Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

What will we call the other board?

Poll ended at June 6th, 2009, 6:20 pm

TOWEL
50%
TOBY
13%
TBTSNBN
38%

Total votes: 16
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Let's settle the name of the other board once and for all...

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2009, 11:52 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote:I have been relatively silent in all this for various reasons but will try to organize some thoughts/posts over the weekend at the coast with some free time on my fingers, err, hands.
Y'all are going to the beach AGAIN? Must be nice...
Mental/relaxation therapy. Haven't been in about a month or so.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 13th, 2009, 11:53 pm

wilson wrote: And I get that we don't "matter" in terms of ad revenue. But if DBR and its mods honestly don't think it's a problem that ~50 very active posters, with something like 125,000 collective posts under their belts, left so suddenly, well...pardon my French, but they can all kiss my ass.

I'm kind of curious how many posts we collectively did have both on the old and new boards - to say nothing of the post counts of other regular posters who left before our mass exodus.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 13th, 2009, 11:58 pm

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote: And I get that we don't "matter" in terms of ad revenue. But if DBR and its mods honestly don't think it's a problem that ~50 very active posters, with something like 125,000 collective posts under their belts, left so suddenly, well...pardon my French, but they can all kiss my ass.

I'm kind of curious how many posts we collectively did have both on the old and new boards - to say nothing of the post counts of other regular posters who left before our mass exodus.
I'll start:

about 5900 on DBR
about 400 here (so far) ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:00 am

devildeac wrote:
colchar wrote:

I'll start:

about 5900 on DBR

Since I was banned from DBR I can't access my old profile to see how many posts I had. I figure it was in the 1500-2000 range. I have almost 500 posts here and had roughly another 1500 on another board that grew out of DBR.

ETA: I just checked and I had 2,175 posts on DBR when I was banned (this does not include my totals before they migrated to the new board structure).
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 12:02 am

colchar wrote:
My above figure was the best I could do for a sort of conservative estimate. I figured 50ish posters at something like 2500 each (that's about what I have on TOWEL). Some of y'all have considerably more than I do, some less, but I think an estimated average of about 2500 is about right. Another note: I kind of include people like billybreen in the "defectors" camp, because even though he doesn't post here, I don't think he posts anymore at DBR, and he voiced lots of similar frustrations to ours before slipping away.

But the above mental calisthenics don't really mean a hill of beans to me; the substance of my beef with DBR is in my previous post in this thread. The focus on numbers is, to me, where DBR went astray and let the boards go far afield from their original aim of being like a "neighborhood bar."
Would they kick Norm out of Cheers?
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » May 14th, 2009, 12:04 am

You were officially banned colchar? Really? Permanently? What for? You don't have to answer.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 12:05 am

colchar wrote:

Since I was banned from DBR I can't access my old profile to see how many posts I had. I figure it was in the 1500-2000 range. I have almost 500 posts here and had roughly another 1500 on another board that grew out of DBR.

ETA: I just checked and I had roughly 2,175 posts on DBR when I was banned.
Well, you beat me to the count.
Out of curiosity: what other DBR spinoff board do you post on?
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 14th, 2009, 12:07 am

colchar wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I'll start:

about 5900 on DBR

Well I just posted post #3336 over there. I had a couple thousand or more on the "old" DBR boards (those were pre-PWing). So put me down for 6,000 to 7,000 total.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:07 am

wilson wrote:
My above figure was the best I could do for a sort of conservative estimate. I figured 50ish posters at something like 2500 each (that's about what I have on TOWEL). Some of y'all have considerably more than I do, some less, but I think an estimated average of about 2500 is about right. Another note: I kind of include people like billybreen in the "defectors" camp, because even though he doesn't post here, I don't think he posts anymore at DBR, and he voiced lots of similar frustrations to ours before slipping away.
Oh I knew the number you gave was just a guesstimate but it did make me wonder what the real number might be. Everyone here can see their post totals on their profile at DBR so it might be fun to waste some time adding them all up.

But the above mental calisthenics don't really mean a hill of beans to me; the substance of my beef with DBR is in my previous post in this thread. The focus on numbers is, to me, where DBR went astray and let the boards go far afield from their original aim of being like a "neighborhood bar."
Would they kick Norm out of Cheers?
I agree wholeheartedly with your beef(s) with DBR.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » May 14th, 2009, 12:08 am

I've got 1569 and counting on the DBR but I don't post there as much as here now.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:08 am

wilson wrote:

The Begging to Differ board that McGrupp set up quite a while back.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » May 14th, 2009, 12:10 am

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:

The Begging to Differ board that McGrupp set up quite a while back.
Never heard of it before now.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 12:12 am

I have 2353 DBR posts (nice number, eh, Miles? :D ), plus a good thousand on the previous iterations.
Is someone keeping a tally?
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:13 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Seriously? Or are you being facetious?
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 12:14 am

colchar wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
Seriously? Or are you being facetious?
FWIW, I've never heard of it either.
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » May 14th, 2009, 12:15 am

wilson wrote: Is someone keeping a tally?

Let the thread go a day or two and then we can tally it all up. I call 'not it' for tallying it up.
— Samuel Johnson

----------

----------
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 14th, 2009, 12:31 am

Because this thread became what it is...here's the Reader's Digest version of a private FB message I sent to a DBR mod (the one that annoyed me second most) several months back. I never received a response.

The claims that it's a "neighborhood bar" are baffling. Apparently I've only hung out at a different kind of "neighborhood bar". The bars that I frequent don't chastise you because you accidentally spilled a drink or happened to order a beer that they don't serve. At the DBR, such actions are fair game for being told what a moron you are--by a mod who apparently isn't subject to the lack of civility rules. In reality, the DBR desperately wants to be an exclusive club in which only people with the right jobs, clothes and girls on their arm get in. The problem is that it hasn't found out the best way to enforce that policy (and several moderators would fail its "basketball PhD" requirement). I suggested that the DBR require an application process to determine who is and is not worthy of posting (and who is and is not likely to--dare I say it--critique the powers that be). Posters' credentials would be reviewed by the mods prior to having an invite. And with less noise, the mods could get back to the mental masturbation that is discussing basketball as if it were an exact science (in which every answer must view Duke in a positive light or else be deemed "destructively negative"). I don't say this tongue-in-cheek. I fully believe it is the best way to achieve Duke basketball utopia sought out by the Duke Basketball Report, Limited Liability Company.

Oh yeah, I vote for calling it the DBR. That is what it is. I won't let the DBR's general counsel annoy me so much that I refuse to call it something else.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 14th, 2009, 12:53 am

2595 there, 527 here.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 14th, 2009, 12:56 am

rockymtn devil wrote: And with less noise, the mods could get back to the mental masturbation that is discussing basketball as if it were an exact science (in which every answer must view Duke in a positive light or else be deemed "destructively negative").
I LOVE that sentence.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » May 14th, 2009, 12:57 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote: And with less noise, the mods could get back to the mental masturbation that is discussing basketball as if it were an exact science (in which every answer must view Duke in a positive light or else be deemed "destructively negative").
I LOVE that sentence.
+1. Your whole post was quite well stated, rockymtn. Welcome to crazietalk, where we can goof off in peace.