Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: The Job Search Thread

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 7th, 2011, 12:25 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
When you hear from them, use this calculator to help make your decision: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx

:9f:
Having moved a lot I find such calculators interesting, usually, it is real estate that is the main driver of the cost of living differences with a minor impact from healthcare. For example, I'm paying the same for phone, cable, internet here in Cincy as in Boston. Maybe eating out for dinner varies also now that I think about it, but I don't do that a whole lot.
Yeah, dollar value menus usually run about the same everywhere... :))
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 7th, 2011, 9:43 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:
CathyCA wrote:
When you hear from them, use this calculator to help make your decision: http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/sav ... lator.aspx

:9f:
Having moved a lot I find such calculators interesting, usually, it is real estate that is the main driver of the cost of living differences with a minor impact from healthcare. For example, I'm paying the same for phone, cable, internet here in Cincy as in Boston. Maybe eating out for dinner varies also now that I think about it, but I don't do that a whole lot.
Yeah, dollar value menus usually run about the same everywhere... :))
Which reminds me: how much is the dollar menu at Wendy's in everyone's neck of the woods? I know this sounds like one of those "who is buried in Grant's tomb?" questions, but in the varnish zone the dollar menu is $1.29. Not that I ever go to Wendy's in the varnish zone. I know too many employees professionally.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 9th, 2011, 6:49 am

lawgrad91 wrote: Not that I ever go to Wendy's in the varnish zone. I know too many employees professionally.
Might one feel a measure of safety in obtaining a 'Frosty' in Ridgeway? :-?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 9th, 2011, 6:58 am

captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: Not that I ever go to Wendy's in the varnish zone. I know too many employees professionally.
Ridgeway is pretty safe. The only people I know that work there are victims.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 9th, 2011, 7:04 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
captmojo wrote:
Ridgeway is pretty safe. The only people I know that work there are victims.
#:-s :D
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 11th, 2011, 9:15 am

The application du jour: a position with the proteomics core facility at the Emory School of Medicine.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 11th, 2011, 9:51 am

ArkieDukie wrote:The application du jour: a position with the proteomics core facility at the Emory School of Medicine.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 11th, 2011, 10:33 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:The application du jour: a position with the proteomics core facility at the Emory School of Medicine.
:-? :-? :-? :-? :-? /:) :-BD
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 12th, 2011, 1:56 pm

Ran across this today and thought about all you job seekers out there:
career.gif
I'm so grateful that my own job is to stay home and vibe for everybody. This is only marginally funny!
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 12th, 2011, 1:59 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Ran across this today and thought about all you job seekers out there:
career.gif
I'm so grateful that my own job is to stay home and vibe for everybody. This is only marginally funny!
Love, Ima
Thanks, Ima! Unfortunately, the lower path looks all too familiar.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 23rd, 2011, 6:54 pm

I had a phone interview today with my target company! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

I think it went pretty well. There's apparently a phone interview with a second person; they'll get together and compare notes before deciding who to bring in for a formal, on-site interview. If I get this job, I'd be moving to the Boston area.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 23rd, 2011, 7:31 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a phone interview today with my target company! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

I think it went pretty well. There's apparently a phone interview with a second person; they'll get together and compare notes before deciding who to bring in for a formal, on-site interview. If I get this job, I'd be moving to the Boston area.
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 23rd, 2011, 9:00 pm

:YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY:
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
And if you move to Boston, one of the side benefits is that you might actually find Billybreen. ;)
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 24th, 2011, 11:46 am

ArkieDukie wrote:I had a phone interview today with my target company! :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

How is the job search going? :ymhug:
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 25th, 2011, 2:58 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:

How is the job search going? :ymhug:
Still waiting to hear something about the phone interview. No second interview yet. :-ss

Did I happen to mention that my target company is also one that works closely with our lab? My boss gave a talk at their users' meeting earlier this month (at the conference he wouldn't let me attend). I'm hoping against hope that no one says anything to him before I can interview. :-ss :-ss
-- Albert Einstein
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 25th, 2011, 8:13 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Still waiting to hear something about the phone interview. No second interview yet. :-ss

Did I happen to mention that my target company is also one that works closely with our lab? My boss gave a talk at their users' meeting earlier this month (at the conference he wouldn't let me attend). I'm hoping against hope that no one says anything to him before I can interview. :-ss :-ss
Doesn't matter. If you told them not to contact him, they won't do so. If you told them that they may call your boss, you'll be in fine shape as well. If they talk with your boss, he'll not say anything against you; he'll do everything he can to help you. Why? If he doesn't want you, the alternative way to get rid of you is to fire you, and he has no grounds to do it.

Just my 2 cents.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » June 28th, 2011, 12:11 pm

Any job updates?
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » July 15th, 2011, 9:19 pm

Haven't heard anything since the phone interview 3 weeks ago. Not feeling optimistic. :(

I have seen an ad for a teaching position that has some potential. They want someone with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry or in a related field, and they'd like someone that can teach biochemistry. Check. The school is a well-respected private university that is located about 3 hours from where I live now, which would put me about 1.5-2 hrs from my family in NW AR. Ironically, my oldest niece is currently attending this particular university. I'm going to make some preliminary inquiries before applying to see if they will consider hiring someone above the assistant prof level with my particular professional background. I think I could be a good fit. The bad thing is that the position doesn't start until August 2012.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » July 15th, 2011, 11:53 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:I have seen an ad for a teaching position that has some potential. They want someone with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry or in a related field, and they'd like someone that can teach biochemistry. Check. The school is a well-respected private university that is located about 3 hours from where I live now, which would put me about 1.5-2 hrs from my family in NW AR. Ironically, my oldest niece is currently attending this particular university. I'm going to make some preliminary inquiries before applying to see if they will consider hiring someone above the assistant prof level with my particular professional background. I think I could be a good fit. The bad thing is that the position doesn't start until August 2012.
This sounds promising, except for the 2012 part. :wizard: :wizard: :pray: :pray:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » July 16th, 2011, 8:06 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Haven't heard anything since the phone interview 3 weeks ago. Not feeling optimistic. :(

I have seen an ad for a teaching position that has some potential. They want someone with a Ph.D. in organic chemistry or in a related field, and they'd like someone that can teach biochemistry. Check. The school is a well-respected private university that is located about 3 hours from where I live now, which would put me about 1.5-2 hrs from my family in NW AR. Ironically, my oldest niece is currently attending this particular university. I'm going to make some preliminary inquiries before applying to see if they will consider hiring someone above the assistant prof level with my particular professional background. I think I could be a good fit. The bad thing is that the position doesn't start until August 2012.
Sorry that you haven't heard anything from the phone interview.

As for the university opening, even if they offer only an assistant level position (without any room for movement into being hired as an associate), you can always negotiate to be brought up to tenure WELL in advance of the normal term.