LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by TillyGalore » June 9th, 2009, 4:35 pm

PAGING DEVILDEAC

My sister sent the below to me in one of those pass it on emails. Any truth to what she shared? I am particularly concerned about the part that states "there may be no pain in the chest during a heart attack." I've always heard the opposite.

About Heart Attacks

There are other symptoms of an heart attack besides the pain on the left arm.
One must also be aware of an intense pain on the chin, as well as nausea and lots of sweating, however these symptoms may also occur less frequently.
Note: There may be no pain in the chest during a heart attack.
The majority of people (about 60%) who had an heart attack during their sleep, did not wake up. However, if it occurs, the chest pain may wake you up from your deep sleep.

If that happens, immediately dissolve two aspirins in your mouth and swallow them with a bit of water.
Immediately Afterwards
- phone 911, a neighbor or a family member who lives very close by
- say "heart attack!"
- say that you have taken 2 aspirins.
- take a seat on a chair or sofa near the front door, and wait for their arrival and...
~ do NOT lie down ~
I worship the Blue Devil!
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 9th, 2009, 5:30 pm

bjornolf wrote: When I was playing football at Duke
You played football at Duke? Varsity or club? I played club. When?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 9th, 2009, 5:33 pm

devildeac wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I don't know. I always thought that Carnegie's was a little over-rated. They've fallen into the trap of being too popular for their own good. There's a deli here in Fairfax run by a guy that moved down here from New York for work and was so disgusted by the lack of a good deli that he opened his own. I think his sandwiches are better than Carnegie's, personally.

%%-
Paging Ozzie, Paging Ozzie.

Road trip?? :D

You, me, Mrs. DD, Tilly, Cathy and DukeDiv2013?

* Report this post

Postby bjornolf » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:02 pm

OK, I'm impressed. They even have Hebrew National salami! What they don't have on the web site is pictures of the sandwiches :( . I'm tempted to drive up for dinner, but I have a softball game tonight. (Note: I tweaked a calf muscle last night and can't run, but they need my body there, standing still, just to have enough players to not forfeit tonight as several other players can't be there tonight. No gross pictures to post on this injury :lol: )

If you ever DO want to come hang out and go to Chutzpah's, let me know. You're welcome to crash in my guest room if you want, and I'd be happy to accompany you to the place. Their egg creams are REALLY good too. ;)
Road trip? Hell YES! And I'm sure clbunchofnumbers will join us for the meal, and some of us could stay at his house. Wonder which house Cathy would choose ;) And DukePA will probably also want to join us.

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 5:36 pm

I haven't been to the house of bone yet, but given the neighborhood, it's probably nicer than mine. I can accommodate a few people between the guest room and some air mattresses. Of course, you have to put up with my insane trio of minions. ;) I hear there are some cool museums and zoos around, too.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 9th, 2009, 5:45 pm

Oh, and for Ozzie, I think we discussed this once before a few years ago on DBR. I played varsity for all of about a month. When I showed up a certain senior linebacker, he went low on me and messed up my knee pretty good. At that point, I decided that maybe varsity wasn't for me, as I'd never be better than scout team. (I didn't play in high school, as my school didn't have it. I did play four years of rugby in high school though.) So, while rehabbing my knee, I joined the club team. I never looked back. We had more fun, I got to start, and we won more games than the varsity every season I played except my sophomore year, when varsity went to the Hall of Fame Bowl after starting the season 7-1. ;)

So, to make a long story short (TOO LATE :!! ) I played both! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Bostondevil
Graduate Student at PWing school

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 7:00 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Where did you go to high school?
Jordan! Go Falcons! 1981 State 3A Basketball Champions (my senior year)!

Starting five: David Shaffer, Scott Pearce, Cliff Morris, Dallas Simmons, and Andre Webb. (Darryl 'Twiggy' Hunter started at the begining of the season but he suffered a career ending knee injury in December. Tough thing to see.)
Last edited by Bostondevil on June 9th, 2009, 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The time is out of joint, O cursed spite!
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » June 9th, 2009, 7:01 pm

Bostondevil wrote:
CameronBornAndBred wrote:
Where did you go to high school?
Jordan! Go Falcons! 1981 State 3A Basketball Champions (my senior year)!
Very cool.. '88 here. Did you know Devil84 (on DBR)? She would have been '80 if she graduated Duke in '84.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 7:03 pm

CBB, you, me, and Al Featherston.
Bostondevil

Post by Bostondevil » June 9th, 2009, 7:03 pm

And Devil84, yes, I knew/know Della.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » June 9th, 2009, 8:02 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
devildeac wrote: Road trip? Hell YES! And I'm sure clbunchofnumbers will join us for the meal, and some of us could stay at his house. Wonder which house Cathy would choose ;) And DukePA will probably also want to join us.
B-)

I think this could be a fun road trip. Just let me know when!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
YmoBeThere
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by YmoBeThere » June 9th, 2009, 8:21 pm

As of tomorrow, I will have my new car. A road trip is definitely in order.
cl15876
PWing School Endowed Professor

Post by cl15876 » June 9th, 2009, 8:26 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Road trip? Hell YES! And I'm sure clbunchofnumbers will join us for the meal, and some of us could stay at his house. Wonder which house Cathy would choose ;) And DukePA will probably also want to join us.
Absolutely I'm in, that sounds fun! Y'all are always welcome! :)
bjornolf wrote:I haven't been to the house of bone yet .....
Joe - give me a call anytime and I will do the same and we'll have to get together! It's been pretty busy lately, but would love to have you over!
wilson
PWing School Professor

Post by wilson » June 9th, 2009, 8:27 pm

YmoBeThere wrote:As of tomorrow, I will have my new car. A road trip is definitely in order.
Welcome to Atlanta, where the playas play.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » June 9th, 2009, 9:07 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm ba-ack! I had a fun time in Philly and in Jersey. The suggestions for things to do were quite handy. My hotel was next to the Reading Terminal Market, so I went there several times. Lunch the first day in Philly was a Reuben from Hershel's Deli (in the middle of the market). Easily the best corned beef I've ever had. I got pretzels on 2 separate occasions and also got ice cream at Bassett's. Also got a cheese steak at one of the places in RTM; never made it to the touristy places. It was pretty darn good, though. Got to play tourist; there are lots of pictures on my Facebook page.

My friends surprised me with a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Lots of pictures of that trip as well.
Hershel's Deli! That's the place I was talking about. Glad you liked it. I think I rated it 8F's - some day you've got to try Carnegie's corned beef, and of course their pastrami!

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - not quite around the corner from downtown Philly, but well worth the time!
I visited some friends in New Jersey after the conference and went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from their house. Only an hour by car. We took a ferry over from the Jersey side.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 9th, 2009, 10:44 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:
OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
ArkieDukie wrote:I'm ba-ack! I had a fun time in Philly and in Jersey. The suggestions for things to do were quite handy. My hotel was next to the Reading Terminal Market, so I went there several times. Lunch the first day in Philly was a Reuben from Hershel's Deli (in the middle of the market). Easily the best corned beef I've ever had. I got pretzels on 2 separate occasions and also got ice cream at Bassett's. Also got a cheese steak at one of the places in RTM; never made it to the touristy places. It was pretty darn good, though. Got to play tourist; there are lots of pictures on my Facebook page.

My friends surprised me with a trip to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island. Lots of pictures of that trip as well.
Hershel's Deli! That's the place I was talking about. Glad you liked it. I think I rated it 8F's - some day you've got to try Carnegie's corned beef, and of course their pastrami!

Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island - not quite around the corner from downtown Philly, but well worth the time!
I visited some friends in New Jersey after the conference and went to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island from their house. Only an hour by car. We took a ferry over from the Jersey side.
And you were so close to the Carnegie Deli, too......

Sue71

Post by Sue71 » June 10th, 2009, 12:35 am

Bostondevil wrote:
Sue71 wrote:
Bostondevil wrote:
Hey Sue, why don't you move to the East Coast? (Kidding on the square.)
Uhhh, random? :-??

But thanks. :D
Not exactly, Miles and I discussed you at dinner on Saturday night. We were plotting ways to entice you to the EST/EDT in summer.
:)) :)) :))
You don't walk the plank in NJ. You just disappear. Forever.
DevilAlumna

Post by DevilAlumna » June 10th, 2009, 1:55 am

I love this time of year, when the sun sets so late. Up here in Seattle, it didn't get dark until nearly 10PM tonight.

What do you folks do with the extra daylight - anything special?

I have a hard time sitting still and watching TV or being on the computer, so worked late (the daylight throws off my bodyclock, thinks it's only 5:30 when it's closer to 7), then went for a long walk after dinner. Still had an hour of daylight left!

Of course, it sucks 6 months from now, when it's pitch dark by 5:00PM, but I won't think about that just yet.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » June 10th, 2009, 8:09 am

DevilAlumna wrote:I love this time of year, when the sun sets so late. Up here in Seattle, it didn't get dark until nearly 10PM tonight.

It gets dark earlier here :lol:

But I have been known to play a little golf.

bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 10th, 2009, 8:27 am

cl15876 wrote:
bjornolf wrote:I haven't been to the house of bone yet .....
Joe - give me a call anytime and I will do the same and we'll have to get together! It's been pretty busy lately, but would love to have you over!
We should TOTALLY open a club called "the house of bone"! ;)

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » June 10th, 2009, 8:37 am

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:
DevilAlumna wrote:I love this time of year, when the sun sets so late. Up here in Seattle, it didn't get dark until nearly 10PM tonight.

It gets dark earlier here :lol:

But I have been known to play a little golf.
Yeah, you actually get MORE sun the further north you are, since the earth's north pole is tilted towards the sun during summer. Of course, during winter, you get LESS sun time than the more southern states. Out of curiosity, are the seasons the same in the southern hemisphere as the northern? Do they consider winter their "warm" season, or do they consider summer to be december through april there? I've always wondered that. Either way, it'd feel weird to me. :-o I assume it wouldn't matter to Hawaii, since it's always nice there. ;) It probably doesn't matter for most people living near the equator, either.

%%-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...