Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bluebeer
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by bluebeer » November 12th, 2009, 10:11 am

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote: Now wait a second, we had an INDIA PALE ALE, what is the difference between a PALE ALE and BARLEYWINE? CB&B, I think I slipped a HIGH SEAS into your 6'r because I paid attention! I still want to brew some RED ALE and EAT some of that BBQ or RIBS! :D
The primary difference, IMO, is that a barleywine will have a much frutier, malty sweetness backbone. An IPA (or IIPA) makes no attempt at balance--it's all rampaging id (hops). Both beers, however, are at the high end in terms of bitterness (scaled on what's called an IBU rating; anything above 70 or so and you're talking bitter; above 90 and your taste buds will be seared and ruined for the night :) ). The Odells beer is, apparently, a hybrid IPA and barleywine.
Great summary...the line between double IPAs and barleywines are sometimes blurred, especially among the maltier double IPAs and the hoppier barleywines...but most barleywines center around that malt backbone (especially the english style barleywines/old ales where the hops are drowned by the maltiness). That Odell hybrid sure sounds good...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 12th, 2009, 10:16 am

devildeac wrote: You might try to find a 750 ml bottle of Le Freak, the Green Flash hybrid between an American IIPA and Belgian Tripple. It clocks in at 101 IBU and 9.2% ABV. I have 1 bottle I'll enjoy soon and the 2nd I'll cellar for a year or two (I hope).
Le Freak is very good...Green Flash also makes a nice Barleywine (which is definitely on the hoppier end of the spectrum for this style)...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 12th, 2009, 10:40 am

Southern Tier Old Man--Could be the first Southern Tier beer that I've tried. Billed as an Old Ale. Pours a fairly dark amber with a small head. Starts off with a lot of sweet caramel malts. Comes off as almost too sweet given the beers relative thinness. Beneath the malts is a fairly hefty pine hop presence with decent bitterness. Overall, not a bad beer but not what I was expecting. Way too bitter and hoppy to be an old ale. Reminded me more of some ESBs..7.2% ABV...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 12th, 2009, 3:00 pm

SA Winter Lager-a trader from a drug rep-His favorite beer but not mine, but not bad either. This is a wheat lager with spices and I'd guess nutmeg and allspice. Medium to dark brown but not opaque and no sediment. Faint citrus given the wheat malt and minimal bitterness. I'd guess the IBU about 30 and the ABV 5%. Not a bad winter brew, especially for a lager. Decent session beer and not a bad beverage to have with some lightly spiced/BBQ foods or with some snack food or sammiches. Trading stuff is nice 'cuz if I really like it, I'll go buy a 4 pack or 6er and then trade again. If I don't, then I just type a review, pad my post count and move on to the next glass :roll: ;) :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2009, 6:46 pm

Founder's Breakfast Stout-As I heard Lavabe comment once when we shared a Kona Coffee Stout: "Please pass the cream and sugar." :D I actually like this brew made with chocolate malt (and several other malts I would think), real chocolate and 2 types of coffee. There is mild bitterness here (of course just about everything tastes bitter today after the barnes skype and the absolute thrashing at WW today X( ) from the richly roasted malts and hops (I'd guess an IBU of 50) and the ABV is 8.3% so you won't be drinking many of these in an evening :roll: . A very good sipping beer that would make a fine dessert offering by itself or with just about any chocolate dessert. Not sure I would have it as breakfast ( :roll: ) or on my cereal :roll: :roll: .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 14th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Victory Brewing Company-Baltic Thunder-Another fine brew from the Victory folks. Also had a Victory brew today at Brunchgate, though there was no victory to celebrate :( . This is a well done imperial porter that probably is about 40-50 IBU and tips the scale at 8.5% ABV. Pours a nice, dark brown but is not quite opaque. Smallish head, balanced with the typical classic porter flavors of dark toffee and dark/chocolate caramels. Hints of espresso. The bottle said best if enjoyed by 12/08 so I guess I kinda forgot about it :roll: . This was a 750 ml bottle enjoyed over 2 nights.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 15th, 2009, 1:42 pm

devildeac wrote:Blowing Rock Winter Ale-Boone Brewing Company-from...

Bzzt! Not NC but from Wilkes Barre, PA.

A pleasant, dark brown but not opaque pour with a 1 finger tan head. This most resembles an ESB with some more hops and probably some special English dark malts (Otter?). I don't believe this has any spices and is a fairly standard winter ale. I'd guess IBU of 30-40 and an ABV of 5-6%. Would match BBQ ribs, chicken, pork or chili nicely. A drug rep and I traded 6ers yesterday but I still love ya, 8-x and CB&B and am filling up the empty spaces in your 6ers for Saturday. He left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington but he'll be back in a couple weeks with some more traders.
Not too much more to add to that review, except that it is surprisingly sweet. I don't see the abv posted on it, and I can't find it online, but I'm guessing it's between 8% and 9%, so it's not a session beer. It has a very nice nose to it too, reminscent of a belgian ale, another tip off that the ABV is on the high end. I detect some pleasant fruit flavors, and just enough hints of spice that they are a good compliment instead of overbearing. Except for the twist off cap (doesn't bode well for cellaring, and I can't reuse it), this brew is a very pleasant surprise. I'll make a point to look for it in the future, a sixer would make a great Christmas present. Thanks much for the trader, DD!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 2:19 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

A pleasant, dark brown but not opaque pour with a 1 finger tan head. This most resembles an ESB with some more hops and probably some special English dark malts (Otter?). I don't believe this has any spices and is a fairly standard winter ale. I'd guess IBU of 30-40 and an ABV of 5-6%. Would match BBQ ribs, chicken, pork or chili nicely. A drug rep and I traded 6ers yesterday but I still love ya, 8-x and CB&B and am filling up the empty spaces in your 6ers for Saturday. He left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington but he'll be back in a couple weeks with some more traders.
Not too much more to add to that review, except that it is surprisingly sweet. I don't see the abv posted on it, and I can't find it online, but I'm guessing it's between 8% and 9%, so it's not a session beer. It has a very nice nose to it too, reminscent of a belgian ale, another tip off that the ABV is on the high end. I detect some pleasant fruit flavors, and just enough hints of spice that they are a good compliment instead of overbearing. Except for the twist off cap (doesn't bode well for cellaring, and I can't reuse it), this brew is a very pleasant surprise. I'll make a point to look for it in the future, a sixer would make a great Christmas present. Thanks much for the trader, DD!
Glad you enjoyed it.

Honey Raspberry Ale-Spanish Peaks Brewing, Bozeman, Montana. Ahh, one of my 1st micros that I haven't enjoyed in about 15 years. A clear amber ale with noticeable honey sweetness and a pleasant amount of raspberry flavor. Minimal bitterness with a bit of breadiness. This was our starter beer for the Brunchgate and we all enjoyed several tiny (1/2 ounce) samples from our complimentary taster cups from Total Wine. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 and the ABV about 5%. This was a trader from 8-x . Thank you for sharing, sir.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » November 15th, 2009, 2:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Glad you enjoyed it.

Honey Raspberry Ale-Spanish Peaks Brewing, Bozeman, Montana. Ahh, one of my 1st micros that I haven't enjoyed in about 15 years. A clear amber ale with noticeable honey sweetness and a pleasant amount of raspberry flavor. Minimal bitterness with a bit of breadiness. This was our starter beer for the Brunchgate and we all enjoyed several tiny (1/2 ounce) samples from our complimentary taster cups from Total Wine. I'd guess the IBU to be 20-30 and the ABV about 5%. This was a trader from 8-x . Thank you for sharing, sir.
8-x says, "You're welcome."
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 2:57 pm

CathyCA wrote:
devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Not too much more to add to that review, except that it is surprisingly sweet. I don't see the abv posted on it, and I can't find it online, but I'm guessing it's between 8% and 9%, so it's not a session beer. It has a very nice nose to it too, reminscent of a belgian ale, another tip off that the ABV is on the high end. I detect some pleasant fruit flavors, and just enough hints of spice that they are a good compliment instead of overbearing. Except for the twist off cap (doesn't bode well for cellaring, and I can't reuse it), this brew is a very pleasant surprise. I'll make a point to look for it in the future, a sixer would make a great Christmas present. Thanks much for the trader, DD!
Glad you enjoyed it.

8-x says, "You're welcome."
You are quick and clever to have "stolen" a post from him, thereby keeping your race with colchar exciting.

:-* :-* to you both.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 4:50 pm

With a toast to rmd as we did yesterday at Brunchgate (twice?), I'll let this speak for my review:

http://www.newbelgium.com/beer/biere-de-mars

This paired pretty nicely with my 2nd course at Brunchgate which was about a half a plate of fruit salad. I'd guess the IBU to be about 20-30 and the ABV is listed at 6.2% so this allowed several (many :D ) more samplings as the morning progressed. The oats and wheat malts surprised me a bit and I did enjoy the citrus-like qualities of the brew.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 6:19 pm

Morehead City Imperial Porter-(aka CB&B's home brew)-This may be the 2nd best homebrew I have ever had and the best (an imperial stout) oughta be eliminated as it was supervised by the former owner/brewmaster of the now defunct Tomcat Brewing Company in Raleigh, technically making it a "professional" home brew. This IP is dark brown, nearly opaque but clean and clear (meaning no cloudiness or sediment). There is a small tan head and the aroma is toffee and medium to dark chocolate/caramel. It is a tad bitter up front and roasty but is very smooth. I did not ask the IBU but I'd guess 30-40 and the ABV is "rumored" to be 8.5-9%. Fortunately, I think I only had about six one-half ounce samples (we fed most of the remainder of the bottle to Jarhead :)) =)) ) so I could enjoy the remainder of the tastings in a vertical position and remember what I tasted ;) :D . This would be nice with moderate to heavily spiced or hot foods or as a dessert beer with chocolate items such as pound cake, cookies or candy. Good stuff, man. Seriously good stuff. And I even have 2 more bottles to enjoy in 30-60 days or more to see how it ages :D .
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 15th, 2009, 6:54 pm

Wagner :D Porter: a very nice dark beer. Pour is almost creamy. No bitterness whatsoever! Light carbonation. You might say it has good drinkability! I was tempted to put some ice cream in it!

Glad I was given two, just in case I liked it, 'cause I do!

Oh! DD and I are reviewing the same beer! But I disagree on the initial bitterness thing.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 6:57 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Wagner :D Porter: a very nice dark beer. Pour is almost creamy. No bitterness whatsoever! Light carbonation. You might say it has good drinkability! I was tempted to put some ice cream in it!

:D :)) =)) :ymapplause: ^:)^

We're still working on that gentle palate of yours, Oz! :roll: ;) :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » November 15th, 2009, 6:59 pm

devildeac wrote:Morehead City Imperial Porter-(aka CB&B's home brew) This would be nice with moderate to heavily spiced or hot foods or as a dessert beer with chocolate items such as pound cake, cookies or candy.
I actually had a leftover creme filled Krispy Kreme donut with it. Donuts and beer - the breakfast, or desert in this case, of champions! =))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 7:01 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Wagner :D Porter: a very nice dark beer. Pour is almost creamy. No bitterness whatsoever! Light carbonation. You might say it has good drinkability! I was tempted to put some ice cream in it!

Oh! DD and I are reviewing the same beer! But I disagree on the initial bitterness thing.
Just a bit. I was referring to the bitterness you might taste from the heavily/darkly roasted chocolate and black patent malts or one might describe from coffee, not the somewhat astringent bitterness one usually tastes with lots of hops.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 15th, 2009, 7:32 pm

devildeac wrote:

:D :)) =)) :ymapplause: ^:)^

We're still working on that gentle palate of yours, Oz! :roll: ;) :D
Very happy to hear both of you liked it. I will have an IPA and an oatmeal stout for Wake..finally bottled the IPA today, and the stout is ready to bottle if I ever finish cooking these damned oysters! (cleaning, cooking, then canning...at least only have half a bushel to go). Oz gave me two brews from past brunchgates, Bib Boss Harvest Time (too many spices), and a Two Hearted Ale, which we all liked and I am enjoying right now.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 15th, 2009, 7:42 pm

Sam Adams Stony Brook Red--Sam Adams has come out with 3 barrel aged beers in corked 750 ml bottles. I grabbed 2 of them on friday--the Stony Brook Red (wild ale) and a Tripel. Funky long necked bottles. The Stony Brook pours a red amber with a slight head. Taste is really dominated by lots of both sweet and tart cherries. There is a bit of funkiness and I can pick up some of the oak from the aging but these are fairly muted compared to the fruit. Finish is fairly sour and dry. The beer is a bit thinner than I expected it would be, especially at 9% but this also made it very easy to drink. I could have easily guzzled the whole thing but left half for tonight. Very well done by Sam Adams..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 15th, 2009, 7:53 pm

bluebear wrote:Sam Adams Stony Brook Red--Sam Adams has come out with 3 barrel aged beers in corked 750 ml bottles. I grabbed 2 of them on friday--the Stony Brook Red (wild ale) and a Tripel. Funky long necked bottles. The Stony Brook pours a red amber with a slight head. Taste is really dominated by lots of both sweet and tart cherries. There is a bit of funkiness and I can pick up some of the oak from the aging but these are fairly muted compared to the fruit. Finish is fairly sour and dry. The beer is a bit thinner than I expected it would be, especially at 9% but this also made it very easy to drink. I could have easily guzzled the whole thing but left half for tonight. Very well done by Sam Adams..
Have them send some down to Total Wine next week. ;) :D (or Whole Foods)
Seriously, I have enjoyed their Imperial Series (pilsner, double bock, witbier and stout) and would certainly try both of the above. Assuming, of course, that they are not $100+/bottle as I heard their Millenium and Utopia releases were :(( .
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » November 15th, 2009, 8:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:Sam Adams Stony Brook Red--Sam Adams has come out with 3 barrel aged beers in corked 750 ml bottles. I grabbed 2 of them on friday--the Stony Brook Red (wild ale) and a Tripel. Funky long necked bottles. The Stony Brook pours a red amber with a slight head. Taste is really dominated by lots of both sweet and tart cherries. There is a bit of funkiness and I can pick up some of the oak from the aging but these are fairly muted compared to the fruit. Finish is fairly sour and dry. The beer is a bit thinner than I expected it would be, especially at 9% but this also made it very easy to drink. I could have easily guzzled the whole thing but left half for tonight. Very well done by Sam Adams..
Have them send some down to Total Wine next week. ;) :D (or Whole Foods)
Seriously, I have enjoyed their Imperial Series (pilsner, double bock, witbier and stout) and would certainly try both of the above. Assuming, of course, that they are not $100+/bottle as I heard their Millenium and Utopia releases were :(( .
$10 each which is not cheap but nor terrible for a 750ml...