Kyrie

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

duketaylor
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Re: Kyrie

Post by duketaylor » March 2nd, 2011, 1:26 am

It's my understanding, and don't hold me to this, that Kyrie will suit up for Clemson, but not play. This, and that he will not play again this year. There's a lot of speculation going on out there, but I understand he is done. Sorry to have to post this. I'm disappointed, too. Anyways, GO DUKE!!!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2011, 7:08 am

duketaylor wrote:It's my understanding, and don't hold me to this, that Kyrie will suit up for Clemson, but not play. This, and that he will not play again this year. There's a lot of speculation going on out there, but I understand he is done. Sorry to have to post this. I'm disappointed, too. Anyways, GO DUKE!!!
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. (Not saying you are stupid...the idea is.)
If you know you are not going to play...why even suit up? If you know now you are not going to play, you should make that announcement. One reason for the announcement is that it would just put an end to the speculation, because IF he suits up, and IF he does not play, there are going to be lots of pissed off fans upset with the way this situation was handled, including myself.
Of course this is all rumor and speculation...but if any of the above comes to pass, I'm going to be really ticked off. Either suit up and see the court, or stay in street clothes.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2011, 8:31 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
duketaylor wrote:It's my understanding, and don't hold me to this, that Kyrie will suit up for Clemson, but not play. This, and that he will not play again this year. There's a lot of speculation going on out there, but I understand he is done. Sorry to have to post this. I'm disappointed, too. Anyways, GO DUKE!!!
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard. (Not saying you are stupid...the idea is.)
If you know you are not going to play...why even suit up? If you know now you are not going to play, you should make that announcement. One reason for the announcement is that it would just put an end to the speculation, because IF he suits up, and IF he does not play, there are going to be lots of pissed off fans upset with the way this situation was handled, including myself.
Of course this is all rumor and speculation...but if any of the above comes to pass, I'm going to be really ticked off. Either suit up and see the court, or stay in street clothes.
I'm with CB&B...that kind of approach wouldn't really make much sense to me.
Any chance you can shed a little light on whence this information comes?
Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by Bob Green » March 2nd, 2011, 10:59 am

It makes absolutely no sense to dress out if you know you will not play. I'm in the camp that believes this scenario will not happen. I have no problem believing Kyrie will not play again, but if he dresses he will play.

There is so much speculation and so many rumors circling cyberspace that one has no idea what to believe. Is Duke employing a misinformation campaign? Has Kyrie's Dad vetoed his return to the court? Is his toe still hurt? I have no idea! All we can do is what and see.

What I do know is Duke has a very solid basketball team that is capable of competing against any team in the country when hitting on all eight cylinders so I intend to enjoy the hell out of the next 5 weeks. If Kyrie returns, he returns. If Kyrie doesn't return, he doesn't return. Personally, I hope he returns, but I ain't going to lose any sleep over it.

Stop and smell the roses folks, enjoy the ride, because that long, long, off-season is just around the corner. It is March, which is a basketball fans favorite month.

[/Soap Box]
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2011, 11:28 am

Bob Green wrote:It makes absolutely no sense to dress out if you know you will not play. I'm in the camp that believes this scenario will not happen. I have no problem believing Kyrie will not play again, but if he dresses he will play.

There is so much speculation and so many rumors circling cyberspace that one has no idea what to believe. Is Duke employing a misinformation campaign? Has Kyrie's Dad vetoed his return to the court? Is his toe still hurt? I have no idea! All we can do is what and see.

What I do know is Duke has a very solid basketball team that is capable of competing against any team in the country when hitting on all eight cylinders so I intend to enjoy the hell out of the next 5 weeks. If Kyrie returns, he returns. If Kyrie doesn't return, he doesn't return. Personally, I hope he returns, but I ain't going to lose any sleep over it.

Stop and smell the roses folks, enjoy the ride, because that long, long, off-season is just around the corner. It is March, which is a basketball fans favorite month.

[/Soap Box]
I agree with your thoughts here, Bob. Well said. In particular, I share your frustration about all of the mixed signals and swirling innuendo...I have just given up trying to read the tea leaves.
I also will enjoy the close of this season, but I must confess...I will definitely lose a little bit of sleep over what might have been with Kyrie (in fact, I already have). :-??
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » March 2nd, 2011, 11:35 am

Bob Green wrote:It makes absolutely no sense to dress out if you know you will not play. I'm in the camp that believes this scenario will not happen. I have no problem believing Kyrie will not play again, but if he dresses he will play.

[/Soap Box]
Preach on, brother!

I don't think about what we would have been with Kyrie all year. With a few glaring exceptions, we have been not too shabby without him!
:9f: :9f: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2011, 2:19 pm

Kyrie's toe is now tightly adhering to Newton's third law of scuttlebutt: For every rumor, there is an equal and opposite rumor.
I wonder how many calories I've burned stewing about all of this shit.
:-? :-? :-?
#-o #-o #-o
8-| 8-| 8-|
:-\ :-\ :-\
:-?? :-?? :-??
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » March 2nd, 2011, 3:38 pm

wilson wrote:Kyrie's toe is now tightly adhering to Newton's third law of scuttlebutt: For every rumor, there is an equal and opposite rumor.
I wonder how many calories I've burned stewing about all of this shit.
:-? :-? :-?
#-o #-o #-o
8-| 8-| 8-|
:-\ :-\ :-\
:-?? :-?? :-??
I've spent the last three or four hours trying to keep up with all of the rumors.

So much for schoolwork.
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2011, 4:23 pm

Per Kyrie's Twitter page: "The rumors are not true...I will not be playing tonight and I'm still in my walking boot."
At this point, I do not expect ever to see Kyrie in a Duke uniform again. What a shame.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 2nd, 2011, 4:27 pm

wilson wrote:Per Kyrie's Twitter page: "The rumors are not true...I will not be playing tonight and I'm still in my walking boot."
At this point, I do not expect ever to see Kyrie in a Duke uniform again. What a shame.
http://twitter.com/kyrieirving/status/43055230459461632
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » March 2nd, 2011, 5:01 pm

wilson wrote:
wilson wrote:Per Kyrie's Twitter page: "The rumors are not true...I will not be playing tonight and I'm still in my walking boot."
http://twitter.com/kyrieirving/status/43055230459461632
The one person that I do believe.
:((
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » March 2nd, 2011, 11:26 pm

Sadly, I agree with you. I thought there was a chance until I saw the rehab video. Now I'm sure he's not playing this season and that he's entering the draft. :((
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » March 3rd, 2011, 12:49 am

Some of the chatter at half time was that Kyrie is done, shut down by his dad. As in finished. Not playing again this year for Duke. I am not holding out much hope. In fact, I am not holding out any hope at this point.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » March 3rd, 2011, 2:10 am

Bob Green wrote:It makes absolutely no sense to dress out if you know you will not play.
[/Soap Box]
He might just want to dress up for senior night for sentimental reasons. I could certainly see that. Solidarity with his good friend Nolan Smith on the occasion of his last home game? Possible Kyrie's last game in Cameron? I could certainly see those reasons to suit up. No, there are no practical reasons, but there are tons of emotional and sentimental ones if he really loves Duke as much as many say he does. And no, I'm not saying he doesn't love Duke if he doesn't suit up. Different people handle those emotions differently. Heck Nolan might have even ASKED him to suit up. I wouldn't have looked down on him either way.

I had friends in high school and at Duke who suited up for big games despite being PUP. Like I said, it's a sentimental thing, especially at things like homecoming or senior night. I suited up for homecoming my freshman year despite my injury.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » March 3rd, 2011, 8:53 am

devildeac wrote:Some of the chatter at half time was that Kyrie is done, shut down by his dad. As in finished. Not playing again this year for Duke. I am not holding out much hope. In fact, I am not holding out any hope at this point.

THATS my personal opinion!!! If Kyrie, is done at Duke, he would have wanted to dress and play a few minutes in Cameron, in front of a packed crowd for Senior Night. I have read the comments from his Father. And Mr Irving is calling the shots. Mr Wall Street is protecting his personal interest (Kyrie) and his NBA stock.

I personally feel that Kyrie wants to dress in a Duke uniform and play a few minutes each game, and get Duke an ENERGY BOOST each game. However, I dont think that will happen.

How long was his Duke career? 8 games?

However, Duke is still a good team without Kyrie. It has made the path for Nolan Smith to have an outstanding Senior Year.... My National Player of the Year!!! Go Nolan!!! :duke:
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » March 3rd, 2011, 11:14 am

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
devildeac wrote:Some of the chatter at half time was that Kyrie is done, shut down by his dad. As in finished. Not playing again this year for Duke. I am not holding out much hope. In fact, I am not holding out any hope at this point.

I have read the comments from his Father. And Mr Irving is calling the shots. Mr Wall Street is protecting his personal interest (Kyrie) and his NBA stock.
I don't think this quote is very fair. If Kyrie isn't 100%, he shouldn't play. And his Dad shouldn't let him. Kyrie is pretty much guaranteed a chance to earn millions of dollars for playing a game he loves. Kyrie may want to play (understandably), but it's up to the medical staff, coaches and his father to make sure he doesn't let emotions override his judgment. And if he's still in a boot except when rehabbing, he's not 100% yet.

Now if he was out of the boot and able to practice at full speed, I'd feel differently. But from all reports, that's not the case.
Devil in the Blue Dress

Post by Devil in the Blue Dress » March 3rd, 2011, 12:13 pm

The boot is expected to come off some time Saturday, but even that just seems to represent just another step in a long healing process. This injury is one about which there is limited knowledge and experience in managing.

I wonder about what will happen once Kyrie has the "green light" to play. Will the fear of re-injury hold him back in his return to his old form? A psychological component such as this can be as difficult to manage as the rehab of the physical injury.
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by EarlJam » March 3rd, 2011, 12:55 pm

wilson wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
I'm with CB&B...that kind of approach wouldn't really make much sense to me.
Any chance you can shed a little light on whence this information comes?
Could it be that Coach K knows Kyrie will not be coming back next year but wants to give him a chance to don the Duke uniform for the ACC regular season's final game? Kind of an honorary thing?

-EJ
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » March 3rd, 2011, 12:59 pm

bjornolf wrote:
Bob Green wrote:It makes absolutely no sense to dress out if you know you will not play.
[/Soap Box]
He might just want to dress up for senior night for sentimental reasons. I could certainly see that. Solidarity with his good friend Nolan Smith on the occasion of his last home game? Possible Kyrie's last game in Cameron? I could certainly see those reasons to suit up. No, there are no practical reasons, but there are tons of emotional and sentimental ones if he really loves Duke as much as many say he does. And no, I'm not saying he doesn't love Duke if he doesn't suit up. Different people handle those emotions differently. Heck Nolan might have even ASKED him to suit up. I wouldn't have looked down on him either way.

I had friends in high school and at Duke who suited up for big games despite being PUP. Like I said, it's a sentimental thing, especially at things like homecoming or senior night. I suited up for homecoming my freshman year despite my injury.

@};-
I posted my comment before reading this. My thoughts exactly. You wrote it much better.

-EarlJam, who will never look at a big toe the same way again. :(
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » March 3rd, 2011, 1:32 pm

Devil in the Blue Dress wrote:The boot is expected to come off some time Saturday...
Where'd you hear this? Have you been reading those damned rumors OY again? ;)