CTN vibes for Devil in the Blue Dress Mom

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: CTN vibes for Devil in the Blue Dress Mom

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 17th, 2012, 12:03 pm

Speaking from experience, I imagine that by now you've settled into a routine of sorts. You know, when and where you park or have your lunch or help the staff figure out the way she likes to have her bed set up, how and when to dispose of the flowers that have seen better days, when rounds are made, what nurses (good and bad) are on what shifts and when those changes take place, and on and on and on. You've become a veteran.

I hope that perky smile of yours hasn't been lost, that you've found a way to refresh yourself when necessary, having learned that this is not a sprint.

Love ya, girl. Hang tight.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 17th, 2012, 1:03 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Speaking from experience, I imagine that by now you've settled into a routine of sorts. You know, when and where you park or have your lunch or help the staff figure out the way she likes to have her bed set up, how and when to dispose of the flowers that have seen better days, when rounds are made, what nurses (good and bad) are on what shifts and when those changes take place, and on and on and on. You've become a veteran.

I hope that perky smile of yours hasn't been lost, that you've found a way to refresh yourself when necessary, having learned that this is not a sprint.

Love ya, girl. Hang tight.
Love, Ima
Yes, you've got the description down pretty well! The continuing rotation of staff means I often have to reiterate various points lost in the huge volume of information now available. One wonderful constant is the doctor overseeing the rehab program. The social worker has been a viable conduit for raising questions and getting information requiring follow up, especially pertaining to length of stay and some procedural concerns. Some of what I observe makes me think briefly about returning to work and using my Duke management training to improve a few rough spots in staff coordination and staff interaction with/within hearing of patients and their families.

i find myself on the verge of tears at unpredictable times, but try to fit in some exercise along the way to relieve the stress. Yesterday I finally got in to see the dr. myself and now am being treated for the sinus infection that's been dragging me down. Tomorrow I'm going to do something that's fun! ;;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 17th, 2012, 2:28 pm

DitBD, continued vibes and prayers for your Mom.

Have a wonderful, happy, stress-free tomorrow!
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 17th, 2012, 7:26 pm

Back from the hospital and playing the role of ombudsman. Turns out that one heart med was being given at too high a dose.... dose cut in half today.

I remember being told that Mom was being fed through the PEG tube only at night now. That change occurred about the time of the surgery last week. A resourceful nurse, the one who ID'd the dosage problem, noticed this and also noticed that Mom was being given about half the nutrition an adult should receive. Hola! Side effects of not enough to eat day after day plus not eating during the day at all? Fatigue, difficulty completing PT, drowsiness, cognitive impairment.... all of which I have observed this week. Today Mom went back on regular intervals of being fed during the day and is being fed sufficient nutrition for an adult.

I hope these adjustments bring some immediate improvement! ;;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2012, 7:51 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Back from the hospital and playing the role of ombudsman. Turns out that one heart med was being given at too high a dose.... dose cut in half today.

I remember being told that Mom was being fed through the PEG tube only at night now. That change occurred about the time of the surgery last week. A resourceful nurse, the one who ID'd the dosage problem, noticed this and also noticed that Mom was being given about half the nutrition an adult should receive. Hola! Side effects of not enough to eat day after day plus not eating during the day at all? Fatigue, difficulty completing PT, drowsiness, cognitive impairment.... all of which I have observed this week. Today Mom went back on regular intervals of being fed during the day and is being fed sufficient nutrition for an adult.

Oy!! I hope she improves. At least the nurse ID'd the problems! Megavibes!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 17th, 2012, 10:24 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Back from the hospital and playing the role of ombudsman. Turns out that one heart med was being given at too high a dose.... dose cut in half today.

A good nurse is worth his/her weight in gold! Major kudos to the nurse, and strong vibes that the improved nutrition helps bring your mom further down the road to recovery. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 18th, 2012, 9:48 am

Vibes! :wizard:

And tips! ;) Nurses seem to be quite fond of hot/fresh Krispy Kremes.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 18th, 2012, 10:46 am

Continued vibes, prayers & Hugs! to you and Mom both! :wizard: :ymhug: :YMPRAY:

PS: Nurses like homemade cookies too - like you have time to do that!
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 18th, 2012, 11:04 pm

I've started this post over several times. I keep writing down what I really think about lack of sufficient communication among staff in hospitals -- especially Duke since we've had such extensive experience there. Then I backspace, not trusting myself to keep my cool. I'd better just shut up.

Just let me say I'm glad somebody finally noticed and took care of your mom's diet.
Love, Ima
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 21st, 2012, 8:38 pm

Thursday's the big day for the next swallow study. Lots of prayers and positive thinking needed for this one. It's my hope and prayer that the dilation worked and that Mom can begin to ease back into eating and drinking normally. If she is unable to so, she will not be able to return to assisted living after a transitional stay in skilled nursing.

It also looks as if she'll transition to skilled nursing on Thursday afternoon. If she's not requiring oxygen, she can ride in my car. If she continues to need oxygen (as she does now), other transportation will be necessary.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 21st, 2012, 9:28 pm

Continued vibes and prayers for you and your Mom. :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :ymhug:
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 21st, 2012, 9:49 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Continued vibes and prayers for you and your Mom. :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :ymhug:
I echo my sister lawgrad's sentiments. :wizard: :wizard: :ymhug: :pray: :pray:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 21st, 2012, 11:05 pm

Continued prayers and vibes from Kansas.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » August 21st, 2012, 11:13 pm

More prayers and vibes to your mom and to you. :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 22nd, 2012, 7:31 pm

You and your mom are still on my radar screen. Checking on you regularly and sending cyber energy and love. Good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted. Sure hope she gets to go "home".
Love, Ima
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 22nd, 2012, 8:07 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:You and your mom are still on my radar screen. Checking on you regularly and sending cyber energy and love. Good luck tomorrow. Keep us posted. Sure hope she gets to go "home".
Love, Ima
That's good work you're doing, Ima!

Today was the best since August 9, when Mom rolled back over to the hospital for the ENT procedure. She laughed and had some humorous things to say while staying upright in the wheelchair in the late afternoon.

(1) No more barrier gowns or gloves
(2) Not on oxygen
(3) No dips in blood pressure or heat beat during therapy sessions today

Adjustments are being made to reduce dosages of some of the heart meds. Mom is feeling much better and functioning better. The pain from the shingles is difficult to manage. As the sores have healed,the pain's continued to increase.

An X-ray will be done, perhaps tonight, to see how much healing has occurred. We all hope Mom's ribs have healed enough to get rid of the thoracic brace which she find very painful.

Tomorrow the swallow study will be done. Discharge to go to sub acute care is scheduled for Friday. ;;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 22nd, 2012, 9:25 pm

Vibes and prayers that the swallow test goes well tomorrow. I'll be thinking of you both and checking here for an update.
I worship the Blue Devil!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 25th, 2012, 8:56 am

:wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 25th, 2012, 10:20 am

captmojo wrote::wizard:
Thank you, captmojo! This weekend is the quiet before the move.

The X-rays are done; the orthopedist concluded that Mom must stay in the very painful brace another 6 weeks... Monday I'm getting in touch with our primary care physician to try to determine if my recall of a previous injury to that part of the back was identified within the past 3 years or so. If this is a previous injury, the X-rays will not change and the brace is not needed. I think the pain following shingles had made the brace almost unbearable at times.

In the swallow study, the problem that could lead to aspiration pneumonia is no longer there. Not sure what the results were on the second part of the study, but Mom was allowed ice chips yesterday... an upgrade from nothing by mouth.

Monday Mom will ride in my car to the skilled nursing facility where the next step of her recovery begins. This will be her first time outside the hospital campus since July 16.

She's looking and sounding better, but has a way to go. You've all been a part of the continuing support which is central to making good progress! ;;)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 25th, 2012, 10:35 am

YAY! It sounds like your mom is making slow, but steady progress. She continues to be in my prayers, DitBD.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith