WTF happened to over yonder?!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: WTF happened to over yonder?!

Post by captmojo » July 25th, 2010, 6:42 pm

ArkieDukie wrote: Let 'em try! :fight:
I just gave you an approval with the comment of..."Because I can".
Wonder how that will work out?

(insert 'I don't care' smilie here)
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2010, 6:52 pm

captmojo wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote: Let 'em try! :fight:
I just gave you an approval with the comment of..."Because I can".
Wonder how that will work out?

(insert 'I don't care' smilie here)
Thanks cap'n. I noticed that! You're truly a generous soul. And a pirate. :Pirate: :D

I also noticed that one of the moderators has visited my profile OY. Have they noticed my recent burst of activity, or was it the "disapprove" comment for one of the mods? :think: :-? :whistle: :shhh:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2010, 6:57 pm

CathyCA wrote:The whole idea of giving out pitchforks and piles of ram poo over yonder is to force them to abandon that ridiculous popularity contest that's going on.

Everyone, stay busy!

I gave out a few "so and so rocks" comments to my CTN buddies over yonder, too.
That's because you rock, Cathy! :D

Just imagine what would've happened if they'd had this crazy approve/disapprove thing going on during FDA's heyday...
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2010, 6:58 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I got a fucking red mark for my comments in the Huggins thread. What did I say? " =)) =)) =)) =)) " And for that I got a red mark? And my "points" dropped from 88 to 57.
I just posted a response asking who gave me the red dislike. Bet no one responds. Might even get an infraction point for it =))
That post is gone now, Ozzie.
-- Albert Einstein
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 25th, 2010, 6:58 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
I also noticed that one of the moderators has visited my profile OY. Have they noticed my recent burst of activity, or was it the "disapprove" comment for one of the mods? :think: :-? :whistle: :shhh:

I'm betting we all know the answer to that!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2010, 7:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:I've been giving the comment "I approve of" so-and-so but I haven't been over there a lot. Guess I need to go back
My comments from now on will consist of ".....". I don't want to explain, I just want to approve or disapprove.
I've now decided all of my positive comments will be "hrumph".
My negatives comments will be "hmmph". :D
blazing-saddles-355.jpg
I think I got "...." from you. Thanks! :-BD
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 25th, 2010, 7:04 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:I got a fucking red mark for my comments in the Huggins thread. What did I say? " =)) =)) =)) =)) " And for that I got a red mark? And my "points" dropped from 88 to 57.
I just posted a response asking who gave me the red dislike. Bet no one responds. Might even get an infraction point for it =))
Check out my response.
I tried, but I can't, because it's been moderated out of existence. Got this very nice note from one of the mods, who shall remain anonymous, but no, it wasn't Jumbo.
Negative comment and Deleted post

Ozzie, I was the one that left a negative comment, and I've now deleted your post commenting on the comment.

Comments are anonymous for a reason, and, like commenting on moderation, commenting on comments is not productive. Your latest post did nothing to advance the discussion of the thread in which you posted, and so I deleted it. I certainly could have cited you for "needless post", but decided that we're all trying to get used to the new format of things, so I'd take the less confrontational path.

As for your original post, I commented on it negatively for the same reason - it was needless. If you'll read the new guidelines, your post clearly fell into -jk's definition of needless posting. But as it wasn't actively pushing things like the latter one was, I let it stand and just used the negative comment to try and convey why it wasn't acceptable.
Not much fun over there anymore, is it?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 25th, 2010, 7:07 pm

I gave you a 'positive' too, Oz.
No. Not much fun.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 25th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Welcome all DBR refugees.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2010, 7:10 pm

captmojo wrote:I gave you a 'positive' too, Oz.
No. Not much fun.
I think the problem is that some of the moderators take themselves way too seriously. I may start getting infraction points too - one of the mods visited my profile OY quite recently. Probably because I "approved" Oz's post where he laughed at Huggy Bear.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 25th, 2010, 7:11 pm

captmojo wrote:Welcome all DBR refugees.
My name is ArkieDukie and I approve of this post. ;)
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 25th, 2010, 7:35 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Check out my response.
I tried, but I can't, because it's been moderated out of existence. Got this very nice note from one of the mods, who shall remain anonymous, but no, it wasn't Jumbo.
Negative comment and Deleted post

Ozzie, I was the one that left a negative comment, and I've now deleted your post commenting on the comment.

Comments are anonymous for a reason, and, like commenting on moderation, commenting on comments is not productive. Your latest post did nothing to advance the discussion of the thread in which you posted, and so I deleted it. I certainly could have cited you for "needless post", but decided that we're all trying to get used to the new format of things, so I'd take the less confrontational path.

As for your original post, I commented on it negatively for the same reason - it was needless. If you'll read the new guidelines, your post clearly fell into -jk's definition of needless posting. But as it wasn't actively pushing things like the latter one was, I let it stand and just used the negative comment to try and convey why it wasn't acceptable.
What a crock of shit...I had a valid point, which is that the comments now actually encourage negative responses...due to the anonymity of them. While it is against board decorum to attack another poster, it can now be done without consequences. Before, at least the negative input had a face, and was subject to scrutiny by not only the moderators but the general membership. Because of that public scrutiny, it was pretty well self policed, now it's wide open for any negative input for any reason...it might not even have anything to do with the comment itself.

"He doesn't like you. I don't like you either."
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 25th, 2010, 8:40 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: What a crock of shit...I had a valid point, which is that the comments now actually encourage negative responses...due to the anonymity of them. While it is against board decorum to attack another poster, it can now be done without consequences. Before, at least the negative input had a face, and was subject to scrutiny by not only the moderators but the general membership. Because of that public scrutiny, it was pretty well self policed, now it's wide open for any negative input for any reason...it might not even have anything to do with the comment itself.

"He doesn't like you. I don't like you either."
Anonymous comments with no consequence can hardly encourage a pleasant climate on an Internet board. Having those comments be the basis for determining "reputation points" which are then displayed in symbols for all to see seems strange and arbitrary. Are the mods over there going to police the reputation points as they are awarded or taken away? @-)
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 25th, 2010, 9:01 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:I miss Bojangles...
Come to a Brunchgate. The best Bo's I have ever been too is on Hillsborough Rd. Believer me, I have been to almost all that I have seen at one time or another. We would love to have you at a Brunchgate. :)
captmojo

Post by captmojo » July 25th, 2010, 9:55 pm

All this post-opinion stuff is gonna do is follow the path of human nature. When folks can be negative in their criticisms, especially when their identity is unknown, they certainly will be.
A buyer with a bad experience will tell 8 of 10 others, whereas one with a good purchase experience will only mention it to 2 or 3 out of 10.
Isn't what you write, other than to share that which is fact, an opinion? An opinion can only be bad or wrong if the writer is lying about his feelings. Why would one lie about his/her opinion? Those that would tell you that your opinion is wrong are just knee-jerk reacting to their differing point of view. Rather than tell others they are bad for their opinion, man up and express your own. Their is no need to purposely try to belittle others. If there is a problem with the facts of a issue it can easily be cleared up...
example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7S_XWuKpHc
"Jane, you magnificently ignorant slut!" :D

Nothing personal against Jane. I just couldn't bring myself to change the name.

Free speech rules! As long as it's a manner of speech the ? want to hear.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 25th, 2010, 10:07 pm

So, Ozzie, your ROFL regarding Huggy Bear is needless posting, but 8 posts in the 2011 Recruiting thread harping on the misspelling of 2010 recruit Tyler Thornton's last name are productive? Oh, sure, that makes sense to me. @-) :doh: 8-|
Iron Duke #1471997.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 25th, 2010, 10:24 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

Hadn't been for a while before I got banned and I got banned ages ago.

Can you imagine how the mods' heads would explode over needless posts if they read this place?
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » July 25th, 2010, 10:26 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: Anonymous comments with no consequence can hardly encourage a pleasant climate on an Internet board. Having those comments be the basis for determining "reputation points" which are then displayed in symbols for all to see seems strange and arbitrary. Are the mods over there going to police the reputation points as they are awarded or taken away? @-)

And will mods add or remove points if the mood strikes?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 25th, 2010, 10:32 pm

colchar wrote:
Devil in the Blue Dress wrote: Anonymous comments with no consequence can hardly encourage a pleasant climate on an Internet board. Having those comments be the basis for determining "reputation points" which are then displayed in symbols for all to see seems strange and arbitrary. Are the mods over there going to police the reputation points as they are awarded or taken away? @-)

And will mods add or remove points if the mood strikes?
Nobody here knows, Colchar. If they tell us, they'd probably have to kill us. :violence-torch:
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 25th, 2010, 10:40 pm

I went from 55 to 41 today and didn't even post until minutes ago.

WTF?!
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.