Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Garden question

Post by DukeUsul » April 3rd, 2010, 7:23 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Hope this thread is active. So many questions and answers are most helpful with gardening.
Merged it with the current "gardening" thread. :D
Fracking merge-happy mods.
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Re: Gardening

Post by Miles » April 5th, 2010, 6:54 pm

Let's Go Duke!!!
sMiles
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 10th, 2010, 7:54 pm

Yay! My volunteers have started showing up. No tomatoes yet, but I do have some basil popping up from last year. I let everything go to seed last year, so my garden should be well populated with babies. I love basil. I hope I get some free eggplant soon.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 10th, 2010, 9:20 pm

This is the earliest we have ever had tomatoes. Tomorrow night, we are having BLT's. The T''s are ready. Tonight, we had cabbage with our dinner (baby back ribs). We also had corn we bought in Kenansville, that was grown there. Yum.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » June 10th, 2010, 10:02 pm

Very Duke Blue wrote:This is the earliest we have ever had tomatoes. Tomorrow night, we are having BLT's. The T''s are ready. Tonight, we had cabbage with our dinner (baby back ribs). We also had corn we bought in Kenansville, that was grown there. Yum.
Sounds yummy! =p~
Iron Duke #1471997.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 11th, 2010, 4:18 pm

Didn't get much of a garden in this year. Just herbs. Can't live without basil. Durham Farmers Market is overflowing with home grown produce, though. And what a fun way to begin a weekend on a Saturday morning. Nice folks, lots of Duke championship t-shirts and hats on the local gentry. All that and music and muffins, too!

Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » June 11th, 2010, 5:34 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Didn't get much of a garden in this year. Just herbs. Can't live without basil. Durham Farmers Market is overflowing with home grown produce, though. And what a fun way to begin a weekend on a Saturday morning. Nice folks, lots of Duke championship t-shirts and hats on the local gentry. All that and music and muffins, too!

Love, Ima
Sounds like a lot of fun there. Where is the market located?
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » June 12th, 2010, 7:19 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:
Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Didn't get much of a garden in this year. Just herbs. Can't live without basil. Durham Farmers Market is overflowing with home grown produce, though. And what a fun way to begin a weekend on a Saturday morning. Nice folks, lots of Duke championship t-shirts and hats on the local gentry. All that and music and muffins, too!

Love, Ima
Sounds like a lot of fun there. Where is the market located?
http://durhamfarmersmarket.com They are on Foster street down by the ball park. They are on facebook, too. See you there~!
Love, Ima
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 20th, 2010, 8:37 am

The squirrels are at it again. We have 70 tomato plants. The little beast are getting most of them.We saw one carry off a whole tomato. I am going to make a hot pepper brew to spray on the tomatoes. I'm also going to spray the corn that is not ready to pull. I hope this works. Anyone else have ideas?
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » July 20th, 2010, 8:46 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:The squirrels are at it again. We have 70 tomato plants. The little beast are getting most of them.We saw one carry off a whole tomato. I am going to make a hot pepper brew to spray on the tomatoes. I'm also going to spray the corn that is not ready to pull. I hope this works. Anyone else have ideas?
Squirrel stew.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 20th, 2010, 9:08 am

Very Duke Blue wrote:The squirrels are at it again. We have 70 tomato plants. The little beast are getting most of them.We saw one carry off a whole tomato. I am going to make a hot pepper brew to spray on the tomatoes. I'm also going to spray the corn that is not ready to pull. I hope this works. Anyone else have ideas?
Squirrel stew.
The way I shot my shot gun last night, the stew would be meatless. =)) =))
Miles

Post by Miles » July 20th, 2010, 9:16 am

Go buy a snake.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » July 20th, 2010, 9:39 am

Miles wrote:
Go buy a snake.
But then watch where you step! :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » July 20th, 2010, 1:20 pm

Put a little charge in a fence around your garden. Light 'em up! :idea:
Love, Ima
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 20th, 2010, 8:18 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:Put a little charge in a fence around your garden. Light 'em up! :idea:
Love, Ima
We have an electric fence around the garden with 4 lines. They can jump over or between the lines. Snake, wonder if rubber snakes would work? We haven't seen squirrels since I shot the shot gun last night. None all day long.I think I will shoot off a few shells tonight. Who knows? Maybe thats keeping them away. I didn't do the hot pepper spray because it looked like rain, which we did get some.
Very Duke Blue
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Very Duke Blue » July 20th, 2010, 8:20 pm

We put corn up today, 28 bags. :) That makes me very happy. I love silver queen corn. :)
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Woohooo!!! It's that time of year again! Since I've moved in with Julie my garden has changed tons of course, but I still love to plant and happily she does too. She enjoys flowers and herbs, and I like the veggies....although I enjoy the flowers and herbs too. In fact, I've started using some of our herbs in my cooking...what amazing things one can do with fresh herbs! Since we are still on track to put in the outdoor kitchen, my veggie space is limited, so I've started growing a bunch of stuff in pots; in fact, all our plants are in pots. If anyone is interested, I bought a great book at Books A Million creatively called "Fruit and Vegetables in Pots". Really cheap, really informative and full of photos and ideas.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... IQBEPMCMAM#
I've got 5 different kinds of tomatoes growing, including both "patio" (goliath) and regular tall ones (cherry, kumato, yellow), 2 different kinds of pole beans, 3 different kinds of peppers, and finally, patio cucumbers. We have tons of flavors of mint, basil, oregano, and thyme, plus chamomile, curry, lemon balm and cilantro.
I love this time of year!!!
FutureFood-003s.jpg
Baby grape tomato :)
FutureFood-034s.jpg
My veggies. Those are 10", 12" and 16" pots.
FutureFood-035s.jpg
Our herbs. Ultimately I'm going to enclose that with a greenhouse. 8", 10" and 12" pots on shelves we bought from Lowes.
FutureFood-036s.jpg
These are planters that we found at a local store and thought they'd look nice on our fence.
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » April 17th, 2012, 8:35 pm

I'm jealous. This looks so great! I'd love to see some pics of Bud's garden about now, too.

I've had bad luck with growing in pots. Everything seems to burn up. I think the roots have gotten too darned hot.

I hated to do it, but I had to dissuade the OP from putting in a garden at this point. He was all ready to go and I rained on his parade. We've already two huge yards in different locations to keep up with. It's nearly impossible as it is. The best I'm going to be able to do is my usual plot of herbs at the back door.

With so many farmers' markets around here, I kind of think it's probably even cheaper for us to visit those on Saturday mornings and get only what we need.

When your crops come in you should consider a weekly stand marketing veggies along with acrylics!

Love, Ima
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » April 17th, 2012, 8:55 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote: I've had bad luck with growing in pots. Everything seems to burn up. I think the roots have gotten too darned hot.
Thanks for the heads up, that's probably something to think about as the weather warms up. I bet I could rig some plywood sheets that cover the pots but leave the plants and soil exposed. :-?
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Re: Garden question

Post by YmoBeThere » April 17th, 2012, 9:21 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
Very Duke Blue wrote:Hope this thread is active. So many questions and answers are most helpful with gardening.
Merged it with the current "gardening" thread. :D
Fracking merge-happy mods.
This mod has been an extreme slacker(YmoBeThere).