Graduate Student at PWing school

Who BeDeviled the Boxscore against UNC?

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 13th, 2011, 8:50 pm

Who BeDeviled the boxscore today?
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Who BeDeviled the Boxscore against UNC?

Post by robertduke32 » March 13th, 2011, 9:49 pm

I voted for Dre. His shooting in the first half and defense - finally bringing it - was essential in putting the Tar Holes in their place from the get-go.

GTHc, GTH!!!! 2011 Champs BABY!!!

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

:9f:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 13th, 2011, 9:52 pm

I voted for Seth, mostly for the 3 right after the holes pulled to within 9. I think anyone not named NdotSmitty (Player of the Game, the Tournament, the Year) deserves a nod in the BeDeviler tonight, though. :duke: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 14th, 2011, 10:53 am

Ryan Kelly.
Coach K had a masterful decision in chooing the starters. Both Plumlees and bringing in Kelly to alternate replacement. Ryan's perfect shooting, rebounding, sensational defense on Henson/Zeller and some very smart active decision making in his first half play, set the tone for what was to come in the second, and the eventual outcome.

There was one really great play on defense that stands out brilliantly. Henson had the ball in the center of the lane and Ryan would absolutely NOT bite on either a head, ball or shot fake from him that he was trying out at either side, left or right. In order to keep from a 3-second call, he had to take an off-balance fade away that looked terrible as it clanked off the rim, short and to the left, where it was rebounded by Duke. Beautiful. This should be shown in practice and studied by the entire team.

Another smooth move from Kelly. He corralled a rebound, underneath and off the right side of the defensive board. While falling in a stutter-step that was going to take him across the baseline out of bounds, Ryan scanned the area for an outlet. Not seeing, and there not existing any teammate within reaching distance except for one (Singler), he saw that he did not have a safe angle to make that pass to Kyle. Even though Singler was only 4/5 feet away from him, he also saw a hole defender that had position to swipe a pass there. So, he simply stepped out of bounds with the ball. This play, rather than take the chance on the pass, may have deliberately given possession to the holes, but it was going to be from an in-bounding play rather than an interception that would lead to an easy lay-up. Brilliant! Again, another point for study. At times it is better to live to fight another battle.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 14th, 2011, 11:09 am

This is an incredibly tough one to decide. More than any other game this year, I wish I could make it a team award, because yesterday was the boys' best overall team performance of the season. It reminded me a lot of the way we were playing at this time last year, which we've said time and again was a great example of a tight bunch of guys functioning on a very high level as a unit.
I'm casting my vote for Seth, because I agree with others (the greatest being Coach K) that his 3-ball to push the lead from 9 back to 12 was the biggest shot of the game. He also seemed to come out of a number of scrums with key rebounds and loose balls.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 14th, 2011, 12:40 pm

captmojo wrote:Ryan Kelly.
Coach K had a masterful decision in chooing the starters. Both Plumlees and bringing in Kelly to alternate replacement. Ryan's perfect shooting, rebounding, sensational defense on Henson/Zeller and some very smart active decision making in his first half play, set the tone for what was to come in the second, and the eventual outcome.

There was one really great play on defense that stands out brilliantly. Henson had the ball in the center of the lane and Ryan would absolutely NOT bite on either a head, ball or shot fake from him that he was trying out at either side, left or right. In order to keep from a 3-second call, he had to take an off-balance fade away that looked terrible as it clanked off the rim, short and to the left, where it was rebounded by Duke. Beautiful. This should be shown in practice and studied by the entire team.

Another smooth move from Kelly. He corralled a rebound, underneath and off the right side of the defensive board. While falling in a stutter-step that was going to take him across the baseline out of bounds, Ryan scanned the area for an outlet. Not seeing, and there not existing any teammate within reaching distance except for one (Singler), he saw that he did not have a safe angle to make that pass to Kyle. Even though Singler was only 4/5 feet away from him, he also saw a hole defender that had position to swipe a pass there. So, he simply stepped out of bounds with the ball. This play, rather than take the chance on the pass, may have deliberately given possession to the holes, but it was going to be from an in-bounding play rather than an interception that would lead to an easy lay-up. Brilliant! Again, another point for study. At times it is better to live to fight another battle.
Unless this happened twice, Zeller had a big hand in making sure Kelly ended up out of bounds. It looked like Kelly was going to be able to stop, but Zeller didn't bother and 'walked' Kelly out of bounds. Otherwise, it was an incredibly smart play not to toss the ball back under the holes basket to potentially give them some free points.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 14th, 2011, 1:29 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:I voted for Seth, mostly for the 3 right after the holes pulled to within 9. I think anyone not named NdotSmitty (Player of the Game, the Tournament, the Year) deserves a nod in the BeDeviler tonight, though. :duke: :9f:

what she said. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke: :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 14th, 2011, 2:59 pm

I voted for Seth. The floor slap put him over the top:
collegebasketballacctou.jpg
TNTDevil

Post by TNTDevil » March 14th, 2011, 11:06 pm

I voted Kelly. Mostly for the reasons provided by CaptMojo. But not only is RK a cerebral player, he's also an impossible match-up for Henson (who I really like). RK's ability to pull Henzon out of the lane really helped us on the boards.
"I was gratified to be able to answer promptly. I said I don't know."- Mark Twain
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 14th, 2011, 11:18 pm

I went with Kelly too. By the way, K called his performance in the tourney the best basketball of his career. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 14th, 2011, 11:29 pm

I think I'll vote for Ryan Plumlee. Again. :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » March 15th, 2011, 3:32 am

devildeac wrote:I think I'll vote for Ryan Plumlee. Again. :D
Solid choice.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » March 15th, 2011, 3:34 am

TNTDevil wrote:I voted Kelly. Mostly for the reasons provided by CaptMojo. But not only is RK a cerebral player, he's also an impossible match-up for Henson (who I really like). RK's ability to pull Henzon out of the lane really helped us on the boards.
An even more solid choice. :D
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 15th, 2011, 9:12 am

Telling, no, that five different players have received votes for this game? Does anyone know if we've ever had the votes spread so evenly? I think it's very indicative of the masterful team performance the boys turned in on Sunday, and of the terrifically balanced game plan K and his staff had in place. Here's hoping for more of it in the next couple of weeks.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » March 15th, 2011, 1:12 pm

devildeac wrote:I think I'll vote for Ryan Plumlee. Again. :D
Shouldn't that be Ryan Plumlees?
Life is good!