Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Cold

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 7th, 2010, 10:48 am

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
DukieInKansas wrote:It is snowing again. The predicted high temperature for tomorrow is 9F.
QFE :D
QFE to you and another QFE!!!! Was wondering WTH you were? :D
Very QFE! Very cool. Or should I say fucking cold!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 7th, 2010, 6:33 pm

its not even cold in efland. its 42 degrees. :flame:
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » January 7th, 2010, 6:38 pm

26F here north of Cincy and occasional snow. I was able to give Xavier grads a hard time this week, not only did they lose to Wake but they caused me to miss some of our game against Clemson.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 7th, 2010, 8:56 pm

Just got back from dinner. Area digital temps showed 35F. Cloudy, but no precip. The radar I liked earlier shows nothing withing 75 miles north or sound of the Triangle, and nothing to the west. How disappointing. But typical. As Moonpie said to me on the phone earlier today, Greg Fishel lies. A lot. :-o

YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » January 7th, 2010, 9:00 pm

35F? That's balmy...we might see that temp once in the next week or so. If that.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » January 7th, 2010, 9:09 pm

I don't think we are going to get any snow in Durham. It's a good thing too, I have too much to do at work.
I worship the Blue Devil!
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 7th, 2010, 10:02 pm

I hope we get some real snow here tonight. NC winter weather can be such a tease.
-- DukeUsul
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 8th, 2010, 6:54 pm

It was so cold this morning in Walkertown, that the air lines on my big ugly truck (from now on reffered to as B.U.T.) were frozen and the brakes wouldn't release.

I'm not disappointed.

I'm home and warm. Wind chill there was 9F! How appropriate.
You know how cold and windy it gets at airports? Same thing on the railroad's 140 acre parking lot. No trees, or leaves on them, to block the wind.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 8th, 2010, 8:33 pm

Damn damn damn damn damn. I went out to our propane tank this afternoon to check the gauge and it was down to 15%. They usually fill it before 20%, so I called them. The guy showed up after 8 p.m. (they give really good customer service, this is NOT what I'm saying damn about - these guys I appreciate.) I asked him what the price was? In late November it was $2.09 a gallon, which was up from ~$1.59 in early September. $2.45/gallon. 207 gallons plus tax. 5 fucking hundred and 48 dollars for a month's+ worth of propane. If it wasn't for the $5 - 6,000 to change back to a heat pump, I'd do it in a heart beat, because that would only cost me about $150/month, even when it's cold like it has been.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 8th, 2010, 8:41 pm

OMG!

What would it cost for you to get an old fashioned furnace, instead of a heat pump?

My natural gas bill for 11/16 to 12/16 was $87.87, and that was double what I paid the month before.

A $500+ heating bill would send me into orbit.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » January 8th, 2010, 9:46 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Damn damn damn damn damn. I went out to our propane tank this afternoon to check the gauge and it was down to 15%. They usually fill it before 20%, so I called them. The guy showed up after 8 p.m. (they give really good customer service, this is NOT what I'm saying damn about - these guys I appreciate.) I asked him what the price was? In late November it was $2.09 a gallon, which was up from ~$1.59 in early September. $2.45/gallon. 207 gallons plus tax. 5 fucking hundred and 48 dollars for a month's+ worth of propane. If it wasn't for the $5 - 6,000 to change back to a heat pump, I'd do it in a heart beat, because that would only cost me about $150/month, even when it's cold like it has been.
Wow. I've got a 3000 sqft house and I spent $135 for December on natural gas. I can't imagine trying to heat it with propane or heating oil.
-- DukeUsul
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » January 8th, 2010, 10:38 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Damn damn damn damn damn. I went out to our propane tank this afternoon to check the gauge and it was down to 15%. They usually fill it before 20%, so I called them. The guy showed up after 8 p.m. (they give really good customer service, this is NOT what I'm saying damn about - these guys I appreciate.) I asked him what the price was? In late November it was $2.09 a gallon, which was up from ~$1.59 in early September. $2.45/gallon. 207 gallons plus tax. 5 fucking hundred and 48 dollars for a month's+ worth of propane. If it wasn't for the $5 - 6,000 to change back to a heat pump, I'd do it in a heart beat, because that would only cost me about $150/month, even when it's cold like it has been.
you might think of a 500 gal. tank. thats what i have in kenansville. i've bee lucky to buy when the price is down. with the larger tank i can be picky when i buy. of course, we're not there a lot and i leave the setting on 55 degrees when were not. i keep it on 68 when we are. you might think of getting the alumium sheet in your attic asap. or maybe one of those amish stoves.

i love our outside wood furnuce. :flame: :flame:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2010, 7:35 am

See Jokes thread for cold joke :D

Just another way to pad the ol counts... :ymblushing:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2010, 7:38 am

See Cold thread for ANOTHER cold joke.

Yep, more post padding. :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 9th, 2010, 7:59 am

Mighty cold here in St. Louis, thanks to the cold front that's over us right now - 1 right now with wind chill of -10.

Devildeac, I'm surprised at you for padding your post count so blatantly. It's completely out of character. :tease:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 9th, 2010, 9:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Mighty cold here in St. Louis, thanks to the cold front that's over us right now - 1 right now with wind chill of -10.

Devildeac, I'm surprised at you for padding your post count so blatantly. It's completely out of character. :tease:
;) :ymblushing:
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » January 9th, 2010, 10:08 am

If it has to be cold, I at least get the joy of driving my Duke blue car with BLUDEVL license plate while the display shows the temperature to be 9F. Even my Camry knows to say GTH, C, GTH!
Life is good!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 9th, 2010, 10:11 am

DukieInKansas wrote:If it has to be cold, I at least get the joy of driving my Duke blue car with BLUDEVL license plate while the display shows the temperature to be 9F. Even my Camry knows to say GTH, C, GTH!
:Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: :Clap: ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ :-BD :-BD :-BD

captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2010, 10:12 am

How much would it cost you to have the furnace converted to natural gas? Might be worth it. :idea:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 9th, 2010, 10:27 am

captmojo wrote:
How much would it cost you to have the furnace converted to natural gas? Might be worth it. :idea:
I don't have natural gas on my street, which is why I went with propane years ago when I went with my gas pack instead of getting another heat pump. Back then, propane ranged from $.59 to $.89 during the season, and was about the same as natural gas on an energy cost basis, and cheaper than electricity. Not for the last few years, of course.

About 6 or 7 years ago, when I already had propane, the town sent out a questionnaire asking if we would connect to natural gas if it were be run on the street. I said no, as did several of my neighbors who also already had propane, so we didn't get it. Other parts of town did. Nothing we can do about it now.

Also, while my gas pack could be converted to NG, my "outside" gas water heater can't be converted - the literature said that when I got it. Of course, if I had both, it wouldn't be a problem.