TV shows that stink in multiple languages

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

TV shows that stink in multiple languages

Post by Lavabe » June 10th, 2009, 11:07 am

I have the TV on as background noise. At the hotel, we get two channels: TV Madagascar, and the French channel that the owner and his family are watching.

Okay, Hannah Montana stinks in English, but just is plain old HIDEOUS in French. Billy Ray Cyrus's voice dub is just so non-country, it's pitiful. There is no hope for this show.

MY INCREDIBLE BIRTHDAY: I think this is an MTV vehicle ... which should say enough. But no, it's probably the most disgusting show about conspicuous consumption ever created. And being in a poor country doesn't make this show any easier to watch. Doctor dude drops $300,000 on his daughter's 16th birthday, including some rock group, and some small person stripper. wilson: I want to say it was in Charleston. Another dude rolls up in a brand new Nissan for his daughter. She's crying because it's such a low class car. Mom pulls up in a Benz for daughter... they bought the Nissan just to pull one on their daughter. This show annoys me. L-)

Charmed: Actually, the show is about the same in multiple languages.

CSI Miami/CSI New York: MUCH better in French, because the David Caruso voice dub is trying to sound like David Caruso. In a weird way, I think the shows are funny, but ultimately they stink in French.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: TV shows that stink in multiple languages

Post by wilson » June 10th, 2009, 11:10 am

Lavabe wrote:
MY INCREDIBLE BIRTHDAY: I think this is an MTV vehicle ... which should say enough. But no, it's probably the most disgusting show about conspicuous consumption ever created. And being in a poor country doesn't make this show any easier to watch. Doctor dude drops $300,000 on his daughter's 16th birthday, including some rock group, and some small person stripper. wilson: I want to say it was in Charleston. Another dude rolls up in a brand new Nissan for his daughter. She's crying because it's such a low class car. Mom pulls up in a Benz for daughter... they bought the Nissan just to pull one on their daughter. This show annoys me. L-)
That show makes me want to vomit. It's utterly reprehensible, and I'm flabbergasted that MTV would play that in a place like Madagascar.
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 10th, 2009, 11:24 am

wilson wrote:That show makes me want to vomit. It's utterly reprehensible, and I'm flabbergasted that MTV would play that in a place like Madagascar.
Technically, the hotel owner has a satellite dish, and gets the feed from France.

On the other hand, we got great coverage of the French Open, and the Tour de France coverage is usually pretty good too.
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukieInKansas
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 10th, 2009, 11:33 am

Lavabe wrote:
wilson wrote:That show makes me want to vomit. It's utterly reprehensible, and I'm flabbergasted that MTV would play that in a place like Madagascar.
Technically, the hotel owner has a satellite dish, and gets the feed from France.

On the other hand, we got great coverage of the French Open, and the Tour de France coverage is usually pretty good too.
Lucky you on the coverage of le Tour de France. I hate having to come to work while the live coverage is on in the mornings here.
Life is good!
captmojo
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 11th, 2009, 2:32 pm

wilson wrote:
Lavabe wrote:
That show makes me want to vomit. It's utterly reprehensible, and I'm flabbergasted that MTV would play that in a place like Madagascar.
My gast is flabbered that it gets air at all, anyplace. Isn't MTV supposed to be about music? Well, simple me thought it should.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » June 11th, 2009, 5:41 pm

wilson wrote: That show makes me want to vomit. It's utterly reprehensible, and I'm flabbergasted that MTV would play that in a place like Madagascar.
I'm flabbergasted that MTV would broadcast this show period. Wait, no I am not.
sMiles
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 11th, 2009, 9:16 pm

Wonder how a Fleetwood Mac or Neil Young concert would sound dubbed in French... :ymdevil:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » June 11th, 2009, 10:20 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Wonder how a Fleetwood Mac or Neil Young concert would sound dubbed in French... :ymdevil:
:)) :)) :)) :))
=)) =)) =)) =))
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
DukieInKansas
Location: Kansas - scientist's say it's flatter than a pancake - cross it on a bicycle and you won't agree.

Post by DukieInKansas » June 11th, 2009, 10:40 pm

John Wayne in Japanese was pretty funny.

The Walnuts in Korean - of course I wasn't a fan of them in English.
Life is good!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 11th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Donald Duck is the one thing I still can't pick up in French. I have, however, seen every Bond film through Goldeneye in French.
I also saw Pulp Fiction for the first time in French. I thought the "le Big Mac" scene was hysterical, but oddly enough, nobody else in the room agreed. :-??
Rolvix
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Rolvix » June 11th, 2009, 10:51 pm

wilson wrote:Donald Duck is the one thing I still can't pick up in French. I have, however, seen every Bond film through Goldeneye in French.
I also saw Pulp Fiction for the first time in French. I thought the "le Big Mac" scene was hysterical, but oddly enough, nobody else in the room agreed. :-??
Royale with Cheese :D

What a great movie.
Class of 2014
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 12th, 2009, 9:12 am

"What did they call the Whopper?"

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
Rolvix

Post by Rolvix » June 12th, 2009, 11:11 am

I don't know, I didn't go to Burger King!
Class of 2014
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor

Post by Lavabe » June 12th, 2009, 12:57 pm

Family Feud: Stinks BIG time, with theme music of WE ARE FAMILY.

At least WHO WANTS TO WIN A MILLION? is pretty good.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 12th, 2009, 6:29 pm

THE BEST foreign show in my mind is a show that was on in Spain when I was there in 1992. It was called "sin verguenza" and it was kinda similar to Howie Do It in that they make schmoes on the street do the most humiliating stuff for laughs. They also had their version of America's Funniest Home Videos, only instead of cute little kids doing crazy stuff, it was the most violent video show I've ever seen, except maybe "Faces of Death". These guys were getting their pants ripped off by bulls and launching cars into crowds of people and shit like that. It was insane. And the audience would laugh HYSTERICALLY. I just watched in horrified fascination. x_x

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage