cut was willing to use Connette, he was definitely capable of playing as we saw from all the time he got filling in for Anthony in 2013. Other than running situations, Sirk didn't get many snaps. The counter to my argument is Pierre as I'm uncertain on Pierre's status. Did he redshirt this year? Maybe he is the heir apparent? That or we switch to running the ball more than we did this year...hoping for 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 4th, 2015, 3:13 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
Bob Green wrote:
Bob Green wrote:T.J. Rahming with two touchdown receptions in the Army All American Bowl and Ben Humphreys with a Pick 6.
Correction - one of Rahming's TDs was on a run (end around).

Per Olympic Fan on DBR, who had a long talk with a football staffer, Coach Cutcliffe is not looking to bring in a transfer QB. He believes some combo of Sirk, Boehme and Pierre will work.
Which could be a smoke screen? No one will really know until Miller goes somewhere. I do find the last comment interesting as they got a total of 16 pass attempts this season between them. In 2013, Cut was willing to use Connette, he was definitely capable of playing as we saw from all the time he got filling in for Anthony in 2013. Other than running situations, Sirk didn't get many snaps. The counter to my argument is Pierre as I'm uncertain on Pierre's status. Did he redshirt this year? Maybe he is the heir apparent? That or we switch to running the ball more than we did this year...hoping for 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
Pierre did redshirt the 2014 season. Should be a very interesting competition for the QB spot(s) for 2015.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 4th, 2015, 7:26 pm

Okay, I shouldn't second guess Coach Cut. But given my years of sitting on a couch watching and occasionally attending in person, I feel the need to weigh in.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 5th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Semper Fi:

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college- ... rican-bowl

Duke safety Jordan Hayes with a 4th Quarter interception as East beat West 24-3.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 5th, 2015, 6:54 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:The counter to my argument is Pierre as I'm uncertain on Pierre's status. Did he redshirt this year? Maybe he is the heir apparent? That or we switch to running the ball more than we did this year...hoping for 4 yards and a cloud of dust.
Per a Jim Sumner post at DBR, Nico Pierre has the potential to be great, but it is uncertain whether he will be ready to go as a redshirt freshman so Sirk might be the safer option in the short term. I think there is a good possibility we see a couple of things in 2015:

1. Two QBs sharing the duties on alternate possessions or alternate quarters or something like that.
2. Duke running the ball a lot more turning into a true read option team.

Sirk and Pierre can both run although we haven't seen Pierre yet. With Duncan back in the mix alongside Powell, we will have two power backs to pound away between the tackles. I'd line Wilson up in the slot and run/fake the jet sweep as part of the read option package and run the ball 80% of the time until QB development catches up.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 7th, 2015, 7:41 am

Per a Jim Sumner post at DBR, Nico Pierre has the potential to be great, but it is uncertain whether he will be ready to go as a redshirt freshman so Sirk might be the safer option in the short term. I think there is a good possibility we see a couple of things in 2015:

1. Two QBs sharing the duties on alternate possessions or alternate quarters or something like that.

Sirk and Pierre can both run although we haven't seen Pierre yet. With Duncan back in the mix alongside Powell, we will have two power backs to pound away between the tackles. I'd line Wilson up in the slot and run/fake the jet sweep as part of the read option package and run the ball 80% of the time until QB development catches up.
Maybe this is why some feel a one and done transfer would work at this moment.

BTW, I didn't realize we had Zach Morris from California among our signees...
Attachments
o-ZACK-MORRIS-facebook.jpg
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 7th, 2015, 7:43 am

YmoBeThere wrote:

Maybe this is why some feel a one and done transfer would work at this moment.

BTW, I didn't realize we had Zach Morris from California among our signees...
Oh, my mistake, it is this Zach Morris from Georgia...

http://sports.yahoo.com/duke/football/r ... ZJUDUzMV8x
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » January 7th, 2015, 11:31 am

With all due respect to Thomas Sirk and Nicco Pierre, I do not believe the 2015 team will have any shot at winning the Coastal division with one of them as the QB. Using different QB's on alternate possessions will not work the way it did in 2013. The 2015 team will have such an experienced defense and special teams. The offensive live will be solid, and the running back group will be as strong as it has ever been under Cutcliffe. Maybe Jim Sumner is right, and Nicco will be a great QB soon. But I have no reason to think that Thomas Sirk can throw the ball effectively, since he was give ZERO opportunities this past year, even when Anthony Boone was playing horrific football.

I was really hoping Jeff Driskel was going to suit up for us next season. If Cutcliffe does not bring in a QB, I think we will see an 8/9 win football team next season. That doesn't sound bad, but the talent around the QB position is good enough to win 10 games and get back to the ACC championship game. I hope I am wrong.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 7th, 2015, 4:13 pm

wolfpackdevil wrote:If Cutcliffe does not bring in a QB, I think we will see an 8/9 win football team next season. That doesn't sound bad, but the talent around the QB position is good enough to win 10 games and get back to the ACC championship game. I hope I am wrong.
Check your PMs at DBR.

10 wins would be nice, but I agree with you 8/9 is more likely.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 18th, 2015, 10:39 am

Jeremy McDuffie is a Blue Devil! He is a 3* cornerback from Georgia with offers from Tennessee, Florida, South Carolina, Minnesota, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, Georgia Tech and Louisville among others.

http://duke.scout.com/player/7758457n-jeremy-mcduffie

This is another big win for the program.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 18th, 2015, 11:46 am

Jeremy McDuffie was the 2014 Georgia State Champion in the 110 Meter Hurdles, 300 Meter Hurdles and Triple Jump:

http://www.ghsa.net/sites/default/fi...6A_Results.pdf

His times:

110 - 13.87
300 - 37.57
Triple Jump - 49.00

He was also a member of the Shiloh High School State Championship 4 X 100 Meter Relay team
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 18th, 2015, 9:23 pm

Sweet, I'm assuming he'll be joining some of the other guys on the track team, too?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 18th, 2015, 10:09 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Sweet, I'm assuming he'll be joining some of the other guys on the track team, too?

I sure hope so:

:flash:
The Football Fan

Post by The Football Fan » January 18th, 2015, 10:33 pm

Strange....ESPNs talent evaluators seem to think that's just average speed. Lets hipe his ACL heals well and he still has that speed when he returns!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 19th, 2015, 7:06 am

DE Twazanga Mugala is commit #18. ESPN profile lists him at 6'3" 202 but the story at Scout says he is currently 225.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... nga-mugala

He is from Charlotte (Ardrey Kell HS).
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 19th, 2015, 12:02 pm

Signing Day will be here before we know it.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 22nd, 2015, 5:07 pm

Some buzz about a 4* DE Marques Ford who decommitted from Tennessee.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 22nd, 2015, 5:32 pm

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... rques-ford

The word on Ford is he has strong academics.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 22nd, 2015, 6:05 pm

Bob Green wrote:http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... rques-ford

The word on Ford is he has strong academics.
That'd be great. Go get 'em, Cut! Interesting stats again with 6-3 and 217 sounding more like a LB than a DE/DT.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 3rd, 2015, 10:51 am

WR Flynn Nagel has flipped to Northwestern. This sucks! Football desperately needs an early signing period.