The Political Junkie Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2022, 9:33 am

Run, Josh, Run!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 22nd, 2022, 9:44 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 9:33 am
Run, Josh, Run!
Where does Josh Hawley like to shop?

The flee market.

(Not original to me, nor is the new saying that someone was “Hawley ass”)
Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Furniture » July 22nd, 2022, 10:17 am

Twitter is loaded with clips of him running with different music. This one is a favorite.

https://mobile.twitter.com/The_Mal_Gall ... 6411634689

Scrolling down you see a lot more. Omg. Brilliant. Benny Hill.. Kate Bush. Hilarious.
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2022, 10:44 am

While everyone standing up to him and preventing him from marching to the Capitol was the right thing to do, had he been allowed to do so charging him with a crime would be so much easier.

Those folks saved the day, but they may have also saved DT from himself.
Phredd3
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by Phredd3 » July 22nd, 2022, 12:35 pm

July 22nd, 2022, 10:44 am
While everyone standing up to him and preventing him from marching to the Capitol was the right thing to do, had he been allowed to do so charging him with a crime would be so much easier.

Those folks saved the day, but they may have also saved DT from himself.
I personally think that they a) did absolutely the right thing, but b) won't have ultimately saved him from indictment. I'm not sure at this point exactly what the charge will be, but I'm pretty convinced at this point that he'll get charged with something. I also think there will be a veritable deluge of civil suits he'll have to contend with, and at least some of those will feature judges not inclined to put up with blatant delay tactics.

On the other hand, I remain mystified on the state of the electorate, so perhaps I'm drinking too much of my own optimistic CoolAid when it come to the basic machinery of society.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 22nd, 2022, 4:03 pm

Meanwhile, it took just three hours for a jury to convict Steve Bannon of Contempt of Congress. Mere misdemeanors, of course, but it sends a good message to others that jail time for ignoring a subpoena is an actual possibility. One more link in the chain.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 22nd, 2022, 4:52 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 4:03 pm
Meanwhile, it took just three hours for a jury to convict Steve Bannon of Contempt of Congress. Mere misdemeanors, of course, but it sends a good message to others that jail time for ignoring a subpoena is an actual possibility. One more link in the chain.
Up to a year per, so could be up to two years. Realistically, the way the sentencing guidelines go, I would not expect much time if any unless the judge wants to make an example of him. Which is possible.

Bad and uninformed guess: somewhere between 60 and 150 days on each, running concurrently.
OPK

Post by OPK » July 22nd, 2022, 5:10 pm

Of course, Bannon is going on tv apparently so that may hurt him. “Everything you say can and will be used against you.”

I can’t imagine he will be remorseful and repentant. Which is what the court wants to see before sentencing. Defiance hurts you at sentencing.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » July 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm

Did you guys see Trump recording his speech. It basically shows The Trumpster in his real light. Such an arsehole!

You can see it through the link below. I love that the committee have the stones to show it.

https://mobile.twitter.com/January6thCm ... 7506896898
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2022, 5:48 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
Max fine for each (besides jail time that he won't get) is only $1,000.
However, I'll take comfort in the fact that he spent way more than that on his legal team. (Who didn't have a snowball's chance in the first place.)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 22nd, 2022, 5:52 pm

Furniture wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm
Did you guys see Trump recording his speech. It basically shows The Trumpster in his real light. Such an arsehole!

You can see it through the link below. I love that the committee have the stones to show it.

Yeah, that was some eye candy for sure last night. The section of his Jan 6th "go home" tweet that got deleted was absolutely disgusting.
What got left in was pretty disgusting, too.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 22nd, 2022, 6:39 pm

OPK wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 4:52 pm
Phredd3 wrote:
Up to a year per, so could be up to two years. Realistically, the way the sentencing guidelines go, I would not expect much time if any unless the judge wants to make an example of him. Which is possible.

Bad and uninformed guess: somewhere between 60 and 150 days on each, running concurrently.
The statute declares a minimum sentence of 30 days in jail, and Bannon was released without bail prior to the trial, so he doesn't have any accumulated time served. I guess that means he's off the grid (behind the grid?) until this time next month at a minimum, and hopefully longer. Apparently they've said they'd appeal, but he'll serve the sentence in the meantime. Given the earlier rulings in the case, I don't think this judge will be especially sympathetic. I hope not, anyway. The penalty is light enough as it stands.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 22nd, 2022, 11:50 pm

Furniture wrote:
July 22nd, 2022, 5:11 pm

Some really rich Dems should buy air time on Fox News and play the clip of him accidentally saying "the election is over" on a non-stop loop. Maybe that will get through people's heads.

The man always looks so constipated. Among other things...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 24th, 2022, 9:46 am

“Have you watched these pro-abortion, pro-murder rallies?” Gaetz asked the crowd at the Turning Point USA Student Action Summit in Tampa. “The people are just disgusting. Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?”
“Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb. These people are odious from the inside out,”
- Quote from Matt Gaetz to what must have been an overly attractive group of college students.

X( X( X(

https://www.yahoo.com/news/matt-gaetz-w ... 46149.html
Furniture

Post by Furniture » July 24th, 2022, 3:06 pm

July 24th, 2022, 9:46 am
“Have you watched these pro-abortion, pro-murder rallies?” Gaetz asked the crowd at the Turning Point USA Student Action Summit in Tampa. “The people are just disgusting. Why is it that the women with the least likelihood of getting pregnant are the ones most worried about having abortions?”
“Nobody wants to impregnate you if you look like a thumb. These people are odious from the inside out,”
- Quote from Matt Gaetz to what must have been an overly attractive group of college students.

X( X( X(

Just when you think they can't go any lower. It’s pretty disgusting. I wonder what the females in the audience thought of that?
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 25th, 2022, 2:53 pm

Furniture wrote:
July 24th, 2022, 3:06 pm
July 24th, 2022, 9:46 am

X( X( X(

Just when you think they can't go any lower. It’s pretty disgusting. I wonder what the females in the audience thought of that?
He clearly thought he was being hysterically funny. Speaking of odious from the inside....
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 26th, 2022, 10:54 am

This is interesting.
Online fundraising has slowed across much of the Republican Party in recent months, an unusual pullback of small donors that has set off a mad rush among Republican political operatives to understand why — and reverse the sudden decline before it damages the party’s chances this fall.

Small-dollar donations typically increase as an election nears. But just the opposite has happened in recent months across a wide range of Republican entities, including every major party committee and former President Donald Trump’s political operation.
My first thought was that it's due more to the economy, which would make sense. Everyone is pinching pennies now, so of course politics would be affected as well.
But also in the article is this fact.
More alarming for Republicans: Democratic contributions surged at the same time. Total federal donations on ActBlue, the Democratic counterpart, jumped more than 21%.

The overall Democratic fundraising edge online widened by $100 million from the last quarter of 2021 to the most recent three-month period, records show.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans- ... 00075.html
dudog

Post by dudog » July 26th, 2022, 12:58 pm

July 26th, 2022, 10:54 am
This is interesting.
Online fundraising has slowed across much of the Republican Party in recent months, an unusual pullback of small donors that has set off a mad rush among Republican political operatives to understand why — and reverse the sudden decline before it damages the party’s chances this fall.

Small-dollar donations typically increase as an election nears. But just the opposite has happened in recent months across a wide range of Republican entities, including every major party committee and former President Donald Trump’s political operation.
My first thought was that it's due more to the economy, which would make sense. Everyone is pinching pennies now, so of course politics would be affected as well.
But also in the article is this fact.
More alarming for Republicans: Democratic contributions surged at the same time. Total federal donations on ActBlue, the Democratic counterpart, jumped more than 21%.

The overall Democratic fundraising edge online widened by $100 million from the last quarter of 2021 to the most recent three-month period, records show.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/republicans- ... 00075.html
It's not "The economy, stupid", it's "Abortion, period."

Doesn't hurt that Trump, Hawley, Cruz, Gaetz, and Greene are the faces of the R party.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 26th, 2022, 2:12 pm

dudog wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 12:58 pm
Doesn't hurt that Trump, Hawley, Cruz, Gaetz, and Greene are the faces of the R party.
Personally, I think it does and has hurt a lot. I know what you meant, of course, but I think it is important not to lose sight of the fact that a Republican party this authoritarian and disconnected from reality is a terrible, terrible thing for the country.
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 26th, 2022, 2:31 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 2:12 pm
dudog wrote:
July 26th, 2022, 12:58 pm
Personally, I think it does and has hurt a lot. I know what you meant, of course, but I think it is important not to lose sight of the fact that a Republican party this authoritarian and disconnected from reality is a terrible, terrible thing for the country.
I think both parties are facing similar issues. Their extreme elements energize the large number of people who support that part of the party. But it really turns off the middle of the road people in the other party who might otherwise consider flipping if the stars aligned. Biden won because many of these Republicans were able to stomach him, but they might have held their noses and voted for Trump if the choice was Trump vs. Warren or Bernie. Similarly, particularly in state and local races, there are Democrats who would flip for a moderate Republican but won't do so for a Trump crazy, even if they don't particularly like the Democrat running.

Obviously, I personally don't equate Warren/Sanders to Trump, Hawley, etc. but from the perspective of some Republicans, it is a fair comparison.