Need computer software advice...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Need computer software advice...

Post by bjornolf » February 9th, 2011, 7:28 pm

When my mom passed away, my dad gave me her Dell laptop. It was almost new back in May, and I've come to really like it. Problem is, it has Windows 7 and this weird, neutered version of Microsoft Office. I want to start writing on this computer, so my question to the Microsoft experts out there is, is this just the way Word and Excel are now, or did my parents get some cheap version that comes with the computer, and the "real" versions are still out there somewhere?

Thanks.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: Need computer software advice...

Post by DukeUsul » February 9th, 2011, 7:35 pm

How so are they neutered? The current versions of Word and Excel in 2007 and 2010 versions of Office are great and very full featured. It's possible you have Office Starter Edition: http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/product ... arter.aspx

Does your wife get access to a Microsoft partner program through her work? We can get very cheap access to home versions of MS software through my company, it may be something for you to look into.
-- DukeUsul
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » February 9th, 2011, 7:36 pm

OpenOffice.org is also pretty good, very full featured and free. There can be minor compatibility issues when moving betwen DOC format and it's own formats, but it's 99% perfect - and if you're only writing for yourself and not doing a ton of exchange of highly-graphicsy-documents, it probably meets all your needs.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 9th, 2011, 8:10 pm

DukeUsul wrote:OpenOffice.org is also pretty good, very full featured and free. There can be minor compatibility issues when moving betwen DOC format and it's own formats, but it's 99% perfect - and if you're only writing for yourself and not doing a ton of exchange of highly-graphicsy-documents, it probably meets all your needs.
Plus, you can set it the preferences under "save/load" to load all Office docs, and save them as Office docs, so you don't have to remember to keep doing it with each file. I install Open Office a lot on clients' computers.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul

Post by DukeUsul » February 9th, 2011, 9:05 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
DukeUsul wrote:OpenOffice.org is also pretty good, very full featured and free. There can be minor compatibility issues when moving betwen DOC format and it's own formats, but it's 99% perfect - and if you're only writing for yourself and not doing a ton of exchange of highly-graphicsy-documents, it probably meets all your needs.
Plus, you can set it the preferences under "save/load" to load all Office docs, and save them as Office docs, so you don't have to remember to keep doing it with each file. I install Open Office a lot on clients' computers.
I've still run into some minor conflict issues, for example opening a .doc file created on a real Office install and seeing table formatting change or disappear, even when having OO.o save it as a .doc. Usually nothing major, but some little things.
-- DukeUsul
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 10th, 2011, 12:10 am

GO TO HELL, carolina, GO TO HELL!
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 10th, 2011, 9:52 am

Google Docs is pretty freaking sweet too.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » February 12th, 2011, 6:49 pm

Thanks for the advice. My wife is constantly yelling insults at my copy of Excel, especially when it tries to get intuitive and fill things in for her. It's wrong 99% of the time.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage