Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by Miles » October 26th, 2009, 5:15 pm

Note: Miles is slammed at work today after a very enjoyable weekend. I sampled many fine brews this weekend, and even took tasting notes. I shall be reporting my findings soon.
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2009, 5:21 pm

Miles wrote:Note: Miles is slammed at work today after a very enjoyable weekend. I sampled many fine brews this weekend, and even took tasting notes. I shall be reporting my findings soon.
Excellent. Some of us did it by memory and I remembered a bit better than CB&B, but still forgot the Piraat and the name of the fancy arse lambic that 8-x brought.
I have been known to take notes if I am having a beer flight/flite at a brewpub or restaurant. Yea, it's :-B , but it sure helps to remember if you have a buncha 3-4 ounce samples of 5 beers or more.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 26th, 2009, 9:11 pm

devildeac wrote:Second in a series, but NOT consumed on the same night:

Harpoon Leviathan-... It tastes it, too with a buncha different hops which explode into flavors of pine, flowers and grapefruit. Massive amounts of malts balance this brew with some caramel sweetness and an ABV of 9.3%. This beverage would match nicely with spicy/hot dishes. Hey, CB&B and 8-x , whaddaya think? ;) :D

Sounds to me like you were 3 or more sheets to the wind!!!! :)) :)) :)) :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: =)) =)) =)) =)) You asked? =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » October 26th, 2009, 9:12 pm

devildeac wrote:
Miles wrote:Note: Miles is slammed at work today after a very enjoyable weekend. I sampled many fine brews this weekend, and even took tasting notes. I shall be reporting my findings soon.
Excellent. Some of us did it by memory and I remembered a bit better than CB&B, but still forgot the Piraat and the name of the fancy arse lambic that 8-x brought.
I have been known to take notes if I am having a beer flight/flite at a brewpub or restaurant. Yea, it's :-B , but it sure helps to remember if you have a buncha 3-4 ounce samples of 5 beers or more.
I sure HOP that isn't a hint, because you might be axing me to remember!!! :)) :)) :)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I brought them for all ya all to get shit faced, I mean enjoy and review! ;) :D :ymblushing: I brought the brocolli salad .... ummm, I think..... ;) :p :-* :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2009, 9:42 pm

Orange Blossom Pilsner 2
I picked up 3 at TW for this past weekend. One for DD, one for 8-x , and one for me. I have two..so one of those two got shafted. No worries, I'll have this one as a trader again because it is excellent. I've only had a couple pilsners stand out enough to revisit, Heavy Seas Uber Pils is one, the other is from Old Dominion I believe. The OBP2 is something entirely different, the honey is the overwhelming flavor, it is just copious in its presence. The beer is a nice golden color, light head, low IBU's...10-30 range I'm guessing. It's very sweet, and the honey is so prescient that it is really remeniscent of a meade. It's also a sipper. As good as it tastes, you have to moderate at 11%ABV. You read that right, 11%. A really highly recommended dessert beer; it would be perfect to split a 12oz bottle with a cobbler. If you have seen it and haven't tried it, get it. To whomever didn't get it in their trader pack, I'll have more at the next brunchgate.
www.orangeblossompilsner.com
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2009, 10:12 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Orange Blossom Pilsner 2
I picked up 3 at TW for this past weekend. One for DD, one for 8-x , and one for me. I have two..so one of those two got shafted. No worries, I'll have this one as a trader again because it is excellent. I've only had a couple pilsners stand out enough to revisit, Heavy Seas Uber Pils is one, the other is from Old Dominion I believe. The OBP2 is something entirely different, the honey is the overwhelming flavor, it is just copious in its presence. The beer is a nice golden color, light head, low IBU's...10-30 range I'm guessing. It's very sweet, and the honey is so prescient that it is really remeniscent of a meade. It's also a sipper. As good as it tastes, you have to moderate at 11%ABV. You read that right, 11%. A really highly recommended dessert beer; it would be perfect to split a 12oz bottle with a cobbler. If you have seen it and haven't tried it, get it. To whomever didn't get it in their trader pack, I'll have more at the next brunchgate.
http://www.orangeblossompilsner.com
I got mine so it must be 8-x who got hosed :( . I'll have mine later in the week.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 7:18 pm

Oskar Blues Dale Pale Ale
I loved their ESB, and I'm not dissapointed by the DPA. It's not as much of a memorable standout like the ESB, but it's a very good IPA. My problem with IPA's is that even though are tons to choose from, there are few that are truly memorable. This one isn't a true memory beer, but it's worth buying when you see it. A classic IPA, well hopped, flavorful malts (but nothing distinct), high IBU's (but not extreme--75-85 range I'm guessing). Heavily bodied, not flat, but not lots of carbonation either. I noticed the same with the ESB, I have to wonder if this is a product of being in a can versus the bottle. 6.5%ABV makes it a worthy session beer.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 27th, 2009, 9:42 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Oskar Blues Dale Pale Ale
I loved their ESB, and I'm not dissapointed by the DPA. It's not as much of a memorable standout like the ESB, but it's a very good IPA. My problem with IPA's is that even though are tons to choose from, there are few that are truly memorable. This one isn't a true memory beer, but it's worth buying when you see it. A classic IPA, well hopped, flavorful malts (but nothing distinct), high IBU's (but not extreme--75-85 range I'm guessing). Heavily bodied, not flat, but not lots of carbonation either. I noticed the same with the ESB, I have to wonder if this is a product of being in a can versus the bottle. 6.5%ABV makes it a worthy session beer.
I'm partial to Dale's. It's my go to beer and, IMO, one of the better sessionable American Pale Ales.

One minor correction: Oskar Blues doesn't make an ESB (as far as I know). Ska Brewing Co. out of Duragno, Colorado does make an ESB and, like Oskar Blues, they put it in a can. My guess it that's what you're thinking of/enjoyed.

--and, for those interested, Ska does make a IIPA called Modus Hoperandi that is very good and also comes in a can. But, it's more comparable to Oskar Blues the Gordon than Dale's.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 9:49 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: One minor correction: Oskar Blues doesn't make an ESB (as far as I know). Ska Brewing Co. out of Duragno, Colorado does make an ESB and, like Oskar Blues, they put it in a can.
Yes!...Thanks very much..it is Ska Brewing..and the can got me. Regardless of the brewer, that beer is a favorite.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 27th, 2009, 9:50 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote: One minor correction: Oskar Blues doesn't make an ESB (as far as I know). Ska Brewing Co. out of Duragno, Colorado does make an ESB and, like Oskar Blues, they put it in a can.
Yes!...Thanks very much..it is Ska Brewing..and the can got me. Regardless of the brewer, that beer is a favorite.
It is excellent. Their canned Blonde Ale is also very tasty.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 10:00 pm

Founder's Cerise
Drinking my last of the four pack, this beer is different. It's a cherry ale, brewed with real cherries. Low IBU, (5-15 guessing), it pours a cloudy light red haze, and it tastes intensely fruity. Obviously cherry flavored, but it's more; there are malts to balance the taste. Very heavy body and hardly any head. At 6.5%ABV, it's a session beer, but I wouldn't want to have one back to back. It really needs a lighter flavor in between to break up the heavy body and taste, I'm not sure I'd have more than one in an evening. This is the 4th of the 4 pack, and it has stayed in my fridge for a month now...that's a long time for a brew in my kitchen. There is a reason it sat there so long. It's not bad, not by a long shot; it's just one of those tastes that is better appreciated in sparsity.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 27th, 2009, 10:04 pm

Instead of going to the Great Divide event tonight I chose to come home and walk the dog in the rain/snow :|. My reward was a first taste of Avery's duganA IIPA. This beer has been described as a more sessionable cousin to the Maharaja IIPA.

Well, call me old fashioned, but I like the Maharaja better. First, they've certainly toned down the pungent cannabis aroma that makes the Maharaja so enjoyable. On the nose, this beer has some pine and citrus, but is dominated by the malt sweetness and a somewhat unpleasant smell that I can't pin down. The flavor is actually quite bitter for a supposedly toned beer, and makes you pucker a bit more than the Maharaja does. It hits all of the IIPA notes--grapefruit, pine, caramel--but it's all very resinous and medicinal. This isn't a bad beer by any means, but it's not great either. A rare miss by the folks at Avery. At least I still have some Old Jubilation.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 27th, 2009, 10:55 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Founder's Cerise
Drinking my last of the four pack, this beer is different. It's a cherry ale, brewed with real cherries. Low IBU, (5-15 guessing), it pours a cloudy light red haze, and it tastes intensely fruity. Obviously cherry flavored, but it's more; there are malts to balance the taste. Very heavy body and hardly any head. At 6.5%ABV, it's a session beer, but I wouldn't want to have one back to back. It really needs a lighter flavor in between to break up the heavy body and taste, I'm not sure I'd have more than one in an evening. This is the 4th of the 4 pack, and it has stayed in my fridge for a month now...that's a long time for a brew in my kitchen. There is a reason it sat there so long. It's not bad, not by a long shot; it's just one of those tastes that is better appreciated in sparsity.
Ida been happy to take one of those off your hands... :(( :((
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 28th, 2009, 10:38 pm

forgot this one from last week: Magic Hat #9-draft from The Cuban Revolution at the new American Tobacco warehouse area. They describe it pretty well as a "not quite pale ale." Cascade and Columbus hops with an IBU of 20. Pale and Crystal malts for an ABV of 4.6%. Had this with some mildly spicy hot Ropa Vieja and some "potato" nachos, which ended up as a nice combination. Light golden-orange with a small head and light on the citrus and pine with a hint of light caramel sweetness. Only had time for one as we headed to Duke for a couple events for Parents Weekend and, by the time we got home about MN, I was beat so I had a one pint session that day. Made up for it at Brunchgate though. ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 29th, 2009, 11:31 pm

Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout 2009 edition hit the shelves of Total Wine last week and is released this year in 4 packs. Now I'll have to buy 3 of these suckers instead of two 6ers :D . Still one of my favorite all-time beers going on about 10 years now. A typical imperial stout with 6 malts and lots of roastiness which yields a nearly black beer with a slight hint of oiliness and a medium sized, medium tan head. I'd guess the IBU in the 40-50 range and the ABV this year is 10%. I still like Michael Jackson's (the bearded, hoppy one, not the deceased bleached one) description of it that I read about 10 years ago: a shot of whiskey in a dark chocolate malted (paraphrased). There is little, if any, espresso here. It is dark, semi-sweet chocolate all the way. Have it at cellar temps by itself, with some chocolate dessert (cookie, brownies or cake) or with a large scoop of vanilla ice cream with a straw or spoon. CB&B gave me one of these as a trader in addition to the 4 I bought, but, as it is a perennial favorite, I can never have enough BBCS in the 'fridge or in the cellar :D . I may have some from as far back as 2006 hidden somewhere and will plan on a vertical session sometime this winter =p~ .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2009, 5:02 pm

Bottled my "imperial" porter today, we'll see how imperial it actually is, but early taste test bodes well. So did the hydrometer. And since I found my lost one, I now have two to verify. Both confirm 8.5% ABV. That's the highest I've created, the extra pound of dry malt extract did the trick I was hoping it would. Really nice color, looking forward to trying it out of the bottle. Of course it will be present at the GT game.
Going to move my "imperial" IPA to a secondary fermenter, and get my carboy ready for the stout I'm brewing tomorrow. (Which will also be "imperialized")
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 5:16 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Bottled my "imperial" porter today, we'll see how imperial it actually is, but early taste test bodes well. So did the hydrometer. And since I found my lost one, I now have two to verify. Both confirm 8.5% ABV. That's the highest I've created, the extra pound of dry malt extract did the trick I was hoping it would. Really nice color, looking forward to trying it out of the bottle. Of course it will be present at the GT game.
Going to move my "imperial" IPA to a secondary fermenter, and get my carboy ready for the stout I'm brewing tomorrow. (Which will also be "imperialized")
Are you sure you're not Sam Adams? ;) :D
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 30th, 2009, 5:18 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Bottled my "imperial" porter today, we'll see how imperial it actually is, but early taste test bodes well. So did the hydrometer. And since I found my lost one, I now have two to verify. Both confirm 8.5% ABV. That's the highest I've created, the extra pound of dry malt extract did the trick I was hoping it would. Really nice color, looking forward to trying it out of the bottle. Of course it will be present at the GT game.
Ha! I was very worried about "off flavors", they got my last 2 all grain batches so I was a bit anxiuos. It tastes very nice, I'm looking forward to the results of some aging.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 5:27 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
devildeac wrote:
Ha! I was very worried about "off flavors", they got my last 2 all grain batches so I was a bit anxiuos. It tastes very nice, I'm looking forward to the results of some aging.
I'm looking forward to the aging AND tasting... ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 30th, 2009, 5:39 pm

Trader review: Clipper City McHenry Old Baltimore Style Beer-A disappointment from these folks that make the High Seas and Mutiny Fleet series. This is a lager (I shoulda figgered) and had a very small head and a faint aroma of floral hops (single variety and probably not very plentiful in the brewing process). The pale and caramel malts (I'm guessing here) were pleasant and slightly bready and caramel-like. I'd guess the IBU in the 20-30 range and the ABV is 4.5%, so not a bad session beer. I'd bet this one came from 8-x , but no bad feelings, big guy, as the next one redeemed the evening ;) :D .