LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by ArkieDukie » June 11th, 2009, 9:10 pm

Wow. Take a one-day break and end up reading 4 days worth of posts! Welcome back Roxie!
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
Sue71
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Sue71 » June 11th, 2009, 9:22 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Wow. Take a one-day break and end up reading 4 days worth of posts! Welcome back Roxie!
;;) ;;) ;;) ;;) ;;)
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 11th, 2009, 9:45 pm

You know those simple little flash games that show up as part of banner ads? I'm a sucker for them. I'll play pretty much every time. I just made a few virtual McDonald's cappuccinos at the digital McCafe.
DukePA
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by DukePA » June 11th, 2009, 9:49 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:What did I miss? Who is Kelly?
Kelly is Miles' "old/new" girlfriend! Other than she being a carolina fan, he's done very well for himself. ;)

Of course, a Duke fan dating a carolina fan was the topic of BD's play. A case of real life imitating art, or vice versa.
I resemble that!! Miles, we must commiserate. It's tough being with a hole :D !!!
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 11th, 2009, 10:12 pm

wilson wrote:You know those simple little flash games that show up as part of banner ads? I'm a sucker for them. I'll play pretty much every time. I just made a few virtual McDonald's cappuccinos at the digital McCafe.
The one where you shoot the ducks is a ripoff. You never get anything :x

When I was little I used to beg my mom to let me call the number under the banner that told me I was the 1,000,001 visitor, and that I had won $1,000,000 dollars... :roll:
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 11th, 2009, 10:15 pm

CellR wrote:
When I was little I used to beg my mom to let me call the number under the banner that told me I was the 1,000,001 visitor, and that I had won $1,000,000 dollars... :roll:
This is funny, because even from my relatively young perspective (at least around here it's relatively young ;) :D :ymhug: ), this is but a sign of the times.
When I was little, I used to beg my mom for a quarter on the way out of the grocery so I could get a bouncy ball or a mini football helmet or a ninja figurine out of the bank of machines by the door.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 11th, 2009, 10:17 pm

wilson wrote:This is funny, because even from my relatively young perspective (at least around here it's relatively young ;) :D :ymhug: ), this is but a sign of the times.
When I was little, I used to beg my mom for a quarter on the way out of the grocery so I could get a bouncy ball or a mini football helmet or a ninja figurine out of the bank of machines by the door.
Haha :D
I also used to beg my mom to let me get a pack of Pokemon cards when I was in Books-A-Million. Those were the coolest...
And don't worry, I asked my mom to let me get the bouncy balls in the grocery as well!
Class of 2014
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 11th, 2009, 10:42 pm

wilson wrote:
CellR wrote:
This is funny, because even from my relatively young perspective (at least around here it's relatively young ;) :D :ymhug: ), this is but a sign of the times.
I just wanted to ride the horse or car out front of the store.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 11th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Sue71 wrote:
wilson wrote:
CellR wrote:
I just wanted to ride the horse or car out front of the store.
Ooh, me too! And remember when the standard McDonald's playground was an outdoor facility, and the entirely indoor ones were like a crazy, super-cool oddity?
Miles

Post by Miles » June 11th, 2009, 10:55 pm

DukePA wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
YmoBeThere wrote:What did I miss? Who is Kelly?
Kelly is Miles' "old/new" girlfriend! Other than she being a carolina fan, he's done very well for himself. ;)

Of course, a Duke fan dating a carolina fan was the topic of BD's play. A case of real life imitating art, or vice versa.
I resemble that!! Miles, we must commiserate. It's tough being with a hole :D !!!
Not with Kelly. :-D We do have some figuring out to do though; fall is gonna be interesting. Would love your advice. BTW, some may not know this, but my Mom went to, and is a Carolina fan. I must say, she is an awesome, awesome lady for putting up with the crap we put her through every season. :-p
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 12th, 2009, 9:15 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Living in a lonely world...
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere.
Is it just me, or is that song SOOOO overused? I guess since The Soprano's finale, I'd just prefer that no other show lay claim to it.
Then you would have hated the series finale of "Everybody Hates Chris"! They did a whole montage, using the song, a similar diner, a guy coming in from a truck, showing the dude a the counter, then the fade to black. I thought it was hysterical myself.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 12th, 2009, 10:23 am

bjornolf wrote:
Then you would have hated the series finale of "Everybody Hates Chris"! They did a whole montage, using the song, a similar diner, a guy coming in from a truck, showing the dude a the counter, then the fade to black. I thought it was hysterical myself.

%%-
I think you're the only person who watched that show.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 11:07 am

So I was at graduation practice this morning (being a marshal), and the assistant principal forgot for a moment which side of your head the tassel is supposed to be on, and which side you change it to after you graduate... What exactly does this signify anyways? A new start?

I'm tempted to wear one of those skinny camel packs under my jacket tomorrow, because it got really hot this morning. #:-s
Class of 2014
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 12th, 2009, 11:51 am

CellR wrote:So I was at graduation practice this morning (being a marshal), and the assistant principal forgot for a moment which side of your head the tassel is supposed to be on, and which side you change it to after you graduate... What exactly does this signify anyways? A new start?

I'm tempted to wear one of those skinny camel packs under my jacket tomorrow, because it got really hot this morning. #:-s
CellR, CONGRATULATIONS on being a marshal.

For high school graduations and bachelors degrees, the tassel is worn on the right and flipped to the left after receiving the diploma or degree. And you're right, it signifies a new start. Ever wonder why the ceremony at the end of school is called "commencement" instead of "The End?" It's to signify the beginning of the next chapter of the graduate's life.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 12:35 pm

CathyCA wrote:CellR, CONGRATULATIONS on being a marshal.

For high school graduations and bachelors degrees, the tassel is worn on the right and flipped to the left after receiving the diploma or degree. And you're right, it signifies a new start. Ever wonder why the ceremony at the end of school is called "commencement" instead of "The End?" It's to signify the beginning of the next chapter of the graduate's life.
Thanks!
That would be funny - a ceremony called "The End" :lol:

Do you graduate in the same manner for other degrees? Do they even have ceremonies for things like Ph. D's?
Class of 2014
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 12th, 2009, 12:42 pm

CellR wrote: Do they even have ceremonies for things like Ph. D's?
They damn well better. :twisted:
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 12th, 2009, 12:57 pm

The PhDs get to wear the really fancy robes. When we still lived in Cambridge, I'd love to see all the faculty in their wide range of colorful robes on graduation day. (Faculty wear the robes of the school that granted them their PhD degree.)

Sticking my toe into dangerous territory, I just started a thread on the PPB. I got mad about something and stated my opinion. :-s
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Post by Lavabe » June 12th, 2009, 1:06 pm

Bostondevil wrote:The PhDs get to wear the really fancy robes. When we still lived in Cambridge, I'd love to see all the faculty in their wide range of colorful robes on graduation day. (Faculty wear the robes of the school that granted them their PhD degree.)

Sticking my toe into dangerous territory, I just started a thread on the PPB. I got mad about something and stated my opinion. :-s
The robes aren't too fancy. The hoods are. Having said that, I need to get the forest green & black anniversary gowns from my PhD institute; sure beats wearing the same black every year.

And I MUST get a tam.

BD: Just stay away from that thread yonder. You'll feel better.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 12th, 2009, 1:48 pm

Lavabe wrote:
The robes aren't too fancy. The hoods are. Having said that, I need to get the forest green & black anniversary gowns from my PhD institute; sure beats wearing the same black every year.
I disagree. I think it depends on the institution. I remember when I was graduating from NYU, I said that I'd go back just to get a Doctorate JUST for the robe/hood/cap. They were AWESOME beyond belief.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 12th, 2009, 2:38 pm

I'm in Charlotte, getting ready to go to the show. Super luck, a Total Wine is around the corner, and they carry Sweet Water. I didn't buy any, I'll get some to take home. I did buy a 6 of Heavy Seas Loose Cannon, review later in Ymm, beer. Jane Says Summertime Rolls! Woooohoooo!
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.