Weather Check!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Weather Check!

Post by Lavabe » June 30th, 2012, 1:49 am

ILJ drove from here to Greensboro tonight. I had her stop in Mt. Sterling, KY, and wait there 30 minutes while the monster wind front came through. I also had her wait because of the icky storms behind the wind front. This was the set of storms that earlier pelted Ymo in Ohio. The front preceded ILJ by like 30 minutes all throughout WV and VA. She never went through any rain. According to ILJ, eastern WV and western VA had trees in the roadway, and many places lost their power. That smell of trees torn down was all over the place. The hotel we booked in Hillsville lost power, and the people reported severe wind damage. ILJ wound up driving all the way to Greensboro.

I hope all is okay with lawgrad.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 30th, 2012, 8:18 am

Lavabe wrote:ILJ drove from here to Greensboro tonight. I had her stop in Mt. Sterling, KY, and wait there 30 minutes while the monster wind front came through. I also had her wait because of the icky storms behind the wind front. This was the set of storms that earlier pelted Ymo in Ohio. The front preceded ILJ by like 30 minutes all throughout WV and VA. She never went through any rain. According to ILJ, eastern WV and western VA had trees in the roadway, and many places lost their power. That smell of trees torn down was all over the place. The hotel we booked in Hillsville lost power, and the people reported severe wind damage. ILJ wound up driving all the way to Greensboro.

I hope all is okay with lawgrad.
Wow! That is scary.

You are a thoughtful husband to make ILJ stop. She is blessed to have you as her hubby.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 30th, 2012, 8:36 am

To be fair, Ilj called me 30 minutes after leaving wondering what was going on weather-wise, as the wind was slamming her vehicle. I generally let her go, but the wind and radar was hideous. I initially suggested an hour delay... 30 minutes was all I could stop her. I played weather radar jockey from home. Fortunately, she rented a jeep.

The state of WV is a disaster area, and Va got slammed big time. I've seen a report where at least 500,000 people lost power. Given the heat forecast for today, I really feel for people in this region, as well as in DC and MD.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » June 30th, 2012, 9:12 am

devildeac wrote:Haven't found out for certain yet whether the 106 degrees today set a record high for June 29 or an all-time high for any day. Bleecchhh! Bring on those October Brunchgates!
Don't forget that October can be beautiful or it can be brutal.

There was an early October game about three years ago when it was so hot (95 degrees or so). The sun was very direct with no clouds. No shade except places except under places Finch-Yeager Building. Might have been the Navy game. The concession stands ran out of water. The ambulances were busy all day taking people to get medical care. It was bad enough that Duke officials have since made better preparations for future game days with such difficult conditions. ;;)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 30th, 2012, 4:54 pm

It's fuckin' hot.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 30th, 2012, 6:49 pm

Not to rub it in or anything, but it's currently 82 degrees here. We had a few rain showers, and it's still pretty cloudy. How ironic is it that it's roughly 20 degrees cooler here than in St. Louis and Little Rock?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 30th, 2012, 6:58 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Not to rub it in or anything, but it's currently 82 degrees here. We had a few rain showers, and it's still pretty cloudy. How ironic is it that it's roughly 20 degrees cooler here than in St. Louis and Little Rock?
Ironic? Where's BostonDevil? ;)

Just remember... you no longer have access to Ted Drewe's. ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 30th, 2012, 7:01 pm

102 today. That's three 100+ days in a row. #:-s It's FRIGGIN' hot.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2012, 7:17 pm

My car thermometer said 111 after 6 pm. :flame:

As hot as I have been today, I am grateful for my A/C.

The entire city of Martinsville was without power most of the day, and it is coming back on slowly. Several of my coworkers have no power still. Vibes for those who have no A/C. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 30th, 2012, 9:23 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:My car thermometer said 111 after 6 pm. :flame:
Only 111? =)) Got you beat! I posted this on Facebook while driving back this afternoon. This was just north of Savannah, still in Georgia, about mile marker 109 on I-95.
Attachments
Temp on I-95 near Savanah, June 30, 2012.jpg
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 30th, 2012, 10:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Only 111? =)) Got you beat! I posted this on Facebook while driving back this afternoon. This was just north of Savannah, still in Georgia, about mile marker 109 on I-95.
Well, actually, it was 119 when we left wherever we were earlier in the day. It was so hot, I don't even remember where we were. I just figured it was because the car had been parked in the non-shade. :flame:
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 1st, 2012, 8:51 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Well, actually, it was 119 when we left wherever we were earlier in the day. It was so hot, I don't even remember where we were. I just figured it was because the car had been parked in the non-shade. :flame:
There must have been some carolina team in the area. Clearly Hell was leaking out! :ymdevil: :9f:

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 1st, 2012, 3:23 pm

Greg Fishel just called with a T-storm warning for "our house". Checked the radar and there is something north of Raleigh and it is moving southeast, but nothing really imminent. Hope he's wrong.

Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » July 1st, 2012, 3:30 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Greg Fishel just called with a T-storm warning for "our house". Checked the radar and there is something north of Raleigh and it is moving southeast, but nothing really imminent. Hope he's wrong.
One line of such storms came through the western edge of the Piedmont a little more than 2 hours ago. There was lots of wind, little rain. Power knocked out in some areas because of wind gusts. We were lucky. Hope those to the east are as well.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 1st, 2012, 4:12 pm

We just had a great storm here, it dropped the temps about 20 degrees for a half hour. We took the chance to go for a walk. Now it's both fkn hot and fkn muggy. (But our walk was nice!)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 1st, 2012, 4:58 pm

I am at the beach and I shall not complain about the weather.

“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 1st, 2012, 5:38 pm

I'm inside and glad to be here. Granddaughter Donna and Baby Henry left today for DukePA's house. They should be there now or will be very soon.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 2nd, 2012, 9:41 am

Our power is still out at home, we had about 30 minutes of constant 50-60mph winds during yesterday's storm; it was impressive as hell to watch out the window. It did cool things off a lot though!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » July 2nd, 2012, 11:26 am

I wish someone would go by and check on my house. My geraniums probably turned over. I'm also concerned about the trees and the roof.

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 2nd, 2012, 11:43 am

CathyCA wrote:I wish someone would go by and check on my house. My geraniums probably turned over. I'm also concerned about the trees and the roof.

I read that as trees on the roof, which is what you're concerned about. I sure hope not! Maybe some one from your office can go by. I'm not planning on going to G'ville today. Or this week. But if I do, I'll go by.