Statler and Waldorf and CathyCA (aka The Snark Thread)

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Statler and Waldorf and CathyCA (aka The Snark Thread)

Post by Bostondevil » May 14th, 2011, 2:06 am

I was on my high school's quiz bowl team in it's first year of existence. We didn't get out of the preliminaries but it wasn't my fault. My teams final score 480 points, my individual final score 420 points. Two years later, after the coach knew what to expect in the prelims, they won the state championship, don't know how they did at nationals.

I remember once seeing Number 2 son Jack being picked on in a flag football game. I intervened when I saw he was about to hit the other kid. The kid gave him a "You're in trouble" smirk at which point I turned on him. I told him in no uncertain terms that I knew exactly what was going on, that if he kept it up I'd let Jack hit him, and that if he provoked Jack that far, I'd make sure that Jack wasn't the only one who got in trouble with the coach. I finished it with, "He may be little, but you really don't want him to land one." (I only intervened because I didn't want Jack getting in trouble, that kid would have benefitted from getting his ass handed to him.) Somewhere along the line though, kids realized that even though he's still little, it's best not to mess with Jack. As far as I know, he's never actually gotten into a fight, but he is an honor student and his way with language can be withering.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 14th, 2011, 12:38 pm

"I have no problems with going back to prison." Engvall
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 14th, 2011, 3:20 pm

OK, so I promised myself I would not join this thread. My blood pressure isn't what it used to be. So, for my own good and everybody else's, whenever I start to feel snarky I try to just take a deep breath instead. I could really get carried away with snarks. I do, however, find other's snarks interesting.

But, I just realized that it's the season once again for one of my repeated aggravations so I'm succumbing to temptation. My snark is graduates who don't know how to wear a mortarboard. They insist on bobbi-pinning them to the backs of their heads or setting them jauntily askew on one side or the other. C'mon! They are meant to be set squarely and leveled. Anything else just makes them look ignorant, drunk or just plain silly, bless their hearts.

Oddly, just as I thought, I don't feel relieved in the least. So I guess I'll go back to breathing.

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 14th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:OK, so I promised myself I would not join this thread. My blood pressure isn't what it used to be. So, for my own good and everybody else's, whenever I start to feel snarky I try to just take a deep breath instead. I could really get carried away with snarks. I do, however, find other's snarks interesting.

But, I just realized that it's the season once again for one of my repeated aggravations so I'm succumbing to temptation. My snark is graduates who don't know how to wear a mortarboard. They insist on bobbi-pinning them to the backs of their heads or setting them jauntily askew on one side or the other. C'mon! They are meant to be set squarely and leveled. Anything else just makes them look ignorant, drunk or just plain silly, bless their hearts.

Oddly, just as I thought, I don't feel relieved in the least. So I guess I'll go back to breathing.

Love, Ima
How do you feel about people who do this to their mortarboards?

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 14th, 2011, 6:17 pm

CathyCA wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:OK, so I promised myself I would not join this thread. My blood pressure isn't what it used to be. So, for my own good and everybody else's, whenever I start to feel snarky I try to just take a deep breath instead. I could really get carried away with snarks. I do, however, find other's snarks interesting.

Love, Ima

That number is probably valid. Depending on how much I drink tonight, I might call. "Have youeww found a jahb yeth?"
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 14th, 2011, 6:25 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote:

Love, Ima

That number is probably valid. Depending on how much I drink tonight, I might call. "Have youeww found a jahb yeth?"
I dare you to do that! :ymdevil:

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » May 14th, 2011, 7:02 pm

CathyCA wrote:

Love, Ima

THAT I'm absolutely cool with ..... just as long as it's on straight. But, if it were sitting all cockeyed because the wearer thinks it looks cute, as an employer I wouldn't hire the dumbell since he doesn't even know how to wear his hat! (Note the color of the jobless grad's cap and gown.)
Love, Ima

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 14th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Y'know, Ima, I noticed the same thing... :9f:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » May 14th, 2011, 8:44 pm

wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Oh, my thuggish inner city high school could so beat up your preppy honor student high school.
Mine too.
To the beat of a killer drumline.
And me and my quiz bowl teammates would whoop your team too.
I never did quiz bowl, but I did compete for my school in certamen.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » May 14th, 2011, 9:10 pm

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Oh, my thuggish inner city high school could so beat up your preppy honor student high school.
Mine too.

@};-
Every single one of us at my thuggish inner city high school could beat up your certamen and your certawomen, too.

~ James Naismith
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » May 14th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: My snark is graduates who don't know how to wear a mortarboard. They insist on bobbi-pinning them to the backs of their heads or setting them jauntily askew on one side or the other. C'mon! They are meant to be set squarely and leveled. Anything else just makes them look ignorant, drunk or just plain silly, bless their hearts.
When heads are level...drool will drip off each side of the jaw at the same time. Timing is everything. ;)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » May 15th, 2011, 8:19 am

bjornolf wrote:
wilson wrote:
Mine too.

@};-

I did quiz bowl...and the evening of my Senior Prom I was at the Atlantic Regional Math Meet on the NY State math team. Yeah, I rock the Geek.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » May 17th, 2011, 5:37 pm

Either on ET on Inside Edition last night, that Charlie Sheen was "SNARKY" with the replacement of actor/director Ashton Kutcher. Sheen probably assumed he would be invited back to top show on cbs, "Two and a half Men.". After all, the show, is about Charlie. (the character he plays).

I havent heard of any of the movie deals, or new tv gigs that Sheen thought would come in! Didnt one or both of the goddesses leave also?

Looks like Ashton is WINNING and Charlie is being SNARKY.
Turk
Part Time Student at PWing school

Turk watches the ESPYs!!

Post by Turk » July 14th, 2011, 2:40 am

Me and the boys watched the ESPYs after ball tonight, in the tavern with the sound off. Quite entertaining. While I feel like indulging my inner Joan Rivers, I also know my limitations and wouldn't dare criticize anything a female would choose to wear. (As much as I'd like to enjoy it, I don't understand the latest trend in mega-stripper-height spike heels - at seemingly 8 to 10 inches, the ladies might as well try to walk on stilts...)

As for the gents, I also understand we live in a "business casual" era that combines the worst of both terms. If an adult is wearing a suit, I can look the other way if he chooses not to wear a tie. God bless. However, no one knows how to tie a necktie anymore. The incoming ends seem to come into the knot at 10 oclock and 3 oclock, and the outgoing end comes out at 7 or even 8 oclock. How sloppy. At the risk of broadcasting my OCD, the correct angles are 11, 1, and 6 oclock, and the half-Windsor is the best knot for the job. Blake Griffin had a very classy 3 piece suit, but it looked like he pulled his shirt right out of the dirty clothes hamper - the shirt collars were flapping in the breeze like the wings of a crippled pigeon...

Even worse is the number of gentlemen wearing pants apparently 12-18 inches too long, based on the sloppy cuffs I saw on stage. It looked like quite a few guys were like a 10-year old playing dress-up by trying on his dad's pants. What's up with that? Were the tailors on strike? And then one of the performers had white ice-cream vendor pants that came halfway down his shins, so I suppose that evens things out.

We found it encouraging that even Jason Kidd, undisputably first-ballot HOFer and one of the three greatest point guards of all time, could outkick his coverage by such a wide margin. It was a travesty that Lindsay Vonn won best female athlete over Maya Moore - being a six foot blonde with a nice SI cheesecake shoot makes up for the fact that she only competes a handful of weekends a year.

Did anyone see LeChoke or DWade? Who else can I insult?
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Turk

Turk watches the ESPYs!!

Post by Turk » July 14th, 2011, 2:40 am

CathyCA, your fashion tips for interviews were pretty much on target. What do you think? Did you see any of the ESPYs?
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 14th, 2011, 7:19 am

:)) Your account makes me so sorry I missed it!
Love, Ima
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » July 14th, 2011, 7:58 am

CathyCA wrote: Every single one of us at my thuggish inner city high school could beat up your certamen and your certawomen, too.

Well, I would hope so. It was a middle school. If your high schoolers couldn't beat up a bunch of 7th graders, I'd feel bad for you. And there were no certawomen. Certamen is Latin for struggle. It has nothing to do with gender. Besides, it was an all boys' school. So, it was a little like Lord of the Flies there. You put a bunch of thugs in coats and ties and try to train them up, they're still thugs, just in coats and ties. And they figure out how to use a tie as a weapon.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 28th, 2011, 8:43 am

Any Snarky thoughts about Butch Davis or anything with the UNC football Scandal?

I have a :D :D :D since yesterday afternoon! And Good ridance! Butch embarrassed not only UNC, but the Triangle, and ACC sports. I personally hold UNC to a higher level, than Miami, or VaTech (which are outsiders of the ACC).

Kudos to the UNC Board of Trustees for forcing Chancellor Thorpe to administer the Firing of Butch Davis. The timing was shocking, but not the end result.

I want to stroll down Franklin Street in a Duke football shirt and cap. I want too, but I wont!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » July 28th, 2011, 1:07 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:Any Snarky thoughts about Butch Davis or anything with the UNC football Scandal?

I have a :D :D :D since yesterday afternoon! And Good ridance! Butch embarrassed not only UNC, but the Triangle, and ACC sports. I personally hold UNC to a higher level, than Miami, or VaTech (which are outsiders of the ACC).

Kudos to the UNC Board of Trustees for forcing Chancellor Thorpe to administer the Firing of Butch Davis. The timing was shocking, but not the end result.

I want to stroll down Franklin Street in a Duke football shirt and cap. I want too, but I wont!
Keeping in line with this thread, I think it all started to go downhill for Butch when he wanted to put a darker shade of blue on the Holes' uniforms. :happy-bouncyblue: :ymdevil:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » July 30th, 2011, 9:36 am

Being rewarded with a $2.7 million buyout, is not anything to Snark about!

Glad you brought up, that Butch wanted the darker blue stripes down the uniform, as I had forgotten about that, until you mentioned it.