Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » November 20th, 2009, 8:32 am

devildeac wrote:The Brunchgate winner:

Victory 12. Not only was this uncaged and uncorked to celebrate the 40th for CB&B but 8-x was nice enough to bring it and CB&B was generous enough to share it with the crowd. I guess the best way to describe this is an imperial amber ale crossed with a triple. Note to rmd: This is NOT your Fat Tire amber ale. Lots of caramel and pale malts with a modest bite from 2 different types of hops, one of which is whole flower hops according to the Victory site. It is a light brown, slightly cloudy pour with a lotta fizz. Once again, I kept sampling out of my 1/2 ounce sampler cups and the smarter folks are holding out their 16 ounce cups :roll: ;) :D . I guess I am not a quick learner. The hops are floral and the malts are light caramel type sweet. There really tastes like there is Belgian candy sugar in the brew from all the residual sugars/sweetness. I'd guess the IBU to be about 40-50 and the ABV is 12% on the bottle (over 12% from their web site). This would make a wonderful dessert brew served chilled and in a goblet. A plate of fruit would blend well with this ale's notes of apple and apricot, too. I'd guess bluebear could find one of these readily but rmd might have difficulty unless visiting family in Ohio. Buy 2 and drink one now and cellar the other for a year or more.
I had one of these over the summer and it is an excellent beer. Fantastic description/review..makes me want to buy another..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 20th, 2009, 8:44 am

Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Life and Limb...Was extremely fortunate to get a bottle of this as my local store received a whopping 6 bottles of it. Not sure what availability is elsewhere but very limited up here in MA. 24 ounce bottle with probably the best label I have seen...
http://www.life-limb.com/
I guess I would cal this a barleywine or strong ale...Pours an imperial stout-like black though much thinner and with a very small head. Taste is extremely complex. Lots of sweet carmel malts but balanced well with a mild pine hoppy bite. I'm not sure if it's the birch but there is a fairly substantial earthiness/woody taste that reminds me a bit of some scotch ales. The maple syrup is very noticeable but also subtle enough to not overpower everything else. No alcohol bite despite the 10% ABV. This is easily one of the best beers I have had. I thought it would be very sweet but it is balanced just perfectly. I have 12 ounces to finish tonight and I will be quite sad when my glass is empty...
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 20th, 2009, 9:57 am

bluebear wrote:Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Life and Limb... 24 ounce bottle with probably the best label I have seen...
How do they get the fish to swim back and forth on the label? Are they perhaps swimming in the beer inside the bottle? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 20th, 2009, 11:01 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
bluebear wrote:Sierra Nevada/Dogfish Head Life and Limb... 24 ounce bottle with probably the best label I have seen...
How do they get the fish to swim back and forth on the label? Are they perhaps swimming in the beer inside the bottle? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
After a few of these, at 10%, you would definitely see all sorts of things swimming both on the label and in the bottle.,,
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 20th, 2009, 11:23 pm

Old Stock Ale 2007-North Coast Brewing-Delicious. I found a guy stocking the shelf at Total Wine with this and was amazed to see the 2007 on the neck of the bottle. I laughed and made a comment about the age and he said it should be ready to drink now and I disagreed and said maybe another year :roll: :)) =)) . It's ready this year. The IBU are only 36 and the web site it's made with a buncha English hops and malts and the malts win. This is an old ale style brew with plenty of dark caramel-like tastes along with dark candied fruits. I had this as a nightcap the last 3 nights dividing the 12 ouncer into 3 servings from a dessert wine glass and sipped it after it had sat for about 30 minutes. It's 11.7% ABV and does taste boozey. They describe it as port-like but it's not quite that dark and resembles a darker sherry to me. 8-x and CB&B each got a bottle of this last Saturday and this could be enjoyed as an after dinner drink or as dessert or with come chocolate for dessert, too. I'm gonna save the 4th bottle and put it with some BBCS and Bigfoot I've been saving.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 21st, 2009, 9:53 am

Saranac has put out their winter sampler pack, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a good selection of brews for a nice price. On sale, you can find it for around 12 bucks. http://www.saranac.com/page/12-beers-of-winter-2009
You get 2 bottles of 6 offerings, Winter Lager, Black Lager, Rye IPA, Big Moose Ale, Belgian Ale, and a Maple Porter. That last one is what I'm dying to try, and I'll have one during the football game today. 4 of these are new, I'm looking forward to trying the Black Lager, I like their Black Forest Lager, but this is different. And I'm curious to see how the Rye IPA compares to Terrapin's Rye...which I wasn't thrilled about.
A good selection from one of my favorite breweries.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 21st, 2009, 11:11 am

devildeac wrote:Old Stock Ale 2007-North Coast Brewing-Delicious. I found a guy stocking the shelf at Total Wine with this and was amazed to see the 2007 on the neck of the bottle. I laughed and made a comment about the age and he said it should be ready to drink now and I disagreed and said maybe another year :roll: :)) =)) . It's ready this year. The IBU are only 36 and the web site it's made with a buncha English hops and malts and the malts win. This is an old ale style brew with plenty of dark caramel-like tastes along with dark candied fruits. I had this as a nightcap the last 3 nights dividing the 12 ouncer into 3 servings from a dessert wine glass and sipped it after it had sat for about 30 minutes. It's 11.7% ABV and does taste boozey. They describe it as port-like but it's not quite that dark and resembles a darker sherry to me. 8-x and CB&B each got a bottle of this last Saturday and this could be enjoyed as an after dinner drink or as dessert or with come chocolate for dessert, too. I'm gonna save the 4th bottle and put it with some BBCS and Bigfoot I've been saving.
What a find..this is one of my favorite old ales and I bet its fantastic with several years on it..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 21st, 2009, 11:15 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Old Stock Ale 2007-North Coast Brewing-Delicious. I found a guy stocking the shelf at Total Wine with this and was amazed to see the 2007 on the neck of the bottle. I laughed and made a comment about the age and he said it should be ready to drink now and I disagreed and said maybe another year :roll: :)) =)) . It's ready this year. The IBU are only 36 and the web site it's made with a buncha English hops and malts and the malts win. This is an old ale style brew with plenty of dark caramel-like tastes along with dark candied fruits. I had this as a nightcap the last 3 nights dividing the 12 ouncer into 3 servings from a dessert wine glass and sipped it after it had sat for about 30 minutes. It's 11.7% ABV and does taste boozey. They describe it as port-like but it's not quite that dark and resembles a darker sherry to me. 8-x and CB&B each got a bottle of this last Saturday and this could be enjoyed as an after dinner drink or as dessert or with come chocolate for dessert, too. I'm gonna save the 4th bottle and put it with some BBCS and Bigfoot I've been saving.
What a find..this is one of my favorite old ales and I bet its fantastic with several years on it..
I'm saving mine to celebrate a victory with. Might be tonight, might be in March.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 21st, 2009, 8:14 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
bluebear wrote:
I'm saving mine to celebrate a victory with. Might be tonight, might be in March.
Or maybe April 5...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 21st, 2009, 9:03 pm

bluebear wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Or maybe April 5...
Nah, that's a 2 beer night. He just brewed an oatmeal stout and he's saving one for 8-x , one for himself and one for me for that night. If you make plane reservations, I'd bet he would save you one, too :D .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 22nd, 2009, 4:24 pm

Saranac Black Lager
Not to be confused with their Black Forest Lager, which is in their common sampler pack. The black lager is one of the 6 brews in the winter sampler. I'm pretty sure the major difference and a porter is the yeast and only the yeast. Same deep brown color, nice light tan head, heavier bodied, but not stout thick. Chocolate and coffee are the dominant flavors, but a taste of honey is present as well. I don't think there is any in there, but the flavor is detectable. A step up from Michelob Double Bock (it's a good beer, don't laugh), it's still a lager and I'd hesitate at buying a 6 for Saranac's prices. I won't hesitate to drink one from another sampler either, it's a good brew to try.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2009, 5:28 pm

2 Below: in the house and coming soon to a trader near you. :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2009, 5:32 pm

Hop Mountain Pale Ale-Dominion Brewing Company-I thought these folks were in Virginia but they must contract brew some stuff in Dover, Delaware. This is a good pale ale with 4 types of hops and a good malt balance. There is a bit of pine and a bit of citrus and a bit of caramel sweetness. A fine choice with snacks, sammiches, burgers and chicken. I'd guess the IBU in the 40-50 range and the ABV in the 5-6% range. A trade from that NOVA guy. Thanks.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 22nd, 2009, 9:12 pm

Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale-Good for summer and good for fall. A medium brown ale with quite a raspberry tinge to it from what tastes like tons of this succulent berry added to the fermentation process. I think there are red and black raspberries in the brew. As with most brown ales, the hops take a rear seat and the IBU are probably 20-30 and the ABV is an estimated 5%. Not overly sweet but this would be nice with a fruit and/or cheese plate or sweet and sour dishes. 8-x gets a :-bd for this trader.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 22nd, 2009, 9:15 pm

devildeac wrote:Great Divide Wild Raspberry Ale-Good for summer and good for fall. A medium brown ale with quite a raspberry tinge to it from what tastes like tons of this succulent berry added to the fermentation process. I think there are red and black raspberries in the brew. As with most brown ales, the hops take a rear seat and the IBU are probably 20-30 and the ABV is an estimated 5%. Not overly sweet but this would be nice with a fruit and/or cheese plate or sweet and sour dishes. 8-x gets a :-bd for this trader.
I've been dying to try and thanks goes to Rocky Mtn Devil (Man) because I think he was the one that REALLY got my curiosity up on wanting this .... ;) I am glad you enjoyed!!!!!
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 22nd, 2009, 9:17 pm

I have to start tasting my traders.... too much going on lately and I seem to only be collecting and sharing rather than consuming and reviewing.... bad bones! :D Hopefully, I can get straightened out this week with SOME PROPER attention and priorities!!!!! ;)
Turk

Post by Turk » November 23rd, 2009, 6:03 pm

This was in Friday's Philly Daily Snooze, about a guy who has had a different beer every day since 1971 and just hit his 10,000th last weekend.

http://www.philly.com/dailynews/columni ... _days.html

I loved this quote, which should probably go in the "Yecch, Beer!" thread:
Kentucky's Finest Horse Piss. "Unfortunately, it's truth in advertising."
DDeac, are you keeping score? How many are you up to?
Last edited by Turk on November 23rd, 2009, 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 23rd, 2009, 6:04 pm

cl15876 wrote:I have to start tasting my traders.... too much going on lately and I seem to only be collecting and sharing rather than consuming and reviewing.... bad bones! :D Hopefully, I can get straightened out this week with SOME PROPER attention and priorities!!!!! ;)
You'll have plenty of time to review your beers between honey-do tasks.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 23rd, 2009, 7:14 pm

Saranac Maple Porter....mmmmmm, yeah, baby! This would be a good one to taste next to Founder's Breakfast Stout..keeps up a theme. I think of waffles and pancakes when I sip on this brew. Heavy on the maple, it complements the specialty roast malts so well. Slight hint of chocolate and caramel...like a Cadbury's bar; it pours a deep amber-brown. Nice tan head, medium-light body, smells slightly fuity. Low bitterness, guessing 20-30. The low bitterness is welcome to me, but misleading since they promote the bitterness as a quality of it on the label. If I see a six of this anywhere, I will definitely pick one up. My favorite from the sampler pack.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 23rd, 2009, 7:41 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote: If I see a six of this anywhere, I will definitely pick one up. My favorite from the sampler pack.
So much for that..just read on their website that it's only available in the winter sampler. Crapola, same goes true with the other beers on the sampler list.