Ymm, Beer!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 10:15 pm

devildeac wrote:I'll offer this one as the 1000th post in this thread:

Keelhauler Scotch Ale-Full Sail Brewing Company-Great but sad story here. I brought this $3 bomber (no typo-3 bucks!) back directly from the brewery after a tour in March when we returned after Dad's death and just got around to sharing it with the Brunchgate crowd yesterday. Pops would have been happy with this choice of a standard scotch ale with lots of caramel and chocolate malts and flavors with a hint of peat and smoke. Once again, think a brown ale type brew with IBU of 30-40 and the IBU is listed at 6.8%. This was excellent with the baked beans and Mrs. Ozzie's almost-melt-in-your-mouth re-creation of Val's beef brisket. Yummy.

There aren't many better things than sharing some of the finest offerings of life including the four F's: faith, family, friends and football. And ironically, that is what Coach Cut emphasized during his summer tour when he came to Raleigh. He stressed one's personal faith above all. He discussed how important his family is to him and how fellowship/friendship were interwoven with the game of football. I had the opportunity to experience the combination of fine family, food/beverages and fellowship yesterday with the football, in addition to a couple other F's, namely some fugly playing/officiating AND some foul/fowl weather. But, well after the rain had ceased, we realized we had a great day and, in the end, some more pleasant experiences of Duke sports and more fond memories of Dad and how much he liked to be with us on those occasions.
Nothing much to add to that except for thanks for the Keelhauler (a really wonderful brew) and an excellent post. Very well said. Sharing the Keelhauler and the other beers we tasted yesterday with friends helped make a good day a great day.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 11:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Keelhauler Scotch Ale-Full Sail Brewing Company-Great but sad story here. I brought this $3 bomber (no typo-3 bucks!) back directly from the brewery after a tour in March when we returned after Dad's death and just got around to sharing it with the Brunchgate crowd yesterday. Pops would have been happy with this choice of a standard scotch ale with lots of caramel and chocolate malts and flavors with a hint of peat and smoke. Once again, think a brown ale type brew with IBU of 30-40 and the IBU is listed at 6.8%. This was excellent with the baked beans and Mrs. Ozzie's almost-melt-in-your-mouth re-creation of Val's beef brisket. Yummy.

There aren't many better things than sharing some of the finest offerings of life including the four F's: faith, family, friends and football. And ironically, that is what Coach Cut emphasized during his summer tour when he came to Raleigh. He stressed one's personal faith above all. He discussed how important his family is to him and how fellowship/friendship were interwoven with the game of football. I had the opportunity to experience the combination of fine family, food/beverages and fellowship yesterday with the football, in addition to a couple other F's, namely some fugly playing/officiating AND some foul/fowl weather. But, well after the rain had ceased, we realized we had a great day and, in the end, some more pleasant experiences of Duke sports and more fond memories of Dad and how much he liked to be with us on those occasions.
Nothing much to add to that except for thanks for the Keelhauler (a really wonderful brew) and an excellent post. Very well said. Sharing the Keelhauler and the other beers we tasted yesterday with friends helped make a good day a great day.

I did not post a review of the raspberry lambic that 8-x brought 'cuz I could not remember the danged name after all those other samplers :oops: :ymblushing: . Did I omit any other tastings from yesterday?

I have 2 more Full Sail bombers in the "cellar," the Imperial Porter and Old Boardhead, their annual barleywine. Hmm, 2 more Brunchgates, too...
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 25th, 2009, 11:05 pm

Thanks for the review and the post. Like all things, food, beer and football always taste better when enjoyed with good friends and family.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 11:10 pm

devildeac wrote: Did I omit any other tastings from yesterday?
Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale, and The Piraat...which I only had a very small tasting of, not enough to make a review on. My favorite of the day was a toss up between the Otter Creek and a wheat that TNTdevil brought, the name escapes me. I'll make a point to find out and pick up a bottle for a proper review..it was very well done.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 11:20 pm

Terrapin's Rye Pale...
I picked up the sixer on Friday and had one that night. Interesting beer..but not a favorite. Well hopped and bitter enough, but I'm tempted to call it "musty". I'm assuming it was the rye malts. I sent one with DD and 8-x as traders so I'll be interested to see what they think. I enjoyed the Farmhouse Ale more, but both were in honor of the team to beat.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 25th, 2009, 11:21 pm

As promised a little over a week ago, tonight I finally did my mini-vertical of Avery's Old Jubilation winter ale. Old Jubilation is Avery's winter seasonal, available from September through December. It also has one of my very favorite labels:

The beer is a non-spiced winter ale, which is refreshing given the amount of brewers who, IMO, cover up otherwise mediocre beers with too much cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. The beer is cellarable for up two years and tonight I had a bottle of 2008 and 2009. The ABC is 8% and the IBUs are 30.

The 2009 had a nice toasty, hazelnut aroma. Unfortunately, for the first half of the beer (after I let it sit on the counter for 25 minutes or so) it was cloyingly sweet. After the beer came up to temperature, however, the hazelnut sweetness backed off and mixed perfectly with the toffee, caramel and chocolate notes. It's nice to drink a winter warmer that doesn't rely on the crutch of spices.

As for the 2008, I had to check the bottle to make sure I hadn't accidently opened a bottle of the Beast. This beer has changed so much in just a year (which makes me wish I had another 2008 bottle to try in a year). On the nose, the hazelnut is still there, but it's joined by a host of bright fruit--cherries and pineapple especially. The flavor is a bit boozier than the 2008, with a decent amount of bitterness, but again, more fruit than chocolate or caramel. Much like the Beast, the 2008 tastes like a really good dark rum. A totally different beer after just one year.

I also picked up a bottle of Avery's new Dugana IIPA. It's supposed to be a more floral, less intense version of the Maharaja. I have a dinner tomorrow and am hoping to go to a beer/cheese tasting at Great Divide on Tuesday. So, I likely won't taste it until Wednesday. Hope I can wait that long!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 11:29 pm

Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale, and The Piraat...which I only had a very small tasting of, not enough to make a review on. My favorite of the day was a toss up between the Otter Creek and a wheat that TNTdevil brought, the name escapes me. I'll make a point to find out and pick up a bottle for a proper review..it was very well done.
I forgot that I did have small tastes of the Piraat and that German wheat beer. That was very late in the afternoon, just before the BB game. I agree with you though that you need to pick up a bottle of each and share at the next event ;) :D. (or steal one of TNT's wheat brews :)) =)) )
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 25th, 2009, 11:34 pm

devildeac wrote:
I forgot that I did have small tastes of the Piraat and that German wheat beer. That was very late in the afternoon, just before the BB game. I agree with you though that you need to pick up a bottle of each and share at the next event ;) :D. (or steal one of TNT's wheat brews :)) =)) )
We also had a 8-x offering that I thought was going to be a lager (from the smell), but was indeed an ale. It might be one of the ones you have already mentioned. It was the tripel we tasted, and it was very good. I need to take notes next time!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 11:37 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:As promised a little over a week ago, tonight I finally did my mini-vertical of Avery's Old Jubilation winter ale. Old Jubilation is Avery's winter seasonal, available from September through December. It also has one of my very favorite labels:

The beer is a non-spiced winter ale, which is refreshing given the amount of brewers who, IMO, cover up otherwise mediocre beers with too much cinnamon, nutmeg, and cardamom. The beer is cellarable for up two years and tonight I had a bottle of 2008 and 2009. The ABC is 8% and the IBUs are 30.

The 2009 had a nice toasty, hazelnut aroma. Unfortunately, for the first half of the beer (after I let it sit on the counter for 25 minutes or so) it was cloyingly sweet. After the beer came up to temperature, however, the hazelnut sweetness backed off and mixed perfectly with the toffee, caramel and chocolate notes. It's nice to drink a winter warmer that doesn't rely on the crutch of spices.

As for the 2008, I had to check the bottle to make sure I hadn't accidently opened a bottle of the Beast. This beer has changed so much in just a year (which makes me wish I had another 2008 bottle to try in a year). On the nose, the hazelnut is still there, but it's joined by a host of bright fruit--cherries and pineapple especially. The flavor is a bit boozier than the 2008, with a decent amount of bitterness, but again, more fruit than chocolate or caramel. Much like the Beast, the 2008 tastes like a really good dark rum. A totally different beer after just one year.

I also picked up a bottle of Avery's new Dugana IIPA. It's supposed to be a more floral, less intense version of the Maharaja. I have a dinner tomorrow and am hoping to go to a beer/cheese tasting at Great Divide on Tuesday. So, I likely won't taste it until Wednesday. Hope I can wait that long!
More great stuff. I have had a couple bottles of Old Jubilation over the years and have enjoyed it each time. If you can find Old Ebenezer, the Bridgeport annual winter ale, or Jubelale, the Deschutes brew, I think you'd find them a bit lower ABV but comparable tastes as I don't believe they are "spiced" offerings either. Full Sail's Wassail Ale is in that category, too. As you can probably tell, I like the Oregon brews just about as much as the Colorado micros :D .
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 25th, 2009, 11:41 pm

devildeac wrote: More great stuff. I have had a couple bottles of Old Jubilation over the years and have enjoyed it each time. If you can find Old Ebenezer, the Bridgeport annual winter ale, or Jubelale, the Deschutes brew, I think you'd find them a bit lower ABV but comparable tastes as I don't believe they are "spiced" offerings either. Full Sail's Wassail Ale is in that category, too. As you can probably tell, I like the Oregon brews just about as much as the Colorado micros :D .
I've had--and enjoyed--the Jubelale on tap before. I need to look out for it, and the other you've listed, in bottle form this year. I really love winter ales. Done well, they might be my favorite style.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 11:47 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
devildeac wrote: More great stuff. I have had a couple bottles of Old Jubilation over the years and have enjoyed it each time. If you can find Old Ebenezer, the Bridgeport annual winter ale, or Jubelale, the Deschutes brew, I think you'd find them a bit lower ABV but comparable tastes as I don't believe they are "spiced" offerings either. Full Sail's Wassail Ale is in that category, too. As you can probably tell, I like the Oregon brews just about as much as the Colorado micros :D .
I've had--and enjoyed--the Jubelale on tap before. I need to look out for it, and the other you've listed, in bottle form this year. I really love winter ales. Done well, they might be my favorite style.
The label on the Ebenezer Ale, though not quite as "wintry" as the Old Jubilation, is still an interesting one, too.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 25th, 2009, 11:51 pm

devildeac wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote: Terrapin's Rye Pale Ale, and The Piraat...which I only had a very small tasting of, not enough to make a review on. My favorite of the day was a toss up between the Otter Creek and a wheat that TNTdevil brought, the name escapes me. I'll make a point to find out and pick up a bottle for a proper review..it was very well done.
We also had a 8-x offering that I thought was going to be a lager (from the smell), but was indeed an ale. It might be one of the ones you have already mentioned. It was the tripel we tasted, and it was very good. I need to take notes next time!
I thought the only tripel we tasted was the Piraat :ymblushing: .

Paging 8-x ! What other brews did we omit :(( ? We sampled one incredible assortment of brews yesterday. We are also well on our way to another 1000 posts with tonight's onslaught =)) .
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 26th, 2009, 12:13 am

devildeac wrote: I thought the only tripel we tasted was the Piraat :ymblushing: .

Paging 8-x ! What other brews did we omit :(( ? We sampled one incredible assortment of brews yesterday. We are also well on our way to another 1000 posts with tonight's onslaught =)) .
The Piraat may have very well been it, but I think there was another. I was just thinking to myself that I had my voice recorder with me, it would have been perfect for recording on site reviews...or at least to mention what we had!
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 26th, 2009, 7:52 am

devildeac wrote:Otter Creek IIPA-Quite a find here by 8-x ! A monster I2PA I had never heard of before. A blend of 4 hops for an intense grapefruity nose and taste which is fairly well-balanced with 6 malts, including, somewhat surprisingly, some wheat malt. This one will indeed turn your tongue upside down and around with an enormous IBU of 135! It will also knock you on your arse with an ABV of 11%! I think 6 of us attacked this bad boy and amazingly we were still standing by the bottom of the bottle. TNT had his spiced/peppered beef tenderloin ready at this time after the FB game and the brew and the beef made a nice combination. Heads up to bluebear about this one. I think rmd would thoroughly enjoy this brew, too.
That is a nice find..I've never seen that up here...only their RIS and non-imperial type beers. Sounds great..I'll keep my eye out for this one..
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 26th, 2009, 7:54 am

There couldn't be a more perfect 1000 post...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 26th, 2009, 7:57 am

rockymtn devil wrote:As promised a little over a week ago, tonight I finally did my mini-vertical of Avery's Old Jubilation winter ale. Old Jubilation is Avery's winter seasonal, available from September through December. It also has one of my very favorite labels:

Great review...I grabbed a 6 pack of 2009 Jubilation last week..it's a great winter beer. A bit hoppier than the standard winter warmer which makes for a nice change of pace. Sounds like a season in the cellar has a big impact on it. I'll try to stash one of these away for next winter..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2009, 8:01 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Otter Creek IIPA-Quite a find here by 8-x ! A monster I2PA I had never heard of before. A blend of 4 hops for an intense grapefruity nose and taste which is fairly well-balanced with 6 malts, including, somewhat surprisingly, some wheat malt. This one will indeed turn your tongue upside down and around with an enormous IBU of 135! It will also knock you on your arse with an ABV of 11%! I think 6 of us attacked this bad boy and amazingly we were still standing by the bottom of the bottle. TNT had his spiced/peppered beef tenderloin ready at this time after the FB game and the brew and the beef made a nice combination. Heads up to bluebear about this one. I think rmd would thoroughly enjoy this brew, too.
That is a nice find..I've never seen that up here...only their RIS and non-imperial type beers. Sounds great..I'll keep my eye out for this one..
I gathered from their web site that this is a new addition in May, 2009 to their imperial series with the RIS being their 1st. There will be another release this season. In fact, you oughtta make plans to visit their brewery on 10/30 to be one of the first to taste the Quercus Vitis Humulus, a sauvignon grape/barleywine blend, aged in oak ;) :D =p~ .
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2009, 8:05 am

bluebear wrote:

There couldn't be a more perfect 1000 post...
:ymblushing:

Thank you. Windsor's personal 1000th post with 1000 thanks was pretty darned good, too.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » October 26th, 2009, 8:19 am

devildeac wrote: That is a nice find..I've never seen that up here...only their RIS and non-imperial type beers. Sounds great..I'll keep my eye out for this one..
I gathered from their web site that this is a new addition in May, 2009 to their imperial series with the RIS being their 1st. There will be another release this season. In fact, you oughtta make plans to visit their brewery on 10/30 to be one of the first to taste the Quercus Vitis Humulus, a sauvignon grape/barleywine blend, aged in oak ;) :D =p~ .[/quote]

Quercus is definitely on my radar...sounds incredibly tasty...They've pushed back the release a few times but it sounds from your research that friday is finally the day...a feel a cold coming on that will keep me out of work late in the week ;) :D
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » October 26th, 2009, 8:25 am

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote: That is a nice find..I've never seen that up here...only their RIS and non-imperial type beers. Sounds great..I'll keep my eye out for this one..
I gathered from their web site that this is a new addition in May, 2009 to their imperial series with the RIS being their 1st. There will be another release this season. In fact, you oughtta make plans to visit their brewery on 10/30 to be one of the first to taste the Quercus Vitis Humulus, a sauvignon grape/barleywine blend, aged in oak ;) :D =p~ .
Quercus is definitely on my radar...sounds incredibly tasty...They've pushed back the release a few times but it sounds from your research that friday is finally the day...a feel a cold coming on that will keep me out of work late in the week ;) :D[/quote]
Now that's a grea idea... :roll: ;) :D :)) =))