Vibes for College Apps!

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Vibes for College Apps!

Post by CathyCA » January 28th, 2011, 11:23 pm

Native, you are so smart and talented. I am in awe. Thank you for bringing us along on your college application ride.

Whichever school you decide to attend will be lucky to have you.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Native
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by Native » March 23rd, 2011, 8:55 am

Well, it's been a while, so I figured I'd come give you guys an update!

I did win the Park Scholarship at State! I was one of 45 scholars selected out of 1,300 applications nationwide. Obviously, this is a huge honor to receive. However, I'm still waiting to hear from Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern as well. I have to notify the Park Committee by April 18th.

I didn't get any form of scholarship look from Duke, however, and Stanford doesn't give out merit-based awards.

My Duke decision comes in less than a week! I'm so nervous — and what's worse, we have an away lacrosse game that night against our cross-town rivals. Stanford comes a week from Friday when we play another one of our rivals at home!

This decision is going to be tough. My head is telling me to take the Park, but my heart is telling me to stick it out.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 23rd, 2011, 9:06 am

Native wrote:Well, it's been a while, so I figured I'd come give you guys an update!

I did win the Park Scholarship at State! I was one of 45 scholars selected out of 1,300 applications nationwide. Obviously, this is a huge honor to receive. However, I'm still waiting to hear from Duke, Stanford, and Northwestern as well. I have to notify the Park Committee by April 18th.

I didn't get any form of scholarship look from Duke, however, and Stanford doesn't give out merit-based awards.

My Duke decision comes in less than a week! I'm so nervous — and what's worse, we have an away lacrosse game that night against our cross-town rivals. Stanford comes a week from Friday when we play another one of our rivals at home!

This decision is going to be tough. My head is telling me to take the Park, but my heart is telling me to stick it out.
Native, follow your heart!

I'm sending good thoughts and prayers your way, and I can't wait to hear all of the rest of your very good news!

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 23rd, 2011, 9:06 am

Congrats on the scholarship and good luck on your decision! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 23rd, 2011, 9:08 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Congrats on the scholarship and good luck on your decision! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
What he said!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 23rd, 2011, 10:05 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Congrats on the scholarship and good luck on your decision! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
What he said and still sending vibes for you. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :duke: :duke:
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » March 23rd, 2011, 11:48 am

The Park is an amazing scholarship -- four year full ride with every single additional perk one could ever imagine -- and State has pulled out ALL the stops to get him and is still coming up with even more. They've been more than accommodating in every way. He's had access to and dinners with upper crust faculty, students and administrators in his area of interest. They've extended deadlines to accommodate him in making his decision. You name it. Hard to imagine they would offer all this and Duke doesn't give him the time of day. Stanford has even shown interest enough to get to know him. We honestly thought him to be the perfect candidate for the BN Duke, but the letters went out and nothing arrived. Not even acknowledgement for having applied. It's really hard to imagine there are that many students in NC with better resumes than his who are interested in going to Duke .... especially many with his legacy. Duke may really be missing the boat on this one unless they are not really looking for the kind of student they say they are. It would most definitely be their loss. (And I'm even allowing for my prejudice.)
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 23rd, 2011, 12:21 pm

Sending vibes your way. Good luck in your decision!!

((((((((( :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: )))))))
bluebutton

Post by bluebutton » March 23rd, 2011, 6:14 pm

FWIW--and it's not much--I was an AB Duke and my brother was a Park and I envied how he described his scholarship program. It was a far more substantive program at that time not only in what it covered financially but also in the programming it provided its scholars. After graduation he worked for 4-5 years and is now at MIT in grad school.

I think you can't go wrong either way, but I hope you don't think of the Park as a lesser scholarship.

Congratulations on the fruit of a lot of hard work. Don't know what your financial situation is but leaving college debt free was 100% awesome and let me spend a financially stress-free year teaching in Kazakhstan after college which was a great experience.

Mad vibes and prayers as you make this decision!!
:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 23rd, 2011, 6:50 pm

:wizard: :wizard: and :YMPRAY: :YMPRAY: as you make this tremendous decision!
Iron Duke #1471997.
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » March 23rd, 2011, 6:59 pm

Congrats on the Park scholarship. Sounds like you will have a very high class problem on your hands shortly!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 23rd, 2011, 7:17 pm

Congratulations on the rewards so far. Hoping for more to come.
:wizard:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 23rd, 2011, 11:10 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:The Park is an amazing scholarship -- four year full ride with every single additional perk one could ever imagine -- and State has pulled out ALL the stops to get him and is still coming up with even more. They've been more than accommodating in every way. He's had access to and dinners with upper crust faculty, students and administrators in his area of interest. They've extended deadlines to accommodate him in making his decision. You name it. Hard to imagine they would offer all this and Duke doesn't give him the time of day. Stanford has even shown interest enough to get to know him. We honestly thought him to be the perfect candidate for the BN Duke, but the letters went out and nothing arrived. Not even acknowledgement for having applied. It's really hard to imagine there are that many students in NC with better resumes than his who are interested in going to Duke .... especially many with his legacy. Duke may really be missing the boat on this one unless they are not really looking for the kind of student they say they are. It would most definitely be their loss. (And I'm even allowing for my prejudice.)
Love, Ima
Native - you might be surprised I'm going to say/recommend this, but TAKE THE MONEY (the PARK SCHOLARSHIP)!
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 24th, 2011, 12:12 pm

Do I need to call Dean CG in UGA and check the status?

Congrats on the Park scholorship!
Native

Post by Native » March 24th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Dear Michael:

Congratulations and welcome to the Class of 2015 at Northwestern University! On behalf of the Northwestern faculty, students, and alumni, it gives me great pleasure to inform you that you have been admitted to the the School of Communication.

The admission committee evaluates tens of thousands of applications each year, and your considerable academic achievements, extracurricular accomplishments, and impressive character stood out as truly exceptional. You will be joining a community that includes engaged faculty, students with diverse talents and backgrounds, and spirited alumni.

Northwestern will immerse you in an environment with limitless possibilities to learn, make a difference, and define your path for future success. We are confident you will make a significant contribution to the life of the University, both in and out of the classroom.

Over the coming weeks, I hope you have the opportunity to visit campus. Our admitted student program, Wildcat Days, will give you the opportunity to meet faculty, advisors, current students, and your future classmates. You will also have the opportunity to attend classes and tour our facilities.

Please note, our offer of admission is contingent upon the successful completion of your senior year and a review of your final transcript. In the next few days via mail, you will receive an official copy of your decision letter and materials which outline the steps you will need to take to enroll in the Class of 2015. If you plan to accept our offer of admission, we need to know by May 1.

It is our good fortune that you chose to apply to Northwestern; I look forward to welcoming you to campus next fall. The time you spend on our campus will be among the most memorable years of your life.

Sincerely,

Christopher Watson
Dean of Undergraduate Admission
Two for two! I hear from Duke this Tuesday ( :-ss ) and Stanford this Friday!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 24th, 2011, 6:26 pm

Native wrote:Two for two! I hear from Duke this Tuesday ( :-ss ) and Stanford this Friday!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
My vote, however, would be for someplace that has at least been to the NCAA Tournament in its history. ;)
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 24th, 2011, 6:51 pm

wilson wrote:
Native wrote:Two for two! I hear from Duke this Tuesday ( :-ss ) and Stanford this Friday!
:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
My vote, however, would be for someplace that has at least been to the NCAA Tournament in its history. ;)
My vote would be for some place that has at least two NCAA men's basketball championships. Four (soon to be five) would be preferable but only if they come up with considerable scholarship scratch to match the joint with two. :9f:
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » March 24th, 2011, 7:16 pm

:wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: What ever is best for you is what I hope happens. You have a lot going for yourself. I'm very proud to have met you. :duke:
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » March 24th, 2011, 7:32 pm

Congratulations, Native!!

Good luck with your apps from Stanford and Duke. And, good luck making a decision.
I worship the Blue Devil!
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 24th, 2011, 8:04 pm

Native, congratulations on your acceptance to Northwestern!

:9f:

~ James Naismith