Virginia Tech

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bob Green
PWing School Endowed Professor

Virginia Tech

Post by Bob Green » February 26th, 2011, 10:48 am

Today's objective is to lay a beat down on the Hokies. Actually, I'll settle for a 1 point win seeing as it is a conference road game against a talented team. I guess I'm just getting mellow in middle age. As Jesus Hurley points out in his preview, VT is led by talented seniors Malcolm Delaney and Jeff Allen who possess the dangerous combination of talent and experience. These two are surrounded by role players such as Victor Davila, Erick Green, Terrell Bell, and Jarell Eddie who are all capable of stepping up and having a big game. The Hokies' big weakness is their lack of depth.

So, how do we beat Virginia Tech?

VT has employed the 2-3 zone a lot this season due to the aforementioned lack of depth. Therefore, we must knockdown open shots. I know, I know...Captain Obvious arriving...who would have thought about actually making open shots. Attacking the center of a 2-3 is zone breaking 101 and Ryan Kelly torched Miami's zone by knocking down jumpers from around the free throw line. It would be great if Ryan could do that again today. Once we force VT to play M2M, their next weakness is introduced - foul trouble. We need to make Jeff Allen work on the defensive end of the court with an objective of getting him to pick up a couple of fouls.

So my offensive keys to the game are:

1. Value the basketball (always)
2. Attack the zone by making open shots (novel concept)
3. Take the ball at Jeff Allen

On defense, we look to contain Delaney but with the knowledge he cannot beat us by himself. For example, Duke won the infamous Bootsie Thornton game. The key will be to shutdown VT's supporting players. We cannot afford to allow Green or Bell or Eddie step up and complement Delaney with a great game. The same goes for Jeff Allen. We don't have to stop him, we just have to contain him (hopefully with foul trouble).

So my defensive keys to the game are:

1. Shutdown VT's supporting cast
2. Contain Delaney
3. Contain Allen

Today's game is a huge one. We have to go on the road into a hostile environment and win against a talented team to maintain our one game lead in the conference standings. It is almost March, the excitement is palpable, and tip-off is still 10 hours away. It's going to be a long day...

Bob
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Re: Virginia Tech

Post by captmojo » February 26th, 2011, 11:04 am

Good analysis, Bob. There isn't much I can think to add.

My key thought is the defense on Allen. He can be the biggest difference for them. Delaney will get his offensive production, but he has trouble being the take it over guy. Delaney won't be the one to win it single-handedly and he can be quite sloppy and inconsistent. Put a limit on Allen and their lack of depth can't make up the difference.

If I were Greenburg, and thank goodness I'm not, I would not let any success that Duke may have with the outside shot cause me to have my team to stray from the zone defense. Protection from fouling on the inside is too important.
:9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 26th, 2011, 12:58 pm

Jesus_Hurley has his preview here..

http://crazietalk.net/?p=441 :9f:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » February 26th, 2011, 1:15 pm

(DukePA channeling her inner EarlJam :D

You put your Plumlee in,
You "T" the Greenburg out,
You put your Nolan in,
And you slam the ball about,

You do the hokie pokie
and you push the gobbler out
That what it's all about.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 26th, 2011, 4:38 pm

Put 3 guys with whistles and striped shirts on the floor who will call fouls the same way on both ends of the court. Not even. Just consistent. I hate groanberg and his WWE approach to the game of basketball.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
robertduke32
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by robertduke32 » February 26th, 2011, 7:00 pm

Match their energy coming out of the gate and I think we'll be good to go. Good analysis by all.

:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » February 26th, 2011, 11:17 pm

Well that sucked.
-- DukeUsul
DukePA

Post by DukePA » February 26th, 2011, 11:32 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Well that sucked.
Out loud :( :9f:
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 27th, 2011, 7:39 am

devildeac wrote:Put 3 guys with whistles and striped shirts on the floor who will call fouls the same way on both ends of the court. Not even. Just consistent. I hate groanberg and his WWE approach to the game of basketball.
I don't really care for Luckie, but we just aren't going to win if Singler is shooting 1 out of 11,000,000 from 3pt range.

Will we be seeing Kyrie against the Tiggers? :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 27th, 2011, 9:09 am

Lavabe wrote:
devildeac wrote:Put 3 guys with whistles and striped shirts on the floor who will call fouls the same way on both ends of the court. Not even. Just consistent. I hate groanberg and his WWE approach to the game of basketball.
I don't really care for Luckie, but we just aren't going to win if Singler is shooting 1 out of 11,000,000 from 3pt range.

Will we be seeing Kyrie against the Tiggers? :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes: :Hobbes:
I didnt get to see the game, but had 2 people texting me.

I have only seen a few highlights. Seems, like Kyle got some points, but took ALOT of shots, and missed. Read that this was Seth Curry's worst game ever.

I saw some of the Gameday yesterday. The Hokie Pokies were hungry for a signature win.

What did REF LUCKIE DO THAT YOU DONT CARE FOR? I didnt get to see the game, and thought it might be on rerun last night, but I havent seen it yet.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » February 27th, 2011, 9:53 am

Congratulations turkeys. Also, some props to mr. delaney. Yeah, you were fouled by Nolan on that lay-up. The refs didn't call it. You hit the shot. But take it out on the refs, not Nolan. I'd like to see their reaction to an uncalled intentional forearm shove to their backs like the one you thuggishly gave Nolan after the play, running down toward the other end. Good job, asshole! Nolan never saw it coming as he splatted face forward to the floor. How many points are awarded for that, you jerk?

With any luck, we will meet again in Greensboro, jackass!

I'm not bitter. This isn't what lost the game. I do sometimes believe that Greenburg not only accepts thuggery, but goes so far as to actually endorse it...and teach it. We've had to witness this behavior from his teams for too long.
Bob Green

Post by Bob Green » February 27th, 2011, 9:58 am

What went wrong? When we were up 55-50 with six minutes to go a sigh of relief went through my body. I knew we had dodged a bullet and pulled out a victory on the road. Then the wheels came off our bus or the train jumped the tracks or the wings fell off our plane or ... you get my point.

1. Miles Plumlee missed a dunk.
2. We forced bad shots instead of passing to open shooters. When Singler turned the ball over at the 3:09 mark, Dawkins was wide open on the wing.
3. Nolan Smith missed a layup and the front end of a one and one.
4. Seth Curry turned the ball over when we had to make a 3-pointer to tie.

The list goes on and on. Nolan Smith played a great defensive game on Delaney, Mason Plumlee played solid, and Andre Dawkins was 2-4 on 3-pointers. Kyle Singler was 1-7 and Ryan Kelly 0-4 on 3-point attempts. If Kyle Singler had taken only 4 3-pointers and Andre Dawkins had taken 7 perhaps the end result would have been better.

Bob
captmojo

Post by captmojo » February 27th, 2011, 10:17 am

Bob Green wrote:
1. Miles Plumlee missed a dunk.
2. We forced bad shots instead of passing to open shooters. When Singler turned the ball over at the 3:09 mark, Dawkins was wide open on the wing.
3. Nolan Smith missed a layup and the front end of a one and one.
4. Seth Curry turned the ball over when we had to make a 3-pointer to tie.

Bob
1. I'd really like to see dunking outlawed again. Guys are more concerned with making the highlight reels instead of focusing in on putting 2 points up FOR THE TEAM! Sorry to yell, but it's true. That miss by Miles was not neccessary. He could have simply took in the rebound and laid it back up for 2. Use the backboard. "God put that square up there for a reason."
2. The regaining of the lead was not cherished. After working so hard to get back in it, they were jumping all over the first chance to fling it up for more...and far too quick and glad to do so.
3. Shit happens. He had a bad angle and released too quickly.
4. Seth had a night where he had it in his head that he had a legend to live up to. Too much pressure. How many of Seth's games has Dell attended? Mom's been there nearly all, right? First time I've paid attention to his presence, and it had to be this one?

Next play!
DUKEBLUE252
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by DUKEBLUE252 » February 27th, 2011, 10:31 am

captmojo wrote:Congratulations turkeys. Also, some props to mr. delaney. Yeah, you were fouled by Nolan on that lay-up. The refs didn't call it. You hit the shot. But take it out on the refs, not Nolan. I'd like to see their reaction to an uncalled intentional forearm shove to their backs like the one you thuggishly gave Nolan after the play, running down toward the other end. Good job, asshole! Nolan never saw it coming as he splatted face forward to the floor. How many points are awarded for that, you jerk?

With any luck, we will meet again in Greensboro, jackass!

I'm not bitter. This isn't what lost the game. I do sometimes believe that Greenburg not only accepts thuggery, but goes so far as to actually endorse it...and teach it. We've had to witness this behavior from his teams for too long.
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
peace? PEACE??!! I hate the word, as i hate chapel hell, all tarholes, and roy.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » February 27th, 2011, 1:57 pm

DevilWearsPrada2.0 wrote:
Lavabe wrote:

I didnt get to see the game, but had 2 people texting me.

I have only seen a few highlights. Seems, like Kyle got some points, but took ALOT of shots, and missed. Read that this was Seth Curry's worst game ever.

I saw some of the Gameday yesterday. The Hokie Pokies were hungry for a signature win.

What did REF LUCKIE DO THAT YOU DONT CARE FOR? I didnt get to see the game, and thought it might be on rerun last night, but I havent seen it yet.
My point was there was no way one could blame this game on the refs, whether it be Luckie (the one who called the game last night) or anyone. As I said, if Kyle goes 1 for 11,000,000 from 3-pt range, we won't win much of anything.

If anyone outside the team deserves blame for last night, it would be I. I stopped washing dishes with a couple of minutes left. :ymblushing: #-o
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo

Post by captmojo » February 27th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Lavabe wrote:
If anyone outside the team deserves blame for last night, it would be I. I stopped washing dishes with a couple of minutes left. :ymblushing: #-o
I didn't want to ask. I didn't want to go that far. Good to know we all have you to blame. X( :))