LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by bjornolf » October 13th, 2009, 9:00 am

"When Harry Met Sally" is a GUY'S romantic comedy. It makes all us schlubs think we can get a woman like Meg Ryan. Plus, with his money, Billy Crystal probably COULD get a woman that looks as good as Meg Ryan. ;) I mean, look at his wife. She's smokin'! You've gotta remember, she was a dancer when they got married in 1970, and she's had two kids. She's over 60, afterall.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 9:05 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bostondevil wrote: rom-com
I've never heard that term before, but it just moved way up my list of annoying words and phrases.
Where ya been, dude? It's not original with me, that's for sure.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 9:09 am

bjornolf wrote:"When Harry Met Sally" is a GUY'S romantic comedy. It makes all us schlubs think we can get a woman like Meg Ryan. Plus, with his money, Billy Crystal probably COULD get a woman that looks as good as Meg Ryan. ;) I mean, look at his wife. She's smokin'! You've gotta remember, she was a dancer when they got married in 1970, and she's had two kids. She's over 60, afterall.

%%-
You are just agreeing with my original point that When Harry Met Sally isn't a true chick flick.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 13th, 2009, 10:02 am

bjornolf wrote:...GUY'S romantic comedy.
Oxymoron dude.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » October 13th, 2009, 10:17 am

Miles wrote:
Oxymoron dude.
Well stated, Miles.

One classic movie scene at Katz's deli does not make a guy's rom-com.

The pastrami in the scene doesn't even make 9F's on Ozzie's rating scale. =p~
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 13th, 2009, 10:26 am

Lavabe wrote:
Miles wrote:
Oxymoron dude.
Well stated, Miles.

One classic movie scene at Katz's deli does not make a guy's rom-com.

The pastrami in the scene doesn't even make 9F's on Ozzie's rating scale. =p~
But their corned beef is 8 1/2 F's! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Miles

Post by Miles » October 13th, 2009, 10:29 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
Miles wrote:Hey DA. I miss the guys and the office interaction, and my boss is still struggling with a way to keep me in the loop on important conversations but I'm doing pretty good now. I've got a routine down, some days working from home, sometimes from Kelly's, and sometimes from Caribou so that keeps things kind of interesting in place of the office interaction.

It also looks like someone is stepping down soon which should have a positive impact on my work. It should allow my boss and I to interact more freely because she tended to meddle and micromanage us. That really sucks because my boss himself is a micromanager so I was getting double the trickledown of micromanaged lameness.

Thanks for asking!
Glad to hear it's going well.

We have a remote team in Boston, so I'm somewhat familiar with the challenges - it's tough sometimes to keep them in mind ("out of sight," and all that) and time zones make it difficult to have ad-hoc communications when we want. Luckily, the team's pretty self-sufficient and motivated; and they do a good job of setting up regular 1:1's with folks just to keep in touch. And best of all, they mock us sufficiently and with great skill when we accidently schedule meetings for them at 8PM. :D
There are many changes coming and I'm thinking that some of the challenges I've been facing will go away and I'll get to face new challenges. I do miss the ad-hoc communications the most, especially since those conversations led to some of the biggest changes in our company. The good news is that I'm removing myself more and more from the old position that thrived on such interaction, and starting to spend more time with customers. They're all over the world so it's a more natural fit to work from home and from GMT -5. :-B
sMiles
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 13th, 2009, 11:49 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Bostondevil wrote: rom-com
I've never heard that term before, but it just moved way up my list of annoying words and phrases.
:)) :)) :)) :)) :))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 13th, 2009, 1:02 pm

Where's the Capt of Mojo been? His posts seem to be missing in action? :-? :-? :-? :-?
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 13th, 2009, 3:41 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
bjornolf wrote:"When Harry Met Sally" is a GUY'S romantic comedy. It makes all us schlubs think we can get a woman like Meg Ryan. Plus, with his money, Billy Crystal probably COULD get a woman that looks as good as Meg Ryan. ;) I mean, look at his wife. She's smokin'! You've gotta remember, she was a dancer when they got married in 1970, and she's had two kids. She's over 60, afterall.

%%-
You are just agreeing with my original point that When Harry Met Sally isn't a true chick flick.
You said that When Harry Met Sally is not a romantic comedy. Now you're saying that your original point was that it isn't a true chick flick. I guess that means that ALL romantic comedies MUST be chick flicks? That seems a little narrow-minded. My understanding of the definition of a romantic comedy is that it is a comedy with a theme based around romantic relationships (as opposed to familial relationships). I never realized that they HAD to be chick flicks. My wife LOVED When Harry Met Sally. I guess she's just weird.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » October 13th, 2009, 3:50 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:

%%-
You said that When Harry Met Sally is not a romantic comedy. Now you're saying that your original point was that it isn't a true chick flick. I guess that means that ALL romantic comedies MUST be chick flicks? That seems a little narrow-minded. My understanding of the definition of a romantic comedy is that it is a comedy with a theme based around romantic relationships (as opposed to familial relationships). I never realized that they HAD to be chick flicks. My wife LOVED When Harry Met Sally. I guess she's just weird.

%%-
Well, I would point out that she married you. ;)

Actually, that was a very smart move on her part.
I liked WHMS also - but I don't see/remember enough movies to be able to classify any of them. I treat some of the Arnold movies - like Commando - as a comedy cuz I laugh at a lot of the lines.
Life is good!
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 13th, 2009, 3:58 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:
bjornolf wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:"quote="bjornolf"""When Harry Met Sally" is a GUY'S romantic comedy. It makes all us schlubs think we can get a woman like Meg Ryan. Plus, with his money, Billy Crystal probably COULD get a woman that looks as good as Meg Ryan. ;) I mean, look at his wife. She's smokin'! You've gotta remember, she was a dancer when they got married in 1970, and she's had two kids. She's over 60, afterall.

%%-"/quote"

%%-
Well, I would point out that she married you. ;)

Actually, that was a very smart move on her part.
I liked WHMS also - but I don't see/remember enough movies to be able to classify any of them. I treat some of the Arnold movies - like Commando - as a comedy cuz I laugh at a lot of the lines.
:)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » October 13th, 2009, 4:03 pm

cl15876 wrote:Where's the Capt of Mojo been? His posts seem to be missing in action? :-? :-? :-? :-?
I have been thinking the same. CAPT OF MOJO, WHERE ARE YOU? COME BACK TO US. :-w :)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » October 13th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
cl15876 wrote:Where's the Capt of Mojo been? His posts seem to be missing in action? :-? :-? :-? :-?
I have been thinking the same. CAPT OF MOJO, WHERE ARE YOU? COME BACK TO US. :-w :)
He's ... on the road again...
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » October 13th, 2009, 4:29 pm

I never said I didn't like When Harry Met Sally, I just didn't agree that it was the greatest romantic comedy ever. AND I said it didn't qualify as a true chick flick because Billy Crystal doesn't do anything for the vast majority of women who see the movie. I suppose I'm guilty of thinking that all romantic comedies are chick flicks, I'll stand corrected on that. There is a new category then - guy's romantic comedies. I think the Lethal Weapon series probably qualify then.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 13th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Bostondevil wrote:There is a new category then - guy's romantic comedies. I think the Lethal Weapon series probably qualify then.
=)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 13th, 2009, 4:55 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I never said I didn't like When Harry Met Sally, I just didn't agree that it was the greatest romantic comedy ever. AND I said it didn't qualify as a true chick flick because Billy Crystal doesn't do anything for the vast majority of women who see the movie. I suppose I'm guilty of thinking that all romantic comedies are chick flicks, I'll stand corrected on that. There is a new category then - guy's romantic comedies. I think the Lethal Weapon series probably qualify then.
=))

That's awesome. Throw in Die Hard and Beverly Hills Cop, too. ;)

Actually, there are a few romantic comedies that I probably wouldn't call chick flicks. This article http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles ... tory.jhtml names these specifically:

"Lost in Translation"
"Groundhog Day"
"Shallow Hal"
"There's Something About Mary"
"Grosse Pointe Blank"
"High Fidelity"
"Manhattan"
"Annie Hall"
"The Philadelphia Story"
"It Happened One Night"

I would personally add "Big" and even "Sleepless in Seattle". There's actually a LOT in SIS that I've found I relate to as a guy in Tom Hanks' part, not least of which is the scene where the guys make fun of "An Affair to Remember" by crying over "The Dirty Dozen". Another list I found names several of the above, adding "Hitch" and "Meet the Parents". I'd probably agree with those. I'd add "50 First Dates" and "The Wedding Singer" and "Blast from the Past" (any guy that doesn't laugh at Christopher Walken in that movie has a broken sense of humor "Leave my elevator alone!"). I don't think any of those is totally a chick flick. There are other romantic comedies that involve sports, like "Fever Pitch" and "The Replacements" that I wouldn't call chick flicks. Maybe some of those blur the "romantic comedy" lines a little, but I think all of them CAN be classified as such. One of my ALL-TIME favorite movies is labeled by some a romantic comedy, "The Princess Bride".

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 13th, 2009, 5:03 pm

My goodness, bjornolf, no Sandra Bullock movies? I thought "The Lake House" was awesome! :-bd
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » October 13th, 2009, 5:31 pm

cl15876 wrote:My goodness, bjornolf, no Sandra Bullock movies? I thought "The Lake House" was awesome! :-bd
Ouch, that was TOTALLY a chick flick. I might put Parenthood with Steve Martin in that group, though I don't know if that meets the "romantic" part. Speaking of Steve Martin, one romantic comedy I LOVED was "L.A. Story". Those wacky Los Angelinos. ;)

As for Sandra Bullock, one of my FAVORITE romantic comedies has to be Love Potion No. 9, which had her in it. Miss Congeniality wasn't a bad romantic comedy, though again, it's a little close on the "romantic" part.

The Lake House is NOT a romantic comedy, and it wasn't that great a movie.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » October 13th, 2009, 5:42 pm

bjornolf wrote:
cl15876 wrote:My goodness, bjornolf, no Sandra Bullock movies? I thought "The Lake House" was awesome! :-bd
Ouch, that was TOTALLY a chick flick. .... The Lake House is NOT a romantic comedy, and it wasn't that great a movie.

%%-
You have a pretty good list, but understand "the Lake House" was NOT a "rom com" (sorry CB&B), but just thought I'd provide an assist in the chick flick area for ya, as it is good for us to explore our other sides on occasion IMHO!!!! Just like Bacon is good for the soul and the taste buds and my tummy!!!! ;) :D BTW, I have to agree with BD, Billy may it do it for some, but I think it's safe to say, not MOST (irrespective of $$$, that would make them a BC-W!!!! =)) :))

How about the Faulkers??? Now there is a ROM-COM or a COM-ROM!!!! :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: