TUMS Question

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

TUMS Question

Post by EarlJam » March 9th, 2011, 1:47 pm

If you eat an entire bottle of TUMS tablets, then eat, will the food digest? Or will all the acid be neutralized?

-EarlJam

P.S. Tums spelled backwards is "smut."
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Re: TUMS Question

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 9th, 2011, 2:13 pm

EarlJam wrote:If you eat an entire bottle of TUMS tablets, then eat, will the food digest? Or will all the acid be neutralized?

-EarlJam

P.S. Tums spelled backwards is "smut."
Yes. The amount of acid in your stomach is massive. Only a small amount of excess acid is being neutralized. If you eat enough Tums, you could probably give a lab rat cancer. Eventually. Or go broke. Or both.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 9th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Oh, man, Tums! It's the breakfast of champions for pregnant women.

I ate Tums by the case when I was pregnant. I even ate them when I was in labor. Each time, as soon as I pushed that baby out, the heartburn went away, and so did my economy size container of Tums.

:9f:
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 10th, 2011, 12:37 am

The fruity Tums are pretty tasty. I happily crush them when heartburn rears its ugly head.
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » March 10th, 2011, 12:58 am

CathyCA wrote:Oh, man, Tums! It's the breakfast of champions for pregnant women.

I ate Tums by the case when I was pregnant. I even ate them when I was in labor. Each time, as soon as I pushed that baby out, the heartburn went away, and so did my economy size container of Tums.

Cathy, it turns out Prilosec is the new breakfast of pregnant champions. It's been a godsend.

And it doesn't make you incredibly constipated like Tums. EJ, for that reason alone, I'd avoid eating a whole bottle of the tasty, minty chews.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 10th, 2011, 7:18 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
CathyCA wrote:Oh, man, Tums! It's the breakfast of champions for pregnant women.

Cathy, it turns out Prilosec is the new breakfast of pregnant champions. It's been a godsend.

And it doesn't make you incredibly constipated like Tums. EJ, for that reason alone, I'd avoid eating a whole bottle of the tasty, minty chews.

LOL

Prilosec hadn't been invented when I was pregnant back in the dark ages. . . but I've used it since then, and it works. That's good to know!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 10th, 2011, 9:38 am

What has happened to the brand name Rolaids? It has completely disappeared from the store shelves in the last year or so. They had a product called "multi-symptom" that combined antacid and anti-gas that I bought, and both that and the regular product have simply vanished. Gone. Not to be found. Anyone know why?

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 10th, 2011, 10:14 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:What has happened to the brand name Rolaids? It has completely disappeared from the store shelves in the last year or so. They had a product called "multi-symptom" that combined antacid and anti-gas that I bought, and both that and the regular product have simply vanished. Gone. Not to be found. Anyone know why?
They had a recall in December of all softchew products in the US. http://www.rolaids.com/page.jhtml?id=ro ... ll_dec.inc

I used to buy the multi-symptom stuff by the case, until I had my gall bladder out and no longer had a need.

Iron Duke #1471997.
windsor
PWing School Professor

Post by windsor » March 10th, 2011, 12:58 pm

I have never taken Tums...or Prilosec...or Rolaids. In fact, I don't believe I have ever had heartburn.
All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost; the old that is strong does not wither, deep roots are not reached by the frost.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » March 10th, 2011, 3:06 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:What has happened to the brand name Rolaids? It has completely disappeared from the store shelves in the last year or so. They had a product called "multi-symptom" that combined antacid and anti-gas that I bought, and both that and the regular product have simply vanished. Gone. Not to be found. Anyone know why?
They had a recall in December of all softchew products in the US. http://www.rolaids.com/page.jhtml?id=ro ... ll_dec.inc

I used to buy the multi-symptom stuff by the case, until I had my gall bladder out and no longer had a need.

Thanks for that info and the link. That explains the soft chews, but I bought the regular (compressed powder/granular-like) tablets. No mention of those in the recall. So the mystery continues.

CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » March 10th, 2011, 4:20 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:

Oh boy! This is very good to know.

~ James Naismith
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 10th, 2011, 5:28 pm

wilson wrote:The fruity Tums are pretty tasty. I happily crush them when heartburn rears its ugly head.

I have heartburn so bad every day (history of stomach problems) that Tums and the like do absolutely nothing for me. I could eat a bottle without it helping much at all. I take a pill each morning though that does a great job of preventing heartburn. One of those in the morning and I can eat anything I want. If I am going to pig out and eat a lot (especially pasta or curry) then I take another pill in the evening and I'm fine.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » March 10th, 2011, 6:13 pm

colchar wrote:
wilson wrote:The fruity Tums are pretty tasty. I happily crush them when heartburn rears its ugly head.

I have heartburn so bad every day (history of stomach problems) that Tums and the like do absolutely nothing for me. I could eat a bottle without it helping much at all. I take a pill each morning though that does a great job of preventing heartburn. One of those in the morning and I can eat anything I want. If I am going to pig out and eat a lot (especially pasta or curry) then I take another pill in the evening and I'm fine.
Me too. Zantac 150 every day for me. It works very well and I only have to pop the tums once a month or so, when I overindulge. If I don't take the Zantac, I'm feeling the acid by 11am (I think it's the 24oz+ of coffee I drink every morning).
-- DukeUsul
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » March 10th, 2011, 7:18 pm

I might could consume a live toad...but I would follow it up with a dose of Gaviscon.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » March 10th, 2011, 7:28 pm

DukeUsul wrote:
colchar wrote:

Me too. Zantac 150 every day for me. It works very well and I only have to pop the tums once a month or so, when I overindulge. If I don't take the Zantac, I'm feeling the acid by 11am (I think it's the 24oz+ of coffee I drink every morning).

The Zantac stuff doesn't work for me either. The stuff I take i available only by prescription. I am using the generic version now but one of the brand names I used to take was Pariet. You should look into it, it is amazing stuff.
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 10th, 2011, 9:13 pm

I take tiger blood. Then I blink and cure myself with my mind.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 10th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:I take tiger blood. Then I blink and cure myself with my mind.
Is that because you're a bitchin' rock star from Mars? :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 11th, 2011, 8:04 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
Jesus_hurley wrote:I take tiger blood. Then I blink and cure myself with my mind.
Is that because you're a bitchin' rock star from Mars? :9f:
WINNING!