2015 Recruiting

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: 2015 Recruiting

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 15th, 2014, 1:32 pm

The Football Fan wrote:Yeah, I'm getting rather frustrated with the conclusion of the 2014 recruiting.... it doesn't look like we'll get Hines or Frasier either.

No one will say it, but I think the egg we laid on national TV hurt us.
Hines will announce this Friday.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » December 15th, 2014, 5:22 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hines will announce this Friday.
Fingers crossed! We could really use this guy.
The Football Fan wrote:No one will say it, but I think the egg we laid on national TV hurt us.
I'm not going to get too excited about the beatdown Carolina laid on us but I'll meet you halfway, it certainly didn't help us especially with any player who might be sitting on the fence. :twocents:

This last statement belongs in the 2016 thread but what the hell, OG Sean Pollard will also announce on Friday. Pollard is a highly rated in-state player from Pinecrest HS.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 15th, 2014, 5:26 pm

Bob Green wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:Hines will announce this Friday.
Fingers crossed! We could really use this guy.
The Football Fan wrote:No one will say it, but I think the egg we laid on national TV hurt us.
I'm not going to get too excited about the beatdown Carolina laid on us but I'll meet you halfway, it certainly didn't help us especially with any player who might be sitting on the fence. :twocents:
A solid game (not necessarily a victory) against #15 ASU can go a long way towards infusing respect in the young minds of recruits. A victory of course would be more welcome.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 18th, 2014, 6:34 am

It appears we've lost another recruit. Reports are out there saying Duke and DePriest Turner have parted ways. Turner is a very successful high school QB from Alabama who Duke recruited as a wide receiver. He recently took a visit to California and raved about the experience to the point Coach Cutcliffe pulled his scholarship offer. All this is from TDD message board and unconfirmed.

A quick Google search finds 247Sports is reporting the parting of the ways:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-and ... hc_default
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » December 18th, 2014, 8:02 am

Bob Green wrote:It appears we've lost another recruit. Reports are out there saying Duke and DePriest Turner have parted ways. Turner is a very successful high school QB from Alabama who Duke recruited as a wide receiver. He recently took a visit to California and raved about the experience to the point Coach Cutcliffe pulled his scholarship offer. All this is from TDD message board and unconfirmed.

A quick Google search finds 247Sports is reporting the parting of the ways:

http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-and ... hc_default
I think I've read Cutcliffe saying before that a verbal commitment IS a commitment, and if he suspects otherwise, he'd revoke the privilege of going to Duke. Nice to see him stick by his words.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 19th, 2014, 3:32 pm

As expected, Nyheim Hines has announced NC State as his college destination.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » December 28th, 2014, 10:17 pm

The N&O says Florida QB Jeff Driskel has an interest in being a graduate transfer to Duke.

I just saw on FB that something called "college spun" says The Ohio State QB Braxton Miller also has an interest in being a graduate transfer to Duke. If you recall, he was the starter this year, who basically missed the entire season due to injury.

Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't link to the article. :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » December 28th, 2014, 11:09 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:The N&O says Florida QB Jeff Driskel has an interest in being a graduate transfer to Duke.

I just saw on FB that something called "college spun" says The Ohio State QB Braxton Miller also has an interest in being a graduate transfer to Duke. If you recall, he was the starter this year, who basically missed the entire season due to injury.

Unfortunately I'm on my phone and can't link to the article. :9f:
Here's one mention of the possible transfer from tOSU:
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/Duke-spr ... r-34184510 ;;)
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 29th, 2014, 11:41 am

It would be great to have a QB transfer to Duke!!!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 29th, 2014, 4:55 pm

Practiced commenced today for the Army All American Bowl in San Antonio. Future Blue Devils WR T.J. Rahming and LB Ben Humphreys are participating. Rahming is a fast, talented guy but he is 5'9" 150 (actually I read today he weighed in under 150). Humphreys is a guy who could be an impact player as a true freshman at a position of need - linebacker. He is 4* on Scout and ESPN. We need someone to step up and play next to Kelby Brown. It appeared to me Chris Holmes and Zavier Carmichael saw diminished playing time the last few games. Carmichael did play on the kick-off coverage team.

The Army All American Bowl is on Saturday at 1 pm Eastern. TV coverage is NBC.

http://www.usarmyallamericanbowl.com/
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 30th, 2014, 7:26 am

More on T.J. Rahming:

http://duke.scout.com/story/1496820-usa ... five?s=167

Rahming seems like an amazing talent with the good (great?) news being the 2015 class contains two receivers ranked/graded higher than him: Flynn Nagel and Keyston Fuller.
wolfpackdevil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by wolfpackdevil » December 30th, 2014, 2:47 pm

I'm hearing that Duke is close to landing a transfer from Tennessee. Daniel Helm, a 6'4/240 TE, announced that he was transferring from Tennessee a few weeks ago. Helm was a 4-star recruit out of high school and had offers from Michigan, Mississippi State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Arkansas, Virginia Tech, and others. He just finished his true Freshman year where he played in every game and had six receptions. He would have to sit out the 2015 season, but would be ready to play in 2016.

This would be a HUGE pickup, since we will be losing Braxton Deaver and Darrell Reaves after next season.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 31st, 2014, 11:37 am

wolfpackdevil wrote:I'm hearing that Duke is close to landing a transfer from Tennessee. Daniel Helm, a 6'4/240 TE, announced that he was transferring from Tennessee a few weeks ago.
According to what I'm reading on TDD, from Duke and UT posters, this is a done deal. Helm will be enrolling at Duke. A huge deal for 2016.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » December 31st, 2014, 12:12 pm

Any recruiting going on for Ed McCaffrey's two younger sons?
Max is receiver at Duke!!!! But Christian, true freshman at Stanford....... looks like the real deal, like his Daddy!!!! Had a huge huge game last night vs Maryland. Espn saying, Christian will be a Heisman potential! The kid was awesome!!!!

Younger sons, Dylan is a QB at Valor Christian (2017).... he is only a high school soph. And the youngest son is in 8th grade.

Great Gene Pool of athletes in that family!!!!

Espn said last night that Christian could fill several positions on the Football Field. What an awesome athlete! He could out run those Twerps also! Great Bowl win for Stanford!!!!

Not 2015 recruiting for 2015 team............ but those McCaffrey boys should be on Cut's list!!!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » December 31st, 2014, 6:57 pm

Another Tennessee transfer to keep your eye on is running back Derrell Scott:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/footb ... rell-scott

Some chatter indicates ECU might have the inside track. Like Helm, Scott will have to sit out 2015.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » January 1st, 2015, 8:16 am

Bob Green wrote:
wolfpackdevil wrote:I'm hearing that Duke is close to landing a transfer from Tennessee. Daniel Helm, a 6'4/240 TE, announced that he was transferring from Tennessee a few weeks ago.
According to what I'm reading on TDD, from Duke and UT posters, this is a done deal. Helm will be enrolling at Duke. A huge deal for 2016.
To support Bob's post, in January, 2014, Helm was listed as 4* recruit and the #2 TE prospect in the nation for this class. This is quite the "get" for Cut.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 2nd, 2015, 1:43 pm

Great on the transfers!!!
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 2nd, 2015, 5:40 pm

In State QB Daniel Jones will pay his own way in 2015 and be placed on scholarship starting in 2016:

http://duke.scout.com/story/1498006-in- ... hirt?s=167

He has good size at 6'4" 200.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 3rd, 2015, 3:52 pm

T.J. Rahming with two touchdown receptions in the Army All American Bowl and Ben Humphreys with a Pick 6.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » January 4th, 2015, 6:52 am

Bob Green wrote:T.J. Rahming with two touchdown receptions in the Army All American Bowl and Ben Humphreys with a Pick 6.
Correction - one of Rahming's TDs was on a run (end around).

Per Olympic Fan on DBR, who had a long talk with a football staffer, Coach Cutcliffe is not looking to bring in a transfer QB. He believes some combo of Sirk, Boehme and Pierre will work.