Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: Life is good.

Post by wilson » August 4th, 2009, 11:26 am

DukePA wrote:
wilson wrote:
DukePA wrote:And, I still can't believe I live on an island!!! All are welcome to visit!!

GTHC, GTH!!!
Be careful with offers like that. I've been known to take people up on them.
Please do! We have lots of room and love it when people visit. We're renting a 4 bedroom house so that we can easily accomodate guests. And to entice you guys: we're 2 houses from the sound, 1 1/2 blocks from the beach, have 6 decks, a screened porch, hot tub, 2 kayaks, and an outdoor fire bowl. We're working on getting a garage fridge and portable Tiki bar and plan to begin brewing beer this Fall. Party!
Oh. My. Gawd. I seriously might be adding you to my post-comps road trip (contrary to popular belief, the beach is still awesome in December).
Devil in the Blue Dress
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 5th, 2009, 8:56 am

Today is my mom's 89th. birthday! :ymapplause: She continues to drive her car and lives independently. While I can see some decline in various ways, she's still a great companion who delights in all sorts of things about her family... particularly her five great grandchildren. We're going to do a few things she especially likes this month to celebrate... several day trips and meals at favorite restaurants.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 5th, 2009, 9:00 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Today is my mom's 89th. birthday! :ymapplause: She continues to drive her car and lives independently. While I can see some decline in various ways, she's still a great companion who delights in all sorts of things about her family... particularly her five great grandchildren. We're going to do a few things she especially likes this month to celebrate... several day trips and meals at favorite restaurants.
Sounds like a great plan, and a happy merry to her from me. :ymparty:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 5th, 2009, 9:05 am

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:Today is my mom's 89th. birthday! :ymapplause: She continues to drive her car and lives independently. While I can see some decline in various ways, she's still a great companion who delights in all sorts of things about her family... particularly her five great grandchildren. We're going to do a few things she especially likes this month to celebrate... several day trips and meals at favorite restaurants.
Happy Birthday to Devil in the Blue Dress's mum!!
I worship the Blue Devil!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » August 5th, 2009, 9:12 am

Happy Birthday to your Mom! That's a great story. :-)
sMiles
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2009, 9:14 am

We ate dinner with my Dad with several of his friends at his favorite Chinese restaurant on his 89th birthday this year. Then we went out dancing to a Dixieland jazz band for a couple hours after that. He musta danced with about 1/2 the ladies in the joint that night (after taking a Celebrex)and talked about it for weeks afterward. That was about 2 weeks after I had taken him to see the Glenn Miller Orchestra in Greensboro as a birthday present. Enjoy your time with her. You may not get many more birthdays with her. :( and :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 5th, 2009, 9:27 am

Happiest of birthdays to DITBD mom!!!!!!!
:-bd **== :ymhug: :ymparty: Bless your heart! Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
cl15876

Post by cl15876 » August 5th, 2009, 9:48 am

Enjoy!!! Happy Birthday to your Mom! :ymparty: :ymparty: :ymparty:
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2009, 12:27 pm

Happy Birthday to DevilInTheBlueDress's mom!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » August 5th, 2009, 4:37 pm

We're back from a jaunt to Greensboro. My mom roamed around the cheap book tables at Garden Ridge until time for lunch..... Stamey's chopped sandwich followed by peach cobbler. I'm on a brief break before my brother take us all out for supper..... hot dogs at one of Mom's favorite places.

Thank you for all the well wishes! I agree with you DevilDeac..... it's important to enjoy our parents while they're here!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 5th, 2009, 4:40 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:We're back from a jaunt to Greensboro. My mom roamed around the cheap book tables at Garden Ridge until time for lunch..... Stamey's chopped sandwich followed by peach cobbler. I'm on a brief break before my brother take us all out for supper..... hot dogs at one of Mom's favorite places.

Thank you for all the well wishes! I agree with you DevilDeac..... it's important to enjoy our parents while they're here!
I went to Stamey's directly after a trip to the Guilford Courthouse National Military Park. We went with a professor of mine from ECU who is a military and nautical historian, and particularly an expert on the southern campaign of the American Revolution. It was the best field trip I've ever been on, followed by a meal as massive as it was delicious. :D
Enjoy the day with your family, DitBD! These are the things that speak most directly to me when I think of how "life is good."
DukePA

Post by DukePA » August 5th, 2009, 4:42 pm

Happy, happy birthday DithBD's MOM!!!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 5th, 2009, 4:45 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:We're back from a jaunt to Greensboro. My mom roamed around the cheap book tables at Garden Ridge until time for lunch..... Stamey's chopped sandwich followed by peach cobbler. I'm on a brief break before my brother take us all out for supper..... hot dogs at one of Mom's favorite places.

Happy birthday to your mom. I especially like your plans to celebrate all month!

I'm with DD - enjoy every minute you can - they end all too soon. Best thing we did was take Dad on vacation back to his home town around the time of his 82nd birthday. He got to show some of his grandkids around his old stomping grounds. He passed away 3 months later - but absolutely no regrets on the things we did and decisions made. He had a great life and left us with many wonderful memories.
Life is good!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » August 5th, 2009, 5:24 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:

Happy birthday to your mom. I especially like your plans to celebrate all month!

I'm with DD - enjoy every minute you can - they end all too soon. Best thing we did was take Dad on vacation back to his home town around the time of his 82nd birthday. He got to show some of his grandkids around his old stomping grounds. He passed away 3 months later - but absolutely no regrets on the things we did and decisions made. He had a great life and left us with many wonderful memories.
My Dad died about 4-6 weeks after the Glenn Miller Orchestra show and the night of dancing with the dixieland jazz band. Great memories from a sad time.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » August 5th, 2009, 6:16 pm

I think maybe I'M the parent meant to be enjoyed while I'm here!!!!! :-s When is that supposed to happen?
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » August 5th, 2009, 6:28 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I think maybe I'M the parent meant to be enjoyed while I'm here!!!!! :-s When is that supposed to happen?
Love, Ima
We all get it. It just comes in different ways.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » August 5th, 2009, 6:32 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I think maybe I'M the parent meant to be enjoyed while I'm here!!!!! :-s When is that supposed to happen?
Love, Ima
I'm not one of your kids, but I'm certainly enjoying your presence on the board. Unfortunately, things don't always work out that your kids enjoy you as a parent's work/worry never ends. Soon, Ima FacultiDaughter will be totally recovered and she will get to enjoy the goods times with you.

Hang in there, Ima. Bless your heart,

Hugs, :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
DukieInKansas
Life is good!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » August 5th, 2009, 8:34 pm

Love, Ima
You're not my mom, but I love you and enjoy having you around here!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » August 5th, 2009, 9:49 pm

Today life wasn't very good, but then it wasn't bad either.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » August 6th, 2009, 2:46 am

CathyCA wrote:
Love, Ima
You're not my mom, but I love you and enjoy having you around here!
Cathy took the words out of my keyboard! Ima, if I could, I'd take you out for lunch any day of the week! :)