Are you guilty of tax evasion?

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Are you guilty of tax evasion? Or do you plan to be?

1. YES!
No votes
2. Maybe
13%
3. No.
75%
4. I plead the 5th.
13%

Total votes: 8
EarlJam
PWing School Associate Professor

Are you guilty of tax evasion?

Post by EarlJam » January 21st, 2011, 1:17 pm

Or have you ever been?
Your mama wears combat boots to bed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Are you guilty of tax evasion?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 21st, 2011, 1:30 pm

No, but I got audited once because my stupid ex employer fugged up my tax forms. This was when I was delivering pizza, and I made squat. Three years later the IRS decided to make me pay double my taxes, and I couldn't contest since I didn't have any paperwork. As far as the IRS is concerned, you are guilty until you prove your innocence. I'm a big fan of keeping all of my paperwork now. (One benefit of using TurboTax..they have all my records too.)
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 21st, 2011, 1:51 pm

Anyone who doesn't pay sales taxes on items purchased via catalog or online, over a certain (LOW) threshold amount (assuming taxes aren't part of the bill), is committing tax evasion in most states.

Just sayin'.... :whistle:
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 21st, 2011, 2:03 pm

The other day, I was driving down the road when a truck lost a load of stubby nails, strewing them on the pavement. Not wanting to pop a tire, I committed tacks evasion.
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 21st, 2011, 2:04 pm

wilson wrote:The other day, I was driving down the road when a truck lost a load of stubby nails, strewing them on the pavement. Not wanting to pop a tire, I committed tacks evasion.
Fucking Awesome.

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:

-EarlJam
EarlJam

Post by EarlJam » January 21st, 2011, 2:08 pm

wilson wrote:The other day, I was driving down the road when a truck lost a load of stubby nails, strewing them on the pavement. Not wanting to pop a tire, I committed tacks evasion.
I just shared this one with my co-workers. Told them you got arrested. They said, "Why would they arrest your friend for that? What did they get him for?"

Hook, line, sinker.

Then they laughed. Then I laughed. And we were all laughing. It was a special moment..............until David got weird and took his shirt off.

-EarlJam
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 21st, 2011, 2:10 pm

EarlJam wrote:
I just shared this one with my co-workers. Told them you got arrested. They said, "Why would they arrest your friend for that? What did they get him for?"

Hook, line, sinker.

Then they laughed. Then I laughed. And we were all laughing. It was a special moment..............until David got weird and took his shirt off.

-EarlJam
Love it. I heart bad puns. :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue:
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 28th, 2011, 9:42 am

lawgrad91 wrote:Anyone who doesn't pay sales taxes on items purchased via catalog or online, over a certain (LOW) threshold amount (assuming taxes aren't part of the bill), is committing tax evasion in most states.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/02/26/ ... tml?hpt=C2
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » February 28th, 2011, 10:08 am

I know here in NC the use tax that they apply on purchases from out of state that you don't pay sales tax on allows you to estimate what your tax would be if you don't have records. I always do this estimation on my taxes each year and it costs me around $30. It's worth it just in case that audit ever comes.
-- DukeUsul
Miles

Post by Miles » February 28th, 2011, 10:24 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:No, but I got audited once because my stupid ex employer fugged up my tax forms. This was when I was delivering pizza, and I made squat. Three years later the IRS decided to make me pay double my taxes, and I couldn't contest since I didn't have any paperwork. As far as the IRS is concerned, you are guilty until you prove your innocence. I'm a big fan of keeping all of my paperwork now. (One benefit of using TurboTax..they have all my records too.)
The same thing happened to me, three years in a row when our payroll clerk paid taxes to wrong state. I moved from NC to SC, then SC to NC, then NC to CA and each year they only paid taxes to one state instead of both; the last year the paid taxes to SC and CA, but I didn't even live in SC.

What started as a few hundred dollars, quickly swelled to about $7,000 with penalties and compounded interest.

I don't think I've ever been so angry with an employer as I was at that time. Luckily, I got a Christmas bonus that year in the exact amount I owed the IRS.
sMiles
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 28th, 2011, 1:25 pm

I found out the other day that I'm getting a nice, hefty tax refund this year.
My friend Charlie is coming over and we're going to spend it all on hookers and various intoxicants.
Any diseases or maladies we contract during Tax Refund Bender 2011, we are just going to cure with our brains the next morning.
B-) :ymsmug: :-* :dance: :skull: :cross fingers: :animals-gerbil: :animals-worm: :happy-bouncyredfire: :music-rockon: :obscene-drinkingcheers: :obscene-drinkingchug: :obscene-drinkingdrunk: :obscene-smokingpimp: :teasing-smokingcrack: :sad-roulette: :teasing-whipyellow: :puke-front: :ymparty:
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » March 1st, 2011, 12:58 am

wilson wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Anyone who doesn't pay sales taxes on items purchased via catalog or online, over a certain (LOW) threshold amount (assuming taxes aren't part of the bill), is committing tax evasion in most states.

http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/02/26/ ... tml?hpt=C2
Since I use Amazon for about 85% of my online purchasing, and because they're headquartered out here, I do pay sales tax to them. :(