Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: How full is your fridge?

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 9th, 2011, 10:53 am

CathyCA wrote:
captmojo wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: A dorm fridge would be a good option for MIL's Jello treats and anything else she might consume or need. Those little Jello things are fiendish. :flame: If you have a good location for it, that's the direction I would go. They aren't that expensive, and if it saves you the aggravation of having little Jellos flying out at you every time you open the door, it's probably worth it.
It's under strong consideration. It's what I keep out on the deck for beer and any overflow that might occur from within the house.
I have a built-in fridge in my sunroom. I store drinks in it. That really helps to create room for food in the fridge that's in the kitchen.

I wonder how many people here have a fridge out in the garage. When I lived in California and had 2, make that 3, boys at home, I needed that extra room for their food.
TNT has a fridge in his garage, and a freezer. My mom has a freezer in hers.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 9th, 2011, 11:20 am

Which fridge? We have one upstairs (with normal stuff), and one downstairs (with beer, apples, and various sodas... all of which have their own CTN threads). :ymparty:
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » January 9th, 2011, 11:51 am

Must get some FANTA for my fridge.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 3:30 pm

I keep one dormer size on the deck out back. It's mainly for beer and wine but holds overflow if you position correctly.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Ima Facultiwyfe
PWing School Professor

Post by Ima Facultiwyfe » January 9th, 2011, 4:34 pm

I replaced a side-by-side fridge whose doors closed on me every time I tried to take something out or put something in. Hated that thing. My second goof was not double checking the size of the French door one I replaced it with. It looked like the one I have at the lake, but inside turned out to be REALLY REALLY dinky. (Buyer beware). At this ripe old age, I've started canning to save room in there. The upside is that it forces me to clear it out more frequently. I guess I'm a little better organized, but I hate it. It won't hold a week's supply of groceries.
Love, Ima
"We will never NEVER go away." -- D. Cutcliffe
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 9th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Ima Facultiwyfe wrote:I replaced a side-by-side fridge whose doors closed on me every time I tried to take something out or put something in. Hated that thing. My second goof was not double checking the size of the French door one I replaced it with. It looked like the one I have at the lake, but inside turned out to be REALLY REALLY dinky. (Buyer beware). At this ripe old age, I've started canning to save room in there. The upside is that it forces me to clear it out more frequently. I guess I'm a little better organized, but I hate it. It won't hold a week's supply of groceries.
Love, Ima
Refridgerator set-up in the home, requires that the front be set a little higher than the rear for the reason of your door-closing problem. Add to that one more reason. When the thing goes into defrost mode, the melting frost, hereafter known as water :D , is channeled to run to the back and down the rear wall of the liner, and down to the collection pan underneath the appliance. There, said water is evaporated by warm air forced across the pan by the fan.

I know just enough about this stuff to keep me in trouble. :violin:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » January 9th, 2011, 9:49 pm

Our downstairs (garage fridge) died about 4 months ago (compressor failed, not worth fixing.) So, last week, we bought a new one for the kitchen. Yesterday was clean out the old one, today is install the new one in the kitchen and move the kitchen fridge back into the garage. I took the opportunity to throw out old condiments, lurking leftovers, etc. So, I can safely say the fridge is pretty empty! :happy-bouncyblue:

I'm really looking forward to having that 2nd working one again - particularly as I start to think about stocking up on frozen foods, etc. in prep for baby arrival. Otherwise, we use ours in a similar fashion to DukeUsul -- primarily drinks, and overflow.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » January 10th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Well. since I am moving this month, I can say, I have cleaned out the old fridge, and thrown away old condiments. And I was eating down the fridge and pantry. Its easier just to start over, and go to the grocery store, rather than box up everything. However, I still had several boxes and rubbermaid full of dry goods. And several from the fridge. Nothing old and No leftovers. Starting the new year off right. A clean Fridge!!!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » January 12th, 2011, 9:49 am

The fridge here is quite full. Mom & I started cooking up a storm about 10 days before Christmas, and we haven't much let up since then. In fact, we've experienced even another surge in cooking activity during the past few days' winter storm. Major constituents of the fridge contents at present include pulled pork from me with homemade cole slaw and collards from Mom, plus a batch of Mom's split-pea soup (which is considerably tastier than its reputation typically seems to indicate). There's a mound of other good stuff in there too, including a delicious chocolate cream pie made with the last frozen (homemade) pie crust.
We've had a good time cooking our way through Freeze-In 2011.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 12th, 2011, 8:38 pm

Our fridge is back to normal. That means there's really not much aside from the water pitcher, half and half, and then regular assortment of hot sauces, mustards, dressings, sour cream and mayo. We've got some leftovers from dinner tonight and that's about it. We try to keep it open so we can store left overs and usually buy fresh ingredients every few days.
sMiles
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 21st, 2011, 7:02 pm

Retrieved from page 4 when I was wanting to brag about dinner.

The food in my fridge would feed John Henson for two years.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 21st, 2011, 7:31 pm

My anti-purchasing project has worked wonders, and I can now see the majority of my freezer. :D
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » February 23rd, 2011, 4:37 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:Retrieved from page 4 when I was wanting to brag about dinner.

images.jpg
images.jpg (6.38 KiB) Viewed 196 times
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 23rd, 2011, 10:24 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:Retrieved from page 4 when I was wanting to brag about dinner.

images.jpg

JH, is that your fridge? I feel compelled go run out to Food Lion and do some grocery shopping for you.

Your refrigerator would use less energy if you had it filled with stuff--even condiments. Where's your butter and ketchup?
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 23rd, 2011, 10:59 pm

CathyCA wrote:Your refrigerator would use less energy if you had it filled with stuff--even condiments. Where's your butter and ketchup?
No kidding, JH. Did you go to grad school and not tell any of us?
I remember plenty of nights when my fridge contained beer, butter, and Cheerwine popsicles. Period.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » February 24th, 2011, 2:39 pm

I posted that in response to lawgrad's:
"The food in my fridge would feed John Henson for two years."
;)
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 24th, 2011, 2:40 pm