Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school

Re: Ymm, Beer!

Post by rockymtn devil » June 8th, 2009, 10:28 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:Each year that I sample new barleywines, I like Bigfoot less. I'd rather have Old Horizontal, Monster, Old Foghorn, Blithering Idiot and Old Boardhead. And the next group, which would not be too far behind, would be Hog Heaven, Old Knucklehead, Olde School, Duck-Rabbit and Schlafly's. I'm sure I left a couple or three off the list, too. Your point is well taken though.
I find Bigfoot to be a little bitter for a barleywine but I haven't had the patience to let one sit for a few years and ripen. I like your list. If we are including old ales, Old Horizontal, Curmudgeon, and Old Stock would be at the top of my list with Monster, Hog Heaven, and Gnarleywine just behind. I've yet to try Olde School (can't seem to find it each winter). My latest buying binge was a little barleywine heavy with old stock, a bigfoot, blithering idiot, and 2 that I've yet to try (speakeasy old godfather and clipper city below decks). Has anyone had Lost Abbey Angel Share? A generous friend gave me a bottle as gift nearly a year ago and given the cost/reputation, i've been waiting for just the right opportunity to pop it open..
Have you tried Great Divide's Old Ruffian? It's a sear-your-tastebuds beer. Since it sounds like we have some serious BW fans here, I'll give it a huge recommendation.

Also, Lost Abbey is a wonderful brewery. They are the "high end" label of the Port Brewing Co. (which is also fantastic) out of San Diego. Their Gift of the Magi Christmas Wild Ale is one of my favorite beers.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 9th, 2009, 11:06 am

rockymtn devil wrote:Have you tried Great Divide's Old Ruffian? It's a sear-your-tastebuds beer. Since it sounds like we have some serious BW fans here, I'll give it a huge recommendation.

Also, Lost Abbey is a wonderful brewery. They are the "high end" label of the Port Brewing Co. (which is also fantastic) out of San Diego. Their Gift of the Magi Christmas Wild Ale is one of my favorite beers.
I have had Old Ruffian and agree with your assessment. I definitely found it to be on the more hoppy/bitter side of the barleywine style but very good.
Continuing the theme, last night I had Clipper City below Decks BW. Not a bad beer but average overall. Unlike Old Ruffian, Below Decks is almost entirely sweet malt with hints of fruit. There is a odd spiciness which I can't place and a definite alcohol bite though neither of these are particularly over powering. Again I've had much better barleywines but this is a decent and very drinkable option, especially if you lean towards the sweeter/maltier tastes..
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2009, 8:26 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was very tempted to call it the memorial day brew due to the fact that it wasn't in the fermenter until it was officially memorial day, but I picked another name instead. Below is the recipe for my "Eveything But The Kitchen Sink". I used every grain I had left. The OG was lower than I hoped, at 1.050, but we'll see what happens with the high gravity yeast. To get a truly high gravity brew, I would have also had to pitch in some dry malt extract. It's very dark, and from the ingredients I'd say you can call it a "oatmeal wheat stout". I'm thinking now that my AC is working well, it won't be the last brew of the season like I was expecting.

5lbs Pale Ale
3.5lbs Light Wheat
2lbs Belgian Special
2lbs Belgian Aromatic
1.5 lbs Chocolate
1lb Flaked Oats
1/2lb Black Patent

2 hour boil

2oz golding hops (10 minute)
1oz target hops (1/2 hour)
1oz fuggles hops (1 hour)
1oz hersbrucker hops(at end)
I was gonna bottle this tonight, but I decided to keep up the experiment. I racked into my secondary, a glass carboy. I rarely use a secondary fermenter, lots of brewers swear by them. At the transfer I dry hopped with an ounce of Mt. Hood hops, and added 1lb. corn sugar. The gravity reading I took before the bottling is what intigated this, in that it was much higher than I expected it to be. (meaning low alcohol). Knowing that I pitched a high gravity yeast in there, it doesn't seem to have performed as I expected. I was suspicous early on, because there was not a lot of activity in the fermentation lock. Right now that puppy is bubbling away, so we'll see if it keeps up. If it's less than I expect before I head off on my trip, I'm going to pitch another ale yeast in. I'm thinking I won't have to; I believe I had low oxygen levels to start. Anyways, I'll be bottling it when I get back from San Fran, so that's another 10 days or so of fermentation to go. I did taste it, and it came across as a winner. Very nice coffee notes, looking more like a dark brown ale than a stout.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 10th, 2009, 7:49 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:I was very tempted to call it the memorial day brew due to the fact that it wasn't in the fermenter until it was officially memorial day, but I picked another name instead. Below is the recipe for my "Eveything But The Kitchen Sink". I used every grain I had left. The OG was lower than I hoped, at 1.050, but we'll see what happens with the high gravity yeast. To get a truly high gravity brew, I would have also had to pitch in some dry malt extract. It's very dark, and from the ingredients I'd say you can call it a "oatmeal wheat stout". I'm thinking now that my AC is working well, it won't be the last brew of the season like I was expecting.

5lbs Pale Ale
3.5lbs Light Wheat
2lbs Belgian Special
2lbs Belgian Aromatic
1.5 lbs Chocolate
1lb Flaked Oats
1/2lb Black Patent

2 hour boil

2oz golding hops (10 minute)
1oz target hops (1/2 hour)
1oz fuggles hops (1 hour)
1oz hersbrucker hops(at end)
I was gonna bottle this tonight, but I decided to keep up the experiment. I racked into my secondary, a glass carboy. I rarely use a secondary fermenter, lots of brewers swear by them. At the transfer I dry hopped with an ounce of Mt. Hood hops, and added 1lb. corn sugar. The gravity reading I took before the bottling is what intigated this, in that it was much higher than I expected it to be. (meaning low alcohol). Knowing that I pitched a high gravity yeast in there, it doesn't seem to have performed as I expected. I was suspicous early on, because there was not a lot of activity in the fermentation lock. Right now that puppy is bubbling away, so we'll see if it keeps up. If it's less than I expect before I head off on my trip, I'm going to pitch another ale yeast in. I'm thinking I won't have to; I believe I had low oxygen levels to start. Anyways, I'll be bottling it when I get back from San Fran, so that's another 10 days or so of fermentation to go. I did taste it, and it came across as a winner. Very nice coffee notes, looking more like a dark brown ale than a stout.
Making sure I have an empty 6 pack carrier around... :D
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
weezie

Post by weezie » June 10th, 2009, 9:29 pm

Forgive me if this has been posted but I have learned to thoroughly enjoy something know as (yes, totally non-PC) the "Irish Car Bomb," Guinness, preferably drawn through a nitrogen tap, with a shot consisting of 1/2 Jameson's +1/2 Bailey's. Drop that shot into the Guinness and chug, chug, chug.
Of course, it's not an every night drink :) , maybe just a Stanley Cup playoff game victory kind of a thing.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 10th, 2009, 10:36 pm

weezie wrote:Forgive me if this has been posted but I have learned to thoroughly enjoy something know as (yes, totally non-PC) the "Irish Car Bomb," Guinness, preferably drawn through a nitrogen tap, with a shot consisting of 1/2 Jameson's +1/2 Bailey's. Drop that shot into the Guinness and chug, chug, chug.
Of course, it's not an every night drink :) , maybe just a Stanley Cup playoff game victory kind of a thing.
I have many stories involving this drink, shepherds pie, and the James Joyce in Durham. On the DBR, they might get me "On Holiday".
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 10th, 2009, 11:15 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
weezie wrote:Forgive me if this has been posted but I have learned to thoroughly enjoy something know as (yes, totally non-PC) the "Irish Car Bomb," Guinness, preferably drawn through a nitrogen tap, with a shot consisting of 1/2 Jameson's +1/2 Bailey's. Drop that shot into the Guinness and chug, chug, chug.
I have many stories involving this drink, shepherds pie, and the James Joyce in Durham. On the DBR, they might get me "On Holiday".
I too have ingested my share of James Joyce car bombs.
I have also walked up to a bar in Belfast (yes, that Belfast) and asked for half a pint of Guinness with the appropriate mixed shot, only to find out it was a Protestant bar (the oldest bar in Belfast, in fact) when the bartender replied, "Oh, ya want some Catholic car bombs?"
True story.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 11th, 2009, 8:56 am

DFH Olde School Barleywine. I've been on the hunt for this for some time and finally came across a 4 pack at a store that likes to keep a stash of cellared beer (they have an impressive collection dating back 5+ years). I also grabbed a bomber of double bastard from them. Wow, the Olde School is a big time barley wine..15% ABV and it shows. Huge fruity malts up front with only a slight hint of hops. A bit of funky sour kick as well. The most noticeable trait for the beer however is its booziness. There wasn't really an alcohol burn as I found it very smooth but the booze was omnipresent. Again, at 15%, this is a real sipper or one best shared. I really liked it a lot. I still would put it a notch below Old Horizontal as a day to day barleywine as the OH is more balanced. This is a great 'treat" beer however for more special occasions. I'm going to stash away the last 3 and I may head back for another 4 pack if they have more.
weezie

Post by weezie » June 11th, 2009, 2:33 pm

wilson wrote:"Oh, ya want some Catholic car bombs?"
Oh geez, that IS funny!!! :D :ymapplause:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 3:26 pm

bluebear wrote:DFH Olde School Barleywine. I've been on the hunt for this for some time and finally came across a 4 pack at a store that likes to keep a stash of cellared beer (they have an impressive collection dating back 5+ years). I also grabbed a bomber of double bastard from them. Wow, the Olde School is a big time barley wine..15% ABV and it shows. Huge fruity malts up front with only a slight hint of hops. A bit of funky sour kick as well. The most noticeable trait for the beer however is its booziness. There wasn't really an alcohol burn as I found it very smooth but the booze was omnipresent. Again, at 15%, this is a real sipper or one best shared. I really liked it a lot. I still would put it a notch below Old Horizontal as a day to day barleywine as the OH is more balanced. This is a great 'treat" beer however for more special occasions. I'm going to stash away the last 3 and I may head back for another 4 pack if they have more.
I had a suspicion you would like that one... :D

Glad you finally found some.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 11th, 2009, 7:36 pm

devildeac wrote:
bluebear wrote:DFH Olde School Barleywine. I've been on the hunt for this for some time and finally came across a 4 pack at a store that likes to keep a stash of cellared beer (they have an impressive collection dating back 5+ years). I also grabbed a bomber of double bastard from them. Wow, the Olde School is a big time barley wine..15% ABV and it shows. Huge fruity malts up front with only a slight hint of hops. A bit of funky sour kick as well. The most noticeable trait for the beer however is its booziness. There wasn't really an alcohol burn as I found it very smooth but the booze was omnipresent. Again, at 15%, this is a real sipper or one best shared. I really liked it a lot. I still would put it a notch below Old Horizontal as a day to day barleywine as the OH is more balanced. This is a great 'treat" beer however for more special occasions. I'm going to stash away the last 3 and I may head back for another 4 pack if they have more.

I've become so predictable. :D I lucked out in finding it too as this place is a hole in the wall that specializes in scotch, etc. They have a tiny little cooler of beer and then some sort of treasure room in the basement. The challenge is that you never know what they have stored down there and you just have to ask about various breweries to find out. I'm trying to think of something obscure for my next trip..any recommendations? The guy mentioned a nice trappist selection so I may throw out Westvleteren 12 and see what he says..
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 10:18 pm

bluebear wrote:
devildeac wrote:

I've become so predictable. :D I lucked out in finding it too as this place is a hole in the wall that specializes in scotch, etc. They have a tiny little cooler of beer and then some sort of treasure room in the basement. The challenge is that you never know what they have stored down there and you just have to ask about various breweries to find out. I'm trying to think of something obscure for my next trip..any recommendations? The guy mentioned a nice trappist selection so I may throw out Westvleteren 12 and see what he says..
1. The Westvleteren is a great idea. Make sure you have a nice credit limit available on your Visa/MC if they actually have some. :D
2. Try some Rogue Old Crustacean, McRogue Scotch Ale or Imperial Stout and be sure to ask for it in the 7 ounce pony bottles or "nips." :D
3. Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1994 or 1995 would be an ancient one to request.
4. Sam Adams Millenium or Utopia would be unusual requests, too. Be prepared to 2nd mortgage the house if they have any. :((
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 12th, 2009, 6:14 pm

Special haul today. Picked up a bottle of Odell Brewing Co. (Ft. Collins, CO) Woodcut #2. This is the second in their oak aged series. The beer is aged for six months in virgin oak barrels before bottling. They only produced 350 cases (up from 175 last year) and each bottle is numbered and signed by hand by the brewmaster. Last year it sold out in a week, and although this year it's lasted a little longer, my guess is that I probably have less than week to pick up another bottle or two. At $25 a pop, though, it's hard to justify more than two. I'll stick both in the "cellar" for a later occasion.

And I stocked up on another bottle of 2008 Beast in case DD ever makes it to Colorado (I can't resist grabbing a bottle every time I see it; I know it'll go to good use eventually).
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 12th, 2009, 8:32 pm

devildeac wrote: 1. The Westvleteren is a great idea. Make sure you have a nice credit limit available on your Visa/MC if they actually have some. :D
2. Try some Rogue Old Crustacean, McRogue Scotch Ale or Imperial Stout and be sure to ask for it in the 7 ounce pony bottles or "nips." :D
3. Sam Adams Triple Bock from 1994 or 1995 would be an ancient one to request.
4. Sam Adams Millenium or Utopia would be unusual requests, too. Be prepared to 2nd mortgage the house if they have any. :((
Great suggestions...though as you suggest, my wallet and my wife may not agree...
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 12th, 2009, 8:40 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:Special haul today. Picked up a bottle of Odell Brewing Co. (Ft. Collins, CO) Woodcut #2. This is the second in their oak aged series. The beer is aged for six months in virgin oak barrels before bottling. They only produced 350 cases (up from 175 last year) and each bottle is numbered and signed by hand by the brewmaster. Last year it sold out in a week, and although this year it's lasted a little longer, my guess is that I probably have less than week to pick up another bottle or two. At $25 a pop, though, it's hard to justify more than two. I'll stick both in the "cellar" for a later occasion.

And I stocked up on another bottle of 2008 Beast in case DD ever makes it to Colorado (I can't resist grabbing a bottle every time I see it; I know it'll go to good use eventually).
Haven't tried anything from Odell but sounds like a great beer...special limited brews are well worth the splurge...

Grabbed a few not as limited releases today in Dog Fish Head Squall (double IPA) and Great Divide 15 (wood aged double IPA)..
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 12th, 2009, 9:55 pm

bluebear wrote:
rockymtn devil wrote:Special haul today. Picked up a bottle of Odell Brewing Co. (Ft. Collins, CO) Woodcut #2. This is the second in their oak aged series. The beer is aged for six months in virgin oak barrels before bottling. They only produced 350 cases (up from 175 last year) and each bottle is numbered and signed by hand by the brewmaster. Last year it sold out in a week, and although this year it's lasted a little longer, my guess is that I probably have less than week to pick up another bottle or two. At $25 a pop, though, it's hard to justify more than two. I'll stick both in the "cellar" for a later occasion.

Haven't tried anything from Odell but sounds like a great beer...special limited brews are well worth the splurge...

Grabbed a few not as limited releases today in Dog Fish Head Squall (double IPA) and Great Divide 15 (wood aged double IPA)..
That Great Divide brew is pretty damn limited. They're only making it this summer. That's actually what I went to the store looking for. How did it make it to you (Boston IIRC?) before me? I live four minutes from the brewery.

Never had the DFH, but I love everything they produce. I need to look out for it.
rockymtn devil

Post by rockymtn devil » June 12th, 2009, 9:59 pm

And...I had Great Divide Hercules IIPA tonight with some grilled red snapper tacos. That beer has been reviewed before (either here or on DBR) I'm sure, so I'll spare you a lot of details. Despite the 85 IBUs, it's remarkably well balanced. The nose has a bite, but I can't quite figure out the scents outside of the very strong pine aromas. The flavor has a long-lasting hop bite, but mellows with a really sweet, nutty malt flavor. Not as pungent as the Maharaja, but enjoyable nonetheless.
bluebeer

Post by bluebeer » June 12th, 2009, 10:05 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:
bluebear wrote:

That Great Divide brew is pretty damn limited. They're only making it this summer. That's actually what I went to the store looking for. How did it make it to you (Boston IIRC?) before me? I live four minutes from the brewery.

Never had the DFH, but I love everything they produce. I need to look out for it.
Boston it is..I lucked out in getting the GD (especially based on what you say) as I stopped at my local store on whim looking for the squall and saw the great divide. I grabbed the next to last bottle of it they had on the shelf. Now I wish I grabbed both.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 12:25 am

I'll add some Old Horizontal to my delivery and I have some cellared Monsters, too. :D

That is pretty damned spendy...
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 13th, 2009, 12:29 am

And I stocked up on another bottle of 2008 Beast in case DD ever makes it to Colorado (I can't resist grabbing a bottle every time I see it; I know it'll go to good use eventually).[/quote]

Grabbed a few not as limited releases today in Dog Fish Head Squall (double IPA) and Great Divide 15 (wood aged double IPA)..[/quote]

Never had the DFH, but I love everything they produce. I need to look out for it.[/quote]

Boston it is..I lucked out in getting the GD (especially based on what you say) as I stopped at my local store on whim looking for the squall and saw the great divide. I grabbed the next to last bottle of it they had on the shelf. Now I wish I grabbed both.[/quote]

You guys are putting me to shame. :oops: All I have from recent purchases are Blackberry Wit, Dale's Pale Ale, Red Sky at Night and Old Chub and I still have 1-2 of each of those left...