LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 2:36 pm

Bostondevil wrote:Where was I last Tuesday?
Here, helping us achieve our goal of 9909! :D :D
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 2:37 pm

DukeUsul wrote:I wonder when the mods are gonna come down hard on us for going "off-topic" in the LTE and pulling all these baby posts out into a baby thread of its own.

Oh yeah. Never. This is CTN.
Next time. If you guys ever go off topic again, you might be done for. =))
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 2:37 pm

I'm all alone..... With no one here beside me.....
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 2:38 pm

Really though, I could start a pretty good streak.
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 2:39 pm

Users browsing this forum: CellR and 1 guest

I wonder who these "guests" are that we see every now and then. Why would you ever visit CTN without registering? And after you've registered, why would you ever visit without signing in? You can't PW without signing in!
Class of 2014
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » September 15th, 2009, 2:51 pm

So, one of my good friends fainted and fell out of her chair today in AP Earth/Environmental Science. We think she was having a seizure, but I haven't been able to talk to her since then, but it only lasted about 10-15 seconds. She was shaking and her eyes rolled back in her head. I couldn't see what happened, so I had no idea what was going on until about halfway through it. Luckily, Nicholas Spark's son came to the rescue. Everybody else was just standing there, stunned. It was a really scary experience, I wish I had been able to help her though. It ended and she seemed fine. I'm betting it was low blood sugar (diabetes), because some of her family members have it pretty bad, although she has never been diagnosed. Although, after reading about it it seems like diabetic seizures are much worse and possibly life-threatening.... Hmm...

Anyways, on to the second half of my story.

Maybe five minutes after she was taken out of the class, my teacher had just finished her story about "The third day I was a teacher this happened, and so on..." the girl two seats in front of me mentioned she was feeling ill. She asked the teacher if she could go to the bathroom because she felt like she was about to throw up... Seconds later her head started nodding, and she collapsed, falling out of the chair with her eyes rolling back in her head - seizure again? We thought she was faking it at first, making a horrible joke, until she fell. She hit her head pretty hard, but luckily we knew what to do this time. Nicholas Spark's son once again saved the day, although I helped a tad bit this time. The nurses came back and took her with them...

At this point, about half of the class was crying, and everybody was freaked out. The first one, I could deal with pretty easily. The second one, however, shook me up more than I admitted. Just seeing her fall from behind, and her head lolling back with her eyes rolled back gave me chills. Ughhhh...

It was probably one of the strangest occurances I have ever seen. How often do two people faint/seize in a 5 minute span? A few people thought it might have been due to the smell in the class, a pretty strange sensation coming from a fish tank filled with algae in the back of the room (an experiment). I don't know what it was, but I sure don't ever want to have a seizure.

That whole thing made me realize, once again, that I think I would feel the best if I went into something to do with medicine. I hate not being able to/not knowing what to do in situations like that. My lifeguarding training didn't go into much detail about situations like these, only the more basic, life-threatening situations that you would normally encounter at a pool.

What a day... Hopefully I don't have another day this exciting any time in the near future (or ever, for that matter).
Class of 2014
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » September 15th, 2009, 3:14 pm

CellR wrote:So, one of my good friends fainted and fell out of her chair today in AP Earth/Environmental Science. We think she was having a seizure, but I haven't been able to talk to her since then, but it only lasted about 10-15 seconds. She was shaking and her eyes rolled back in her head. I couldn't see what happened, so I had no idea what was going on until about halfway through it. Luckily, Nicholas Spark's son came to the rescue. Everybody else was just standing there, stunned. It was a really scary experience, I wish I had been able to help her though. It ended and she seemed fine. I'm betting it was low blood sugar (diabetes), because some of her family members have it pretty bad, although she has never been diagnosed. Although, after reading about it it seems like diabetic seizures are much worse and possibly life-threatening.... Hmm...

Maybe five minutes after she was taken out of the class, my teacher had just finished her story about "The third day I was a teacher this happened, and so on..." the girl two seats in front of me mentioned she was feeling ill. She asked the teacher if she could go to the bathroom because she felt like she was about to throw up... Seconds later her head started nodding, and she collapsed, falling out of the chair with her eyes rolling back in her head - seizure again? We thought she was faking it at first, making a horrible joke, until she fell. She hit her head pretty hard, but luckily we knew what to do this time. Nicholas Spark's son once again saved the day, although I helped a tad bit this time. The nurses came back and took her with them...

At this point, about half of the class was crying, and everybody was freaked out. The first one, I could deal with pretty easily. The second one, however, shook me up more than I admitted. Just seeing her fall from behind, and her head lolling back with her eyes rolled back gave me chills. Ughhhh...

It was probably one of the strangest occurances I have ever seen. How often do two people faint/seize in a 5 minute span? A few people thought it might have been due to the smell in the class, a pretty strange sensation coming from a fish tank filled with algae in the back of the room (an experiment). I don't know what it was, but I sure don't ever want to have a seizure.

That whole thing made me realize, once again, that I think I would feel the best if I went into something to do with medicine. I hate not being able to/not knowing what to do in situations like that. My lifeguarding training didn't go into much detail about situations like these, only the more basic, life-threatening situations that you would normally encounter at a pool.

What a day... Hopefully I don't have another day this exciting any time in the near future (or ever, for that matter).
I hope the rest of the school year is not this exciting. Sounds like a first aid class is in your future.
Life is good!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » September 15th, 2009, 3:21 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I saw a pink Carolina sweatshirt yesterday. It was worn by a graduate student at the Harvard School of Public Health. It had baby blue lettering. It was just as ugly as you might imagine. Does Duke sell pink sweatshirts in the Bryan center? I hope not.
Unfortunately pink Duke attire does exist.
DukePA

Post by DukePA » September 15th, 2009, 3:23 pm

CellR wrote:So, one of my good friends fainted and fell out of her chair today in AP Earth/Environmental Science. We think she was having a seizure, but I haven't been able to talk to her since then, but it only lasted about 10-15 seconds. She was shaking and her eyes rolled back in her head. I couldn't see what happened, so I had no idea what was going on until about halfway through it. Luckily, Nicholas Spark's son came to the rescue. Everybody else was just standing there, stunned. It was a really scary experience, I wish I had been able to help her though. It ended and she seemed fine. I'm betting it was low blood sugar (diabetes), because some of her family members have it pretty bad, although she has never been diagnosed. Although, after reading about it it seems like diabetic seizures are much worse and possibly life-threatening.... Hmm...

That is truly frightening. I hope both of them are okay and that there is an easy-to-deal-with explanation.
Miles

Post by Miles » September 15th, 2009, 3:39 pm

CellR wrote:So, one of my good friends fainted and fell out of her chair today in AP Earth/Environmental Science....
Yikes buddy. First, I hope your friend and classmates are all okay, both physically and emotionally.

Do you know if the administration has plans to investigate potential causes? Perhaps it was your experiment, or some other cause like tainted building materials, poor ventilation, etc.

Vibes to everyone!
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » September 15th, 2009, 3:40 pm

Bostondevil wrote:I saw a pink Carolina sweatshirt yesterday. It was worn by a graduate student at the Harvard School of Public Health. It had baby blue lettering. It was just as ugly as you might imagine. Does Duke sell pink sweatshirts in the Bryan center? I hope not.
IIRC, I have seen Duke t-shirts in pink or yellow. Ewww...
And they weren't even away unis... :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 15th, 2009, 4:03 pm

devildeac wrote:
IIRC, I have seen Duke t-shirts in pink or yellow. Ewww...
And they weren't even away unis... :roll:
I remember Cameron in green...it was bad, even if it lasted for only one half.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 15th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Wow CellR, that's a bizarre story. Keep us up to date if they find anything behind it.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » September 15th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Are you guys telling me that THIS is not adorable?

-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » September 15th, 2009, 4:10 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Are you guys telling me that THIS is not adorable?

Dude, that's totally not fair. Of course we can't say that, but you gotta admit.... Duke Pink? Just doesn't roll off the tongue like Duke Blue.
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » September 15th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Don't go screwing up her sense of fashion at such an impressionable age.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 15th, 2009, 4:13 pm

Miles wrote:

Dude, that's totally not fair. Of course we can't say that, but you gotta admit.... Duke Pink? Just doesn't roll off the tongue like Duke Blue.
That's so cute I think I just snarfed. ;) Very cute. I don't have any Duke pink stuff for our Katie, but I do have a pink Redskins jersey for her.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » September 15th, 2009, 4:14 pm

When a kid is that young and has no hair, you are required by law to dress them in girly or boyish colors so people don't feel awkward when they come up and say "Oooh, what an adorable b... g... child!"

So good thing they make pink Duke clothes for babies!
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » September 15th, 2009, 4:15 pm

DukeUsul wrote:When a kid is that young and has no hair, you are required by law to dress them in girly or boyish colors so people don't feel awkward when they come up and say "Oooh, what an adorable b... g... child!"

Our Katie STILL doesn't have any hair.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Miles

Post by Miles » September 15th, 2009, 4:18 pm

DukeUsul wrote:When a kid is that young and has no hair, you are required by law to dress them in girly or boyish colors so people don't feel awkward when they come up and say "Oooh, what an adorable b... g... child!"

I always cover my ass with the quick-fire, three question attack. Goes like this.
"What a cute baby! How old? Name? Brothers and sisters?"

If someone doesn't divulge the baby's gender after these questions, I just keep referring to the baby as 'baby'. I haven't made an ass out of myself yet. Well, I mean of course I have, but not at least for that reason.
sMiles