ACC season awards

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 9th, 2011, 1:44 pm

All-ACC honors for Duke:

Nolan Smith: ACC POY
Nolan and Kyle: 1st team All-ACC
Nolan: ACC All-Defensive team
Mason: All-ACC Honorable mention
Mason, Kyle, Ryan Kelly: All-ACC academic team

Duke was the only school to place 3 players on the 13 player All-Academic team.

:9f: :9f: :9f:
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: ACC season awards

Post by robertduke32 » March 10th, 2011, 10:59 am

I saw where Roy won the ACC Coach of the Year...really? His team had high expectations, didn't meet them initially, faltered through 1/2 a season and only started played well when one of his players quit the team. I would give it to UVA's Bennett FWIW.

Henson wins Defensive Player of the Year....Singleton is probably a better choice here, but he did miss a lot of time, so I'm ok with this.

Barnes wins Rookie of the Year. Kendall Marshall should have won this by a long shot. It's a shame really. Barnes doesn't have the resurgence without Marshall's play at the end of the year. You can give me the "he didn't play enough during the year" argument, but NO player in ACC play had the affect that Marshall did for his team. PERIOD.

:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 10th, 2011, 12:22 pm

robertduke32 wrote:I saw where Roy won the ACC Coach of the Year...really? His team had high expectations, didn't meet them initially, faltered through 1/2 a season and only started played well when one of his players quit the team. I would give it to UVA's Bennett FWIW.

Henson wins Defensive Player of the Year....Singleton is probably a better choice here, but he did miss a lot of time, so I'm ok with this.

Barnes wins Rookie of the Year. Kendall Marshall should have won this by a long shot. It's a shame really. Barnes doesn't have the resurgence without Marshall's play at the end of the year. You can give me the "he didn't play enough during the year" argument, but NO player in ACC play had the affect that Marshall did for his team. PERIOD.

Yeah, Roy as COY is a head scratcher. A pre-season top 10 team with 7-8 Burger boys and he gets credit for 'coaching them up'. Coach K should get just as much credit for having a more successful season without the use of one of the most dynamic PG's in the NCAA for 2/3 of the season - but that'll never happen.

Funny thing about Henson is that while he does block a bunch of shots and alters others, he frequently ends up out of position when doing so. UNC gave up a bunch of easy baskets throughout the season because of this, but that doesn't get shown on Sportscenter. But honestly, after Singleton went out there wasn't a clear cut leader, so I can understand this selection as well.

And Marshall should have finished higher then Barnes. But in terms of stats and worth to his team, Travis McKie was the best freshman in the ACC. I know Wake was pretty awful this year, but imagine them without McKie. He averaged 13 points and 7.6 rebounds while shooting 49% from the floor and 74% from the line.

I know I'm just discounting everything given to unc-ch here and maybe it's just the hatred kicking in. I think I'd have been OK with any 1 of these 3 awards going to unc-ch, but all 3? Nope, just not right.

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 10th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Like JH, I have a problem with the parade of awards headed to chapel hell.

Were I to vote for COY, Ol Roy wouldn't factor into my discussion. My take is the only thing he did right all year was run Larry Drew off and start Kendall Marshall. Some love for Coach K (which is about as likely to happen as my buying a million-dollar winning lottery ticket on the way home) is in order, and how about some from for Brad Brownell? Did anyone here think Clumpson would get a bye on this lovely Friday? I did not. I think he did a far better job of coaching up what he had to work with, than Ol' Roy.

I would have voted for Kendall Marshall over the black buzzard (or whatever lil barnesy is calling himself these days). No way unc is where they are without Marshall. I wouldn't say the same thing for our little prince harry. I also agree that Travis McKie deserved a little favor, since without him Wake would have been a complete disaster. But as we all know, disastrous teams don't usually win their players any favor.

John Henson? Meh. He makes the spectacular block into the fourth row, but give me blocks that are recovered by my team for a fast break, and he tends to go for the splashy play and give up some easy baskets. I suppose without Singleton playing the whole year, though, Henson's receiving DPOY isn't a surprise.

:9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.