LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by CathyCA » June 12th, 2009, 2:40 pm

Bostondevil wrote:The PhDs get to wear the really fancy robes. When we still lived in Cambridge, I'd love to see all the faculty in their wide range of colorful robes on graduation day. (Faculty wear the robes of the school that granted them their PhD degree.)

Sticking my toe into dangerous territory, I just started a thread on the PPB. I got mad about something and stated my opinion. :-s
OMG--I just went over to the PPB to look, and I posted twice. I rarely post on the PPB.

I hope I don't regret doing that.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 12th, 2009, 2:42 pm

I have 900 posts over at the other place.

I have 392 here.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 12th, 2009, 3:44 pm

Sue71 wrote: I said that I'd go back just to get a Doctorate JUST for the robe/hood/cap. They were AWESOME beyond belief.
So where are YOU in your progress? :ymhug: I know of a leather outfit that looks great on YOU! :D Multi-colored to boot (hopefully not in my dar-E-Errr!) that was french for ALL those who didn't have a foreign language! :D
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 12th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Sue71 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
The robes aren't too fancy. The hoods are. Having said that, I need to get the forest green & black anniversary gowns from my PhD institute; sure beats wearing the same black every year.
I disagree. I think it depends on the institution. I remember when I was graduating from NYU, I said that I'd go back just to get a Doctorate JUST for the robe/hood/cap. They were AWESOME beyond belief.
I kind of want to finish during winter, just so I can get hammered in my robe immediately after they give it to me. I'm the kind of guy who, if I ever acceded to the throne, would insist that they get the crown jewels out of that damn case, and I'd wear those motherfuckers every day, while gesticulating with my scepter.
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 6:23 pm

:(|) I think I use too many smilies in my posts... :| /:)
:ymhiro: :ymbilly: o-+ :ar!
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 12th, 2009, 6:42 pm

CellR wrote:So I was at graduation practice this morning (being a marshal), and the assistant principal forgot for a moment which side of your head the tassel is supposed to be on, and which side you change it to after you graduate... What exactly does this signify anyways? A new start?

I'm tempted to wear one of those skinny camel packs under my jacket tomorrow, because it got really hot this morning. #:-s
My mom told me that when she was in school back in the day at a catholic nun institution, they had to all attend graduation each year. They started with the tassel in one quadrant as freshmen. The next year, they wore them in the next quadrant as sophomores. Then the next as juniors. And as seniors, they flipped them back to the freshman quadrant as they received their diploma. So, for them anyway, each of the sides of the mortar board had a significance.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 6:46 pm

bjornolf wrote:My mom told me that when she was in school back in the day at a catholic nun institution, they had to all attend graduation each year. They started with the tassel in one quadrant as freshmen. The next year, they wore them in the next quadrant as sophomores. Then the next as juniors. And as seniors, they flipped them back to the freshman quadrant as they received their diploma. So, for them anyway, each of the sides of the mortar board had a significance.

%%-
That's interesting. I would get bored of attending graduation by my senior year.
Class of 2014
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 12th, 2009, 9:26 pm

Woohoo! I just got my first Bingo in Scrabble. Thanks, Shamm! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 12:17 am

CellR wrote::(|) I think I use too many smilies in my posts... :| /:)
:ymhiro: :ymbilly: o-+ :ar!
No such rule/problem/restriction:

:D :) ;) :( :o :shock: :? 8-) :lol: :?: :!: :roll: :twisted: :evil: :cry: :oops: :P :x :idea: :arrow: :| :mrgreen: :geek: :ugeek: :) :( :ymblushing: :x :-\ :ymhug: ;;) :D ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 12:18 am

CathyCA wrote:I have 900 posts over at the other place.

I have 392 here.
I have...

Oh, never mind... :oops: ;)
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 13th, 2009, 10:07 am

It's so hot outside...

EDIT: Better than cold, I guess.
Class of 2014
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 13th, 2009, 11:21 am

CellR wrote:It's so hot outside...

EDIT: Better than cold, I guess.
Its a beautiful 71F out just north of Boston
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 13th, 2009, 4:39 pm

It's been a rainy day in PA - but didn't rain for our morning walk.

Nephew Alex is now a high school graduate. They give out various scholarships during graduation at his school. He received 3 scholarships last night. He had already received 2 prior to the graduation ceremony. I'm very proud of him.
Life is good!
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 13th, 2009, 4:40 pm

I think I should put an asterisk with my name - DukieInKansas* (* currently in PA).
Life is good!
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » June 13th, 2009, 4:59 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:It's been a rainy day in PA - but didn't rain for our morning walk.

Nephew Alex is now a high school graduate. They give out various scholarships during graduation at his school. He received 3 scholarships last night. He had already received 2 prior to the graduation ceremony. I'm very proud of him.
High fives to Alex!!! Way to Go!!!
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 13th, 2009, 6:52 pm

Congrats to your nephew on his graduation.
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 13th, 2009, 6:53 pm

On another note, my efforts to stimulate the economy are drawing to a close. Someone else will have to do the spending for a while.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 13th, 2009, 6:59 pm

DukieInKansas wrote:It's been a rainy day in PA - but didn't rain for our morning walk.

Congratulations to Alex!!

:ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:
I worship the Blue Devil!
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 13th, 2009, 7:16 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:On another note, my efforts to stimulate the economy are drawing to a close. Someone else will have to do the spending for a while.
When do we get to see pics of the new car?
YmoBeThere

Post by YmoBeThere » June 13th, 2009, 7:54 pm

Light wasn't exactly how I wanted it to get the exact pics I wanted plus I just got a new(inexpensive) digital camera that doesn't have enough internal memory to hold more than 3 pics. A memory card is on its way...

If you look closely in the first photo, you can see the sole remaining building left from the Danvers State Hospital(Mental). According to the locals, a movie called Session 9 was filmed there and partly based on it. It has since been converted to an apartment building. I only visit on an outpatient basis.