Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2009, 10:17 pm

cl15876 wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:The other beers in this series include a Bourbon Stout and, more excitingly, an India Barleywine.
Uhhhh...I'm drooling over either option.
Now wait a second, we had an INDIA PALE ALE, what is the difference between a PALE ALE and BARLEYWINE?
It's huge. Pale and IPA's are pretty much all about the hops. Barleywines are the opposite, and it's all there in the malts. Barleywines require lotta sugar and a high octane yeast to eat the sugar. They tend to be fruity in flavor, but that is a result of the remnant sweetness and the yeast variety. Barleywines are usually above 10%ABV, low carbonation, and heavy bodied.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 11th, 2009, 10:18 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote: Now wait a second, we had an INDIA PALE ALE, what is the difference between a PALE ALE and BARLEYWINE? CB&B, I think I slipped a HIGH SEAS into your 6'r because I paid attention! I still want to brew some RED ALE and EAT some of that BBQ or RIBS! :D
The primary difference, IMO, is that a barleywine will have a much frutier, malty sweetness backbone. An IPA (or IIPA) makes no attempt at balance--it's all rampaging id (hops). Both beers, however, are at the high end in terms of bitterness (scaled on what's called an IBU rating; anything above 70 or so and you're talking bitter; above 90 and your taste buds will be seared and ruined for the night :) ). The Odells beer is, apparently, a hybrid IPA and barleywine.
Quoted to being this to the current page as a comparison..happy to see RMD and I agree. :D

Edit...i had DD instead of RMD..damn beer goggles
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » November 11th, 2009, 10:19 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote: Now wait a second, we had an INDIA PALE ALE, what is the difference between a PALE ALE and BARLEYWINE? CB&B, I think I slipped a HIGH SEAS into your 6'r because I paid attention! I still want to brew some RED ALE and EAT some of that BBQ or RIBS! :D
The primary difference, IMO, is that a barleywine will have a much frutier, malty sweetness backbone. An IPA (or IIPA) makes no attempt at balance--it's all rampaging id (hops). Both beers, however, are at the high end in terms of bitterness (scaled on what's called an IBU rating; anything above 70 or so and you're talking bitter; above 90 and your taste buds will be seared and ruined for the night :) ). The Odells beer is, apparently, a hybrid IPA and barleywine.
thanks Rocky Mtn :ymdevil: for the clarification, BTW, I think I found that Denver Raspberry brew ... I might pick up for this weekend!
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » November 11th, 2009, 10:24 pm

cl15876 wrote: thanks Rocky Mtn :ymdevil: for the clarification, BTW, I think I found that Denver Raspberry brew ... I might pick up for this weekend!
The Great Divide Raspberry Ale? Delicious. A fruit beer that doesn't hit you over the head with fruit.

Also, for those in the New Belgium distribution area, Frambozen (raspberry brown ale) should start appearing shortly.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:28 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:The other beers in this series include a Bourbon Stout and, more excitingly, an India Barleywine.
Uhhhh...I'm drooling over either option.
I seriously doubt we'll see either of those at Total Wine or Whole Foods in NC any time this century :( :(( .

Unless, of course, we can get rmd to attend the 11/28 Brunchgate and transport a few for us ;) :D .
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:33 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Very well done. You might try to find a 750 ml bottle of Le Freak, the Green Flash hybrid between an American IIPA and Belgian Tripple. It clocks in at 101 IBU and 9.2% ABV. I have 1 bottle I'll enjoy soon and the 2nd I'll cellar for a year or two (I hope).
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » November 11th, 2009, 10:36 pm

devildeac wrote: Very well done. You might try to find a 750 ml bottle of Le Freak, the Green Flash hybrid between an American IIPA and Belgian Tripple. It clocks in at 101 IBU and 9.2% ABV. I have 1 bottle I'll enjoy soon and the 2nd I'll cellar for a year or two (I hope).
I need to find to that. Green Flash IPA is one of my favorite beers (and one of the most bitter out there). Thanks for the tip.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:36 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote: thanks Rocky Mtn :ymdevil: for the clarification, BTW, I think I found that Denver Raspberry brew ... I might pick up for this weekend!
The Great Divide Raspberry Ale? Delicious. A fruit beer that doesn't hit you over the head with fruit.

Also, for those in the New Belgium distribution area, Frambozen (raspberry brown ale) should start appearing shortly.
I traded 6ers with a drug rep this week and he left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington. ( :swear: ) He swears he'll be back next week with a couple "make up calls." :)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 11th, 2009, 10:39 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:

I traded 6ers with a drug rep this week and he left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington. ( :swear: ) He swears he'll be back next week with a couple "make up calls." :)) =))
Damn, I'm feeling 2 timed! I hate that! :ymblushing: :D ;)
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » November 11th, 2009, 10:41 pm

devildeac wrote: I traded 6ers with a drug rep this week and he left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington. ( :swear: ) He swears he'll be back next week with a couple "make up calls." :)) =))
I believe you are entitled to interest. Calculated at a conservative rate, that equals a total of 8 beers. A decent settlement might include a sixer of 2-below and a bomber of something else.
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 11th, 2009, 10:42 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote: I traded 6ers with a drug rep this week and he left his 12 pack of 2 Below in Wilmington. ( :swear: ) He swears he'll be back next week with a couple "make up calls." :)) =))
I believe you are entitled to interest. Calculated at a conservative rate, that equals a total of 8 beers. A decent settlement might include a sixer of 2-below and a bomber of something else.
So I reckon we'll be seeing ya with those bombers at the Wake .vs. Duke game? :D I can't wait to taste them and meet ya also (BTW)!!!! :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:43 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote: Very well done. You might try to find a 750 ml bottle of Le Freak, the Green Flash hybrid between an American IIPA and Belgian Tripple. It clocks in at 101 IBU and 9.2% ABV. I have 1 bottle I'll enjoy soon and the 2nd I'll cellar for a year or two (I hope).
I need to find to that. Green Flash IPA is one of my favorite beers (and one of the most bitter out there). Thanks for the tip.
You also may want to find a single of the Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale which is basically a Amarillo dry hopped red IPA and quite interesting. The IBU are moderate at 45 and the ABV at 6.2% make it a nice session starter. I got a 6er from Miles as a trader at the twerp Brunchgate and am enjoying my next to last one now. I reviewed it about 2 weeks ago and there will be one for 8-x and one for CB&B in this week's traders. See what advantages attending a Brunchgate can be ;) :D .
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 11th, 2009, 10:44 pm

devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:
You also may want to find a single of the Green Flash Hop Head Red Ale which is basically a Amarillo dry hopped red IPA and quite interesting. The IBU are moderate at 45 and the ABV at 6.2% make it a nice session starter. I got a 6er from Miles as a trader at the twerp Brunchgate and am enjoying my next to last one now. I reviewed it about 2 weeks ago and there will be one for 8-x and one for CB&B in this week's traders. See what advantages attending a Brunchgate can be ;) :D .
Damn, DD... You keep raising the BAR! You are reminding me of my X! LOL
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:45 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:

Damn, I'm feeling 2 timed! I hate that! :ymblushing: :D ;)
Don't worry 8-x , I'll make it up to you this weekend. ;) :-*
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:46 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
Quoted to being this to the current page as a comparison..happy to see RMD and I agree. :D

Edit...i had DD instead of RMD..damn beer goggles
"Beer goggles" :)) =))
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » November 11th, 2009, 10:46 pm

I love RED ALE!!!! IT IS REAL POTENT (I mean GOOD!)!!!! :ymblushing: :p ;) :D
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » November 11th, 2009, 10:47 pm

cl15876 wrote: So I reckon we'll be seeing ya with those bombers at the Wake .vs. Duke game? :D I can't wait to taste them and meet ya also (BTW)!!!! :D
I would like nothing more than to attend a Brunchgate, and I'd be all over the Wake game if the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals wasn't expecting something from me the following week x_x. But, I'll be planning a trip for next season--and have suitcase full of beer.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:50 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
:)) =))

Are you willing to negotiate a settlement for me or is that not your area of legal expertise? :)) =))

He has actually been pretty good the last couple months or so. He has brought a few bombers by the office to help my "prescribing habits" (all legal, of course) favor his company's products, which, BTW, I use frequently anyway. After all, I'm not free but I am reasonable :roll: ;) :D .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:54 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
cl15876 wrote: So I reckon we'll be seeing ya with those bombers at the Wake .vs. Duke game? :D I can't wait to taste them and meet ya also (BTW)!!!! :D
I would like nothing more than to attend a Brunchgate, and I'd be all over the Wake game if the 10th Circuit Court of Appeals wasn't expecting something from me the following week x_x. But, I'll be planning a trip for next season--and have suitcase full of beer.
"...suitcase full of beer."

Pack safely and carefully :D .

Ever think about attending a MBB game? I may have a couple extra tix for the 12/29 and 12/31 games...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm

cl15876 wrote:
devildeac wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:
Damn, DD... You keep raising the BAR! You are reminding me of my X! LOL
I dunno about that 8-x . You've brought some fine quality ales to the Brunchgates this year.