2009 NFL Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2009 NFL Thread

Post by CameronBornAndBred » October 27th, 2009, 8:26 am

At least John Fox is pondering benching the suckmeister.
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/nfl/story/6284089/
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » October 27th, 2009, 9:33 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Well...was today the beginning of the end for Brett Favre and the Vikings (no lie, I started to write Packers there and had to correct myself)? For those who didn't watch the game, don't be fooled by Favre's numbers (300+ passing yards and a high completion percentage). The Steelers defense had two goals in mind: 1) shut down Adrian Peterson and 2) don't give up big passing plays. They succeeded on both front (Peterson's numbers were mostly in the passing game). But, in order to achieve those goals, they were willing to give Favre little dink and dunk passes all day. And he used those to pad stats.

The real story, of course, is that Favre had two fourth quarter turnovers that the Steelers ran back or TDs. On the first, he held the ball too long and got stripped. On the second he forced a screen that wasn't there and it was intercepted. You can't win on the road when you give up two defensive TDs. I'll admit I've been eagerly awaiting Favre's demise and, as a Steelers fan, this win was especially sweet. But, Favre fucked up today and cost his team a win. Perhaps it came down to the Steelers doing what most teams can't--stopping Peterson and forcing Brett to win games (which he can't do anymore). If that's the case, maybe the Vikings will be fine. But I'm not so sure. Favre looked 40 today and that's a bad sign for the Vikes.
Favre made two glaring mistakes in this game. Measured against his other achievements this season I hardly think that's enough evidence to mark the beginning of the Vikings' demise. If you extract the two mistakes (and phenomenal defensive efforts) then you're looking at a quarterback that managed to dink and dunk his way to win against one of the better defenses in the league. Kudos to the Steelers defense for two big plays to bail the rest of the team out of the embarrassing position of losing to the Silver Fox at home but stopping Adrian Peterson had very little to do with the Steelers win.

The very fact that Favre was able to take what the Steelers gave him is a testament to his skill at the position. Bad quarterbacks force things and can't see the field. Good quarterbacks make the most of what defenses offer. Great quarterbacks exploit defenses. I've seen Favre consistently live between good and great this season. Pad his stats? I find it laughable unless you're also willing to admit that's what every quarterback does when a defense takes away the big play.

Brett Favre can't win games anymore? That's pretty much what he's been doing all season long. I hate that he came back, and I hate what it represents, but I must admit that I am blown away by his performance this year. Love him or hate him, one bad game feels a bit early to crank up the engine in the anti-Favre bandwagon.
sMiles
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » October 27th, 2009, 9:45 am

Miles wrote: Favre made two glaring mistakes in this game. Measured against his other achievements this season I hardly think that's enough evidence to mark the beginning of the Vikings' demise. If you extract the two mistakes (and phenomenal defensive efforts) then you're looking at a quarterback that managed to dink and dunk his way to win against one of the better defenses in the league. Kudos to the Steelers defense for two big plays to bail the rest of the team out of the embarrassing position of losing to the Silver Fox at home but stopping Adrian Peterson had very little to do with the Steelers win.

The very fact that Favre was able to take what the Steelers gave him is a testament to his skill at the position. Bad quarterbacks force things and can't see the field. Good quarterbacks make the most of what defenses offer. Great quarterbacks exploit defenses. I've seen Favre consistently live between good and great this season. Pad his stats? I find it laughable unless you're also willing to admit that's what every quarterback does when a defense takes away the big play.

Brett Favre can't win games anymore? That's pretty much what he's been doing all season long. I hate that he came back, and I hate what it represents, but I must admit that I am blown away by his performance this year. Love him or hate him, one bad game feels a bit early to crank up the engine in the anti-Favre bandwagon.
But your first sentence appears to prove my point. The Steelers decided that they were going to take Peterson out of the game (at least in terms of running) and make Favre win the game. He had two opportunities to do so and he made two big mistakes. On the screen pass, he forced a throw that he should not have made, which, according to you, is something bad quarterbacks do (I don't care that Taylor should have made the catch; the catch would have resulted in a 5 yard loss; nonetheless, Favre threw it early and into traffic.)

My point isn't that Favre can't play and take what the defense gives him. Instead, it's that, for the most part this season, he's been asked to be a caretaker (mostly against inferior competition; only two of the Vikings current games, and only one win, are against winning teams). On Sunday he was forced to win the game with his arm and, with that, Brett Favre the turnover machine returned. If teams can shut down Peterson and force 51 throws from Favre, they'll have success against the Vikings.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
Miles

Post by Miles » October 27th, 2009, 10:40 pm

rockymtn devil wrote: But your first sentence appears to prove my point. The Steelers decided that they were going to take Peterson out of the game (at least in terms of running) and make Favre win the game. He had two opportunities to do so and he made two big mistakes. On the screen pass, he forced a throw that he should not have made, which, according to you, is something bad quarterbacks do (I don't care that Taylor should have made the catch; the catch would have resulted in a 5 yard loss; nonetheless, Favre threw it early and into traffic.)

My point isn't that Favre can't play and take what the defense gives him. Instead, it's that, for the most part this season, he's been asked to be a caretaker (mostly against inferior competition; only two of the Vikings current games, and only one win, are against winning teams). On Sunday he was forced to win the game with his arm and, with that, Brett Favre the turnover machine returned. If teams can shut down Peterson and force 51 throws from Favre, they'll have success against the Vikings.
Favre did mistakes, but I hardly think this mistakes represent the beginning of the end for Favre or the Vikings. I need to see a bit more evidence before I'm ready to start blasting the guy.

Look, I loathe the way he's handled his so-called retirement, and I don't think he has what it takes to lead the Vikings to the Superbowl, but I do think your posts go a bit overboard in their attacks. Is the guy a supreme douchebag prima donna? Totally. But he's also completing 68.9% of his passes which puts him third behind P. Manning and Roethlisberger, he's number 8 in total yards with 1681 and he averages 240.1 yards/game and leaves last week with a 102.2 passer rating.

Favre goes back home to Green Bay, then he has a bye week to recover before facing a balanced schedule: three teams with losing records, three teams with winning records, and the Bears at 3-3. The schedule is hardly a cake walk, but it certainly looks like the Vikings could go .500 to close the season, which most likely puts them in the playoffs.

Are you predicting then that the Vikings will do worse than that?
sMiles
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » October 28th, 2009, 9:36 am

Miles wrote: Favre did mistakes, but I hardly think this mistakes represent the beginning of the end for Favre or the Vikings. I need to see a bit more evidence before I'm ready to start blasting the guy.

Look, I loathe the way he's handled his so-called retirement, and I don't think he has what it takes to lead the Vikings to the Superbowl, but I do think your posts go a bit overboard in their attacks. Is the guy a supreme douchebag prima donna? Totally. But he's also completing 68.9% of his passes which puts him third behind P. Manning and Roethlisberger, he's number 8 in total yards with 1681 and he averages 240.1 yards/game and leaves last week with a 102.2 passer rating.

Favre goes back home to Green Bay, then he has a bye week to recover before facing a balanced schedule: three teams with losing records, three teams with winning records, and the Bears at 3-3. The schedule is hardly a cake walk, but it certainly looks like the Vikings could go .500 to close the season, which most likely puts them in the playoffs.

Are you predicting then that the Vikings will do worse than that?
I think the Vikings finish 9-7 or 10-6. The latter will probably put them in the playoffs, although if the NFC East gets three teams (possible), 10-6 might not get a team in. 9-7 will not get them in.

Let's not forget, after week 12 last season the Jets were 8-3, in first place in their division, and Favre was the league MVP. The Jets finished 9-7, and in that final five game span, Favre threw 2 tds and 9 ints (in losses to the lowly Seahawks, 49ers, and Broncos) . He is a guy who is not that far removed from a 29 interception season, and, I believe, he owns the career record for picks thrown.

Look, I'll concede Favre can take what defenses give him and exploit underneath passes when a defense chooses not to protect against that. But, every starting QB in the NFL should be able to take what defenses give them. Jason Campbell's problem is that he does that exclusively. I just don't thin Favre can win a game when it's all on him (and I don't mean isolated plays, like the last play against SF; they got good running from Peterson that day to help move the offense).

A final example of Favre struggling to make big plays (perhaps even more indicative than his turnovers) was the 4 plays from the Steelers 1 in the late 3rd quarter. The Vikings inexplicably chose to run Peterson once and have Favre throw three times. The Vikings walked away with 3 points.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 1st, 2009, 7:01 am

I can say with great confidence that the Tampa Bay Bucs will NOT lose today :D
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 1st, 2009, 7:03 am

windsor wrote:I can say with great confidence that the Tampa Bay Bucs will NOT lose today :D
I can say with great confidence that Delhomme will suck today.
Miles

Post by Miles » November 1st, 2009, 11:58 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
windsor wrote:I can say with great confidence that the Tampa Bay Bucs will NOT lose today :D
Not as bad as Kurt Warner sucked today. Sweet revenge, sort of.
sMiles
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » November 2nd, 2009, 6:33 am

Whew!! You can take this prediction to the bank! :D
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 2nd, 2009, 7:35 am

He had 2 things in his favor...they didn't let him throw much, and he went out with an injury.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » November 2nd, 2009, 8:06 am

I saw a sign in Lambeau yesterday that is in my list of top fan signs at a sporting event ever:

Hey Brett, Halloween is over. Take off that silly purple costume.

=)) =)) =)) =))
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 2nd, 2009, 8:24 am

windsor wrote:I saw a sign in Lambeau yesterday that is in my list of top fan signs at a sporting event ever:

=)) =)) =)) =))
I didn't get to watch the game due to being in Panthers market..but the favorite sign I read about was...
"We'll never forget you, Brent". =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » November 2nd, 2009, 8:32 am

windsor wrote:I saw a sign in Lambeau yesterday that is in my list of top fan signs at a sporting event ever:

=)) =)) =)) =))
I didn't get to watch the game due to being in Panthers market..but the favorite sign I read about was...
"We'll never forget you, Brent". =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
To both of you for noting/posting those:

:)) :))
=)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 8th, 2009, 4:08 pm

Nice start for the Panthers, 66 yard run for TD! Expect to see lots of running today.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » November 8th, 2009, 7:48 pm

I was watching the SD-Giants game here with my FIL who is a Giants fan. What a SWEET ending as Philip Rivers leads the Chargers from 6 down with 2 minutes to go to go up by one with 20 seconds left.

Now the IGGLES just need to complete the night!
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2009, 9:09 pm

The Steelers are my last hope to escape from a disastrous football weekend.
Turk

Post by Turk » November 9th, 2009, 10:32 pm

Wonder if RockyMtn is at the game...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » November 9th, 2009, 10:34 pm

Hope is drinking a good beer to cry into.
Turk

Post by Turk » November 9th, 2009, 11:31 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hope is drinking a good beer to cry into.
Nope, he's a Steeler fan... He should be pretty happy...
"The idea is that you are better today than you were yesterday."
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » November 9th, 2009, 11:36 pm

There seem to be a lot of Steeler fans at Mile High tonight. This game makes me smile - I always like a Steeler victory and combining that with a Broncos loss is like the cherry on top.
Life is good!