LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Bostondevil » September 15th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Pink sportswear size 4T or less does not count.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 15th, 2009, 4:28 pm

CellR, sounds like either a chemical exposure, a Norwalk style virus is running around your school, or the third option which I really hope is not the case but I'll be honest, it's the first one I thought of "somebody got a bad batch". I've never fallen into seizure but up until that point it sounds like what happens to me when I'm exposed to WD40. Allergies to inhalants can act like that, was there any heavy duty cleaning going on at the school, new carpets, paint jobs?
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 6:04 pm

Miles wrote:
CellR wrote:So, one of my good friends fainted and fell out of her chair today in AP Earth/Environmental Science....
Yikes buddy. First, I hope your friend and classmates are all okay, both physically and emotionally.

Do you know if the administration has plans to investigate potential causes? Perhaps it was your experiment, or some other cause like tainted building materials, poor ventilation, etc.

Vibes to everyone!
I have no idea, I would give it about a 50/50 chance that they investigate it, but who knows.
I think they are both fine. I know that the first one, one of my good friends, is doing better.
Bostondevil wrote:CellR, sounds like either a chemical exposure, a Norwalk style virus is running around your school, or the third option which I really hope is not the case but I'll be honest, it's the first one I thought of "somebody got a bad batch". I've never fallen into seizure but up until that point it sounds like what happens to me when I'm exposed to WD40. Allergies to inhalants can act like that, was there any heavy duty cleaning going on at the school, new carpets, paint jobs?
A chemical exposure is definitely possible. I have no idea what a Norwalk style virus is. I can pretty much guarantee you the "Bad Batch" cause isn't the case -- at least for the first girl (my friends). However, the second one might have been possible...

At this point, I think that the cause is the sulfur produced by the fish tank full of algae. The room had a tinge of a sulfur smell the entire period, which was no doubt a result of what they did in first period. We are studying how oxygen fluctuates in water. Apparently, my friend is extremely allergic to sulfur, so it wouldn't be a stretch to hypothesize that sitting in our class for an hour, with sulfur in the air, caused the reaction. It also makes sense for the second case as well. It seems like it would be too great of a coincidence for both girls to seize/pass out within five minutes of each other due to separate causes.
Class of 2014
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 15th, 2009, 6:15 pm

CellR wrote:
Miles wrote:
CellR wrote:So, one of my good friends fainted and fell out of her chair today in AP Earth/Environmental Science....
Yikes buddy. First, I hope your friend and classmates are all okay, both physically and emotionally.

Do you know if the administration has plans to investigate potential causes? Perhaps it was your experiment, or some other cause like tainted building materials, poor ventilation, etc.

Vibes to everyone!
I have no idea, I would give it about a 50/50 chance that they investigate it, but who knows.
I think they are both fine. I know that the first one, one of my good friends, is doing better.
Bostondevil wrote:CellR, sounds like either a chemical exposure, a Norwalk style virus is running around your school, or the third option which I really hope is not the case but I'll be honest, it's the first one I thought of "somebody got a bad batch". I've never fallen into seizure but up until that point it sounds like what happens to me when I'm exposed to WD40. Allergies to inhalants can act like that, was there any heavy duty cleaning going on at the school, new carpets, paint jobs?
A chemical exposure is definitely possible. I have no idea what a Norwalk style virus is. I can pretty much guarantee you the "Bad Batch" cause isn't the case -- at least for the first girl (my friends). However, the second one might have been possible...

At this point, I think that the cause is the sulfur produced by the fish tank full of algae. The room had a tinge of a sulfur smell the entire period, which was no doubt a result of what they did in first period. We are studying how oxygen fluctuates in water. Apparently, my friend is extremely allergic to sulfur, so it wouldn't be a stretch to hypothesize that sitting in our class for an hour, with sulfur in the air, caused the reaction. It also makes sense for the second case as well. It seems like it would be too great of a coincidence for both girls to seize/pass out within five minutes of each other due to separate causes.
Sounds like a case for Dr. House.
Life is good!
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » September 15th, 2009, 6:26 pm

Sulfur allergies exist and are not all that rare.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 15th, 2009, 6:53 pm

I wore my bright pink Duke shirt Saturday. Since Duke won the game, I'm wondering if I need to keep wearing the shirt every game.

Though, I hate pink being used to promote sports teams. It's just not right. If you are a fan, then you should wear the teams colors, even if they don't go with your complexion. I wear black and orange when I go to an O's game. I will not wear pink.

Now, if I had a little girl, I'd dress her in Duke pink, Bulls pink, Orioles pink, etc. But, once she got older, she'd be in team colors.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 15th, 2009, 8:52 pm

Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:When a kid is that young and has no hair, you are required by law to dress them in girly or boyish colors so people don't feel awkward when they come up and say "Oooh, what an adorable b... g... child!"

So good thing they make pink Duke clothes for babies!
I always cover my ass with the quick-fire, three question attack. Goes like this.
"What a cute baby! How old? Name? Brothers and sisters?"

If someone doesn't divulge the baby's gender after these questions, I just keep referring to the baby as 'baby'. I haven't made an ass out of myself yet. Well, I mean of course I have, but not at least for that reason.
The name theory works unless the baby has an androgynous name like Taylor, Tyler, Alex, Devin, Cameron, Madison, Morgan, etc.,
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 15th, 2009, 9:37 pm

I can't believe it's 9:37 p.m. and I'm all by myself. Oh well, time for bed. i-) i-) i-) i-) i-) i-)
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 15th, 2009, 9:44 pm

Proud Mom moment: My younger son just qualified for the Duke TIP 7th grade talent search. He'll be taking the SAT in December. :D

Frustrating Ex-Lax moment 15 minutes ago: "What if he does well enough on the SAT to get in the summer program? He can't go. He's supposed to be with MEEEEEEEEEEEEE this summer." Yup, Buttwipe, it's all about YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, isn't it? (Why isn't there an emoticon for the one-fingered salute?)
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » September 15th, 2009, 10:07 pm

CathyCA wrote:Proud Mom moment: My younger son just qualified for the Duke TIP 7th grade talent search. He'll be taking the SAT in December. :D

Frustrating Ex-Lax moment 15 minutes ago: "What if he does well enough on the SAT to get in the summer program? He can't go. He's supposed to be with MEEEEEEEEEEEEE this summer." Yup, Buttwipe, it's all about YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU, isn't it? (Why isn't there an emoticon for the one-fingered salute?)
Shin kicks to ex-lax.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 15th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
wilson wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Tom Brady with 2 minutes to play! If we're gonna talk quarterbacks, I mean.
Oh, please. He was handed that game on a plate last night. He's of course clutch, but last night's victory is by no means legendary according to Brady standards.
I didn't mention last night. But since you did, how 'bout them Pats! I didn't get to see even a single play of Falcons/Dolphins. They showed us Texans/Jets and Vikings/Browns(!?!).

Do you hate all Boston teams, wilson?
I do not hate Boston teams other than the red sox. It irritates me that for fully 6-8 weeks of the year, ESPN et. al. would have us believe that professional sports are only played in New York and Boston.
My above observation is merely an objective (and I think accurate) assessment of this past weekend's Patriots game, and Tom Brady in general. Like Roger Federer, I must respect him as a transcendent champion at the very least. But to classify the recent victory against the Bills among his classics is simply erroneous.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » September 15th, 2009, 10:40 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I wore my bright pink Duke shirt Saturday. Since Duke won the game, I'm wondering if I need to keep wearing the shirt every game.

Though, I hate pink being used to promote sports teams. It's just not right. If you are a fan, then you should wear the teams colors, even if they don't go with your complexion. I wear black and orange when I go to an O's game. I will not wear pink.

Now, if I had a little girl, I'd dress her in Duke pink, Bulls pink, Orioles pink, etc. But, once she got older, she'd be in team colors.
Keep the pink shirt rocking. Not at any point in the past decade (including Saturday) have I believed any Duke football team could turn in a second-half comeback like that. I know I'm reprising my wardrobe from last Saturday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2009, 10:44 pm

Test :

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » September 15th, 2009, 10:46 pm

devildeac wrote:Test :

I have one of those hats.

~ James Naismith
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 15th, 2009, 10:47 pm

CellR wrote:At this point, I think that the cause is the sulfur produced by the fish tank full of algae. The room had a tinge of a sulfur smell the entire period, which was no doubt a result of what they did in first period. We are studying how oxygen fluctuates in water. Apparently, my friend is extremely allergic to sulfur, so it wouldn't be a stretch to hypothesize that sitting in our class for an hour, with sulfur in the air, caused the reaction. It also makes sense for the second case as well. It seems like it would be too great of a coincidence for both girls to seize/pass out within five minutes of each other due to separate causes.
Two years ago, my daughter was one of two girls to seize/pass out within five minutes of each other during a chorus practice... before singing. Even more bizarre... both girls have the same first name.

Hard to believe... but true. And now you know the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREST of the story!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 10:47 pm

Is this a secret message?
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 10:50 pm

So tomorrow I'm going to talk/interview (Kind of informal) with a distant/not too distant family friend about getting her to write me a recommendation. She is a radiologist, graduated from Duke, sent four kids to Duke (and one daughter to Yale, who is currently playing field hockey there), and is first in her MBA class at Yale... Good gracious. I hope she likes me! I don't think I've seen her in four or five years.

Send me some vibes, please! :D
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » September 15th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Miles wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:When a kid is that young and has no hair, you are required by law to dress them in girly or boyish colors so people don't feel awkward when they come up and say "Oooh, what an adorable b... g... child!"

So good thing they make pink Duke clothes for babies!
I always cover my ass with the quick-fire, three question attack. Goes like this.
"What a cute baby! How old? Name? Brothers and sisters?"

If someone doesn't divulge the baby's gender after these questions, I just keep referring to the baby as 'baby'. I haven't made an ass out of myself yet. Well, I mean of course I have, but not at least for that reason.
Sounds like the old SNL sketch "That's our Pat!!" with Julia Sweeney.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2009, 10:59 pm

CellR wrote:

Is this a secret message?
No.

I have no clue how to post photos so I am having my older daughter help me as I prepare for "the milestone" in a few minutes. I hope you and the rest of CT approve ;) :D . Stay tuned....
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2009, 11:02 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
wilson wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:Ronnie - scheduled C-section - see above baby weight

I'm glad the only C was the last one. Not my preferred method of travel. It's like an airline flight, cramped, uncomfortable, unpleasant, and claustrophobic with one small advantage, if things go right, it doesn't last as long.
From what I understand, you're pretty limited in the number of C-sections they can do on you. My cousin had three and the last time, they told her that another basically wasn't an option.
They could install a zipper.
Or a tubal litigation...(sic) :roll: :)) =))