I have a stupid question about John Wall...

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Re: I have a stupid question about John Wall...

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 19th, 2009, 9:59 am

devildeac wrote:Looks like John Wall to Kentucky.

Discuss.
Good. I've said plenty I didn't want a stated one and done. If they decide after their first year, ok, but we shouldn't be going after guys who say up front they won't be there for year 2. Got a link on the report?
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 19th, 2009, 10:15 am

CameronBornAndBred wrote:

Discuss.
Good. I've said plenty I didn't want a stated one and done. If they decide after their first year, ok, but we shouldn't be going after guys who say up front they won't be there for year 2. Got a link on the report?
I totally agree. A one and done does nothing for a team. Besides, what if he turns out to be a dud on the college level.
I worship the Blue Devil!
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2009, 1:20 pm

Discuss.
Not really-it has been all over the DBR this AM with various reports and links.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » May 19th, 2009, 1:30 pm

Discuss.
Found this on WRAL.com.

http://www.highschoolot.com/content/story/5171858/
rockymtn devil
Part Time Student at PWing school
Part Time Student at PWing school

Post by rockymtn devil » May 19th, 2009, 8:09 pm

Discuss.
I disagree. I see no genuine difference between a stated one-and-done and someone who leaves after his freshman year. In the latter case, while it may not have been said publicly, it's no secret that the option is strongly being considered. The only potential issue I could see is an arrogance by the player disrupting the team, but I trust the coaching staff to make good decisions on such matters.

The reality is that Duke has gone after suspected (if not publicly stated) one-and-doners in the past. Corey Maggette was viewed as good enough to leave after a year when he entered Duke. I was at Duke when Deng came through and from time he set foot on campus I was under the impression that he was going to be there for a year. Sean Livingston made it known that he was deciding between Duke and the NBA (this was before the age limit) and, in the end, chose the NBA. Duke didn't rescind its scholarship because of that and, had he come to Duke, does anyone think it would not have been known that he was going to leave after a year?.

At this point I hope Nolan Smith has a productive summer in which he improves his PG abilities. I suspect he will and am looking forward to seeing the progress he makes. We need him.
:ymbilly: vs. :ymhiro: Ken vs. Ryu. Classic.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » May 19th, 2009, 9:55 pm

rockymtn devil wrote:

Discuss.
I disagree. I see no genuine difference between a stated one-and-done and someone who leaves after his freshman year. In the latter case, while it may not have been said publicly, it's no secret that the option is strongly being considered. The only potential issue I could see is an arrogance by the player disrupting the team, but I trust the coaching staff to make good decisions on such matters.
You make good and valid points. Maybe I prefer the facade of at least the assumption that the recruit intends to stay in school longer. When they flat out state that they won't, I'd rather skip them and recruit elsewhere.
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » May 19th, 2009, 11:18 pm

Count me in the group who's not disappointed that he's going to KY. The whole soap opera around his recruitment seemed strange to me. As in, fishy. Seems somewhat fitting that he ended up with Calipari.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
devildeac
PWing School Chancellor

Post by devildeac » May 19th, 2009, 11:23 pm

ArkieDukie wrote:Count me in the group who's not disappointed that he's going to KY. The whole soap opera around his recruitment seemed strange to me. As in, fishy. Seems somewhat fitting that he ended up with Calipari.
Mixed feelings here. He should be a fabulous player and we certainly could have used him at the point for a year but the "baggage" may have been just too much.
[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.
Hancock4Duke
PWing as a hobby
PWing as a hobby

Post by Hancock4Duke » June 9th, 2009, 4:03 pm

I thought the same thing. I knew he would be pretty good, but he DEFINITELY can't win a championship all by himself.
Oh, Zeller wishes he could be as good as Zoubek.
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » June 9th, 2009, 7:14 pm

Hancock4Duke wrote:I thought the same thing. I knew he would be pretty good, but he DEFINITELY can't win a championship all by himself.
What freshman could?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
TillyGalore
PWing School Professor

Post by TillyGalore » June 9th, 2009, 9:34 pm

captmojo wrote:
Hancock4Duke wrote:I thought the same thing. I knew he would be pretty good, but he DEFINITELY can't win a championship all by himself.
What freshman could?
Patrick Davidson!