The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 26th, 2022, 5:47 pm

I voted today, yay! It was a runoff election for our mayor and an alderman, so there were literally only 2 votes to cast.
I got a pen that says "I Voted In The 2020 Election!", which I'm very happy with, since in 2020 I was kinda pissed off that I didn't get a pen but only a lame sticker.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 27th, 2022, 6:41 am

We have a primary next week. The good news is that the spousal and child abuse allegations against Eric Greitens (of the RINO hunting ads) have caused him to drop in the polls. The bad news is that the new front runner is Eric Schmitt, who sued any and every city and county that tried to put mask mandates into place during Covid. Said he was the only one with the authority to do that. In other words, he and Hawley would be great friends.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 9:19 am

Starting today in NC, if you are an out-of-jail felon, you can register to vote. I don't think it's going to swing any elections, but it's interesting.
Starting July 27, 2022, an individual serving a felony sentence who is not in jail or prison may register to vote and vote. An individual must also have resided in North Carolina for at least 30 days prior to the election, be a U.S. citizen, and be at least 18 years old by the next general election.

Previously, under a North Carolina statute, a person serving a felony sentence could not register to vote or vote, whether they were in or out of prison, until they completed that sentence. This meant that felons serving probation, post-release supervision, or parole were not able to register or vote, until they completed their term of supervision.
https://www.ncsbe.gov/news/press-releas ... ng-july-27
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 12:02 pm

It's been impossible today to read any news sites that don't have Trump being a target of a DOJ investigation at the top of their page.

Unless you look at Fox News' webpage, in which case the headline is that Biden is an idiot.
dudog
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by dudog » July 27th, 2022, 12:28 pm

I KNEW IT!!! :D

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolo ... li=BBnb7Kz

I personally believe in something bigger than ourselves. But that's just my belief and have no interest in forcing it on anyone else. I know athiests and true believers and respect their opinions. But there is something wrong with fundamentalists.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 1:09 pm

The Wisconsin Senate race is quickly taking shape. Two major Democratic primary challengers have dropped out in the last two days, leaving Mandela Barnes (current Lieutenant Gov) to take on Ron Johnson.
It's going to be a race to watch as control of the Senate is on the line.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics ... 8634fda97f
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 1:49 pm

A majority of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters want the party to nominate someone other than president Joe Biden for the 2024 election, according to a new poll.

The percentage of such voters who don’t want Mr Biden has increased from 51 per cent in January and February to 75 per cent now.

The CNN poll was conducted between 22 July and 24 July by SSRS online among a random national sample of 1,002 adults.

The poll revealed that 24 per cent of Democrats and Democrat-leaning voters said they would like another candidate as they don’t think Mr Biden can win in 2024.
Not a surprise, but still. Ouch!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/three-fourth ... 32193.html
dudog

Post by dudog » July 27th, 2022, 2:09 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 1:49 pm
A majority of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters want the party to nominate someone other than president Joe Biden for the 2024 election, according to a new poll.

The percentage of such voters who don’t want Mr Biden has increased from 51 per cent in January and February to 75 per cent now.

The CNN poll was conducted between 22 July and 24 July by SSRS online among a random national sample of 1,002 adults.

The poll revealed that 24 per cent of Democrats and Democrat-leaning voters said they would like another candidate as they don’t think Mr Biden can win in 2024.

The whole point of Biden was to beat Trump. He did the job. The nation owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

But he'll be pushing 82 (November birthday) when people are voting. Even if everything has gotten rosy, low inflation and low unemployment, COVID defeated, low interest rates, and the federal government running a surplus...he's too old.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 27th, 2022, 3:39 pm

dudog wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 2:09 pm
July 27th, 2022, 1:49 pm

The whole point of Biden was to beat Trump. He did the job. The nation owes him a huge debt of gratitude.

But he'll be pushing 82 (November birthday) when people are voting. Even if everything has gotten rosy, low inflation and low unemployment, COVID defeated, low interest rates, and the federal government running a surplus...he's too old.
Who will replace him if he steps aside? The Dems need to find a non-radical candidate with charisma, and that's a pretty rare bird. Does Gavin Newsom have enough charisma? Stacey Abrams is current behind in pre-election Senatorial polls in Georgia, so presumably that won't work (besides, we've never had a woman president, let alone a black woman). How about our own Roy Cooper?

I can't come up with someone who really seems like a great candidate to go up against the likes of DeSantis or (unlikely) Trump.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 27th, 2022, 4:03 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 3:39 pm
Who will replace him if he steps aside? The Dems need to find a non-radical candidate with charisma, and that's a pretty rare bird. Does Gavin Newsom have enough charisma? Stacey Abrams is current behind in pre-election Senatorial polls in Georgia, so presumably that won't work (besides, we've never had a woman president, let alone a black woman). How about our own Roy Cooper?

I can't come up with someone who really seems like a great candidate to go up against the likes of DeSantis or (unlikely) Trump.
Don't ask me! :) I thought Kamala was next in line but I haven't seen anything where she's a slam-dunk. The problem: if she is passed over, does that piss off all the black women and doom the Ds up and down the ballot?

I find VERY few politicians have charisma, from local to the top. I should have neck problems from all the head shaking I do at who we choose for "leaders". They say Trump has charisma, I find him disgusting. Always have, that's not a political judgment.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 5:24 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
Hilary's rested and ready! ;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 5:26 pm

This is fuckin' awesome.
“I have notified CNN of my intent to file a lawsuit over their repeated defamatory statements against me,” Trump's statement said. “I will also be commencing actions against other media outlets who have defamed me and defrauded the public regarding the overwhelming evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 election.”
He's notified half the planet that he intends to sue them. I truly hope he does this, but of course he never will since then he'd actually have to pony up some legit proof of his claims.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-notifi ... 00287.html

Also in that same article is a notation about how if Trump declares his candidacy, the RNC will stop paying his legal bills. Say what?! Those suckers have been paying his bills of over $1.5M since October!
"on Wednesday, ABC News chief Washington correspondent Jonathan Karl reported that the Republican National Committee has told Trump it will cease paying his legal bills should he announce himself as a 2024 presidential candidate."

Of course as soon as he declares, then his "campaign cash" will of course become his courtroom cash, so he won't care.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 27th, 2022, 5:27 pm

July 27th, 2022, 5:24 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
Is there a way to flame someone here?

Asking, y’know, for a nation and all.

;-)
OPK

Post by OPK » July 27th, 2022, 5:29 pm

July 27th, 2022, 5:26 pm
This is fuckin' awesome.
“I have notified CNN of my intent to file a lawsuit over their repeated defamatory statements against me,” Trump's statement said. “I will also be commencing actions against other media outlets who have defamed me and defrauded the public regarding the overwhelming evidence of fraud throughout the 2020 election.”
He's notified half the planet that he intends to sue them. I truly hope he does this, but of course he never will since then he'd actually have to pony up some legit proof of his claims.
He won’t do it, because CNN would:

1. Countersue so Trump cannot dismiss the case unilaterally.
2. Send a deposition notice to put his ass under oath.

He would not have any valid reason to avoid a deposition in a case he initiated.

And Trump knows all this. That’s why this is just bluster.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 27th, 2022, 5:48 pm

OPK wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 5:29 pm
July 27th, 2022, 5:26 pm
This is fuckin' awesome.
He won’t do it, because CNN would:

1. Countersue so Trump cannot dismiss the case unilaterally.
2. Send a deposition notice to put his ass under oath.

He would not have any valid reason to avoid a deposition in a case he initiated.

And Trump knows all this. That’s why this is just bluster.
I'm shocked, I tell you. Shocked!

Just more proof to me that Garland and the DOJ has to do something about this guy. Not to protect CNN, but to knock down his incessant claims.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 27th, 2022, 5:53 pm

OPK wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 5:27 pm
July 27th, 2022, 5:24 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
Is there a way to flame someone here?

Asking, y’know, for a nation and all.

;-)
:Boo: :Stop: 8-} :snooty: :naughty: :facepalm4: :blee: :swear: :angry-tappingfoot: :obscene-moneypiss: :obscene-birdiedoublegreen: :obscene-tolietclaw: :teasing-knob: :teasing-dink: :teasing-blah:

Plenty to choose from :D
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 27th, 2022, 6:33 pm

dudog wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 4:03 pm
Phredd3 wrote:

Don't ask me! :) I thought Kamala was next in line but I haven't seen anything where she's a slam-dunk. The problem: if she is passed over, does that piss off all the black women and doom the Ds up and down the ballot?

I find VERY few politicians have charisma, from local to the top. I should have neck problems from all the head shaking I do at who we choose for "leaders". They say Trump has charisma, I find him disgusting. Always have, that's not a political judgment.
The one person with charisma that comes to mind is … Pete Buttigieg. There’s a certain portion of the population that would never vote for him, but this same portion of the population believes that Trump was the best president the country has ever seen and that he won in 2020.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 27th, 2022, 6:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
July 27th, 2022, 6:33 pm
The one person with charisma that comes to mind is … Pete Buttigieg. There’s a certain portion of the population that would never vote for him, but this same portion of the population believes that Trump was the best president the country has ever seen and that he won in 2020.
Pete's got a couple things going against him. One, he's a part of the current administration, and that's going to be a hard play for any current cabinet member. Two, he tried last time, and while he did boost his name, he didn't make it to the end, suspending his campaign before the last debate. (He had company doing that.) I think he would be a valid choice in the future, but he's best off sitting 2024 out.
Of course for him to run, Biden actually will have to step aside. It won't serve either of them any favors if Pete resigns his post to oppose him.

Which brings up the question, "What happens if Biden seeks re-election?" My guess is he will be primaried, and if any of his opponents are strong and youthful, I could see him losing. And IF that were to happen, I could see that winning candidate being a pretty potent runner for the White House.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 27th, 2022, 7:07 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
dudog wrote:
Phredd3 wrote:

Hah! Good one. On July 12 (I had to look it up) I sent a clip of him on fox news (he took down the anchor in a very nice way) to a friend with the message "I want this guy in 2024...but will America vote for a gay guy?".
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 27th, 2022, 8:56 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
dudog wrote:
Phredd3 wrote:

I'm a big fan of Pete. And I am glad he is getting some nice seasoning in a fairly prominent national role. Theoretically he could take credit for all of the infrastructure being built - imagine the photo ops in front of projects getting built in purple states and clips of workers saying how happy they are to have the jobs they have thanks to him.

I'm just not sure if he can put together enough of a coalition to get across the finish line. I think he can get most of the way there, but not sure if he can get all the way there.

I pray every night that Trump will not run and I wake up every morning and look at my phone hoping for an alert about something bad happening to him (why Tony Dow instead of Trump?). But there is a tiny part of me that wants to see Trump run against Pete just to see how close to the line of being blatantly homophobic Trump would get. The problem is that Trump could make fully homophobic comments and use every slur in the book and his supporters would find an excuse for it.

Having a gay Democrat would also give the Dems a good excuse to finally out Lindsay Graham.