Olympic Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Re: Olympic Thread

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 7th, 2012, 7:36 pm

Lavabe wrote:Dan Patrick reported that the Canadians were warned in advance not to delay the game. Ive seen no confirmation of that. Julie Foudy of ESPN reported that the world feed showed that the ref may have warned the Canadian goalkeep in advance of the call. Having said that, Foufy has never seen the call made in a game.

But otherwise, the Canadian and American press are really going at it. Colchar summed up the Canadian view. American bloggers are pissed at Canada's Tancredi stomping on Carli Lloyd's head (I've seen that headline). The video is searchable on nbc's olympic site. The stomp occurred at the 55th minute mark. And there are other claims floating around the blogosphere.

Bad calls all around. Canadians should be pissed. Likewise, The Tancredi no-red was really bad. A red card would have expelled her. For the game, Tancredi received a yellow, to go with her 7 fouls.

According to the Toronto Sun, The bigger immediate issue may be that FIFA is looking at Canadian player comments about the ref after the game. The fear is that soccer's governing body may penalize players for their comments.
WHAT? Some player STOMPED on somebody? Never heard of THAT before. 8-|
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2012, 7:43 pm

From ESPN's write-up of the men's basketball game, it appears that Chris Paul has been up to his old antics.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2012, 8:45 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:From ESPN's write-up of the men's basketball game, it appears that Chris Paul has been up to his old antics.
In all fairness, K was upset when Argentina hit someone (Melo?) in the junk. I'm sure that K told Paul that Julius Hodge was on the floor.
:scared-eek:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 7th, 2012, 9:18 pm

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:From ESPN's write-up of the men's basketball game, it appears that Chris Paul has been up to his old antics.
In all fairness, K was upset when Argentina hit someone (Melo?) in the junk. I'm sure that K told Paul that Julius Hodge was on the floor.
Apparently, the hit on Melo was retaliation. The person that hit Melo was the person that allegedly got ChrisPauled. Given the past record of the accused, I tend to believe the player from Argentina. Not that I endorse the retaliation, of course.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 7th, 2012, 10:12 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
Apparently, the hit on Melo was retaliation. The person that hit Melo was the person that allegedly got ChrisPauled. Given the past record of the accused, I tend to believe the player from Argentina. Not that I endorse the retaliation, of course.
I, as well, cannot condone the retaliation shot. The Argentine popped the wrong guy...didn't he?
Anthony was an innocent bystander. #-o
Moral: when opposite Paul, wear a cup and save the boys.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 7th, 2012, 11:33 pm

The Dutch gymnast on the high bar was amazing!
Life is good!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 8th, 2012, 2:41 am

Lavabe wrote:Dan Patrick reported that the Canadians were warned in advance not to delay the game. Ive seen no confirmation of that. Julie Foudy of ESPN reported that the world feed showed that the ref may have warned the Canadian goalkeep in advance of the call. Having said that, Foufy has never seen the call made in a game.
She wasn't warned and that is the crux of the complaint - that a warning is the most that ever happens. Instead, she was called for it without having been given a warning.

Colchar summed up the Canadian view.
And the British view (from what I have read in the British papers) and they don't have a dog in the race, they are simply experts on soccer.

According to the Toronto Sun, The bigger immediate issue may be that FIFA is looking at Canadian player comments about the ref after the game. The fear is that soccer's governing body may penalize players for their comments.

Instead of investigating the girls for making comments (they're from a free country and made the comments in a free country so FIFA can go fuck itself) about the officiating, why not investigate the actual officiating itself?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 8th, 2012, 2:44 am

I cannot watch Olympic basketball. What fun is there in watching the US kick the crap out of damned near every team in the tournament? Nobody can compete with them - it is as bad as women's hockey in which Canada and the US beat the everloving shit out of every country they play and then face each other for the gold medal in every single tournament. The sport shouldn't even be included because no other countries are even close to being competitive. Things are a little closer in basketball, but not by much.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2012, 6:57 am

Patrick Davidson should have been on the team. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2012, 7:05 am

colchar wrote:

I cannot watch Olympic basketball. What fun is there in watching the US kick the crap out of damned near every team in the tournament? Nobody can compete with them - it is as bad as women's hockey in which Canada and the US beat the everloving shit out of every country they play and then face each other for the gold medal in every single tournament. The sport shouldn't even be included because no other countries are even close to being competitive. Things are a little closer in basketball, but not by much.
To be fair, the Lithuanian game was close; not the first time they've played USA close.
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » August 8th, 2012, 8:37 am

Sure bet USA will bring home Gold AND Silver in Women's Beach VB! YES!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
bluebutton
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebutton » August 8th, 2012, 11:16 am

IowaDevil wrote:Sure bet USA will bring home Gold AND Silver in Women's Beach VB! YES!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
Last weekend I tried watching the mens beach vb against russia and couldn't get into it. May-Walsh against China last night was scintillating!! Fun match to watch. Even my husband watched the 2nd set after he got in from mowing the lawn.

Haven't been interested in most of the Olympics, glad I was able to tune in at a time when something exciting was going on. (We only have broadcast, so no BBall for us :( )
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » August 8th, 2012, 12:55 pm

bluebutton wrote: Even my husband watched the 2nd set after he got in from mowing the lawn.
I can't imagine why. ;)

Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » August 8th, 2012, 6:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebutton wrote: Even my husband watched the 2nd set after he got in from mowing the lawn.
I can't imagine why. ;)

Given who he married, he was probably watching the other team (to whom I do not hold a candle...Can't say I've met many long and lean Chinese women, guess it helps to have a billion people to pick from.)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2012, 9:12 pm

That theme they play at the beach volleyball (followed by the OLE!!) is annoying as all hell.

%-(
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2012, 9:24 pm

Leo Manzano (1500m men's) is AMAZING!!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2012, 9:31 pm

By the way, don't look now, but the home team has had an incredibly good and well-deserved medal haul. Rowing, equestrian, cycling, and athletics have been stellar.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 8th, 2012, 9:34 pm

Lavabe wrote:That theme they play at the beach volleyball (followed by the OLE!!) is annoying as all hell.

%-(
Playing ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST before a set point... that's a bit strange too.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 8th, 2012, 9:43 pm

The Women's Beach Volleyball game is awesome! USA vs USA! Let's Go Misty and Keri!!!!!! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

**== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 8th, 2012, 9:49 pm

Misty and Kerri win the GOLD!!!! ThreePeat !!! **== **== **== **== **== **== **== **==