Weather Check!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Weather Check!

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 9th, 2012, 2:02 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
IowaDevil wrote: We pampered an old A/C system for several years thinking we were doing a good thing. When we finally HAD to spring for a new one we were amazed at the savings in the electric bill and the efficiency of the new unit! Was false savings those several years. Soooo....from Iowa comes a shout out for a new one, you'll love it! :)
There are two reasons why new systems are cheaper to run. One is obvious, the second isn't. The first is electrical - they are electrically more efficient for a variety of reasons. The second is a physical reason. Has to do with heat transfer efficiency. There is oil in the compressor, on the freon side. As the system runs, it coats the inside of all the heat (or cold side) transfer surfaces, reducing the heat transfer efficiency - I'm talking about the condenser and evaporator. ASHRAE says you lose ~7% the first year, 5% the second year, and 2% each additional year you run your system. What this means is that each year, the cold air in your system doesn't blow as cold as a new system did, so it has to run longer to satisfy your thermostat. A new system will cool the air about 20F degrees from the return air temp, say 72 to 52 if your thermostat is set at 72. A ten year old system may only cool that same air to 57F (~15F), so it has to run longer to cool your house and satisfy the thermostat. So naturally a new system seems far more efficient, because it is.

Buying a new system costs many thousands of dollars, and if your system has failed, is necessary. But if your system works, I have a better solution. It's called Frigi-Tech. This is an oil lubricant additive that gets added to the existing oil in the compressor by an AC tech and both improves the electrical efficiency of the compressor ~10%, but more importantly, restores the ORIGINAL heat transfer efficiency of your system by displacing the built up oil on the heat transfer surfaces. On a new system, it keeps the original efficiency for the life of the system. And it doubles the life of the compressor, or remaining life of the compressor because it reduces wear on the metal parts.
Watch these three videos to get the whole story. First, click on the guy standing at the workbench to see the demo of the product in action - it's about 12 minutes. Then click on these next 2 videos to see an actual install on a 4 ton residential unit and then the follow up a week later to see the improvement in both amp draw and temperature drop on the supply air - and this was on a 100F day in Houston!
Web site, video one http://www.frigi-tech.com/
Install, video two http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP9a3m83 ... r_embedded
Results, video three http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-QGt0zt ... re=related

This product does need to be installed by a licensed AC tech, so you will need to hire one. In the Triangle area, I have a guy. As you can see, it'll take him just a few minutes, so he'll charge you for a basic service call, less than $100. You get the product from me. I'll need to know the make and model number of your AC units, and whether your system has R-22 or R410a refrigerant - they use different blends of Frigi-Tech. All that info is on the label of your outside unit. It will pay for itself in ~ 1 to 2 years in electrical savings, depending on the age of your system, and as I said, typically doubles the remaining life of your system.
We have 3 heat pumps. Please pm me what that would run.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 9th, 2012, 2:44 pm

CathyCA wrote:I am pleased to report that my downstairs reached its resting temperature of 76 degrees overnight. It only took 30+ hours for the temperature inside to cool down 18 degrees.

I will NEVER cut off my HVAC again.

:9f:
=)) =)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 9th, 2012, 3:14 pm

The heat pump for the living area is not working. It's 84 degrees. :(
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 9th, 2012, 5:40 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Web site, video one http://www.frigi-tech.com/

This product does need to be installed by a licensed AC tech, so you will need to hire one. In the Triangle area, I have a guy. As you can see, it'll take him just a few minutes, so he'll charge you for a basic service call, less than $100. You get the product from me. I'll need to know the make and model number of your AC units, and whether your system has R-22 or R410a refrigerant - they use different blends of Frigi-Tech. All that info is on the label of your outside unit. It will pay for itself in ~ 1 to 2 years in electrical savings, depending on the age of your system, and as I said, typically doubles the remaining life of your system.
I'm sure everyone has the same question. The Frigi-Tech itself costs $60/ton, so for a 3 ton unit, the product cost is $180, a 4 ton unit the product cost is $240, for a 5 ton unit it is $300. Plus tax and shipping and your labor cost. The AC tech needs a pump, as seen in the second video, which he probably has if he does commercial work. If he doesn't, there may be an additional $50 material (pump) rental cost involved, depending on your location, and it has to be shipped back. VDB, I can come by on Wednesday and look at your units to get the label info I need to size your units in Efland.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 9th, 2012, 7:19 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote: Web site, video one http://www.frigi-tech.com/

I'm sure everyone has the same question. The Frigi-Tech itself costs $60/ton, so for a 3 ton unit, the product cost is $180, a 4 ton unit the product cost is $240, for a 5 ton unit it is $300. Plus tax and shipping and your labor cost. The AC tech needs a pump, as seen in the second video, which he probably has if he does commercial work. If he doesn't, there may be an additional $50 material (pump) rental cost involved, depending on your location, and it has to be shipped back. VDB, I can come by on Wednesday and look at your units to get the label info I need to size your units in Efland.
If your in this area, come on. I'll be here with the kitchen guys. I have no idea what our heat pumps "tons" are. If your not in the area, wait until your going to be.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 9th, 2012, 11:12 pm

I don't have a lot of hope that the heat pump is fixed. It's only dropped 3 degrees. :(
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 10th, 2012, 11:18 am

The air conditioning has caught up, I think because it's so much cooler. We'll see how it does when it gets hot again. Out of all the storms, we only got 1/4 in. of rain. We'll take what we can get.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 10th, 2012, 11:54 am

Today it is supposed be mid 80's, mostly coudy with off and on rain. Instead it is about 95 and sunny. The weatherman is an asshole.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » July 10th, 2012, 12:24 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Today it is supposed be mid 80's, mostly coudy with off and on rain. Instead it is about 95 and sunny. The weatherman is an asshole.
You need to tweet that to The Weather Channel and/or WRAL.

=)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 10th, 2012, 4:06 pm

It's way to sunny here. #:-s
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » January 16th, 2013, 4:20 pm

I'm bringing this thread back up just for EarlJam. The word snow is beginning to appear in weather forecasts, including those for the Atlanta area. ;;)
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 16th, 2013, 6:09 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:I'm bringing this thread back up just for EarlJam. The word snow is beginning to appear in weather forecasts, including those for the Atlanta area. ;;)
And the word hell always appears in forecasts for the chappaheeya vicinity...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 1st, 2013, 8:38 am

8 degrees. Snowing with 2-4 inches forecast for the day. Winds 20-30 MPH. Putting on the layers now...
IowaDevil
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by IowaDevil » February 1st, 2013, 9:01 am

devildeac wrote:8 degrees. Snowing with 2-4 inches forecast for the day. Winds 20-30 MPH. Putting on the layers now...
I think we sent that your way....sorry! :(
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 1st, 2013, 9:52 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
CathyCA wrote:I wish someone would go by and check on my house. My geraniums probably turned over. I'm also concerned about the trees and the roof.

:9f:
I read that as trees on the roof, which is what you're concerned about. I sure hope not! Maybe some one from your office can go by. I'm not planning on going to G'ville today. Or this week. But if I do, I'll go by.

I read it the same way. Hope your trees AND your roof are fine. It is a little windy here today, and cold by central florida standards (high in the mid 60s). I will not complain.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » February 1st, 2013, 2:55 pm

The temp on the bottom of the TV screen this am as I was getting dressed said it was 4 degrees. That is really cold. Even with the cold temps, the air is so dry that the little bit of snow we got earlier this week is evaporating.

So we started the week with temps in the 70s, had thunderstorms, had snow, and now temps were in the single digits overnight. If you don't like the weather here, just wait awhile and it will change. Of course, you may not like that weather either.
Life is good!
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » February 2nd, 2013, 8:41 am

It was 13 when I got up this morning @ 7:30. It's supposed to be in the 30s today.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » February 2nd, 2013, 9:34 am

Beautiful sunny morning..in the 60s now, heading for the 70s.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
IowaDevil

Post by IowaDevil » February 2nd, 2013, 11:30 am

Am in AZ this morning. It's sunny, 58 and forecast says 78! I am so ready for this for a few days! :)
:happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f: :happy-bouncyblue: :9f:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 3rd, 2013, 8:43 pm

devildeac wrote:8 degrees. Snowing with 2-4 inches forecast for the day. Winds 20-30 MPH. Putting on the layers now...
Correction-it apparently never got above 2 degrees Fahrenheit on 2/1/13. Wind chills most of the day were between -15 and -20. My word, that is cold. :occasion-snowman: :occasion-snowman: