LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by Bostondevil » June 11th, 2009, 2:53 pm

I am eagerly anticipating Shammrog's Friday poll.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 11th, 2009, 2:55 pm

captmojo wrote:
devildeac wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:PAGING DEVILDEAC

My sister sent the below to me in one of those pass it on emails. Any truth to what she shared? I am particularly concerned about the part that states "there may be no pain in the chest during a heart attack." I've always heard the opposite.

About Heart Attacks

There are other symptoms of an heart attack besides the pain on the left arm.
One must also be aware of an intense pain on the chin, as well as nausea and lots of sweating, however these symptoms may also occur less frequently.
Note: There may be no pain in the chest during a heart attack.
The majority of people (about 60%) who had an heart attack during their sleep, did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep.

If that happens, immediately dissolve two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water.
Immediately Afterwards
- phone 911, a neighbor or a family member who lives very close by
- say "heart attack!"
- say that you have taken 2 aspirins.
- take a seat on a chair or sofa near the front door, and wait for their arrival and...
~ do NOT lie down ~
This is what I get for not spending much time here yesterday. OTOH, it's kinda nice to read through 4 pages of the LTE and PW like crazie(talk) for an hour or so. :)) .
I believe there is a fair amount of truth to the above. There may be some shortness of breath also. I'd chew the aspirin. It would be OK to lay down if you feel lightheaded/dizzy. There really is not much else to do until EMS arrives and they should be there in less than 10 minutes. Not much else to suggest.
What should be done if the person happens to be allergic to aspirin...or for that matter, all NSAIDs?
...and furthermore, how about an opinion, from the aspect of our favorite cardio, concerning the effects of moderate amounts of beer on the organs and vessels of the cardio-vascular system? I understand many spout :D the virtues of red wine, yet I've not read or heard much about beers and ales.

On behalf of beer lovers everywhere,
mojo
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 11th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Another question for our resident cardiologist/beer expert.

My wife suggests I go on a diet and eliminate "white carbs" for two weeks. Does that mean I can drink dark beer instead of Bud Light? :D
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 11th, 2009, 3:27 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Another question for our resident cardiologist/beer expert.

My wife suggests I go on a diet and eliminate "white carbs" for two weeks. Does that mean I can drink dark beer instead of Bud Light? :D
Wouldn't Bud Light fall under "yellow carbs"?
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 3:31 pm

TillyGalore wrote:HAPPY KING KAMEHAMEHA DAY!!!

To honor the day I'm wearing a dress I bought in Hawaii! Would have worn my nut lei, but I've misplaced it. :(
Ozzie...

Nope, not touching this one either... :oops: :roll:
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 3:32 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

To honor the day I'm wearing a dress I bought in Hawaii! Would have worn my nut lei, but I've misplaced it. :(
You've misplaced your nuts? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Why am I nut, err, not surprised... :oops: :roll: ?
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 11th, 2009, 3:37 pm

Should we just dispense with the niceties and start calling it what it is, "Shammrog's Friday pole"?

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 3:45 pm

This is what I get for not spending much time here yesterday. OTOH, it's kinda nice to read through 4 pages of the LTE and PW like crazie(talk) for an hour or so. :)) .
I believe there is a fair amount of truth to the above. There may be some shortness of breath also. I'd chew the aspirin. It would be OK to lay down if you feel lightheaded/dizzy. There really is not much else to do until EMS arrives and they should be there in less than 10 minutes. Not much else to suggest.[/quote]
What should be done if the person happens to be allergic to aspirin...or for that matter, all NSAIDs?[/quote]
...and furthermore, how about an opinion, from the aspect of our favorite cardio, concerning the effects of moderate amounts of beer on the organs and vessels of the cardio-vascular system? I understand many spout :D the virtues of red wine, yet I've not read or heard much about beers and ales.

On behalf of beer lovers everywhere,
mojo[/quote]

Kinda like real estate (location...) but moderation, moderation, moderation...

I haven't read any comparative studies for several years, but, IIRC, the cardio benefits of wine are better than beer, but because both are fermented products, they both exert favorable effects on (lowering) cholesterol, and (raising) HDL cholesterol. Moderation has been defined as 1-4 drinks/day. I tend to recommend 1-2 drinks/day to patients, family and friends (if they are of that persuasion) and define 1 drink as: a) 4-6 ounces of wine b) 12 ounces of beer or c) 1-1.5 ounces of liquor. The distilled products tend to lose some of their anti-oxidant effects/contents/products in that process. For those non-partakers, a letter to the editor of one of the reputable cardio mags 2-3 years ago touted similar benefits from grape juice, also. Hope that helps.

I was on-call last PM so no vascular benefits for me yesterday. Think I'll have 2 benefits tonight. :D
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 11th, 2009, 3:47 pm

TillyGalore wrote:

Better yellow carbs than yellow snow... ;)

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 11th, 2009, 3:50 pm

devildeac wrote:

My sister sent the below to me in one of those pass it on emails. Any truth to what she shared? I am particularly concerned about the part that states "there may be no pain in the chest during a heart attack." I've always heard the opposite.

About Heart Attacks

One must also be aware of an intense pain on the chin, as well as nausea and lots of sweating, however these symptoms may also occur less frequently.
The majority of people (about 60%) who had an heart attack during their sleep, did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep.

If that happens, immediately dissolve two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water.
Immediately Afterwards
- say "heart attack!"
- take a seat on a chair or sofa near the front door, and wait for their arrival and...
~ do NOT lie down ~
I believe there is a fair amount of truth to the above. There may be some shortness of breath also. I'd chew the aspirin. It would be OK to lay down if you feel lightheaded/dizzy. There really is not much else to do until EMS arrives and they should be there in less than 10 minutes. Not much else to suggest.
Thank you for the info. I'm never sure whether or not I can believe what my sister sends as she sends EVERYTHING.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 11th, 2009, 3:50 pm

devildeac wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:

You've misplaced your nuts? =)) =)) =)) =)) =))
Why am I nut, err, not surprised... :oops: :roll: ?
Stop messing with my nuts! :ymtongue:
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 3:50 pm

No, it means no potatoes, rice and other similar carbs.

But nice try... :roll: ;)

You would increase your beer appreciation and cardio protection however. :D
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 11th, 2009, 3:51 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
TillyGalore wrote:

Better yellow carbs than yellow snow... ;)
So very true!!!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 11th, 2009, 5:34 pm

So I haven't been around much; haven't been able to concentrate very well because I have an impacted wisdom tooth that has been killing me. You won't believe the hassle I've had to go through trying to get a dentist appointment, but that's another story. Anyway, so I finally got an appointment today and discovered that I must have all four wisdom teeth extracted by an oral surgeon. One of them is actually growing down at an angle, pushing into the roots of another tooth.

It hurts.

Tuesday I go in for surgical consult with the oral surgery and to meet anesthesiologist, then we'll schedule the extraction. In one way, I'm very pleased that I'll be asleep for the procedure because I don't really enjoy dentists or complete strangers being all up in my grill. On the other hand, this sucks royally.
sMiles
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 11th, 2009, 6:41 pm

Miles wrote:So I haven't been around much; haven't been able to concentrate very well because I have an impacted wisdom tooth that has been killing me. You won't believe the hassle I've had to go through trying to get a dentist appointment, but that's another story. Anyway, so I finally got an appointment today and discovered that I must have all four wisdom teeth extracted by an oral surgeon. One of them is actually growing down at an angle, pushing into the roots of another tooth.

It hurts.

Tuesday I go in for surgical consult with the oral surgery and to meet anesthesiologist, then we'll schedule the extraction. In one way, I'm very pleased that I'll be asleep for the procedure because I don't really enjoy dentists or complete strangers being all up in my grill. On the other hand, this sucks royally.
Schedule the surgery for the morning and have someone drive you both ways. Even if all goes well, plan on spending the day in bed with hopefully lots of TLC from Kelly. I don't mean that the way it might sound ;) because you won't be in the mood for anything but sleeping and you'll need someone to attend to your every need. Don't plan on doing much the next day (or two) either.

And yeah, it orally royally sucks!

YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 11th, 2009, 7:06 pm

What did I miss? Who is Kelly?
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 11th, 2009, 8:24 pm

TillyGalore wrote:
devildeac wrote:

About Heart Attacks

Immediately Afterwards
- say "heart attack!"
~ do NOT lie down ~
Thank you for the info. I'm never sure whether or not I can believe what my sister sends as she sends EVERYTHING.
I prefer to follow the advice in this article:

Report: Aspirin Taken Daily With Bottle Of Bourbon Reduces Awareness Of Heart Attacks
"This study represents a major victory in the fight against heart disease, America's number-one killer," said Dr. Arthur Katzeff, head of the University of Pennsylvania team. "Each year, more than two million Americans clutch their chests in terror and say, 'Jesus Christ! I'm having a fucking heart attack!' With this revolutionary new aspirin-bourbon treatment, however, such fully conscious incidents of cardiac arrest may soon be a thing of the past."
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 11th, 2009, 9:01 pm

Sue71 wrote:Living in a lonely world...
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 11th, 2009, 9:04 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
Sue71 wrote:Living in a lonely world...
She took the midnight train goin' anywhere.
Is it just me, or is that song SOOOO overused? I guess since The Soprano's finale, I'd just prefer that no other show lay claim to it.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 11th, 2009, 9:05 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:What did I miss? Who is Kelly?
Kelly is Miles' "old/new" girlfriend! Other than she being a carolina fan, he's done very well for himself. ;)

Of course, a Duke fan dating a carolina fan was the topic of BD's play. A case of real life imitating art, or vice versa.