Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

colchar
PWing School Professor

Facebook Just Keeps Getting Scummier And Scummier

Post by colchar » January 17th, 2011, 2:20 pm

Why am I not at all surprised by this?

http://www.thestar.com/business/article ... mbers?bn=1
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Lavabe
PWing School Chancellor
Location: Land of the Lost, Kentucky (pining for the fjords of Madagascar)

Re: Facebook Just Keeps Getting Scummier And Scummier

Post by Lavabe » January 18th, 2011, 9:45 am

Looks like people heard the outrage:
http://money.cnn.com/2011/01/18/technol ... tm?iid=HLM
2014, 2011, and 2009 Lemur Loving CTN NASCAR Champ. No lasers were used to win these titles.
DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Post by DukeUsul » January 18th, 2011, 9:49 am

This is why I deleted pretty much every single app from my FB page a year ago. No more FB apps for me. They're all scamming for your private info.
-- DukeUsul
Miles
PWing School Associate Professor

Post by Miles » January 18th, 2011, 10:16 am

I'm with DukeUsul, I've been going through and blocking all applications. That coupled with a few anti-Facebook plug-ins for Safari makes for quite a pleasant 'Facebooking' experience. I block all apps and I don't see any ads.
sMiles
colchar
PWing School Professor

Post by colchar » January 18th, 2011, 10:42 am

The problem is that, when using apps, they require you to allow them access to your private info, your friend's private info, your photos, your friend's photos, etc. How they can claim that the apps need access to people's photos just so they can take a stupid quiz is beyond me. But the main problem lies with your friends. if you have friends who use those apps, take those quizzes, or play stupid games like Farmville then they have to accept those terms when they use those things and, as a result, they end up giving the apps access to your info, photos, etc. even without you knowing. Facebook really pisses me off sometimes.

Actually, I think it is high time someone developed something similar that could compete with Facebook while actually respecting people's privacy. Maybe we should all band together and create something like that. Who knows, maybe we'd all become rich doing it!
". . . when a man is tired of London, he is tired of life; for there is in London all that life can afford."
— Samuel Johnson

----------

2010 & 2012 CTN NASCAR Fantasy League Champion. No lemurs were harmed in the winning of these titles.

----------
Miles

Post by Miles » January 19th, 2011, 5:39 pm

colchar wrote:The problem is that, when using apps, they require you to allow them access to your private info, your friend's private info, your photos, your friend's photos, etc. How they can claim that the apps need access to people's photos just so they can take a stupid quiz is beyond me. But the main problem lies with your friends. if you have friends who use those apps, take those quizzes, or play stupid games like Farmville then they have to accept those terms when they use those things and, as a result, they end up giving the apps access to your info, photos, etc. even without you knowing. Facebook really pisses me off sometimes.

Actually, I think it is high time someone developed something similar that could compete with Facebook while actually respecting people's privacy. Maybe we should all band together and create something like that. Who knows, maybe we'd all become rich doing it!
Facebook already provides measures for protecting your privacy, including blocking the information shared with other friends' applications. If you need some help with these settings, let me know and I'll happy to help. Here's a good link to get started.
sMiles
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 20th, 2011, 7:57 am

Awesome, thanks. I just turned off all apps. Hopefully, that'll block all that.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage