NCAA Tournament Discussion

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

NCAA Tournament Discussion

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2011, 6:53 pm

I keep replaying that scene in my head of Dickie V gloating over Uncle Fester's win vs Duke..saying "congratulations my friend, you just booked your ticket".

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: NCAA Tournament Discussion

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Dick Vitale is about to cry. Literally.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 13th, 2011, 7:31 pm

I am not shocked by the lack of ACC teams. I have said since January that I really don't think more than the top 3 deserve to be there. I still don't. I think Clemson should be feeling very lucky.
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » March 13th, 2011, 8:29 pm

Carolina potentially has a very tough opponent on Sunday in Charlotte. The Washington Huskies have size, speed and very good shooters and I believe they can whip the Tar Heels. UW's style of play is similar to Duke as they like to run ball screens at the top of the key to generate penetration, and they shoot a lot of 3-pointers. On defense, their first option is tough M2M defense but they will throw a zone at opponents more often than Duke. I would be surprised if Carolina advances past Charlotte. The UW Huskies are going to take them out.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 13th, 2011, 8:48 pm

Bob Green wrote:Carolina potentially has a very tough opponent on Sunday in Charlotte. The Washington Huskies have size, speed and very good shooters and I believe they can whip the Tar Heels. UW's style of play is similar to Duke as they like to run ball screens at the top of the key to generate penetration, and they shoot a lot of 3-pointers. On defense, their first option is tough M2M defense but they will throw a zone at opponents more often than Duke. I would be surprised if Carolina advances past Charlotte. The UW Huskies are going to take them out.
Bob, I hope you are correct. IMO unc is over-seeded as a 2, but the seedings in this tourney are a little nutty all around. I agree with all the 1 seeds, but beyond that I don't know what the committee was thinking (smoking?). For example: Florida as a 2 seed and Kentucky as a 4 seed? I'm willing to admit that unc does deserve a 2 seed more than Florida does.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 13th, 2011, 8:58 pm

Here are some of my first thoughts:
*Hampton-Michigan-Arizona-UCON to get to the final four
*KU fails to make the final four
*unc-ch does not get past the S16

:9f: :9f:
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » March 13th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Here are some of my first thoughts:

Um what? :))
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 13th, 2011, 10:08 pm

robertduke32 wrote:

Um what? :))
* The first will be our path to the final four. Obviously Hampton in the first round, Michigan will beat Tennessee, Arizona in the S16 and UCON in the elite 8.
* KU will choke. Won't be in the first round and probably not the second, but I don't think they'll make it. Louisville, Purdue and ND are all more then capable of sending them home. My opinion of course.
* unc-ch will likely have to face UW in the second round, and Syracuse in the S16. UW certainly has the guard play to beat them and Syracuse's zone could eat them alive if they shoot their normal percentage from 3.

These are just my initial thoughts of course ( :twocents: ), and I reserve the rights to change my mind later on :D

:9f:
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 13th, 2011, 10:11 pm

Right now I'm thinking the Southeast is the 'leftovers' bracket.

I would love to see a Michigan State - Kansas State elite 8 matchup.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 13th, 2011, 10:24 pm

Looks like our game is at 3:00 on Friday. Holes get the 7:00 game. At least we are in different sessions.

http://www.mattsarzsports.com/basketbal ... ament.aspx

:9f: :9f: :9f:
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 14th, 2011, 11:01 am

These were also the first way I saw it, save one. Not too sure if I agree with Kansas prediction, though.
The Meeshigen/ Teyunisee game is a little worthy of question. Who ever knows about the Vols? Both of those two, playing at their best makes me lean toward Tenn.
Duke will have a harder time against Arizona that against Connecticutt.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
pamtar
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by pamtar » March 14th, 2011, 11:28 am

I think this is a good assessment. I would only argue that Kansas will make the Final Four. Too much Morris! He's 6-9, 235 and there's two of him (plus 1 inch and 10 lbs.)!! I really like Morningstar as well. Honestly, Bill Self is the only thing keeping me from liking KU as my second favorite team.

:9f:
Used to PW, got the forum VD, now no one cares what I type...
pamtar

Post by pamtar » March 14th, 2011, 11:35 am

captmojo wrote:

These were also the first way I saw it, save one. Not too sure if I agree with Kansas prediction, though.
The Meeshigen/ Teyunisee game is a little worthy of question. Who ever knows about the Vols? Both of those two, playing at their best makes me lean toward Tenn.
Duke will have a harder time against Arizona that against Connecticutt.

Yeah, Zona scares me much more than Uconn. Nolan will shut Kemba down. However, I'll feel lucky if we play Arizona...really dont think they'll make it past Texas. Id wouldnt be supprised to play Tenn, Texas, and Uconn to get to Houston. That may be the toughest road ever. Still, Baylor and WVU were scary games last year and we dominated.

I still like JesusHurley's picks tho, perfectly outside the box!
Used to PW, got the forum VD, now no one cares what I type...
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 14th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Texas has had their issues this season, but they have played incredible this year. They're BIG down low and athletic. They scare me.

UConn doesn't have the juice. I take you back to Syracuse after they won the Big ESPNeast with McNamara, going 4 games in 4 days. They were gassed....

Arizona does worry me, but not too much. Our guards are much better, especially if a certain player comes out of the locker room dressed in a uniform.

San Diego St. doesn't scare me at all. I don't think they'll make it out of the 2nd round.

And why the hell is Tennessee supposedly going to give Duke a scare? What the hell have they done this year to warrant inclusion in our stratosphere? I know they're "athletic", etc. but they've lost a ton of games, have the usual Tennessee attitude issues, etc.

I think our biggest test will be Texas if we see them. Outside of that, on to Houston!!

:duke: :clap:
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 15th, 2011, 12:21 am

robertduke32 wrote:Texas has had their issues this season, but they have played incredible this year. They're BIG down low and athletic. They scare me.

UConn doesn't have the juice. I take you back to Syracuse after they won the Big ESPNeast with McNamara, going 4 games in 4 days. They were gassed....

Arizona does worry me, but not too much. Our guards are much better, especially if a certain player comes out of the locker room dressed in a uniform.

San Diego St. doesn't scare me at all. I don't think they'll make it out of the 2nd round.

And why the hell is Tennessee supposedly going to give Duke a scare? What the hell have they done this year to warrant inclusion in our stratosphere? I know they're "athletic", etc. but they've lost a ton of games, have the usual Tennessee attitude issues, etc.

I think our biggest test will be Texas if we see them. Outside of that, on to Houston!!

:duke: :clap:
Bruce Pearl shirtless and painted orange scares the shit out of me.

:9f: :9f: :9f:
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 15th, 2011, 4:54 am

I'm just flabbergasted at some of the stuff people think about us that's just flat wrong. Skip Bayless went off saying that two Big East teams deserved 1 seeds over us because they had "SUCH better records against top 50 and 100 teams just from being in the Big East". I looked at the stats:

Duke:
Top 100: 14-3
Top 50: 8-2
24th SOS

Pitt:
Top 100: 13-3
Top 50: 8-3
32nd SOS

Notre Dame:
Top 100: 13-5
Top 50: 10-5
25th SOS

Kansas:
Top 100: 16-2
Top 50: 6-2
10th SOS

OSU:
Top 100: 15-2
26th SOS

So the only one of those teams with more wins against the top 50 is Notre Dame, but they have 3 more losses to go with 2 more wins. Kansas and OSU have more wins against the top 100 by a smudge, but fewer against the top 50. We also have the best SOS outside of Kansas. If you want to say that two Big East teams deserved top seeds over us, fine, but at least get your facts straight, Skip.

The irony to me is that Jimmy King picked Duke to go to the Final Four and picked Nolan Smith as the best of Jimmer Ferdette, Kemba Walker, and Nolan Smith, as well as saying he'd be the best in the NBA of the three. After everything he said about Duke and the "Uncle Toms" (I know, C Webb said that...but JK was supporting him), that just seemed odd to me. The "panel", including JK, Skip Bayless, and Mateen Cleaves, also said that Duke would never recruit a team like the Fab 5. Uh, yea, cause we don't want them all going one and done and leaving us in the lurch. And less the panel forget, Duke went after Chris Webber (thank God we didn't get him after all the sanctions!), and we did have a similar class in the Elton Brand, William Avery, Chris Burgess, Nate James, and Shane Battier. Three of those guys left after their sophomore year, and lest we forget, Corey Maggette came and went the same year. I'd say that in terms of talent and craziness, Elton Brand, William Avery, Chris Burgess, Corey Maggette, and Nate James (I know he didn't leave, but man was he intense...and I needed a 5th) could probably hold their own against the Fab 5.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 15th, 2011, 9:12 am

bjornolf wrote:I'm just flabbergasted at some of the stuff people think about us that's just flat wrong. Skip Bayless went off saying that two Big East teams deserved 1 seeds over us because they had "SUCH better records against top 50 and 100 teams just from being in the Big East". I looked at the stats:

Duke:
Top 100: 14-3
Top 50: 8-2
24th SOS

Pitt:
Top 100: 13-3
Top 50: 8-3
32nd SOS

Notre Dame:
Top 100: 13-5
Top 50: 10-5
25th SOS

Kansas:
Top 100: 16-2
10th SOS

OSU:
Top 100: 15-2
26th SOS

So the only one of those teams with more wins against the top 50 is Notre Dame, but they have 3 more losses to go with 2 more wins. Kansas and OSU have more wins against the top 100 by a smudge, but fewer against the top 50. We also have the best SOS outside of Kansas. If you want to say that two Big East teams deserved top seeds over us, fine, but at least get your facts straight, Skip.

The irony to me is that Jimmy King picked Duke to go to the Final Four and picked Nolan Smith as the best of Jimmer Ferdette, Kemba Walker, and Nolan Smith, as well as saying he'd be the best in the NBA of the three. After everything he said about Duke and the "Uncle Toms" (I know, C Webb said that...but JK was supporting him), that just seemed odd to me. The "panel", including JK, Skip Bayless, and Mateen Cleaves, also said that Duke would never recruit a team like the Fab 5. Uh, yea, cause we don't want them all going one and done and leaving us in the lurch. And less the panel forget, Duke went after Chris Webber (thank God we didn't get him after all the sanctions!), and we did have a similar class in the Elton Brand, William Avery, Chris Burgess, Nate James, and Shane Battier. Three of those guys left after their sophomore year, and lest we forget, Corey Maggette came and went the same year. I'd say that in terms of talent and craziness, Elton Brand, William Avery, Chris Burgess, Corey Maggette, and Nate James (I know he didn't leave, but man was he intense...and I needed a 5th) could probably hold their own against the Fab 5.

@};-
Don't let facts get in the way of some good old fashioned Duke hate. :D
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 15th, 2011, 10:55 am

Even mouth breathers don't want unc-ch to win

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/voices/blogpost/9266815/

"I hope they win it all. I mean, I’m a UNC fan but my brother plays for Notre Dame so that’s who I’m pulling for this year," said Hansbrough after the game. "It might piss a lot of people off, but, you know, that’s the way it is.”

captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 15th, 2011, 12:01 pm

Skip Bayless was playing up to his table mates that include his co-host, also a Meeshagin alum.

Yes, the Duke hate abounds. :ymdevil:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
robertduke32

Post by robertduke32 » March 15th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Let it flow...every time the Drab 5 played against those "uncle toms" we whipped their asses. They can suck it!

I remember Hurley stating that NOBODY dance on our court in 1993...awesomeness.