Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

wilson
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 1:17 am

CathyCA wrote:
wilson wrote:
CathyCA wrote:...There are plenty of gay men who get married and have children.
Just ask my dad. 8-|
I don't think I knew this.
Well, now you do, I guess. It's not really that big a deal anymore...Dad has found plenty of other ways to distress and/or annoy me.
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » February 1st, 2011, 1:18 am

The fetching young lady with whom I've recently taken up mentioned the other day that she had never seen 'Top Gun', so tonight we sat and ordered it from the on-demand cable menu. It was the first time I'd sat and watched that film from start to finish with no commercial interruption in quite a long time. Turns out it's still really great, even something like 23 years after I first saw it.
B-) :captAmerica: :scout: :auto-rally: :violence-minigun: :usa:
DevilAlumna
Graduate Student at PWing school
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by DevilAlumna » February 1st, 2011, 1:44 am

wilson wrote:The fetching young lady with whom I've recently taken up mentioned the other day that she had never seen 'Top Gun', so tonight we sat and ordered it from the on-demand cable menu. It was the first time I'd sat and watched that film from start to finish with no commercial interruption in quite a long time. Turns out it's still really great, even something like 23 years after I first saw it.
There are so many things to "Like" about this paragraph. Yay Top Gun, yay for getting the movie you want "on demand," yay for the staying power of a classic Tom Cruise flick, and yay for Wilson's recently taking up with a fetching young lady!
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » February 1st, 2011, 6:05 am

DevilAlumna wrote:
wilson wrote:The fetching young lady with whom I've recently taken up mentioned the other day that she had never seen 'Top Gun', so tonight we sat and ordered it from the on-demand cable menu. It was the first time I'd sat and watched that film from start to finish with no commercial interruption in quite a long time. Turns out it's still really great, even something like 23 years after I first saw it.
There are so many things to "Like" about this paragraph. Yay Top Gun, yay for getting the movie you want "on demand," yay for the staying power of a classic Tom Cruise flick, and yay for Wilson's recently taking up with a fetching young lady!
And yay for the volleyball game scene! :D
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 7:36 am

I don't think I knew about the fetching young lady, either.

Wilson, we have so much to catch up on!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 8:05 am

The Chinese really liked "Top Gun" too, or so I've been told. They used a scene from "Top Gun" to show a missile fired from one of their jets shooting down another jet.
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 1st, 2011, 8:13 am

ArkieDukie wrote:Sure hope our electricity doesn't go out because of the ice storm. I can't figure out how to get my gas logs to light. :-ss
Call your gas company. They will be glad to help you do it safely, at least over the telephone from a safe distance... ;) Seriously, they'll help you.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 1st, 2011, 8:16 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
The Chinese really liked "Top Gun" too, or so I've been told. They used a scene from "Top Gun" to show a missile fired from one of their jets shooting down another jet.
http://www.allgov.com/Unusual_News/View ... ill_110201

=)) =))
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » February 1st, 2011, 8:55 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote:

=)) =))
The sad thing is I've probably seen Top Gun so many times, I'd have recognized that F-5 exploding, even without the side-by-side view of the movie.
-- DukeUsul
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » February 1st, 2011, 9:07 am

DukeUsul wrote: The sad thing is I've probably seen Top Gun so many times, I'd have recognized that F-5 exploding, even without the side-by-side view of the movie.
That was the one thing I never liked about Tog Gun. Being an Air Force brat surrounded by kids of fighter pilots and attending air shows constantly, I immediately recognized that the "MiGs" in the movie weren't MiGs at all, but painted F-5s. I was so disappointed that Hollywood couldn't get their hands on the real thing and blow it up. :D I loved the movie other than that, though.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 10:11 am

lawgrad91 wrote:

=)) =))
Thanks, CB&B. I didn't have time to look for the link before I went to the varnish zone.
=)) =))

True story: my BFF Lara and I took a girl from church to see "Top Gun" when it came out. Holly was probably eight or nine at the time, and when the, uh, hot scenes began, Holly yelled in a voice that was probably audible two zip codes away, "Ewww! They're French kissing! That is sooooo gross!" Lara and I wanted to hide under the seats.

Holly is married with, like, three kids now. I wonder what her opinion is of French kissing at this point.
Iron Duke #1471997.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » February 1st, 2011, 10:19 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
lawgrad91 wrote: The Chinese really liked "Top Gun" too, or so I've been told. They used a scene from "Top Gun" to show a missile fired from one of their jets shooting down another jet.

=)) =))
Thanks, CB&B. I didn't have time to look for the link before I went to the varnish zone.
=)) =))

True story: my BFF Lara and I took a girl from church to see "Top Gun" when it came out. Holly was probably eight or nine at the time, and when the, uh, hot scenes began, Holly yelled in a voice that was probably audible two zip codes away, "Ewww! They're French kissing! That is sooooo gross!" Lara and I wanted to hide under the seats.

Holly is married with, like, three kids now. I wonder what her opinion is of French kissing at this point.
Did you go to her wedding? That post vows kiss would have been a perfect time to get her back.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » February 1st, 2011, 10:27 am

I love Top Gun. The first few places I visited were all Top Gun landmarks like Charlie's house in Oceanside, and Kansas City Barbecue downtown. I always got a kick out of driving down (the) 15 past Miramar and imagining Maverick drag racing a jet.

Sadly, Kansas City Barbeque caught fire in 2008. The building remained standing, but the inside was gutted and all of the memorabilia was lost. Major bummer for the movie fans, residents, owners, tourists, and every solider, sailor, aviator whose stories were told all over the walls and ceiling.

My closest friends in the office took me there for my going away party. We bailed from work early one Friday, took the train downtown and walked to KC BBQ, ate a mess of que, then walked to PetCo for a Padres day game. We got killer seats on the first base line in the outfield, right on the fence. Even though the building just wasn't the same, it was still cool to come into and leave San Diego through Kansas City Barbeque.
sMiles
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 11:33 am

My Mom and I have a 2pm appointment with her attorney today. She will be 90 years old in 6 weeks and now she wants to set up a plan of probate aviodance on my behalf, being her only heir. Any suggestions? Joint tenancy? Anything special I should know? Any special questions I should ask? :twitch:
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 12:16 pm

captmojo wrote:My Mom and I have a 2pm appointment with her attorney today. She will be 90 years old in 6 weeks and now she wants to set up a plan of probate aviodance on my behalf, being her only heir. Any suggestions? Joint tenancy? Anything special I should know? Any special questions I should ask? :twitch:
I'm no help. I slept through Trusts and Estates, plus the little I have picked up applies only to Virginia, which hasn't updated their laws since Thomas Jefferson passed.
Iron Duke #1471997.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » February 1st, 2011, 12:18 pm

I understand. Thanks. Time to go and gather her up.
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » February 1st, 2011, 12:29 pm

Miles wrote:
I love Top Gun. The first few places I visited were all Top Gun landmarks like Charlie's house in Oceanside, and Kansas City Barbecue downtown. I always got a kick out of driving down (the) 15 past Miramar and imagining Maverick drag racing a jet.

Sadly, Kansas City Barbeque caught fire in 2008. The building remained standing, but the inside was gutted and all of the memorabilia was lost. Major bummer for the movie fans, residents, owners, tourists, and every solider, sailor, aviator whose stories were told all over the walls and ceiling.

My closest friends in the office took me there for my going away party. We bailed from work early one Friday, took the train downtown and walked to KC BBQ, ate a mess of que, then walked to PetCo for a Padres day game. We got killer seats on the first base line in the outfield, right on the fence. Even though the building just wasn't the same, it was still cool to come into and leave San Diego through Kansas City Barbeque.
Did someone want a Top Gun landmark? B-) Anyone need to take a cold shower?
Attachments
California, 2009 029.jpg
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 2:24 pm

captmojo wrote:My Mom and I have a 2pm appointment with her attorney today. She will be 90 years old in 6 weeks and now she wants to set up a plan of probate aviodance on my behalf, being her only heir. Any suggestions? Joint tenancy? Anything special I should know? Any special questions I should ask? :twitch:
Her attorney will know what to do.

Avoiding probate isn't really a problem for most people in North Carolina. In fact, for most people, it's easier and cheaper to go through probate than it is to avoid it.
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » February 1st, 2011, 2:28 pm

I had a great morning in court. I tried a most unusual case and I won. Two attorneys have called me since then to compliment me and to discuss strategy. This will be good when I face them on the other side of cases down the road.

I didn't charge the client enough $$, however. Drafting the Order has sucked up most of the rest of my day.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » February 1st, 2011, 4:44 pm

CathyCA wrote:I had a great morning in court. I tried a most unusual case and I won. Two attorneys have called me since then to compliment me and to discuss strategy. This will be good when I face them on the other side of cases down the road.

I didn't charge the client enough $$, however. Drafting the Order has sucked up most of the rest of my day.
Good job! Was this the annulment you mentioned?

Drafting the order is always the sucky part of winning, or writing the brief on appeal. But it beats losing!
Iron Duke #1471997.