Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 23rd, 2009, 8:05 pm

Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner
Thanks Devildeac! All good beers are poured in glasses; what catches you first for the IP is that it pours so pretty. Like a fine syrup, it pours quick but with plenty of body, miniscule bubbles in multitude rise to the surface to create a beautiful soft, light tan foam that crowns the rich yellow beneath. By far the most hopped up lager I've ever tasted, it surprisingly doesn't sweep you away in bitterness but instead the sweetness of its very flavorful malts. Sniffing at the rim, fruity, sweet scents give a true reading of what's to follow. The hops are a great aftertaste however, and just hang around forever, beckoning for a refill. After a few sips, that foamy crown has settled into a light film, hanging onto the sides of the glass, leaving a memory of how much you've enjoyed. By far the favorite in SA's imperial series, it has been well worth the wait.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by bluebeer » November 23rd, 2009, 8:57 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner
Thanks Devildeac! All good beers are poured in glasses; what catches you first for the IP is that it pours so pretty. Like a fine syrup, it pours quick but with plenty of body, miniscule bubbles in multitude rise to the surface to create a beautiful soft, light tan foam that crowns the rich yellow beneath. By far the most hopped up lager I've ever tasted, it surprisingly doesn't sweep you away in bitterness but instead the sweetness of its very flavorful malts. Sniffing at the rim, fruity, sweet scents give a true reading of what's to follow. The hops are a great aftertaste however, and just hang around forever, beckoning for a refill. After a few sips, that foamy crown has settled into a light film, hanging onto the sides of the glass, leaving a memory of how much you've enjoyed. By far the favorite in SA's imperial series, it has been well worth the wait.
Haven't tried this one yet but sure sounds good.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 23rd, 2009, 9:16 pm

Speaking of Sam Adams, I've had a string of SA beers lately. I had some less than creative beer drinkers over to watch football on Sunday and picked up the SA winter sampler. I grabbed the sampler mainly knowing that my guests would be happy with SA Lager or Winter Lager and that I could enjoy the Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig

Old Fezziwig--One of my favorite christmas beers...pours a nice amber brown. Lots of caramel and candied malts with almost no hop bite. Not overwhelmingly sweet however as there is a fair amount of ginger and spice to help with balance. Medium bodied and so easy to drink. 5.6% ABV..

Holiday Porter--I might like this one almost as much as Old Fezzwig---Pours a very dark brown..Lots of roasted malts with a nice blend of more bitter coffee and sweeter caramel notes. A decent hop bite to add balance. A bit lighter than some other porters but that just makes it even more drinkable..5.9% ABV..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 23rd, 2009, 10:51 pm

Turk wrote:This was in Friday's Philly Daily Snooze, about a guy who has had a different beer every day since 1971 and just hit his 10,000th last weekend.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columni ... _days.html

I loved this quote, which should probably go in the "Yecch, Beer!" thread:
Kentucky's Finest Horse Piss. "Unfortunately, it's truth in advertising."
DDeac, are you keeping score? How many are you up to?
99 bottles of beer on the wall, 99 bottles of beer...( I got my major in smartass before ArkieDukie :D )

Honestly, I don't know.

For my 1000th post on DBR (that I, of course, managed to PW into about 20-25 posts ;) :D ), I did list the 1000 different beers I think I had consumed. I'd guess 1500 or maybe even 2000.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 23rd, 2009, 10:52 pm

CathyCA wrote:
cl15876 wrote:I have to start tasting my traders.... too much going on lately and I seem to only be collecting and sharing rather than consuming and reviewing.... bad bones! :D Hopefully, I can get straightened out this week with SOME PROPER attention and priorities!!!!! ;)
You'll have plenty of time to review your beers between honey-do tasks.
:)) =))
Buy that woman a beer. A real beer. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 23rd, 2009, 10:56 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Sam Adams Hallertau Imperial Pilsner
I'm glad I found that baby buried in a case of odds and ends in the garage before the GT Brunchgate. I thought I had quaffed the last one in April or so 'cuz I didn't think it would keep until a fall Brunchgate. Glad you enjoyed it. I don't think I have seen it since.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 23rd, 2009, 10:58 pm

bluebear wrote:Speaking of Sam Adams, I've had a string of SA beers lately. I had some less than creative beer drinkers over to watch football on Sunday and picked up the SA winter sampler. I grabbed the sampler mainly knowing that my guests would be happy with SA Lager or Winter Lager and that I could enjoy the Holiday Porter and Old Fezziwig

Old Fezziwig--One of my favorite christmas beers...pours a nice amber brown. Lots of caramel and candied malts with almost no hop bite. Not overwhelmingly sweet however as there is a fair amount of ginger and spice to help with balance. Medium bodied and so easy to drink. 5.6% ABV..

Holiday Porter--I might like this one almost as much as Old Fezzwig---Pours a very dark brown..Lots of roasted malts with a nice blend of more bitter coffee and sweeter caramel notes. A decent hop bite to add balance. A bit lighter than some other porters but that just makes it even more drinkable..5.9% ABV..
Haven't had either of those in a few years. Hmm, thinking of a SA sampler to share at the WF Brunchgate. I'll have to visit Whole Foods tomorrow or Wednesday and see what's new. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 23rd, 2009, 11:01 pm

devildeac wrote: Hmm, thinking of a SA sampler to share at the WF Brunchgate. I'll have to visit Whole Foods tomorrow or Wednesday and see what's new. :D
Find one and bring it, I'll bring a Saranac winter sampler. We can do some good swapping and tasting from those alone. (Plus homebrews :D )
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 24th, 2009, 7:57 am

Sam Adams Old World Tripel...Part of their barrel aged series---This could be the best SA beer I've had. Pours a a nice cloudy golden yellow. Big fruity taste up front with lots of banana and pineapple. Mild spiciness and an appropriate amount of booziness for a tripel. Fairly heavy on the yeast but no funk. This is an excellent tripel that would hold its own with the best of this class. 10% ABV...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2009, 8:20 am

bluebear wrote:Sam Adams Old World Tripel...Part of their barrel aged series---This could be the best SA beer I've had. Pours a a nice cloudy golden yellow. Big fruity taste up front with lots of banana and pineapple. Mild spiciness and an appropriate amount of booziness for a tripel. Fairly heavy on the yeast but no funk. This is an excellent tripel that would hold its own with the best of this class. 10% ABV...
Sounds dee-lish. Bring a bottle down to Brunchgate this Saturday... ;) :D
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » November 24th, 2009, 9:56 am

If I may make a recommendation for the Brunchgate: somebody pick up Highland Brewing's Cold Mountain Winter Ale. This is an evolving winter seasonal unique each year. This year's brew is delicious. I didn't take detailed notes but I remember a crisp amber pour, with a light head. Delicious caramelly (yeah I said it) malts laced with vanilla. Superb!

Get it. Drink it. I'll miss you.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 24th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Hang Ten Weizen Double Bock-Clipper City Heavy Seas series-A wheat double bock that pours a clean and clear medium brown with a slight citrus aroma and marked caramel tastes. Not much for the hop heads here. I'd guess the IBU at 20-30 and the ABV is a healthy 10% with minimal booziness. I can think of a couple wheat DB that I like better than this like the Aventinus, which is probably the world standard, and the Victory Moonglow Weizenbock. This is a good beer and would be good with soups, stews, cheese and crackers and many milder or slightly spicy dishes. 8-x found this in NOVA and I'm glad he traded as I had never had this before. I'm still waiting on a bottle of Below Decks, the only one of the Heavy Seas series I haven't sampled. :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 25th, 2009, 1:19 pm

Sam Adams Coastal Wheat
A new entry by them, just saw it in the store yesterday, so I picked up a 6pack. Classic wheat brewed with lemon peels for the citrus flavor, I like this ale alot, in fact it now sits behind their Cherry Wheat as my favorite SA offering. (Excluding their imperial series). Nice body, classic hazy, golden color, white head. The lemon is a good choice, but I'm not sure whether they use one type of lemon or the three they brag about would really make a difference. Low ABV, so it makes for a very good session selection. I like this much better than Blue Moon. Nice to see that SA is constantly trying out new things, they are hard to get tired of.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » November 25th, 2009, 7:20 pm

So what's everyone drinking for turkey day?

For the main course, I'll have both New Belgium Frambozen and Avery Salvation (unless I can find a different Belgian Golden at the liquor store to try). For dessert, there will be Old Ruffian Barleywine by Great Divide (for those skipping pie and looking for a liquid desert) and Avery Ellie's Brown Ale.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 25th, 2009, 8:20 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:So what's everyone drinking for turkey day?

For the main course, I'll have both New Belgium Frambozen and Avery Salvation (unless I can find a different Belgian Golden at the liquor store to try). For dessert, there will be Old Ruffian Barleywine by Great Divide (for those skipping pie and looking for a liquid desert) and Avery Ellie's Brown Ale.
Nice line-up...
I'm going with Bruery Autumn Maple for the main course (I've been sitting on this one for months for the occasion). Still trying to decide on dessert but I have a fresh 4 pack of founders backwoods bastard and plan to cap off the evening with one of those...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 25th, 2009, 9:23 pm

Any solid food planned?

:roll: ;) :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 26th, 2009, 8:10 am

I'll probably share my last "Wagner Porter" with my son-in-law!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » November 26th, 2009, 10:51 am

devildeac wrote:

Any solid food planned?

:roll: ;) :D
Only because "society" says I must /:) I'm changing things up and grilling turkey legs instead of doing a whole bird. I went to the butcher yesterday and got a bunch of straight-up-renaissance-fair-size turkey legs. We'll still have all the other normal stuff.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 26th, 2009, 9:00 pm

Morehead City Scotch Ale-60 day tasting and final bottle-This has matured a bit with a bit more carbonation and a bit more caramel and toffee taste with minimal bitterness. Ultimately, this resembled more of an amber ale than a scotch ale. Not bad overall but last years was better.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 26th, 2009, 9:05 pm

Dominion Oak Barrel Stout-2009 edition-Deep brown and pretty similar to last years with oak-like aromas and tastes (I'd say woody but 8-x might get too excited :roll: ) and more prominent vanilla flavors than last year. Medium tan head and roasty notes of coffee and dark chocolate with some bitterness in the finish. A NOVA trader that would match nicely with game, stews or as a dessert beverage with/without a cookie or slice of cake, though I prefer imperial stouts in this manner.I'd guess the IBU about 40-50 and the ABV in the 5% range.