LTE 2.0

Anything goes, all topics welcome!

Moderator: CameronBornAndBred

DukeUsul
PWing School Assistant Professor
PWing School Assistant Professor

Re: LTE 2.0

Post by DukeUsul » January 15th, 2011, 1:45 pm

Anyone have good buffalo wings recipes (TNT???)? We're having a few people over for the Super Bowl and I'd like to make a few varieties of wings, but that's something I've never done. I'd love for some advice or recipes.
-- DukeUsul
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 15th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Just saw Rolvix on the Duke promo on ESPN. :happy-bouncyblue: :duke:
Duke born, Duke bred, cooking on a grill so I'm tailgate fed.
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 15th, 2011, 1:54 pm

DukeUsul wrote:Anyone have good buffalo wings recipes (TNT???)? We're having a few people over for the Super Bowl and I'd like to make a few varieties of wings, but that's something I've never done. I'd love for some advice or recipes.
You better PM him...TNT never reads the LTE. He does have a killer recipe though.
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 15th, 2011, 8:36 pm

The Miss America Pageant comes on TV tonight. I am so excited!
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 15th, 2011, 8:41 pm

CathyCA wrote:The Miss America Pageant comes on TV tonight. I am so excited!
I'm watching too. My cousin and I have a tradition of critiquing the pageant. I just texted her, and she's calling me back at 8:00.

I'm filling the time right now by watching the ESPNU All Access program about Duke. Glad I still have it on my DVR. :happy-bouncyblue:
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 15th, 2011, 9:36 pm

I haven't watched a pageant since my :duke: classmate, Marjorie Vincent, won Miss America. We don't have any contestants, do we?
Iron Duke #1471997.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 15th, 2011, 9:37 pm

For the second time in two weeks, my daughter's van has been hit in a parking lot. Everyone is fine. This time they were parked, as in not moving. The other guy got out of his truck, asked if they were OK, got back in his truck, and then left. His license plate number has been reported to the Avery County sheriff. Their right rear (sliding) door is dented. State Farm, and eventually the perp's insurance company, will pay for it. I figure the hit and run, with legal fees, court costs, insurance points, fines and what have you will cost him $5000 more than just paying for my daughter's van to get repaired out of pocket. Do our lawyers here agree, or am I underestimating his costs?
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 15th, 2011, 9:48 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:For the second time in two weeks, my daughter's van has been hit in a parking lot. Everyone is fine. This time they were parked, as in not moving. The other guy got out of his truck, asked if they were OK, got back in his truck, and then left. His license plate number has been reported to the Avery County sheriff. Their right rear (sliding) door is dented. State Farm, and eventually the perp's insurance company, will pay for it. I figure the hit and run, with legal fees, court costs, insurance points, fines and what have you will cost him $5000 more than just paying for my daughter's van to get repaired out of pocket. Do our lawyers here agree, or am I underestimating his costs?
He shouldn't have left the scene, but he probably did so because he was afraid that he'd be charged with something worse--DWI comes to mind.

He should have stayed and offered to pay for the damages. It would have been cheaper. The Sheriff's deputies will find him. He will be so sorry. . .
“The invention of basketball was not an accident. It was developed to meet a need. Those boys simply would not play 'Drop the Handkerchief.'”

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 15th, 2011, 9:48 pm

lawgrad91 wrote:
I haven't watched a pageant since my :duke: classmate, Marjorie Vincent, won Miss America. We don't have any contestants, do we?
There aren't any :duke: contestants in the Miss America Pageant this year.

I want to be Miss America. I used to go to Atlantic City for the pageant.

~ James Naismith
lawgrad91
PWing School Chancellor

Post by lawgrad91 » January 15th, 2011, 9:51 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:For the second time in two weeks, my daughter's van has been hit in a parking lot. Everyone is fine. This time they were parked, as in not moving. The other guy got out of his truck, asked if they were OK, got back in his truck, and then left. His license plate number has been reported to the Avery County sheriff. Their right rear (sliding) door is dented. State Farm, and eventually the perp's insurance company, will pay for it. I figure the hit and run, with legal fees, court costs, insurance points, fines and what have you will cost him $5000 more than just paying for my daughter's van to get repaired out of pocket. Do our lawyers here agree, or am I underestimating his costs?
I'm glad your daughter and family are okay.

I would imagine he ran because he has no insurance, and possibly has no license. If he has no insurance, his license will be suspended until he makes arrangements to pay off your daughter's insurance company. If he has no license, then the loss of something he doesn't have won't hurt him any, but the insurance company will still go after him.

In VA, you're not too far off, plus a mandatory license suspension for the hit and run. I can't imagine NC would be terribly different.
Iron Duke #1471997.
bjornolf
PWing School Professor

Post by bjornolf » January 16th, 2011, 8:02 am

lawgrad91 wrote:
I'm glad your daughter and family are okay.

I would imagine he ran because he has no insurance, and possibly has no license. If he has no insurance, his license will be suspended until he makes arrangements to pay off your daughter's insurance company. If he has no license, then the loss of something he doesn't have won't hurt him any, but the insurance company will still go after him.

In VA, you're not too far off, plus a mandatory license suspension for the hit and run. I can't imagine NC would be terribly different.
I'm not so sure about that. I had a similar situation a couple years ago at a Target in Northern VA, and basically, the police said that because it happened in a parking lot and there weren't any good witnesses, there really wasn't much they could do. Since no one was injured and parking lots are considered private property and not public roads, the rules are a lot different. When I reported it to the other driver's insurance company, GEICO, they basically told me to screw off, though much more politely.

@};-
@};- @};-
Qui invidet minor est...
Image Let's Go Duke! ImageImageImage
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 16th, 2011, 8:25 am

...and now for something completely different.PNG
...and now for something completely different.PNG (51.78 KiB) Viewed 222 times
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/basketball ... aab-307922
Say any more?
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 16th, 2011, 3:54 pm

I just spent part of the afternoon in a hospice facility. My friend Debbie died 14 months ago--some of you may remember that I was with her when she died. Today I went to the hospice to visit her dad who is dying. The family was gathered in his room, keeping vigil. After giving them hugs and telling them that I love them, Debbie's mom, Miss Pearl, asked me if I would like to "talk" with Ed. Ed is non-responsive and in the heavy breathing stage. Talk? How am I going to talk to someone who can't talk back?

So, I sat in the chair beside his bed, I held his hand, and I told him who I was and how much I loved him and Miss Pearl, and how they had led such a lovely life together during their 60 year marriage. I told him that they had raised two wonderful children, and that one of them, Debbie, was waiting for him on the other side. I told him that Pearl would be okay, that she was a strong woman and that there were lots of us who would look out for her, and that it was okay for him to go. I told him that lots of people in church this morning had missed him, and that we had prayed for him, and that the choir had sung a beautiful anthem this morning that he had probably heard before when Debbie was in the choir. I told him again how much I love him, and that I would miss him when he was gone.

Every time I said the name Debbie's name, Mr. Ed squeezed my hand.

In true brotherly fashion, as I was on my way out of the room, Doug said to me, "You know, he's probably afraid that the first person he's going to encounter on the other side is Debbie. She always gave Dad such a hard time. That's why he's hesitating to die." And then we both laughed.

Truvy said in Steel Magnolias, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." That's my favorite emotion, too. And today, I shared laughter through tears with friends.

When I went out to the car, the sun was shining, so I opened the sunroof and blasted U2's "Beautiful Day" as I drove home. It WAS a beautiful day.

~ James Naismith
CameronBornAndBred
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CameronBornAndBred » January 16th, 2011, 4:10 pm

CathyCA wrote: Truvy said in Steel Magnolias, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." That's my favorite emotion, too. And today, I shared laughter through tears with friends.

When I went out to the car, the sun was shining, so I opened the sunroof and blasted U2's "Beautiful Day" as I drove home. It WAS a beautiful day.
That's pretty amazing, thank you for sharing. You're gonna have tons of good karma coming your way.
OZZIE4DUKE
PWing School Chancellor

Post by OZZIE4DUKE » January 16th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Well done, Cathy. Beautiful words and thoughts. Debbie is pleased, I'm sure.
Your paradigm of optimism

:9f: :9f: Go To Hell carolina! Go To Hell! :9f: :9f:
9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F! 9F!

http://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com
captmojo
PWing School Endowed Professor
Location: It's lonely out in space on such a timeless flight.

Post by captmojo » January 16th, 2011, 4:26 pm

And, a fine gift to your departed friend. Well done. :-BD
"Backboards? Backboards? I'll show'em what to do with a f%#kin' backboard!"
ArkieDukie
Pwing School Dean

Post by ArkieDukie » January 16th, 2011, 5:07 pm

What CB&B, Ozzie, and captmojo said. Also a fine gift to the family. You have a beautiful soul, Cathy.
Most people say that is it is the intellect which makes a great scientist. They are wrong: it is character.
-- Albert Einstein
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 16th, 2011, 5:44 pm

CameronBornAndBred wrote:
CathyCA wrote: Truvy said in Steel Magnolias, "Laughter through tears is my favorite emotion." That's my favorite emotion, too. And today, I shared laughter through tears with friends.

That's pretty amazing, thank you for sharing. You're gonna have tons of good karma coming your way.
Thank you. I think that the more I look death squarely in the face, the less it scares me.

I didn't do it for the karma. I did it for Debbie.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 16th, 2011, 5:45 pm

OZZIE4DUKE wrote:Well done, Cathy. Beautiful words and thoughts. Debbie is pleased, I'm sure.
Thank you. I hope Debbie's pleased. She would have done the same thing for me.

~ James Naismith
CathyCA
PWing School Chancellor

Post by CathyCA » January 16th, 2011, 5:45 pm

captmojo wrote:And, a fine gift to your departed friend. Well done. :-BD
Thank you. I miss Debbie so much. This is the least I could do for her.

~ James Naismith