Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Furniture
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: The Political Junkie Thread

Post by Furniture » July 4th, 2022, 11:50 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/theeunfluenc ... 8167088129

Here’s Highland Park shooter Bobby Crimo attending a Trump rally last year.#MAGA
If anyone ever tells you they are a stable genius. Get the hell out of there.
CrazyNotCrazie
Full Time Student at PWing school

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 5th, 2022, 9:10 am

Furniture wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 11:50 pm

Here’s Highland Park shooter Bobby Crimo attending a Trump rally last year.#MAGA
Yup. But Republicans will run on the platform that all violence in this country is 100% caused by liberals such as BLM. Examples like this plus all of the wack-jobs who were involved in January 6 would say otherwise.

I'm sure some 22 year old Tucker Carlson wanna be who is interning at Fox News is currently digging through Highland Park's financials to show that they reduced funding for police by a few dollars to fund cultural programs and they will say that this is the sole cause of what happened.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2022, 12:26 pm

Furniture wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 11:50 pm

Found Waldo. And he's an asshole.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 5th, 2022, 2:51 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 4th, 2022, 7:29 pm
Following on my own post, just found out that a very good friend who lives nowhere near Chicago was visiting family and was at the parade with his elementary school-aged child and other members of his family. Fortunately they are fine but I'm sure the kid (and adults) are totally freaked out. So now it got even more personal.
I wish the best for your friend and his family. An attack like that can affect ones mental well-being for a long, long time, even for life. I hope they are all able to process the event in a productive way, and if not that they are able to secure any help that they might need.

I'll be completely honest: I don't care that it was enshrined in the Constitution. The Second Amendment as currently interpreted by the U.S. Supreme Court is simply inappropriate for the modern era.

And, in fact, the notion "enshrined in the Constitution" is not even a suitable phrase. To quote from Thomas Jefferson's letter to John Cartwright, June 5th, 1824:
Thomas Jefferson wrote:Can one generation bind another, and all others, in succession for ever? I think not. The Creator has made the earth for the living, not the dead. Rights and powers can only belong to persons, not to things, not to mere matter, unendowed with will. ... A generation may bind itself, as long as it’s majority continues in life; when that has disappeared, another majority is in place, holds all the rights and powers their predecessors once held and may change their laws and institutions to suit themselves.
It's time for change, not enshrinement in some Constitutional Hall of Fame.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » July 5th, 2022, 4:19 pm

Rudy Giuliani, Lindsey Graham subpoenaed by grand jury in Trump election probe.....

The subpoena said Graham “made at least two telephone calls" to Raffensperger and his staff. "During the telephone calls, [Graham] questioned Secretary Raffensperger and his staff about reexamining certain absentee ballots cast in Georgia in order to explore the possibility of a more favorable outcome for former President Donald Trump. [Graham] also made reference to allegations of widespread voter fraud in the November 2020 election in Georgia, consistent with public statements made by known affiliates of the Trump Campaign," the subpoena said.

Wouldn’t it be lovely...
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2022, 4:35 pm

Furniture wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 4:19 pm
Rudy Giuliani, Lindsey Graham subpoenaed by grand jury in Trump election probe.....

The subpoena said Graham “made at least two telephone calls" to Raffensperger and his staff. "During the telephone calls, [Graham] questioned Secretary Raffensperger and his staff about reexamining certain absentee ballots cast in Georgia in order to explore the possibility of a more favorable outcome for former President Donald Trump. [Graham] also made reference to allegations of widespread voter fraud in the November 2020 election in Georgia, consistent with public statements made by known affiliates of the Trump Campaign," the subpoena said.

Wouldn’t it be lovely...
I saw that, and it took some digging to figure out that the chances of any of those folks testifying is slim to none. I'm sure OPK can give better insight, but aside from the fact that none of them reside in state, they are all likely to claim "executive privilege" or "attorney-client ultra secrecy".

But, IF, any of them does actually show up? Then yay.
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 5th, 2022, 6:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 4:35 pm
Furniture wrote:

Wouldn’t it be lovely...
I saw that, and it took some digging to figure out that the chances of any of those folks testifying is slim to none. I'm sure OPK can give better insight, but aside from the fact that none of them reside in state, they are all likely to claim "executive privilege" or "attorney-client ultra secrecy".

How is a call from Graham to Raffensperger covered in any way by executive privilege or attorney-client privilege? Graham is not a member of the executive branch, nor has he ever had an attorney-client relationship - in either direction - with Raffensperger. As for not residing in Georgia, both Georgia and South Carolina have adopted UIDDA (the Uniform Interstate Depositions and Discovery Act), which should mean that a subpoena properly filed in Georgia can then be properly presented to the clerk of court in South Carolina which is then obligated to issue a corresponding South Carolina subpoena for proper enforcement. I'm sure there are ways to delay things, and I'm sure those tactics will be employed to the hilt as much as possible, but as a blanket statement, I'm curious how you conclude that the chances of them testifying are "slim to none". Can you provide any links or sources for that?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2022, 6:51 pm

How is a call from Graham to Raffensperger covered in any way by executive privilege or attorney-client privilege?

Oh I 100% agree...but their lawyers won't I guess.
Phredd3 wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 6:05 pm
I'm sure there are ways to delay things, and I'm sure those tactics will be employed to the hilt as much as possible, but as a blanket statement, I'm curious how you conclude that the chances of them testifying are "slim to none". Can you provide any links or sources for that?
I think I read in here about exec priv somewhere, I know I read about attrny/client priv.
It may be difficult for Fulton prosecutors to secure testimony from Giuliani, Eastman, Mitchell, Chesebro, Deason and Ellis, since they could argue attorney-client privilege. Eastman claimed the exemption as he sought to block the handover of evidence to the select committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack, though he was largely shot down by a federal judge.
As far as any other weasling out, I'm going with them being out of state. I don't know how that works in making it mandatory for someone to testify when it isn't a federal case.
The subpoenas were filed July 5 and signed by Fulton Superior Court Judge Robert McBurney, who is overseeing the special grand jury. They noted that all seven people were “a necessary and material witness” to the investigation.

Unlike subpoenas issued to Georgians, the summons required McBurney’s blessing since they are for people who reside outside the state.
https://www.ajc.com/politics/fulton-gra ... LKA7TIQQM/
OPK
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by OPK » July 5th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Phredd3 wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 6:05 pm
July 5th, 2022, 4:35 pm
Furniture wrote:

Wouldn’t it be lovely...

How is a call from Graham to Raffensperger covered in any way by executive privilege or attorney-client privilege? Graham is not a member of the executive branch, nor has he ever had an attorney-client relationship - in either direction - with Raffensperger. As for not residing in Georgia, both Georgia and South Carolina have adopted UIDDA (the Uniform Interstate Depositions and Discovery Act), which should mean that a subpoena properly filed in Georgia can then be properly presented to the clerk of court in South Carolina which is then obligated to issue a corresponding South Carolina subpoena for proper enforcement. I'm sure there are ways to delay things, and I'm sure those tactics will be employed to the hilt as much as possible, but as a blanket statement, I'm curious how you conclude that the chances of them testifying are "slim to none". Can you provide any links or sources for that?
Does the UIDDA apply to criminal cases or grand juries? I’ve only seen it used in the civil context but my only real criminal law experience is in federal courts.

And for those wondering if Judge McBurney is some hick — no.

https://www.fultoncourt.org/judges/viewjudge.php?id=33
Furniture

Post by Furniture » July 5th, 2022, 7:36 pm

1ECBF872-AE5D-4CE2-B12F-1DC9C5E59333.jpeg
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 5th, 2022, 7:54 pm

OPK wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Does the UIDDA apply to criminal cases or grand juries? I’ve only seen it used in the civil context but my only real criminal law experience is in federal courts.

Don't ask us...we are relying on you for ALL of our legal answers! ;)
OPK

Post by OPK » July 5th, 2022, 8:43 pm

July 5th, 2022, 7:54 pm
OPK wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 6:59 pm

Don't ask us...we are relying on you for ALL of our legal answers! ;)
Oh . . . In that case, the answer is:

You can do it, but it’s not as quick and easy as one might hope.

(Just guessing, but you won’t lose money betting on that as a general proposition).
OPK

Post by OPK » July 5th, 2022, 9:18 pm

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 9:10 am

I'm sure some 22 year old Tucker Carlson wanna be who is interning at Fox News is currently digging through Highland Park's financials to show that they reduced funding for police by a few dollars to fund cultural programs and they will say that this is the sole cause of what happened.
You overestimate their need to actually have facts.

https://twitter.com/noliewithbtc/status ... 1ThkRAcnAQ

Sickening.
Furniture

Post by Furniture » July 5th, 2022, 9:27 pm

OPK wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 9:18 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Sickening.
Unbelievable...
CrazyNotCrazie

Post by CrazyNotCrazie » July 5th, 2022, 9:45 pm

OPK wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 9:18 pm
CrazyNotCrazie wrote:

Sickening.
I'm all for freedom of speech but I wish the Biden administration would do something about their broadcasting license. Or more of corporate America would stop advertising there.

Or have a law that anyone who regularly watches that garbage is not allowed to vote. Which would really solve all of our problems. The only thing more scary about what he is saying is that tens of millions of Americans have no problem with it.
dudog

Post by dudog » July 6th, 2022, 10:09 am

538 analysis of the supreme court divide. Bottom line: it's bad.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... nerations/
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2022, 10:48 am

dudog wrote:
July 6th, 2022, 10:09 am
538 analysis of the supreme court divide. Bottom line: it's bad.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/th ... nerations/
Usually, around half of the court’s rulings are unanimous and decisions that pit the conservative and liberal blocs against each other are much rarer. Not this year. According to SCOTUSBlog data analyzed by FiveThirtyEight, 21 percent of rulings were polarized by party of the appointing president, with all Republican appointees voting one way and all Democratic appointees voting the other way, and only 29 percent were unanimous.
Sigh.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2022, 10:55 am

CrazyNotCrazie wrote:
July 5th, 2022, 9:45 pm
I'm all for freedom of speech but I wish the Biden administration would do something about their broadcasting license. Or more of corporate America would stop advertising there.

Or have a law that anyone who regularly watches that garbage is not allowed to vote. Which would really solve all of our problems. The only thing more scary about what he is saying is that tens of millions of Americans have no problem with it.
Here's an article somewhat addressing this, but instead of FOX, it's focus is conservative radio in general, and the complete lies that they spew nationwide every single day.
Republican politicians and cable outlets like Fox News have carried the torch for Trump’s conspiracy theories ever since. But the loudest and most consistent booster of these unfounded claims has been talk radio, where conservative hosts reduce the jumble of false voter fraud theories into a two-word mantra: “Democrats cheat.”
Mentions of “Democrats cheating” and similar ideas were raised more than 5,000 times on syndicated radio shows and local broadcasts this year, according to an analysis of data from Critical Mention, a media monitoring service. Similar ideas were mentioned a few hundred times on television shows and podcasts tracked by Critical Mention during the same period.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/conservative ... 42946.html
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 6th, 2022, 11:46 am

Pat Cipollone, Donald Trump’s former White House counsel, is scheduled to testify Friday before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to a person briefed on the matter.
Good.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-ci ... 52241.html
Phredd3

Post by Phredd3 » July 6th, 2022, 12:14 pm

July 6th, 2022, 11:46 am
Pat Cipollone, Donald Trump’s former White House counsel, is scheduled to testify Friday before the House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol, according to a person briefed on the matter.
Good.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/ap-source-ci ... 52241.html
I will be very curious to hear what, exactly, Mr. Cipollone feels he is able to say and on what topics, given the various potential privileges in play. Depending on how those questions are answered, this could be very productive or a complete nothing-burger. Noteworthy is that he declined to voluntarily appear, and he is only responding now that a subpoena has been issued.