Olympic Thread

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: Olympic Thread

Post by ArkieDukie » August 5th, 2012, 9:35 pm

Just watched Kerri and Misty put on a clinic against an Italian team. Wow. :-o ^:)^
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » August 6th, 2012, 8:14 am

Team Usa Mens Basketball plays Argentina, today! TEAM USA!!!! **==
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » August 6th, 2012, 9:48 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Just watched Kerri and Misty put on a clinic against an Italian team. Wow. :-o ^:)^
NBC coverage showed one of the Italians "crying" in the middle of the match.
Not sure NBC should have shown that. K&M just took over the match.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 6th, 2012, 9:53 am

Usain Bolt...
:flash: :flash:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 6th, 2012, 11:06 am

I didn't watch the medal ceremony for women's gymnastics vault. Was McKayla Mulroney as pouty during that as a picture I've seen of her?
I worship the Blue Devil!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 6th, 2012, 1:18 pm

You say pouty; I say stunned. Landing on your tush, after all that work.
Certainly no worse than a couple of RUssian gymnasts during team and all around.
But yeah, I wish they were a little Bit better sports.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » August 6th, 2012, 9:58 pm

I would like to know where Troy Dumais, the diver, has been all my life. :x

(yeah, I know, I was in high school when he was in diapers....so what)
Iron Duke #1471997.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » August 6th, 2012, 10:46 pm

TillyGalore wrote:I didn't watch the medal ceremony for women's gymnastics vault. Was McKayla Mulroney as pouty during that as a picture I've seen of her?
I read her quotes afterwards. Sounded to me like she was royally ticked at herself for falling. Said she didn't deserve the gold. Maybe that came across as pouty in the pictures?
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2012, 8:39 am

ArkieDukie wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:I didn't watch the medal ceremony for women's gymnastics vault. Was McKayla Mulroney as pouty during that as a picture I've seen of her?
I read her quotes afterwards. Sounded to me like she was royally ticked at herself for falling. Said she didn't deserve the gold. Maybe that came across as pouty in the pictures?
She sure didn't seem congratulatory to the gal who won the gold. It's one thing to be pissed at yourself, but you should be happy for the others to did well. It's called sportsmanship.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2012, 10:30 am

The US women's gymnastic team behavior during the events hasn't been great, but it hasn't been much different from some of their competitors. The announcers mentioned that the US team often did not watch thèir competitors, and that a number of competitors didn't relish their silver medals.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2012, 10:34 am

Olympic moment just occurred with Chinese hurdler, Liu. He was a favorite in Beijing, but injured out of that race.

No spoilers here. Hopefully they'll put it on tonight's program.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2012, 11:01 am

Lavabe wrote:The US women's gymnastic team behavior during the events hasn't been great, but it hasn't been much different from some of their competitors. The announcers mentioned that the US team often did not watch thèir competitors, and that a number of competitors didn't relish their silver medals.
I don't have a problem with them not watching their competitors - I don't want to see how everyone else is doing as it will make me that much more nervous. How often do we, on this board, call out our competitors for their classless behavior? And how often are we disappointed when one of our own demonstrates classless behavior. This is what bothers me about McKayla's reaction. And, just because other competitors don't relish their silver medals, doesn't mean our ladies shouldn't. How often do we tell our kids, our we were told, if so-and-so jumped off the Brooklyn Bridge would you? Classless behavior reflects on all of us. On the flip side Jordan Weiber (in my mind I keep calling her Justin Bieber, sorry Jordan) did a fantastic job of dealing with her disappointment. She cried about, but she congratulated Gabby and Aly (maybe Jordan should go by Jordy) and moved on. Not once did she act spoiled or demonstrate any other type of unsportsmanlike conduct when she missed the all-around.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2012, 12:06 pm

Note: Jordyn Wieber.
I too wish the gymnasts had better sportsmanship. I wish they were the US Swim team. The team there was really fun to watch.

I really wish women's gymnastics had more senior team members. That 35 yr old German gymnast was a compelling story. I was pissed at watching Mustafina (spelling?) and the #2 Russian, but then remembered that they are really young. Same holds for Maroney.

Then again, I don't think what any of them did was on a par with some ACC contact athletes whom we've discussed on this board. No trash talking, no one being hit, and no fans who were Terping. And Roy wasn't there saying dadgumit! They don't award yellow cards or flagrant fouls in women's gymnastics, yet.

I wish they were all given yellow cards. ;)
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2012, 12:12 pm

Is anyone else watching weightlifting? This is fascinating!
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » August 7th, 2012, 12:17 pm

Lavabe wrote:I really wish women's gymnastics had more senior team members. That 35 yr old German gymnast was a compelling story.
When I realized that gymnast was 35, I was hoping she would medal if not get gold.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2012, 12:19 pm

US vs. Canadian women's Soccer: No comment. :-$
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 7th, 2012, 1:53 pm

Lavabe wrote:US vs. Canadian women's Soccer: No comment. :-$

That was a fucking disgrace in so many ways. That ref was completely incompetent and was rather selective in her application of the rules.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » August 7th, 2012, 3:34 pm

colchar wrote:

That was a fucking disgrace in so many ways. That ref was completely incompetent and was rather selective in her application of the rules.
Well, I guess the calls didn't go the Canadians' way?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » August 7th, 2012, 4:09 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
colchar wrote:

Well, I guess the calls didn't go the Canadians' way?
The Americans committed a handball foul that wasn't called shortly before the Canadians got screwed (see next couple of points).

The Canadian goalie was called for delaying the game for not releasing the ball within 6 seconds - a rule which is never, ever enforced (Sports Illustrated said today that they can only find one other instance in which that rule has ever been enforced in high level competition of any kind, in an EPL game, and that it was extremely controversial then because it is simply part of the game that the rule isn't called). The American goalie wasn't called for it during the game although replays show she held the ball as much as, and often more than, the Canadian goalie.

Americans awarded a free kick kick inside the box that hits a Canadian player in the arm (she did not reach out to touch the ball and was turning away from the ball when it hit her) resulting in the Americans being awarded a penalty kick on which they scored to tie the game with about ten minutes left in regulation.

After the Americans scored in extra time they celebrated for about a full minute, while time was running off the clock, and when asked to do so by the Canadian players the referee refused to ask them to get back into play nor did she call the Americans for delaying the game.

When the Canadian captain asked the ref about one of her calls (the holding the ball call, the penalty kick call, or not doing anything about the Americans delaying the game right at the end...I cannot remember which one it was) the ref just started giggling and walked away (more than one player saw this).

Even the British press, which does not have a horse in this race, has come out saying the Canadians got absolutely screwed. It was a great game but, unfortunately, the outcome was decided by the ref. I hope she at least bought the Canadians girls dinner before fucking them.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » August 7th, 2012, 6:20 pm

Dan Patrick reported that the Canadians were warned in advance not to delay the game. Ive seen no confirmation of that. Julie Foudy of ESPN reported that the world feed showed that the ref may have warned the Canadian goalkeep in advance of the call. Having said that, Foufy has never seen the call made in a game.

But otherwise, the Canadian and American press are really going at it. Colchar summed up the Canadian view. American bloggers are pissed at Canada's Tancredi stomping on Carli Lloyd's head (I've seen that headline). The video is searchable on nbc's olympic site. The stomp occurred at the 55th minute mark. And there are other claims floating around the blogosphere.

Bad calls all around. Canadians should be pissed. Likewise, The Tancredi no-red was really bad. A red card would have expelled her. For the game, Tancredi received a yellow, to go with her 7 fouls.

According to the Toronto Sun, The bigger immediate issue may be that FIFA is looking at Canadian player comments about the ref after the game. The fear is that soccer's governing body may penalize players for their comments.