Duke vs unc: MBB

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Duke vs unc: MBB

Post by devildeac » February 6th, 2011, 10:46 pm

Color me worried. Officially.

I can't believe they beat f$u by 20 or whatever the final was and that they scored 89 (?) on that vaunted *efense.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Re: Duke vs unc: MBB

Post by lawgrad91 » February 6th, 2011, 10:52 pm

I'm there with you, DD.

I worry on general principles about the sheep anytime we play them in anything. If we had a backgammon tourney I'd be nervous. But they are playing their best ball right now.

I'm hoping that the LD shock where they play great will only last one game. I think I need a hug, or some op-toe-mism from Ozzie.
:-ss :-ss
:9f: :9f: :9f: :9f: :9f:
Iron Duke #1471997.
DevilWearsPrada2.0
PWing School Professor

Post by DevilWearsPrada2.0 » February 7th, 2011, 1:40 pm

I watched the entire HOLE and NOLE game............. It was real!! With that said.... GTHC :9f:
Jesus_hurley
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Jesus_hurley » February 7th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Sounds like Rasheed Suliamon will be attending the game. Suliamon is a 2012 recruit - he's a 6'3" combo guard currently ranked 18th overall on ESPN.

:9f: :9f:
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 7th, 2011, 6:35 pm

I watched the holes put down the noles. They, like most all others, have improved probably to their peak potential right now.
The noles uber defense was a no-show. The holes also out-rebounded them. Piss upon both their houses!
:9f:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
kewlswim
I don't know what PWing is.
I don't know what PWing is.

Post by kewlswim » February 7th, 2011, 6:45 pm

Hi,

The Tar Heels are playing their best ball of the year. Hence, a Duke beat down will dispirit them greatly. FSU does not play the same at home as on the road. Their defense was atrocious. Though I am nervous, really nervous, I am not sure how much can be read into the FSU game. That was not the same FSU team we played in Tallahassee. Truth be told, Duke shot miserably down there (we always seem to) and I am not sure how much it was that FSU beat us and how much we beat ourselves.

GO DUKE!

:happy-bouncyblue: :happy-bouncyblue: :twocents:
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 7th, 2011, 10:50 pm

kewlswim wrote:Hi,

The Tar Heels are playing their best ball of the year. Hence, a Duke beat down will dispirit them greatly. FSU does not play the same at home as on the road. Their defense was atrocious. Though I am nervous, really nervous, I am not sure how much can be read into the FSU game. That was not the same FSU team we played in Tallahassee. Truth be told, Duke shot miserably down there (we always seem to) and I am not sure how much it was that FSU beat us and how much we beat ourselves.

GO DUKE!

I'm pretty nervous too.
Iron Duke #1471997.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 8th, 2011, 8:49 am

GO DUKE!

It also didn't help that FSU seemed to have no offensive game plan. Rather than using their considerable athleticism to their advantage in half-court sets, they decided to shoot a whole bunch of threes (21 of them, in fact), and in typical fashion, they missed the great majority of them (they shot 4-21, or 19%, from downtown). Missed threes, as we know, lead to long rebounds, which lead to transition opportunities...a recipe for disaster against a Roy Williams team.
Duke a) will have a much more solid offensive scheme planned out (just look at Mason's very solid recent performances for indication of some of the halfcourt work we'll do), and b) won't shoot 19% from 3 in Cameron (while they proved themselves capable of an abominable long-range percentage in the St. John's game, this will not be the case at home).
FSU, with several advantages in the matchup in chapel hill, came out and played those advantages right out of the game. This not only dictated that their offense would be even more deficient than usual, but it also took them out of their usually very solid defensive modes. Duke will play much smarter than this.
carolina did look good, and there is cause for concern (there always is), but we should win on Wednesday.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2011, 9:44 am

wilson wrote:

GO DUKE!

It also didn't help that FSU seemed to have no offensive game plan. Rather than using their considerable athleticism to their advantage in half-court sets, they decided to shoot a whole bunch of threes (21 of them, in fact), and in typical fashion, they missed the great majority of them (they shot 4-21, or 19%, from downtown). Missed threes, as we know, lead to long rebounds, which lead to transition opportunities...a recipe for disaster against a Roy Williams team.
Duke a) will have a much more solid offensive scheme planned out (just look at Mason's very solid recent performances for indication of some of the halfcourt work we'll do), and b) won't shoot 19% from 3 in Cameron (while they proved themselves capable of an abominable long-range percentage in the St. John's game, this will not be the case at home).
FSU, with several advantages in the matchup in chapel hill, came out and played those advantages right out of the game. This not only dictated that their offense would be even more deficient than usual, but it also took them out of their usually very solid defensive modes. Duke will play much smarter than this.
carolina did look good, and there is cause for concern (there always is), but we should win on Wednesday.
We did manage to shoot 19% (6/31) for the 2nd half against the 'Pack on Saturday night so we proved ourselves capable of repeating a woeful shooting performance. Not a pretty sight. Fortunately, it was against NCSU and not a quality foe.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 8th, 2011, 9:53 am

devildeac wrote:We did manage to shoot 19% (6/31) for the 2nd half against the 'Pack on Saturday night so we proved ourselves capable of repeating a woeful shooting performance. Not a pretty sight. Fortunately, it was against NCSU and not a quality foe.
A fair point, but Saturday's game was an aberration in many ways. I thought our dismal second half was attributable almost entirely to sheer boredom. Hell, I was bored off my ass trying to watch it. State came out with so little fire and allowed us to bury them so completely in the first half that our boys simply had no reason to play with much urgency after the break. This lack of focus is disheartening, of course, but I highly doubt if boredom will be a problem against the heels.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » February 8th, 2011, 10:15 am

wilson wrote:
devildeac wrote:We did manage to shoot 19% (6/31) for the 2nd half against the 'Pack on Saturday night so we proved ourselves capable of repeating a woeful shooting performance. Not a pretty sight. Fortunately, it was against NCSU and not a quality foe.
A fair point, but Saturday's game was an aberration in many ways. I thought our dismal second half was attributable almost entirely to sheer boredom. Hell, I was bored off my ass trying to watch it. State came out with so little fire and allowed us to bury them so completely in the first half that our boys simply had no reason to play with much urgency after the break. This lack of focus is disheartening, of course, but I highly doubt if boredom will be a problem against the heels.
I agree with that. Sort of like like year against unc-ch in Cameron. :D

devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2011, 2:22 pm

wilson wrote:
I'd still expect better than 6/31. I don't want to beat a team by 40-50 (unless it was the 'holes :D or an exhibition game), but I still expect more focus and/or a better FG% than 19%. I agree I don't think we'll see any lack of focus tomorrow night.
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » February 8th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Anybody know who the refs are for this game?

Gminski and Brando will be announcing locally, Vitale and Shulman on ESPN.

lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 8th, 2011, 3:59 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Anybody know who the refs are for this game?

Hallelujah! I live in the Gminski and Brando zone! There will be no need to pull my eardrums out and stomp them into tiny pieces.
Iron Duke #1471997.
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » February 8th, 2011, 4:59 pm

Jesus_hurley wrote:Anybody know who the refs are for this game?

Does it really matter? Ryan and Miles already have 2 fouls and henson has had 3 obvious goaltends ignored. X(
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 8th, 2011, 5:50 pm

I AIN'T SKEERED!

"Come on in", said the devil to the goat.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 9th, 2011, 8:22 am

Make sure you read JH's very indepth analysis of tonight's game. It's long, but it's worth the read.

http://crazietalk.net/?p=409
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 9th, 2011, 10:06 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:Make sure you read JH's very indepth analysis of tonight's game. It's long, but it's worth the read.

http://crazietalk.net/?p=409
Are you making a joke? I don't see any analysis, just smilies and a couple of links.
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » February 9th, 2011, 10:13 am

We had the annual "Coach K pre-game talk" last night in Cameron - it was awesome! Nolan started off his mini-speech with "Wassup everybody?! I just wanted to share something real quick. Last night I had a dream..." At this point Coach K interjects with "Wait, wait, wait... It was a basketball dream, right?"

Hilarious :D

But anyways, Nolan's dream was that he was standing in Cameron while Duke was winning against UNC with a score of around 80 to 50, and the Crazies were so loud that they woke him up out of his dream!

I'm so pumped for tonight!
Class of 2014
Jesus_hurley

Post by Jesus_hurley » February 9th, 2011, 1:31 pm

typical_tarheel.jpg
typical_tarheel.jpg (29.96 KiB) Viewed 597 times