The Job Search Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by captmojo » July 16th, 2011, 8:30 am

Still wishing good luck.
Should nothing else pan out, we fishermen could use some scientific assistance with an algae bloom currently underway on our favorite lake. The pay is lousy (none) #-o but the personal satisfaction of many people and the restoration of proper oxygen levels in the water, saving the lives of a great number of aquatic creatures, can be quite rewarding.

From this :pickle: to this :banana-linedance:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 16th, 2011, 11:22 am

Lavabe wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:Haven't heard anything since the phone interview 3 weeks ago. Not feeling optimistic. :(

I have seen an ad for a teaching position that has some potential. They want someone with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry or in a related field, and they'd like someone that can teach biochemistry. Check. The school is a well-respected private university that is located about 3 hours from where I live now, which would put me about 1.5-2 hrs from my family in NW AR. Ironically, my oldest niece is currently attending this particular university. I'm going to make some preliminary inquiries before applying to see if they will consider hiring someone above the assistant prof level with my particular professional background. I think I could be a good fit. The bad thing is that the position doesn't start until August 2012.
Sorry that you haven't heard anything from the phone interview.

As for the university opening, even if they offer only an assistant level position (without any room for movement into being hired as an associate), you can always negotiate to be brought up to tenure WELL in advance of the normal term.
Good points, Lavabe. After reading their Faculty Handbook (thanks, Google!), according to their description, I easily qualify for Associate Prof status. However, your point is well taken. I really do think I'm a good fit for them (and vice-versa). It will be interesting to see how things play out. I tried to call the dept chair yesterday and didn't get an answer. Will definitely follow up. I didn't leave a voice mail message, but I should have.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 18th, 2011, 5:56 pm

captmojo wrote:Still wishing good luck.
Should nothing else pan out, we fishermen could use some scientific assistance with an algae bloom currently underway on our favorite lake. The pay is lousy (none) #-o but the personal satisfaction of many people and the restoration of proper oxygen levels in the water, saving the lives of a great number of aquatic creatures, can be quite rewarding.

From this :pickle: to this :banana-linedance:
Sorry; I can't help you out on that one - you need an aquatic ecologist. Not exactly my field of expertise. I know several of them, though, so I'll ask around. I think it may be related to nitrates or phosphates in the water.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 18th, 2011, 6:00 pm

Talked to my friend that works for the company with which I had the phone interview. She told me that they're extremely slow, so I shouldn't take it as a bad sign if I haven't heard anything back from them. That makes me feel much better! Anyway, I'm getting some advice from her on how to proceed - specifically, who the heck I should contact to find out the status of my application.

Another job ad popped up today, this one with a company in Morgantown, WV. That's pretty close to brunchgate, right?
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 18th, 2011, 6:38 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Talked to my friend that works for the company with which I had the phone interview. She told me that they're extremely slow, so I shouldn't take it as a bad sign if I haven't heard anything back from them. That makes me feel much better! Anyway, I'm getting some advice from her on how to proceed - specifically, who the heck I should contact to find out the status of my application.

Another job ad popped up today, this one with a company in Morgantown, WV. That's pretty close to brunchgate, right?
Morganton is getting closer, within reasonable driving distance anyway! :happy-bouncyblue:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 18th, 2011, 8:28 pm

Headed down the same path...not Morganton, but the Job Search thing.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 18th, 2011, 9:37 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:Headed down the same path...not Morganton, but the Job Search thing.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for you, Ymo! What's going on?

AD, WV is closer. Still holding out for RTP, though. Or Greensboro. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 18th, 2011, 11:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Sorry; I can't help you out on that one - you need an aquatic ecologist. Not exactly my field of expertise. I know several of them, though, so I'll ask around. I think it may be related to nitrates or phosphates in the water.
My understanding is that there are some aquatic biologists from UVA, that have come in to take a look but after 2 weeks, they have yet to deliver any answers. I suppose that can be partially seen as something good inasmuch as had there been the presence of any dinoflagellates in the watter, a quarrantine should have already been issued.

I have my own thoughts on the causes. A certain high-dollar resort at a slightly higher altitude, very nearby, has an also HIGH-DOLLAR ($300.00 greens fees) championship golf course, that opened up 2 years ago. There has been a lot of rainwater run-off this year, and it seems quite possible that fertilizer nutrients could be running off into the water table and eventually flowing into the feeder creeks. Lake owners are suspecting local cattle deposits. :-? Makes one understand the 'money talks' axiom.

For the previous 35+ years I've visited this lake, the cattle have been around...yet no other algae bloom has been seen by any of the local regulars, or me, on this reservoir. This lake has a 3000 acre surface area with a depth over 120 feet at the dam. I saw the bloom of green-brown goo on at least half of the surface area, the last time I was there.(July 10) A friend says it covers the entire surface now. We don't know how deeply into the water column it penetrates. I think history could show to lessen the chances that cattle droppings are to blame.

Damn shame. This could result in a massive fish kill. :Boo:
Hey resort! If you are to blame... :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: X infinity

BTW, I love the game of golf. Good luck in the club championship, Oz!
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 18th, 2011, 11:24 pm

Meanwhile, diatribe complete, back to the job search.... :ymblushing:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 19th, 2011, 12:29 am

YmoBeThere wrote:Headed down the same path...not Morganton, but the Job Search thing.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for you, Ymo.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 19th, 2011, 12:42 am

Thanks Capt.! And a pox on the golf course superintendent. If he's got that much run-off, he's wasting a ton of money on fertilizer, to say nothing about the fine they'll possibly incur for damaging the lake (and killing the fish).

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 19th, 2011, 12:43 am

Hey Capt., has your temporary layoff ended yet? Are you back on the road delivering vehicles?

DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » July 19th, 2011, 1:38 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Talked to my friend that works for the company with which I had the phone interview. She told me that they're extremely slow, so I shouldn't take it as a bad sign if I haven't heard anything back from them. That makes me feel much better! Anyway, I'm getting some advice from her on how to proceed - specifically, who the heck I should contact to find out the status of my application.

AD, I believe rthomas on DBR is a prof at WVU and a Morgantown resident. He may be a helpful resource. I've driven through - it's a beautiful part of the country.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » July 19th, 2011, 1:42 am

Oh yeah? Cincy not to your liking, or the job there?

Lmk if you want to move into the tech world; there's quite the Owen alum network in this town these days. In fact, Dean Bradford's out here right now; I won't be able to attend the public event w/ him tomorrow, unfortunately.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » July 19th, 2011, 7:01 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
Oh yeah? Cincy not to your liking, or the job there?

Lmk if you want to move into the tech world; there's quite the Owen alum network in this town these days. In fact, Dean Bradford's out here right now; I won't be able to attend the public event w/ him tomorrow, unfortunately.
Cincy is fine, the job and I are oil and water. I'm not sure which I am of the two, but we don't mix. Less the job, than the corporate culture.

Lots of people I know have been in Seattle the last couple of weeks. Two people I know were out there last week.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 19th, 2011, 9:09 am

It appears that OzzieDaughter will get to keep her job as a Pre-K teacher at her school this fall. With the State budget cuts and changes to the Pre-K program, most counties severely cut back on the More At Four programs in the public schools and many counties issued pink slips to their Pre-K teachers back in May. Not so in OD's county. She never heard anything and has been in limbo since the end of the school year. Yesterday her teacher's assistant finally got told (verbally, after umpteen unreturned phone calls) they will have a classroom in the fall (OD hasn't gotten anything official yet). So when they get back from the beach she'll have to get busy setting it up! They are actually moving from the old school to a brand new building (a completely new school) so there will be lots to do and little time to do it.

captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 19th, 2011, 11:33 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Hey Capt., has your temporary layoff ended yet? Are you back on the road delivering vehicles?
Not yet. This is week one. It could last as many as two. Kinda hope it will...gotta lot to do.
It's the natural flow of incoming production. The factories shut down on July 4th every year to re-tool for the new model year. I used to spend several weeks in N Myrtle Beach every summer, but I've collected too much seniority to get the layoff until this year, going back over the last 12 or so. I was lucky in that. At the time I started, many older guys took retirement not long after, lots of them during my first two years.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 19th, 2011, 2:08 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:It appears that OzzieDaughter will get to keep her job as a Pre-K teacher at her school this fall. With the State budget cuts and changes to the Pre-K program, most counties severely cut back on the More At Four programs in the public schools and many counties issued pink slips to their Pre-K teachers back in May. Not so in OD's county. She never heard anything and has been in limbo since the end of the school year. Yesterday her teacher's assistant finally got told (verbally, after umpteen unreturned phone calls) they will have a classroom in the fall (OD hasn't gotten anything official yet). So when they get back from the beach she'll have to get busy setting it up! They are actually moving from the old school to a brand new building (a completely new school) so there will be lots to do and little time to do it.
Did you read Judge Howdy Manning's ruling from yesterday? Here's the end of the conclusions of law and the decretal portion of the Order:
This case is not about numbers and slots. This case has always been about the rights of children. This case is about the individual right of every child to have the equal opportunity to obtain a sound basic education. The constitutional right belongs to the child, not to the adults. Each at-risk four year old that appears at the door of the NCPK this fall is a defenseless, fragile child whose background of poverty places the child at risk of subsequent academic failure.

The fact that these small children are at risk is not their fault and they may not be denied their constitutional right to the opportunity to obtain a sound basic education by adults. Likewise, it is not the adults' right to deny them their opportunity. In fact, adults have no right, morally or legally to do so.

Simply put, it is the duty of the State of North Carolina to protect each and every one of these at-risk and defenseless children, and to provide them their lawful opportunity, through a quality prekindergarten program, to take advantage of their opportunity to obtain a sound basic education as guaranteed by the North Carolina Constitution.

BASED ON THE FOREGOING, IT IS ORDERED, ADJUDGED AND DECREED THAT:

1. The State of North Carolina shall not deny any eligible at-risk four year old admission to the North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten Program (NCPK) and shall provide the quality services of the NCPK to any eligible at-risk four year old that applies.

2. The State of North Carolina shall not implement or enforce that portion of the 2011 Budget Bill, section 10.7.(f). that limits, restricts, bars or otherwise interferes, in any manner, with the admission of all eligible at-risk four year olds that apply to the prekindergarten program, including but not limited to the 20% cap restriction, or for that matter any percentage cap, of the four year olds served within the prekindergarten program, NCPK.

3. Further, the State of North Carolina shall not implement, apply or enforce any other artificial rule, barrier or regulation to deny any eligible at-risk four year old admission to the prekindergarten program, NCPK.

4. The Court is confident that the State of North Carolina will honor and discharge its constitutional duties in connection with this matter.
Of course, this ruling will be appealed. I think Judge Manning did the right thing. I think that he was courageous in doing so, since he holds an elected office, and although it's supposed to be a non-partisan elected office, he's going against his registered political party in making this ruling.

(I realize that I may have crossed the public policy line in typing that last sentence. Maybe some of you think I've crossed the public policy line in typing this entire post. I have a real passion for children's educational opportunities, however, and as a proud graduate of Head Start (yes, my parents were income-qualified), and as a past president of the PTA, I believe that these early intervention programs get positive results.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 19th, 2011, 4:13 pm

CathyCA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:It appears that OzzieDaughter will get to keep her job as a Pre-K teacher at her school this fall. With the State budget cuts and changes to the Pre-K program, most counties severely cut back on the More At Four programs in the public schools and many counties issued pink slips to their Pre-K teachers back in May. Not so in OD's county. She never heard anything and has been in limbo since the end of the school year. Yesterday her teacher's assistant finally got told (verbally, after umpteen unreturned phone calls) they will have a classroom in the fall (OD hasn't gotten anything official yet). So when they get back from the beach she'll have to get busy setting it up! They are actually moving from the old school to a brand new building (a completely new school) so there will be lots to do and little time to do it.
Did you read Judge Howdy Manning's ruling from yesterday? Here's the end of the conclusions of law and the decretal portion of the Order:
This case is not about numbers and slots. This case has always been about the rights of children. This case is about the individual right of every child to have the equal opportunity to obtain a sound basic education. The constitutional right belongs to the child, not to the adults. Each at-risk four year old that appears at the door of the NCPK this fall is a defenseless, fragile child whose background of poverty places the child at risk of subsequent academic failure.

The fact that these small children are at risk is not their fault and they may not be denied their constitutional right to the opportunity to obtain a sound basic education by adults. Likewise, it is not the adults' right to deny them their opportunity. In fact, adults have no right, morally or legally to do so.

Simply put, it is the duty of the State of North Carolina to protect each and every one of these at-risk and defenseless children, and to provide them their lawful opportunity, through a quality prekindergarten program, to take advantage of their opportunity to obtain a sound basic education as guaranteed by the North Carolina Constitution.

BASED ON THE FOREGOING, IT IS ORDERED, ADJUDGED AND DECREED THAT:

1. The State of North Carolina shall not deny any eligible at-risk four year old admission to the North Carolina Pre-Kindergarten Program (NCPK) and shall provide the quality services of the NCPK to any eligible at-risk four year old that applies.

2. The State of North Carolina shall not implement or enforce that portion of the 2011 Budget Bill, section 10.7.(f). that limits, restricts, bars or otherwise interferes, in any manner, with the admission of all eligible at-risk four year olds that apply to the prekindergarten program, including but not limited to the 20% cap restriction, or for that matter any percentage cap, of the four year olds served within the prekindergarten program, NCPK.

3. Further, the State of North Carolina shall not implement, apply or enforce any other artificial rule, barrier or regulation to deny any eligible at-risk four year old admission to the prekindergarten program, NCPK.

4. The Court is confident that the State of North Carolina will honor and discharge its constitutional duties in connection with this matter.
Of course, this ruling will be appealed. I think Judge Manning did the right thing. I think that he was courageous in doing so, since he holds an elected office, and although it's supposed to be a non-partisan elected office, he's going against his registered political party in making this ruling.

(I realize that I may have crossed the public policy line in typing that last sentence. Maybe some of you think I've crossed the public policy line in typing this entire post. I have a real passion for children's educational opportunities, however, and as a proud graduate of Head Start (yes, my parents were income-qualified), and as a past president of the PTA, I believe that these early intervention programs get positive results.
When I spoke with OD yesterday and told her of the ruling (she's at the beach) she hadn't heard about it so couldn't comment. She'll be more excited if they move the program back to the Dept. of Education and and away from DHHS (Dept. of Health and Human Services) where they moved it to in the new budget. This move really hurts the program (in her opinion) and makes it more of a day care program than a true educational endeavor requiring State certified teachers.

Thanks CathyCA, I have forwarded this info to OD. :)

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 19th, 2011, 6:45 pm

captmojo wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Sorry; I can't help you out on that one - you need an aquatic ecologist. Not exactly my field of expertise. I know several of them, though, so I'll ask around. I think it may be related to nitrates or phosphates in the water.
My understanding is that there are some aquatic biologists from UVA, that have come in to take a look but after 2 weeks, they have yet to deliver any answers. I suppose that can be partially seen as something good inasmuch as had there been the presence of any dinoflagellates in the watter, a quarrantine should have already been issued.

I have my own thoughts on the causes. A certain high-dollar resort at a slightly higher altitude, very nearby, has an also HIGH-DOLLAR ($300.00 greens fees) championship golf course, that opened up 2 years ago. There has been a lot of rainwater run-off this year, and it seems quite possible that fertilizer nutrients could be running off into the water table and eventually flowing into the feeder creeks. Lake owners are suspecting local cattle deposits. :-? Makes one understand the 'money talks' axiom.

For the previous 35+ years I've visited this lake, the cattle have been around...yet no other algae bloom has been seen by any of the local regulars, or me, on this reservoir. This lake has a 3000 acre surface area with a depth over 120 feet at the dam. I saw the bloom of green-brown goo on at least half of the surface area, the last time I was there.(July 10) A friend says it covers the entire surface now. We don't know how deeply into the water column it penetrates. I think history could show to lessen the chances that cattle droppings are to blame.

Damn shame. This could result in a massive fish kill. :Boo:
Hey resort! If you are to blame... :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: :Angry Orc: X infinity

BTW, I love the game of golf. Good luck in the club championship, Oz!
Ding, ding, ding! I believe you have hit upon the correct answer, capt! This is a HUGE issue. Farmers usually get the blame, even when the polluted body of water runs through a golf course with very, very lush grass.
-- Albert Einstein