Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: Soccer, footie, football, futbol

Post by Rolvix » August 16th, 2009, 10:27 am

Lavabe wrote:As a Liverpool fan, I have to say, this was an UGLY game (and a beautiful one as well):

Opening game: Everton 1 - Arsenal 6.

That's right, 6! It was 0-3 at the half. Goodison Park emptied out quickly. :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil: :ymdevil:
Woohoo! :D :D
Let's go Gunners!
Class of 2014
Ben63
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Ben63 » August 16th, 2009, 8:11 pm

So I know Lavabe was thrilled with today's result at White Hart Lane. ;)
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2009, 5:40 am

Ben63 wrote:So I know Lavabe was thrilled with today's result at White Hart Lane. ;)
Oy. :@) %-( ^#(^ ^#(^ ~x(
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 17th, 2009, 5:54 am

Ben63 wrote:So I know Lavabe was thrilled with today's result at White Hart Lane. ;)
I'm hosed this week in the Fantasy League. There are like 4 or 5 postponements, INCLUDING ARSENAL. That has just ruined me at Goalkeep, defense, and midfield. And my ManCity & Fulham picks are worthless, as they also are postponed.

UGH!!
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 10:57 am

Week 3 picks are due.

I've been burning the transfer market lately. I managed to swing a coup, getting El Nino to join Robbie Keane on my front line. I DID have to get rid of Benayoun.

Now if there's just some way I could get Gerrard in my midfield!

Liverpool scores 4! ManU LOSES. Spurs on fire.
Cheers,
Lavabe
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » August 20th, 2009, 11:24 am

The bid committee for the US' proposal to host the 2018 or 2022 World Cup has made its first round of cuts for potential host cities, and Atlanta made the cut:
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-makes ... 19523.html
Consider me pumped. The World Cup is on my very short list of sporting events I want to see live. Nevermind that we're talking about a WC that will be played 9-13 years from now... :-?? 8-|
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 12:49 pm

Lavabe wrote:Week 3 picks are due.

I've been burning the transfer market lately. I managed to swing a coup, getting El Nino to join Robbie Keane on my front line. I DID have to get rid of Benayoun.

Now if there's just some way I could get Gerrard in my midfield!

Liverpool scores 4! ManU LOSES. Spurs on fire.
Cheers,
Lavabe
My team is doing terrible. But then again, I've never done a fantasy game before. Any tips???
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 3:15 pm

CellR wrote:My team is doing terrible. But then again, I've never done a fantasy game before. Any tips???
I've only done the NASCAR picks. This is the second league I've ever joined.

I think it's fair to say that you'll get a number of star players on your team, but you also have to pick people who aren't just Gunners (you only get like 3 or 4 from any one team). For me, I can understand and follow both Liverpool and Arsenal, but now I'm trying to identify folks who will score in games like Hull vs. Wolverhampton. And THAT'S tough.

Several suggestions:
1) I think the key in this league is to make sure as many of your players start as is possible. Week 2 saw almost half the fixtures postponed, which meant EVERYONE was subpar last week. I think I was minus a midfielder and a defender in my lineup.
2) Be sure to get good talent in the middle of the table group. Pick a good 2nd midfielder for Villa or Hull or the Hammers or Pompey. Make sure you have at least two of them.
3) Starters are important to have, but be prepared for injuries.
4) I fully respect the desire NOT to choose certain teams, NO MATTER WHAT. I have NO Everton and NO ManU people on my team. But you still have to know about what's going on with the middle of the table group.
5) Don't be afraid to try the transfer market, even this early.
6) ALWAYS be aware of when the next fixtures occur, and who is playing whom. Arsenal are GREAT, but I'm not picking their goalkeep the week they play ManU.

You're still doing better than all those people who have scored 0 points. You WILL catch on very quickly. The good thing about this is that you really start to follow more closely the games and the players. It's a lot of fun.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 20th, 2009, 5:33 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CellR wrote:My team is doing terrible. But then again, I've never done a fantasy game before. Any tips???
I've only done the NASCAR picks. This is the second league I've ever joined.

I think it's fair to say that you'll get a number of star players on your team, but you also have to pick people who aren't just Gunners (you only get like 3 or 4 from any one team). For me, I can understand and follow both Liverpool and Arsenal, but now I'm trying to identify folks who will score in games like Hull vs. Wolverhampton. And THAT'S tough.

Several suggestions:
1) I think the key in this league is to make sure as many of your players start as is possible. Week 2 saw almost half the fixtures postponed, which meant EVERYONE was subpar last week. I think I was minus a midfielder and a defender in my lineup.
2) Be sure to get good talent in the middle of the table group. Pick a good 2nd midfielder for Villa or Hull or the Hammers or Pompey. Make sure you have at least two of them.
3) Starters are important to have, but be prepared for injuries.
4) I fully respect the desire NOT to choose certain teams, NO MATTER WHAT. I have NO Everton and NO ManU people on my team. But you still have to know about what's going on with the middle of the table group.
5) Don't be afraid to try the transfer market, even this early.
6) ALWAYS be aware of when the next fixtures occur, and who is playing whom. Arsenal are GREAT, but I'm not picking their goalkeep the week they play ManU.

You're still doing better than all those people who have scored 0 points. You WILL catch on very quickly. The good thing about this is that you really start to follow more closely the games and the players. It's a lot of fun.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Thanks!
Yeah, I've never even glanced at the fixtures for teams like Hull and Bolton before I began playing this. I think I need to spend a little more time researching the players though.
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 20th, 2009, 5:46 pm

Look at it this way...
No one is denying Almunia is GREAT. But you're going to need a second goalkeep. And for 4 million pounds, you could get someone like Brian Jensen from Burnley. Burnley beat ManU 1-0, and Jensen blocked a PK. Let's say you chose two BIG NAME goalkeeps... I'd dump one of the two, and go for Jensen. That'll save you money for a bigger name up front.

The small teams are VITAL to success in a league like this.
Cheers,
Lavabe
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 21st, 2009, 7:56 am

ESPN2 is now covering the EPL? Saturday at 955AM, it's Wigan and ManU.

When did ESPN get rights to cover EPL? Does this mean HD?
Cheers,
Lavabe
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 21st, 2009, 10:38 am

Lavabe wrote:ESPN2 is now covering the EPL? Saturday at 955AM, it's Wigan and ManU.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Sweet!
I think I could like this change. I hate the quality of FSC... Maybe I've been spoiled after watching ESPN.
Class of 2014
Ben63

Post by Ben63 » August 21st, 2009, 12:31 pm

Lavabe wrote:ESPN2 is now covering the EPL? Saturday at 955AM, it's Wigan and ManU.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Espn bought the rights from Setanta Sports this offseason. It appears they will have a game every Saturday on the duece at 10am. They also have a Monday game this week. And yes, HD. They played Chelsea Hull last week. I am LOVING this change since Pitt doesn't have FSC and I need my footie.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 21st, 2009, 2:16 pm

The Premier League has gotten off to an interesting start...
I realize there have only been two games so far and only one for a few teams, but Man U losing to Burnley, Arsenal beating Everton 6-1, and Tottenham out of the gates fast make for an interesting beginning. Although I pull for one of the big four teams, heres to hoping for an interesting, unpredictable season. :D
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 22nd, 2009, 8:58 am

Oh yeah ...
Liverpool on the deuce Monday!!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 25th, 2009, 2:01 pm

And I was equally disgusted by yesterday's 1-3 home loss to Villa... on HD.

The call that set up the goal right before the half SUCKED.

And El Nino's yellow card didn't help me one bit.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 28th, 2009, 8:33 pm

Noooo.... Fabregas won't be able to play in tomorrows match between Arsenal and Manchester United.
Actually, on second thought, this just gives the Gunners an even better opportunity to prove their superiority! :D
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 28th, 2009, 9:11 pm

CellR wrote:Noooo.... Fabregas won't be able to play in tomorrows match between Arsenal and Manchester United.
Actually, on second thought, this just gives the Gunners an even better opportunity to prove their superiority! :D
Thanks for the tip... I'll move him off my starting lineup. Oh yeah, and now I need a new captain!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » August 28th, 2009, 10:08 pm

Lavabe wrote:
CellR wrote:Noooo.... Fabregas won't be able to play in tomorrows match between Arsenal and Manchester United.
Thanks for the tip... I'll move him off my starting lineup. Oh yeah, and now I need a new captain!
Yeah, I had to find a new one as well. ;)
Class of 2014
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » August 29th, 2009, 11:22 am

Still haven't made it to a Revs game this summer. Maybe I'll have to go to a Columbus Crew game.